• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Zukkoyaki

Wattam is from Funomena and Santa Monica, right? That's one more.
I get the feeling that Sony may have dropped that game. There's no mention of it at all on Santa Monica's website but you can find pages for Bound, Modern Zombie, and Edith Finch.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Man, I'm worried God of War 4 will not be shown at E3. The design director was on a long ass trip to Italy just now. Surely they would be crunching hard for the showing by this time, no?

I get the feeling that Sony may have dropped that game. There's no mention of it at all on Santa Monica's website but you can find pages for Bound, Modern Zombie, and Edith Finch.

It was playable as recently as PSX, I highly doubt it.

Alongside Wattam, Hexa's list is also missing Tumble VR from Supermassive Games.

I don't think Sony's publishing Golem or Secret Sorcery's project (both sound like they have exclusive deals but are self-published), so you can remove them.

Other things I'd mention are Queasy Games, FromSoftware and Novarama, since they're all probably working with Sony on something (especially Queasy, who have one more game left on their three game contract).

Man, I'm worried God of War 4 will not be shown at E3. The design director was on a long ass trip to Italy just now. Surely they would be crunching hard for the showing by this time, no?

We will most likely be seeing it, but if the PS4k and Horizon delay stories are true, I highly doubt it would be out by fall 2017 and might be a Q1 2018 title.

I'm personally keeping my expectations low and expecting at least their announced exclusive games to be out by the end of 2017, such as GT: Sport, Horizon and Detroit. Maybe that Bend game if it ever gets announced.

Best wishes.

I doubt Sony would just show a title teaser at this point. They might go full-on and do a Horizon-style unveiling for the game. Lets see.

Well they were my two simple explanations for how the design director being in Italy, might have nothing to do with it not being at E3.

Firstly, not every studio relies heavily on crunch. Although I'll admit, I don't think SSM is one.

Secondly, if it's not playable or demo-able, and they just show footage, there is less crunch.

Since the OP hasn't been updated in a long time, is the following accurate at this point in time:

Japan Studio
The Last Gaurdian w/ genDESIGN (2016)
Gravity Rush 2 (2016)
Hot Shots Gold w/ Clap Hanz (2016)
The Playroom VR (2016)
The Tomorrow Children w/ Q-Games (2016)

Polyphony Digital
Gran Turismo Sport (2016)

Bend Studio
Rumored: Dead Don't Ride (TBA)

Naughty Dog
Uncharted 4 (May 10, 2016)

San Diego Studio
MLB The Show 17 (2017) Duh!
Killstrain (TBA, currently in Closed Beta)
Drawn to Death w/ The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency (TBA, currently in Closed Beta)

Santa Monica Studio
What Remains of Edith Fitch w/ Giant Sparrow (2016)
Rumored: Cory Balrog's Norse Mythology Based God of War (TBA)
Bound w/ Plastic Studios (TBA)
The Modern Zombie Taxi Co. w/ VITEI Backroom (TBA)
Wattam w/ Funomena

Sucker Punch Productions
Unannounced PS4 Game

PixelOpus
Unknown

London Studio
VR Worlds (2016)

Guerrilla Games
Horizon: Zero Dawn (2016, rumored delayed to 2017)

Guerrilla Cambridge
RIGS (2016)

Media Molecule
Dreams (TBA)

XDev
Shadow of the Beast (May 17, 2016)
Matterfall w/ Housemarque (TBA)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood w/ Supermassive Games (TBA)
Wild w/ Wild Sheep (TBA)

Quantic Dream
Detroit: Become Human (TBA)

North West Studio
Unannounced VR Game

Connected Content Group
Unknown

Other
PS4 Project by Kojima Productions
Tumble VR by Supermassive Games

I didn't realise Matterfall was an XDEV game - assumed it was an internal project for which they owned the IP. Interested to see more though - the concept looked cool, and their voxel work on Resogun was amazing.

