• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Geforce GTX 10 Series - GTX1080 - $599 - May 27th, GTX1070 = $379

McHuj

So, as an owner of a 3570k and a GTX 670, I assume a GTX 1070 would be a huge improvement for a relatively cheap price?

I went from a 670 to a 970 and thought that was a huge upgrade, so yes, it will be huge not only for the raw performance but the huge memory increase as well.

Why was there no 800 series?

Honoured respect to the great and glorious 8800GTX.. Even Nvidia understands truly what a god the 8800GTX was and how it would be absolute heresy to release a card with a similar name. Honestly I have no idea really.

I am still on a GTX 670 here paired with an i5 2500k. Think it is time to start the upgrade cycle again. This year I will treat myself to a brand spanking new 1070 and then next year I will take a look at what Intel are offering cpu wise.

RudoIudo

So what are you guys expecting from GTX 1060 and does anyone know when we could expect it to hit the stores ?

Anyway upgrading from my 560 ti should feel great.

I guess very close to 980 performance.
I expect an analogue gtx580/gtx660 situation where the cards would roughly perform the same.

The only problem is that the 1070 seems just too good.

E-Cat

I took them around 9 months to introduce the 980Ti after they introduced the 980. This time around it could even take a bit longer as they (probably and just my speculation) want to have something to challenge AMDs Volta. AMSs new polaris architecture doesn't seem to target the high end market.
You mean 'Vega'. Volta is NVIDIA's next-gen arch.

Durante

Um, help a brother out:

I have a 980. I was thinking about getting a second one and SLI. Is that still a good plan?
SLI is almost never a good plan, especially not if there is a single GPU (1080) that will give you similar performance far more reliably and in all games.

AMD must surely announce something soon or everyone will blow their load on Pascal cards.
According to all rumours AMD doesn't have anything to announce in the 1080/1070 performance tier.

That Zotac page (linked here, since Videocardz didn't link their source) sure gives us no extra information!

Curious to see what differences there actually are between the manufacturers for the Founders Edition.

Ragona

Think i should upgrade my Cpu (2500k) before I replace my GPU (R9 390).
Wish Nvidia would just adopt Free Sync, because i really want one of those modern screens, but even though Nvidia has great Gpus, I just dont like locking myself to one company :/

ChuckNyce

Man I just got a 980ti a few months ago.. Might wait for the 1080ti I think. But these cards certainly look attractive. I have an evga card.....what is the step up program like?

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

You've got 90 days from date of purchase to step up to another card. Once you're through the queue you'll pay the difference between the two cards plus shipping, ship them your card, then they'll ship you the 1080. Just built a new rig with a 980ti last month and it's what I'm planning to do, assuming decent gains noted in independent benchmarks.

Soren01

Think i should upgrade my Cpu (2500k) before I replace my GPU (R9 390).
Wish Nvidia would just adopt Free Sync, because i really want one of those modern screens, but even though Nvidia has great Gpus, I just dont like locking myself to one company :/
That's my concern ... I think the time is coming to change my processor

AmyS

Also remember, the jump from 780 to 780 Ti (both were GK110) was much smaller than the jump from 980 to 980 Ti (GM104 to GM200).

I'm hoping GTX 1080 to 1080 Ti will be at least as much as 980 to 980 Ti, if not more, especially with 1080 Ti almost certainly using HBM2.

How long do nVidia take to announce / release a Ti variant? I'm tempted by the 1080 but would prefer to wait for the Ti. Problem is my 780Ti with only 3GB isn't going to cope with VRAM hungry games coming out.

Durante

What people really need to realize is that HBM2 by itself won't make for a faster GPU. What it does is allow you to keep a faster GPU fed, but you still need to build that GPU.

It makes it possible to basically disregard bandwidth concerns when speculating about future Titan/"1080ti" performance, but that performance still has to come from the GPU.

Is there any info about retail boxes?

I could make the jump to 1080 only if the box is actually 38% bigger too.

980x.jpg

What people really need to realize is that HBM2 by itself won't make for a faster GPU. What it does is allow you to keep a faster GPU fed, but you still need to build that GPU.

