• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

A video that came out before release shows that Geralt had a much quicker dodge, and fighting certain enemies, you can really tell they were designed with that in mind. Things like Gargoyles and Elementals have slam attacks, that even if you react quickly (in melee range to attack) to their moves, the AOE still hits you. Feels sloppy.

Eusis

A video that came out before release shows that Geralt had a much quicker dodge, and fighting certain enemies, you can really tell they were designed with that in mind. Things like Gargoyles and Elementals have slam attacks, that even if you react quickly (in melee range to attack) to their moves, the AOE still hits you. Feels sloppy.
Probably wanted it balanced for what you'd actually fight most of the time (humans or human sized enemies), kind of going "eh" to those larger enemies.

Probably wanted it balanced for what you'd actually fight most of the time (humans or human sized enemies), kind of going "eh" to those larger enemies.

True enough. I bet the game was even easier than it was at launch, and they changed things last minute to make it harder.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Okay, I'm Level 38 1/2. I'd like to get to 39 before B&W hits. How do I get good XP? I have no quests left that would be in my level range.

Should I finish Velen before going to Skellige? I got plenty of points of interests left, but I've already put leveled a few Skellige quests in my log.

CHC

Should I finish Velen before going to Skellige? I got plenty of points of interests left, but I've already put leveled a few Skellige quests in my log.

Just do whatever you feel like, you're free to return at any time. Probably more engaging to do the main story while it's level appropriate though, so I would say hit up Skellige.

up to you, I personally finished most side missions in Velen before I went to Skellige. Made Skellige easier and anyways you'll be reaching hard missions in Skellige it doesn't hurt to have some levels/EXP in reserve to deal with it

Okay, I'm Level 38 1/2. I'd like to get to 39 before B&W hits. How do I get good XP? I have no quests left that would be in my level range.

Similar boat to you, finished HoS with 38 and something. Doesn't bother me though, I think B&W is for levels
and onwards so I should be able to reach the level 40 mark for
grandmaster armor
not too far off from the beginning/first third of the game.

Broank

OK I finally finished Hearts of Stone tonight and man that was fucking amazing. Finished just at Level 40
fuck O'Dimm, saved Olgierd and he seems like an OK guy with his heart restored. Also had Iris keep the rose and stay in the world.

Kinda raises my expectations sky high for Blood and Wine. If it can come close to that level of quality then I will be having an amazing time next week!

Did they update how some quests work in a patch? I remember having to dive for a sword in the Iron Maiden quest, but this time I just fought someone. Like it better now. Less of those underwater shenanigans.

Hippo.gif

TheKeyPit

Banned
Similar boat to you, finished HoS with 38 and something. Doesn't bother me though, I think B&W is for levels
and onwards so I should be able to reach the level 40 mark for
grandmaster armor
not too far off from the beginning/first third of the game.

But I want that Viper set :(

Edit: I'll just grind some unknown locations :/

Auctopus

Did they update how some quests work in a patch? I remember having to dive for a sword in the Iron Maiden quest, but this time I just fought someone. Like it better now. Less of those underwater shenanigans.

I thought "Iron Maiden" was always just
fight her on the hill on that island then go back to village and bonk he
r.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It's true, that shit ain't canon. The only true Geralt is Geralt, the Bunny of Blaviken.

Didn't the glasses belong to The Professor from the first game? They are cool for an easter egg but they shouldn't have been purchasable. Geralt looks stupid wearing them.

As far as I know, she would randomly pick between those two tasks for Geralt's "epic quest".

I thought "Iron Maiden" was always just
fight her on the hill on that island then go back to village and bonk he
r.

She would only agree to fight if Geralt has proven himself to be "worthy" enough. When I started that quest, Geralt is already well-known as "the guy who beat down a bear with his bare fists" so she just agrees immediately.

So in the ending where Ciri
becomes a Witcher, one of the options you have for her blade is to have it inscribed with a quote (the alternative option is just her name). Can anyone further explain the significance of the quote? Geralt says it's an old Witcher saying.

MadYarpen

becomes a Witcher, one of the options you have for her blade is to have it inscribed with a quote (the alternative option is just her name). Can anyone further explain the significance of the quote? Geralt says it's an old Witcher saying.