Also, I don't recall hearing about that Modern Zombie Taxi Co. Will have to look it up. Might have just got lost in the noise of bigger announcements.

If it's not shown at E3 I think it will definitely be at PSX. Either way, it's going to be the big centrepiece of one of their conferences, and I'm expecting a 2017 release personally.

I doubt Sony would just show a title teaser at this point. They might go full-on and do a Horizon-style unveiling for the game. Lets see.

I hope that is taken as the template for all of their reveals in the future. I want to see reveals with a few minutes of gameplay footage.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hmm, not sure if a 2017 release for GoW4 will be likely. Maybe a late 2017 release? Even so, it should be shown at this E3 if it's going to come out next year.

FelipeMGM

Nerdleaks found some concept art for what looks like a western game. In the bottom of the pics it says ''Copyright of Sony Computer Entertainment''. ''Days Gone'' maybe?

ChFRBDWWkAIlLf3.jpg:large

ChFRAxQW4AAI_bL.jpg:large

DKHF

Hmm, not sure if a 2017 release for GoW4 will be likely. Maybe a late 2017 release? Even so, it should be shown at this E3 if it's going to come out next year.
Late 2017 or early 2018 probably. Leaning towards early 2018 given Sony's recent aversion (for good reasons) to releasing big AAA first/second party games in the holidays. Probably in March considering every console GoW has come out in that month.

sense

I'd expect June 2017 as they already have Horizon for March if rumours of delay is true.
I was gonna say feb for horizon and March for gow but they may not have two huge games like that so close to each other and split marketing dollars. So maybe March for horizon and June for gow like you say

DKHF

Just remembered OsirisBlack's rumour that GoW4 is a Neo/PS4.5 (which he said is launching Q1 2017) launch game, if that rumour is true then yeah my above predicted release window is way off.

FelipeMGM

The trademark has been dropped for a while and was never renewed. Adding that to the absence of the game on SMS page, now I do fear that this game might been dropped.
ChIm7mgW0AQxXkQ.jpg:large

salromano

The trademark has been dropped for a while and was never renewed. Adding that to the absence of the game on SMS page, now I do fear that this game might been dropped.
ChIm7mgW0AQxXkQ.jpg:large

It's odd though that it was dropped in October but the game still showed up at PSX 2015 in December as a Sony title.

Edit: Err, rather, searching USPTO says it was abandoned in September that year, so even earlier.

It's odd though that it was dropped in October but the game still showed up at PSX 2015 in December as a Sony title.

Edit: Err, rather, searching USPTO says it was abandoned in September that year, so even earlier.

It's almost as if Sony has a history of accidentally letting their trademarks expire prior to release and this is just another example.

DKHF

I hope Sony really push Gravity Rush 2 this E3. If it's still releasing this year have a nice stage demo or at least trailer with the release date at the end. Ideally releasing around August-September. If GR2 flops the future is not looking good for the IP so hopefully they will give it a decent push, and release it in a somewhat quiet time where it can get the spotlight.

what if RDR2 is exclusive..

The only way I could see that happening is as a favour from Rockstar to Sony in exchange for Agent going down the shitter. Otherwise, no chance. I can't imagine the amount of money it would take to buy a Rockstar game's exclusivity these days.

Walpurgis

Banned
I hope Sony really push Gravity Rush 2 this E3. If it's still releasing this year have a nice stage demo or at least trailer with the release date at the end. Ideally releasing around August-September. If GR2 flops the future is not looking good for the IP so hopefully they will give it a decent push, and release it in a somewhat quiet time where it can get the spotlight.
It's Sony. GR will stealth release a week before PS4k or PSVR and bomb. They couldn't even be arsed to release the remaster at retail, for god's sake. Savour GR2 while you can because it is the last you'll be seeing from Kat.

There's very little chance of that happening, Very few Japanese games gets the spotlight in SCEA/SIEA conferences, TLG was more of an exception because of its special situation.