It makes it possible to basically disregard bandwidth concerns when speculating about future Titan/"1080ti" performance, but that performance still has to come from the GPU.

While true -I don't understand the obsession here for HBM2 regarding performance- it also opens a new front regarding form factor. Smaller PCB and lower power consumption is always welcome. And I wonder if it should bring longer lifespan, since most GPUs die from memory failing on a way too crowded PCB.

Aegus

So tempted by a 1070 as a temporary replacement for my 770 then I will upgrade my entire rig next year.

mhayze

True, I am still on my 980 and I didn't bump for the TI because I wanted to wait for pascal but I am starting to feel itchy and I don't think I can hold out for the 1080ti now, I might just go in on the 1080 as it will give me the extra speed I need for 1440p and like you say along with the added vram and possible DX12 gains it would be worth it for me.

I'm in the same boat. I expect that there will be a price drop on the 1080 when or shortly after 1080 ti launches (going by past trends). So you will take a bit of a hit. There will be a smaller hit on the 1070, so I'm leaning that way because I definitely want the 1080ti in the long term, but I can't wait.

Still way to early to tell because of the lack of meaningful benchmarks, but even the jump from a 670 to a 970 would have been great so even in a worst case scenario (1070 just 10-15% faster than the 970): Yes a very reasonable upgrade and a huge boost in performance.

Edit: if the 1070 is indeed faster than a Titan X, you might want to consider upgrading your CPU too. Because it will start to bottleneck you.

I think the overclocked 2x00k series should keep it fed in most scenarios without a significant performance hit.

Twice the perf of a Titan X did I hear him say?

I call bollocks.

I too doubt that it will be clearly 2x the Titan X in every scenario or on average. In VR scenarios, probably yes, in non-VR, I'm going to guess closer to 1.5 - 1.8x. Overclocked to overclocked, maybe 1.7x - 2x.

Also remember, the jump from 780 to 780 Ti (both were GK110) was much smaller than the jump from 980 to 980 Ti (GM104 to GM200).

I'm hoping GTX 1080 to 1080 Ti will be at least as much as 980 to 980 Ti, if not more, especially with 1080 Ti almost certainly using HBM2.

Because of the jump to HBM2 (from GDDR5), I think the jump will be most prominent in 4k+ scenarios and VR. At 1080p and 1440p, I wonder. Also, going forward, there will be support for higher bit-depth / HDR, which is almost like a resolution increase in terms of memory bandwidth, but I'm not sure when games start supporting that.

There wasn't a lot of coverage of the fact that it support HDMI 2.0b and DP 1.4, both of which support 4K @ 120hz. That's big (no pun intended) - I love my 1440p 144hz monitor, and have been holding off on a 4K display until they support 120hz at least, so that should be coming soon as well (maybe by next year).

Bluforce

Why they still use a 256bit bus instead of a bigger one?

AMD on the R9 390 use a 512bit bus.

Is it a technical reason?

Why they still use a 256bit bus instead of a bigger one?

AMD on the R9 390 use a 512bit bus.

Is it a technical reason?

Because they don't need to use brute force approach

256bit 10Ghz GDDR5X is already almost matching 512bit 6Ghz memory and Nvidia uses compression technique that makes their bandwidth around 30% more efficient (in Maxwell we don't know how much better Pascal will be)

Oxn

I'm going from a 780 to a 1080Ti.

I believe that's going to be one hell of a performance boost.

4k Here I come....................need a 4k monitor though.

Also have a 780

Thats what I plan on doing as well if I am strong enough for the next 10months or so. These are going to be trying times.

Echoplx

1070 is supposedly 150W TDP, only 5W more than 970, so a mini version shouldn't be a problem in terms of cooling.

I think the 8GB of GDDR5 will be a bigger problem, need space on the PCB to fit it all.

Unless there's higher density chips now?

I'll upgrade my 980ti to a 1080ti as long as MSI or EVGA release a watercooled version.

Man what a time to be alive, lol.

That 1070 is going to sell like hotcakes.

Both cards are looking awesome, just sucks yet again with Nvidia having such a huge price gap between the 1070 and 1080 yet again like the 970 and 980.

Top Bottom