ALternative option is the name of her sword from the books too. So it is not "just her name" :) I immediately knew it was the right choice!
I don't remember the saying though.

ALternative option is the name of her sword from the books too. So it is not "just her name" :) I immediately knew it was the right choice!

Would be funny if Ciri saw it and say to Geralt: "Really this is the best you can do? I ALREADY have one with this, hurrdurrr".

Sry.

I think it's just a saying. I can't remember anything related in the books. Haven't read the new one yet.

I saw in the other thread that a form of level scaling is being added as an option in BaW. Is this being added to the base game (and HoS) as well?

Huge, if so.

Oynox

Okay, I am in again, bought the game and season pass. I already played the main game for roughly 300 hours, unfortunately not on Death Marsh. Therefore I honestly would like to get that missing achievement. Now is the question if I shall start a new game or NG+... what do you advise? I honestly would love to do all the exploration and item gathering again and would be a bit bummed to start as a full fledged witcher again. On the other hand I would like to be prepared for HoS and BaW.

I saw in the other thread that a form of level scaling is being added as an option in BaW. Is this being added to the base game (and HoS) as well?

Huge, if so.
I have read that a patch with the UI changes will come before the DLC for the base game, so I'd imagine a change like that will be part of the update.

Flipyap

It's the runic inscription on Geralt's silver sword in the latest (sidequesty prequel) novel, Season of Storms.

It's "Dubhenn haern am glândeal, morc'h am fhean aiesin," duh.

;) "The flash that cuts through darkness, the light that breaks the night" according to the game, but more accurately "My flash shall pierce through darkness, my brilliance shall disperse the gloom."

Hystzen

Never bothered about Iorveth not coming back as Letho and Roache where vastly more interesting characters. What did piss me off in W3 was not seeing John Natalis instead he jobbed off screen would been cool see him with Roache as gorilla army. Also making Radovid
fall into madness feels lazy to make him be unreliable
in a game where each character is more grey and had reasons.

Never bothered about Iorveth not coming back as Letho and Roache where vastly more interesting characters.
I agree that they are interesting, but I think Roche could have been better developed. I'm pretty sure in my game he ended up (Witcher 2 Spoilers)
trying to raising the little kids
, yet there was no mention of them in the W3. As happy as I was seeing he was back, that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I just have a hard time complaining about this or that being missing from the game, when there is so much content. I do understand it, and have noticed it plenty, though. I mean, Roche has nothing to say about
Anais
for one of a hundred examples, but I can just headcanon it.

LOL,
my brain skipped over the little kids comment just above me. Yep, that's Anais.
:D

Weird question: how are the handful of quests/contracts available as free DLC (i.e. Missing Miners, Fool's Gold)? The few listed in the "16 Free DLC Packs" section of the OP, basically.

Question about the notice boards. Sometimes I go up to them, there's new posts up there, but when I accept them all, nothing pops up (no new quests, no points of interest or whatever they are). Generally only only if they are "yellow" on the map will I get new quests or points of interest. After you accept the first time, are they just bits of lore or random stuff? Or should I keep going back to accept more? Thanks :)

Sober

Weird question: how are the handful of quests/contracts available as free DLC (i.e. Missing Miners, Fool's Gold)? The few listed in the "16 Free DLC Packs" section of the OP, basically.
They are not half bad to be honest. I didn't touch them at launch so I played through them recently all at once. They are okay. Cat and Wolf one was arguably the best because
the little girl giving you a thank you note if you visit her again another time is so cute, I didn't expect that in a game like this to be honest.

Never bothered about Iorveth not coming back as Letho and Roache where vastly more interesting characters. What did piss me off in W3 was not seeing John Natalis instead he jobbed off screen would been cool see him with Roache as gorilla army. Also making Radovid
fall into madness feels lazy to make him be unreliable
in a game where each character is more grey and had reasons.

I agree that they are interesting, but I think Roche could have been better developed. I'm pretty sure in my game he ended up (Witcher 2 Spoilers)
trying to raising the little kids
, yet there was no mention of them in the W3. As happy as I was seeing he was back, that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I just have a hard time complaining about this or that being missing from the game, when there is so much content. I do understand it, and have noticed it plenty, though. I mean, Roche has nothing to say about
Anais
for one of a hundred examples, but I can just headcanon it.