DKHF

It's Sony. GR will stealth release a week before PS4k or PSVR and bomb. They couldn't even be arsed to release the remaster at retail, for god's sake. Savour GR2 while you can because it is the last you'll be seeing from Kat.
I think they are at least smart enough to know to release it in a quiet time of year for game releases. An impressive showing in their E3 conference and good release timing could save the IP. There's also the anime they are making for it (which is no doubt very expensive) so maybe they will get behind GR a lot more this time, let's hope so.
There's very little chance of that happening, Very few Japanese games gets the spotlight in SCEA/SIEA conferences, TLG was more of an exception because of its special situation.
They give the spotlight to a lot of indie games in their E3 pressers so I don't see why they wouldn't give it to a significantly costly first party developed game. I think there will be a trailer for sure.

They give the spotlight to a lot of indie games in their E3 pressers so I don't see why they wouldn't give it to a significantly costly first party developed game. I think there will be a trailer for sure.

They wanted more then a month after the Japanese announcement to post a confirmation that the game will release in North America on the PSBlog. They don't see it as a priority or an important games in my opinion.

DKHF

They wanted more then a month after the Japanese announcement to post a confirmation that the game will release in North America on the PSBlog. They don't see it as a priority or an important games in my opinion.
They don't see it as a priority but if it's coming this year they will have a trailer in the conference IMO. I'm just hoping they make it a good trailer, don't release it in a terrible time and give it some decent marketing when it releases (especially if Horizon and GT Sport are delayed and they have few retail exclusives to market).

Shin-Ra

NnK2cry.gif

Puppeteer, Rain and more were debuted at SCE western shows.

My biggest disappointment for Ni no Kuni 2 was the lack of details following PSX, despite the original announcement being planned for E3.

DKHF

NnK2cry.gif

My biggest disappointment for Ni no Kuni 2 was the lack of details following PSX, despite the original announcement being planned for E3.
I'm curious how far away from release Ni no Kuni 2 is... I'm guessing mid-late 2017. Hopefully we see some more of it (with gameplay) at this E3.

NnK2cry.gif

Those two were announced at Gamescom a SCEE/SIEE show, I was specifically talking about the SCEA/SIEA shows.

I do give you Ni No Kuni 2 though, forgot about it. It might show up and PSX since it's a bit more smaller in scope and others Japanese games were announced and/or localized there, I just don't think will see GR2 at E3.

This was posted by an UBI employee

I saw a Sony first party #PS4 game today which is still in development. My reaction literally was...

This is the gif he posted

joaquin-phoenix-shocks9jcv.gif

https://twitter.com/SunnyGearSolid/status/725010936982061057

Speculation is that he's referring to Gran Turismo Sport as this was posted on GTplanet and Jordan (the guy that runs the site and has tight connections with Polyphony) "liked" the post. Rumor is that its been shown around recently and we've now got confirmation that Polyphony has been inviting GT Academy participants to London for an event that starts on May 18th and runs through the 20th.

pixelbox

It's all about that money. You can't expect them to promote a game that didn't sell well and was on a dead handheld. Unrealistic IMO. Gravity Rush 2 could be a great VR game though...

Loris146

Speculation is that he's referring to Gran Turismo Sport as this was posted on GTplanet and Jordan (the guy that runs the site and has tight connections with Polyphony) "liked" the post. Rumor is that its been shown around recently and we've now got confirmation that Polyphony has been inviting GT Academy participants to London for an event that starts on May 18th and runs through the 20th.

It's time.

Dovahking

My body is ready :)

Turkoop

Banned

Very interesting

It's all about that money. You can't expect them to promote a game that didn't sell well and was on a dead handheld. Unrealistic IMO. Gravity Rush 2 could be a great VR game though...

Source?

Even before the game released on Vita they wanted it to be a digital only game in the west, people had to beg for it to release at retail, one of their most interesting games in the Vita's launch window.

They didn't have big expectation for it from the very beginning.

Top Bottom