• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

T.O.P

Banned
Doom 4 was in development hell which is why the great result we got is shocking.

How much time ago were those screens leaked? i'm guessing 5-6 years more or less?

@hell, now that i think about it, Rage came out in 2011 and it looked a generation apart from those screens

The Flash

Banned
Also, a reminder that this is what Doom 4 looked like at one point
canned-DOOM-4-screenshot-11.jpg

canned-DOOM-4-screenshot-8.jpg

canned-DOOM-4-screenshot-7.jpg

This game is like the Anti-Fuse

When the sequel/reboot avoids turning into generic crap just right

bw1cvqJ.png

OSHAN

It pulled me away from UC, which I was very much anticipating. I've been playing it all weekend since Friday, and have about four chapters to go. The single player is the real deal. The secrets, challenges, runes, and difficulty options are all great too.

I'm really impressed by how it is just fucking Doom. When the game ramps up, and your weapons are fully loaded and upgraded, and you're flying around the map weaving through hell while laying waste to every demon that spawns . . . it's fucking great.

I haven't touched the mp yet. I'm bummed the season pass is mp content only.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Some people, myself included, think the MP is awesome, pure old skool fun. Woeful is OTT.
I whole heartedly disagree. Lose the demons and load-outs, re-balance the weapons accordingly, give everyone permanent haste, re-code the game's multiplayer to use hosted dedicated servers instead of this P2P dumb-fuckery - no, seriously, fuck anyone who thinks this is OK in 2016 - lose the season pass, add in the music from the SP, and you'd be at "old skool fun". The demon's alone destroy any claims to "old skool". This is "Certain Affinity MP with Doom models" more than "Doom with new trappings". And it's sad, because its going to hurt the overall package, when the SP is the best shooter we've seen in years.

Eusis

Such a cool little gif. I also enjoyed the death animation when dying in lava with the T2 reference. This game has really surprised me. Was expecting a turd and instead they delivered a fresh and exciting new experience. Well done id.

Between this and Wolfenstein also beating expectations, I think we can say that id is back.
It's really strange how it seems being bought by Bethesda was necessary for them as a game developer, when it looke dlike it'd have been probably more bad than good after John Carmack left. But then he's more a code guy than a design guy anyway.

Ixion

I called it one year ago that DOOM would be the Fury Road of video games. See this DoomWorld thread I made (which no one responded to lol);

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-2...e-video-game-equivalent-of-mad-max-fury-road/

Based on what we know so far, I think there's some potentially interesting parallels between Doom 4 and Mad Max: Fury Road.

Let's look at both Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) and the original DOOM (1993). Both installments are very important and inspirational for their respective genres, both are simple in ways that todays movies/games are complex (straight storytelling and no filler) and they're complex in ways that todays games/movies are simple (stunt-work and practical effects for Mad Max, level design for Doom), and they've both aged very well.

Mad Max: Fury Road saw the return of a somewhat irrelevant franchise, it took what made Road Warrior special and and it amped it up to 11, all while using modern technology in ways that helped instead of hindering the formula. The franchise that inspired todays films returned to show how it's done. And it feels fresh.

You can see the parallels with Doom 4. While the original games are hugely inspirational, the franchise has lost some mainstream relevancy, but the new installment seems to forego many modern staples in order to deliver an amped up old-school shooter with some modern twists.

After having played the game, that comparison is spot on, especially since both Fury Road and DOOM provide a similar level of exhilaration that other films/games haven't done for me in a long time.

The Flash

Banned
I whole heartedly disagree. Lose the demons and load-outs, re-balance the weapons accordingly, give everyone permanent haste, re-code the game's multiplayer to use hosted dedicated servers instead of this P2P dumb-fuckery - no, seriously, fuck anyone who thinks this is OK in 2016 - lose the season pass, add in the music from the SP, and you'd be at "old skool fun". The demon's alone destroy any claims to "old skool". This is "Certain Affinity MP with Doom models" more than "Doom with new trappings". And it's sad, because its going to hurt the overall package, when the SP is the best shooter we've seen in years.

Cih7ORiW0AEaesX.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I called it one year ago that DOOM would be the Fury Road of video games. See this DoomWorld thread I made (which no one responded to lol);

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-2...e-video-game-equivalent-of-mad-max-fury-road/

The prophet.

DOOM is on dedis. All it needs is a multi-mode that removes demons, loadouts, and makes weapons map spawns.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Bethesda made this game look like utter shit with the multiplayer beta, yet it turns out to actually be an awesome single player game. Whoever was leading marketing needs to be fired.

Skab

Game is amazing.

Now that we've had good returns from both Doom and Wolf, it's time for Quake to return. (Preferably finally going back to the Q1 setting.)

Such a cool little gif. I also enjoyed the death animation when dying in lava with the T2 reference. This game has really surprised me. Was expecting a turd and instead they delivered a fresh and exciting new experience. Well done id.

Between this and Wolfenstein also beating expectations, I think we can say that id is back.

id didn't do Wolfenstein.

Xater

How much time ago were those screens leaked? i'm guessing 5-6 years more or less?

@hell, now that i think about it, Rage came out in 2011 and it looked a generation apart from those screens

I honestly can't tell you when they leaked. I want to say 3-4 years ago. It was still a last gen game.

Freeman76

For some people its fun, you dont like it, dont fucking play it.

The only thing that stops this game from having a 10/10 from me is the multiplayer lags for me. Extremely annoying for me considering the beta was very smooth.

hlhbk

The reviews are going to be all over the place and completely miss the point of the game. This was never supposed to be Doom call of duty and thank god for that!

One of the best compliments I can give this game is as a fan of Doom for 23 years and beating the first 2 countless times I I started playing this game and it felt like I was playing the original gameplay wise. The speed, and just the overall game is a prettier extension of the original. This is easily up there for GOTY contender for me.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Cool. This is a Halo 5 situation, where the game can use either. And most of the time its on P2P. Simple check: notice how the ping numbers changed from the beta into ping bars in the full release? Can't spot the player with zero ping anymore, which identifies the player-host, but it's still P2P most of the time.

Edit:
I got to Madagascar in Uncharted on Thursday and then Doom unlocked and I haven't touched or thought of Uncharted 4 since. lol

I managed to show off and convince 3 friends to buy the game and we've all been having a blast in SnapMap, which besides the campaign, is a terrific mode with a ton of possibilities and big time sink. I haven't even had a chance to try multi yet.
Agreed. I played a map where I was a raccoon, having to run around and feed trash to my baby imp-raccoon children so they don't starve to death. GOTY.

Simo

I got to Madagascar in Uncharted on Thursday and then Doom unlocked and I haven't touched or thought of Uncharted 4 since. lol

I managed to show off and convince 3 friends to buy the game and we've all been having a blast in SnapMap, which besides the campaign, is a terrific mode with a ton of possibilities and big time sink. I haven't even had a chance to try multi yet.

HorseFD

So far some very postive reviews, which is great.

People seem to not really like the multiplayer, but I played it for a few hours last night and had a lot of fun in team deathmatch.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Bethesda made this game look like utter shit with the multiplayer beta, yet it turns out to actually be an awesome single player game. Whoever was leading marketing needs to be fired.
Hmmmm, interesting, seeing as how I disliked the beta.
I'll add it to my list, then.

Xater

seriously, look at how slow and lethargic this footage looks. I wrote the game off after seeing the E3 stage demo because, yeesh. A lesson on how not to show off your game.

Bethesda also managed to not show off Wolfenstein well. They don't seem to get what actually makes their games fun.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Actually kind of excited for this. Not going to buy it just yet though, too much to play right now, will probably wait till I get my 1080.

I also give the Shotgun a 10/10

I love that they don't fuck around and give you the shotgun right away. No "Oh, you have to play with just the pistol for 30 minutes..." BS. Just "Here is the pistol, it sucks. Here is the shotgun, you will use this till the end of the game"

Small correction:

After you get the Super Shotgun, your regular Shotgun will gather dust until the end of the game. Hell Knight? Super Shotgun. Revenant? Super Shotgun. Pinky? Super Shotgun. Cacodemon? Fuck it, Super Shotgun, they fly right at your face in this game anyways.

Baron of Hell? Well, okay. Rocket Launcher or Railgun for that. Those fuckers hurt.

RedRum

Banned
Also, so far the reviews are looking good. Definitely came away with more than what I got with the beta. Well done.

kzuYR2y.gif

A-V-B

Small correction:

After you get the Super Shotgun, your regular Shotgun will gather dust until the end of the game. Hell Knight? Super Shotgun. Revenant? Super Shotgun. Pinky? Super Shotgun. Cacodemon? Fuck it, Super Shotgun, they fly right at your face in this game anyways.

Baron of Hell? Well, okay. Rocket Launcher or Railgun for that. Those fuckers hurt.

I still used the regular shotgun to put imps into stagger, and clear out smaller groups with the alt-fire nade.

Xater

Small correction:

It's just proof that the Super Shotgun is still the best shotgun in video games.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If Polygon will give the game a low score they'll get ripped apart lol.

Rip and tear, until it's done

Small correction:

True, but I really like the grenade launcher upgrade for the regular shotgun.

Metal-Geo

Single player is a shitton of fun. Game gets a solid 8/10 from me. Recommended for everyone who wants a tense, fast action paced shooter.

Top Bottom