LOL,
my brain skipped over the little kids comment just above me. Yep, that's Anais.
:D

I don't find the argument that because there's a lot of other content (of varying quality), it's somehow okay that other characters and storyline were not handled properly.

Here's the thing with Iorveth, the problem is not that he alone got cut, it's the fact that the entire faction didn't make it. The Scoia'tael are important to the overall world, from the books and in TW1 and TW2. How can you have a game about the Aen Elle (Wild Hunt) and not include the Aen Seidhe? There are so many interesting things they could have done with this.

Four other important Scoia'tael NPC's were also meant to play a role in the Novigrad storyline: Isengrim (who is from the books and would have been friends with Dijkstra), Vernossiel, Gronostaj and Yrlissa. The criticism that Roche isn't as developed as he could have been, is 100% fair, and it ties into the cut content. Iroveth and Roche would have been linked, just like how I'd imagine Isengrim and Dijkstra would have been. There would have been some kind of alliance between the criminal underworld, the Scoia'tael and the Temerians. I don't know if people here have checked out my post, but you should read it.

This stuff was cut late, as much as CDPR keeps trying to say that it was healthy. The cut didn't make the game better. The Alpha bug reports are from late 2013, and the Prima guide update was scheduled for the 18th of April 2014. Remember that the game was originally meant to launch at the end of 2014. Whether or not you like Iorveth is irrelevant. It was a big chunk of the Novigrad story, that went hand in hand with the other parts. I'm also disappointed because they said he would be there. It's been 3 years since that interview, and still no proper explanation has been given. This happened in TW2, with Dol Blathanna, and it happened again in TW3. You could argue that because the Wild Hunt are also elves (although a different kind), it happened twice in TW3.

When you watch that 2013 interview, you can see Marcin's eyes light up when he talks about Iorveth. It's weird, because this is the only thing he has never talked about on the forums. He relied to my twitter message a while ago saying that he can't talk about it, but that Iorveth is a great character and not forgotten, but I'm not sure what that means. TW3 had been in early production for around two years when that Game Informer interview took place, it's not normal to cut something that was obviously important. It's one of the main reasons why the Novigrad arc is a mess, in terms of pacing and content. Anais and Natalis should have been in the game, and perhaps they were but also got cut. They also moved
Now or Never from Act 2 to Act 1, probably to try and make up for the lack of content now, and that caused a bunch of other problems. Triss was going to be in Ugly Baby and Carnal Sins,
but because Now or Never got bumped up, she had to be removed, and this tied into the criticism that she just disappears, and that when she returns in Act 3, her role is so minor.

She was also going to be in the
Sunstone quest with Philippa, but that also got cut very late, as well as a subplot (that's in the final game files) about Emhyr arresting all the Lodge members, and Yen would have helped Triss escape, if Geralt had romanced her.
There are so many issues with the main plot, and it bothers me because not only is this is last time we'll see these characters, but they said that fans would be satisfied with the conclusion of the series. Objectivity, there are too many flaws to sit back and say that this was the send off certain characters deserved.

Coreda

Wait, the Viper set is missable?

In HoS you can optionally
talk to the woman at the auction who happens to have the diagrams among her Witcher paraphernalia. Since you can't go back after the events that take place
it's definitely missable.

Also it seems from some googling there are matching
steel/silver sword diagrams which are missable, too.
Pity I didn't know it at the time, but at the same time a nice reward for those who found them/went that path.

There are so many issues with the main plot, and it bothers me because not only is this is last time we'll see these characters, but they said that fans would be satisfied with the conclusion of the series. Objectivity, there are too many flaws to sit back and say that this was the send off certain characters deserved.

All the little, interesting plot left dangling from the previous game getting hand-waved away with "and then it doesn't matter because the Niilfgardians conquers/kills them" really disappointed me. At first I tried to pay it no mind because what I got is still entertaining anyway but the more I think about how, as you said, this is supposed to be the send-off to these characters, the sourer I become about it.

I'm in desperate need of some help. I was using the fast travel anywhere mod and because I never read about the mod properly I never realised that it corrupts your save file and you miss out on some very important quests and cannot progress the game any more. I have basically wasted 60 hours of play time.

I was wondering if anyone had a save file I could download to progress my story. I have just finished
the ugly baby quest line in Kaer Morhen and I am now doing Brothers In Arms quest trying to get allies to assist me before going to Isle of Mist

I didn't romance Yen and would like to with Triss (game bugged due to mod so couldn't complete her quest line in Novigrad. The mod also broke the quest line that sends me to Radovid
that I read is to hunt a witch or something

This is my 3rd time trying to get into this game and it had finally clicked. I am enjoying it more than any other game this year but I really can't find it in myself to start over so would appreciate any help.

I'm in desperate need of some help. I was using the fast travel anywhere mod and because I never read about the mod properly I never realised that it corrupts your save file and you miss out on some very important quests and cannot progress the game any more. I have basically wasted 60 hours of play time.

I was wondering if anyone had a save file I could download to progress my story. I have just finished
the ugly baby quest line in Kaer Morhen and I am now doing Brothers In Arms quest trying to get allies to assist me before going to Isle of Mist

I didn't romance Yen and would like to with Triss (game bugged due to mod so couldn't complete her quest line in Novigrad. The mod also broke the quest line that sends me to Radovid
that I read is to hunt a witch or something

This is my 3rd time trying to get into this game and it had finally clicked. I am enjoying it more than any other game this year but I really can't find it in myself to start over so would appreciate any help.

I believe I have some savefiles that may fit the bill. I cannot be sure though.

I will get off work in 8 hours. I will try to look for it then if you haven't had other helps.

All the little, interesting plot left dangling from the previous game getting hand-waved away with "and then it doesn't matter because the Niilfgardians conquers/kills them" really disappointed me. At first I tried to pay it no mind because what I got is still entertaining anyway but the more I think about how, as you said, this is supposed to be the send-off to these characters, the sourer I become about it.

The thing you mentioned about Nilfgaard, is another gripe of mine. Even though they're the invaders, they're basically the good guys, which is really weird if you've read the books or played TW2. They did some horrible things in the previous war, but this time it seems that they want to kill with kindness. If
Ciri becomes Empress
, everything is better. It doesn't go with the whole choice and consequence thing that the series has emphasized so much.

The worst part is that I know the writers had more and/or better stories to tell. But for whatever reason, we never got to see it. I know that people inside the company care about this, because most of them are massive fanboys just like the playerbase. It's why I really hope they get the chance to do an EE. TW3 needs one more more than the previous games, because it's Geralt's last story. Looking at the improvements they made in HoS and B&W, there is a lot they could fix.

Last time I played The Witcher 3 was around June of last year, I got almost to the end of the game (Literally a few quests away) and just stopped. Now with Blood & Wine coming out, I had the itch to play it again. Picked it up for PS4 with the expansion pass and god, this game is so much fun! I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

Oynox

Last time I played The Witcher 3 was around June of last year, I got almost to the end of the game (Literally a few quests away) and just stopped. Now with Blood & Wine coming out, I had the itch to play it again. Picked it up for PS4 with the expansion pass and god, this game is so much fun! I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

I picked it up as well, but will wait for the big update so I do not need to get used to the old cluttered interface lol

It seems a bit plain just to inscribe it with her Elvish name. The quote is pretty awesome if you ask me :)

dedhead54

I played last night for the first time in many months and had a smile on my face pretty much the entire time. The world is stunning and will never cease to amaze me.

Question regarding HoS: I finished the last couple of small treasure hunts from HoS last night so all I have left from that expansion is the runewright sidequest. It costs $5000 orens, half of what I have. Is it worth it? I seem to remember hearing talk back when the expansion dropped that it was a waste of money.

Also, I really wish I had played gwent during my playthrough. It stings to look at my open side quests list and have all the qwent quests.

I played last night for the first time in many months and had a smile on my face pretty much the entire time. The world is stunning and will never cease to amaze me.

Question regarding HoS: I finished the last couple of small treasure hunts from HoS last night so all I have left from that expansion is the runewright sidequest. It costs $5000 orens, half of what I have. Is it worth it? I seem to remember hearing talk back when the expansion dropped that it was a waste of money.

Also, I really wish I had played gwent during my playthrough. It stings to look at my open side quests list and have all the qwent quests.
Only worth it if you're banking but to upgrade him completely you need like 30k total if not more.

Only reason I finished that quest is because
I did the money glitch for HoS and had like 750k to waste (which I'll waste in B&W)

Top Bottom