• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Dirty Pair TV has been translated by anonymous Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.
A57-67.jpg

EDIT:
Now picked up for official US release: http://dirty-pair.rightstuf.com/

If you like 80's cartoons, or if you like Japtoons, you probably want to see this show.

For those unfamiliar with the series, it's a 26 episode Sunrise show from the 80's following the adventures of Kei and Yuri, who work as "Trouble Contractors" for a government organization called the 3WA. Although they officially go by the nickname "Lovely Angels" they are known as the "Dirty Pair" because they usually wreck shit whenever they are on a job.

Available with both Russian and English subs. You can find it in all the usual places one would go to when looking to find Japanimation.

The subtitles (edit: for the first 10 eps or so, then the quality drops off after they ran out of old fansub scripts, but it's licensed now, so get those!) are fantastic. No karaoke, no stilted dialog from people who can't write their way out of a paper bag obsessed with so called "accuracy." We're talking Trish Ledoux style localized subtitles the way god intended. This has been a public service announcement.

If you anonymous Russians ever read this post, thank you, thank you so much.

mollipen

...Japtoons?

Even so, this thread is about Dirty Pair, one of the best things Japan ever gave the world, so I can do nothing but give it my fully support.

shidoshi said:
...Japtoons?

Even so, this thread is about Dirty Pair, one of the best things Japan ever gave the world, so I can do nothing but give it my fully support.

Japtoons, cartoons, Japanese cartoons, Japanese animation, Japanimation. Pretty sure I didn't leave anything out. Pretend I used your favorite.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, don't say japtoons. I don't even think I've heard that one before.

Anyway, Dirty Pair rules. Thank you annonymous Russians. I will be checking this out.

Koshiba

I thought this was now being translated by several fansub groups as well? Either way, I love the Dirty Pair so it's good news. :)

Mrs. Manky said:
Man, I haven't heard the name Trish LeDoux in ages.

I feel so old. :)

I happen to be slowly going through.... all of Ranma, and I just watched Key so her name is all over the place on those.

Man, remember when subtitles actually read well? These modern day fansubbers and even the stuff being put out on dvd is 100 years to early to compete with a well written vintage sub job. Unfortunately that era is over, this new style won't die even if you kill it. I'll never forgive them!

Koshiba said:
I thought this was now being translated by several fansub groups as well? Either way, I love the Dirty Pair so it's good news. :)
Yeah you should probably just get this. I don't think anyone is going to be able to top the quality. Drink one for the ruskies tonight folks.

Epcott

Japtoons? :lol whaaaaaaa?

Dirty Pair pre Adam Warren and pre Flash = Fook Jeah!
Dirty Pair translated by anonymous Russians = whaaaaaaa?

zoku88

wth, i thought I had seen Dirty Pair (the original and wtv that new series was called) on TechTV before. Like, in English. I'm so confused.

zoku88 said:
wth, i thought I had seen Dirty Pair (the original and wtv that new series was called) on TechTV before. Like, in English. I'm so confused.

You're thinking of the "Flash" tv series, the OVA series, or the movies which were put out by the late ADV films.

Wow.

I did NOT expect to see this kind of news here at GAF.

Kudos, OP.

I already have the series translated from years ago, but the quality is pretty poor. I'll definitely be tracking this down.

zoku88

pancakesandsex said:
You're thinking of the "Flash" tv series, the OVA series, or the movies which were put out by the late ADV films.
so, more or less, everything BUT the TV series was put out?

zoku88 said:
so, more or less, everything BUT the TV series was put out?

Yep.

ADV was going to release it, but rumor has it they didn't because the sales for the OAVs/Movies weren't what they were hoping for.

Typical.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Yep.

ADV was going to release it, but rumor has it they didn't because the sales for the OAVs/Movies weren't what they were hoping for.

Typical.

I thought it was a licensing cost issue, with it having some kind of unrealistic price tag (this is Sunrise after all). Shame. 80's cartoons are so awesome, not to mention YAS characters.

pancakesandsex said:
I thought it was a licensing cost issue, with it having some kind of unrealistic price tag (this is Sunrise after all). Shame. 80's cartoons are so awesome, not to mention YAS characters.

Yeah, that's what it was. They figured it wasn't worth the effort to release it if sales weren't great, especially with the high licensing costs put into the equation.

They got BADLY burned by a lot of those Sunrise deals, especially Dunbine.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Yeah, that's what it was. They figured it wasn't worth the effort to release it if sales weren't great, especially with the high licensing costs put into the equation.

They got BADLY burned by a lot of those Sunrise deals, especially Dunbine.

Shame on Dunbine. I REALLY should have bought that as it was coming out, but I was dumb. Impossible to get the last few vols now.

pancakesandsex said:
Shame on Dunbine. I REALLY should have bought that as it was coming out, but I was dumb. Impossible to get the last few vols now.

I've got several friends in search for them as well. I was fortunate enough to get them for really good prices just as they were going out of print.

Koshiba

pancakesandsex said:

Yeah, took me a long time to track down the final volume myself. :[ Though now I'm just having trouble with with last Maison Ikkoku boxset. City Hunter was annoying to get the last of as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this sort of thing really makes me wish smaller distributors would start using digital distribution.

The prices are great, but I'm not looking forward to ripping over 10 hours of short TV programs complete with subs to my HTPC

FnordChan

SonicMegaDrive said:
No, those were the OAVs, which took place after the TV series ended.

Yep, the ADV released the 10 episode OVA series, as well as a three movie box set, which was also released as individual (and, currently, far cheaper) single-discs of Affair on Nolandia, Project Eden, and Flight 005 Conspiracy. Collect 'em all!

Meanwhile, I'm completely stoked that someone finally licensed the TV series in the US. Thanks, Right Stuf! I'll be cheerfully forking over my hard earned for both sets as soon as they're released.

Fno-Fno-Fno-Fno-FnordChan Roulette

Snaku

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
So I'm bringing this thread back because this just got picked up for US release.

http://dirty-pair.rightstuf.com/

TRSI is having a 40% off sale to, which will apply to your pre-order till the end of the day.

Order total for the whole thing comes to a little over 60 bucks with the discount.

Thanks for the heads up. Put my order in, but I'll keeping an eye on Amazon to see if their pre-order price ever drops below $30 for each set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom