• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Steam has been released. Steam Play for cross-client ownership. TF2 out on Mac!

applied for the mac beta. I just can't wait to play L4D 1/2 on my mac.

Being a PC power user and a Mac newbie I'm pretty pumped about valves push for Mac gaming.

falconzss

Valve said:
"Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. For example, Steam Play, in combination with the Steam Cloud, allows a gamer playing on their work PC to go home and pick up playing the same game at the same point on their home Mac."

didn't think this would actually happen but man, now i am excited! i raise my hat to valve. well done.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I was kind of offended that first THEY hold their X-mas sale and then force me to look into my soul (and my game list) to witness how many PC games I've bought. My wallet isn't happy with me now, also my VISA is just about to break. Have to order a new one. :D

LCfiner

I just signed up. hope I get accepted.

then I saw that Torchlight was FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS and I bought that stat.

Time to go into bootcamp and install.

Wizpig

thewesker said:
There may be a beta for this somewhere. Not sure though.
Thanks, I've applied.

Luckily I had a Steam account... don't you need a Win PC to create one? kind of kills the whole "Mac beta" thing, but I may be wrong.

I sent my iMac informations to them, but the whole thing is in Italian, oh well, hopefully it's going to be ok.
It was 20 kb...

Anso

Wizpig said:
Thanks, I've applied.

Luckily I had a Steam account... don't you need a Win PC to create one? kind of kills the whole "Mac beta" thing, but I may be wrong.

That'd kind of suck. I should try anyway.

EDIT: Don't need a PC to sign-up.

I think the idea is to get people who already own games on Steam to test it out. Otherwise you'd be forcing people to buy a game just to test the service.

I think you can create an account online.

I was a little surprised when I counted up how many games I purchased over Steam over the last 12 months. I was somewhere around 50. That Christmas sale really increased my count. I've been on Steam since launch and have 84 games total. 50 just from the last two months is pretty crazy.
Telltale Pack and Unreal pack really pushed the count though. :p

And does it work on Power PC? I thought it was going to be Intel only?

Wizpig

gregor7777 said:
I think the idea is to get people who already own games on Steam to test it out. Otherwise you'd be forcing people to buy a game just to test the service.
I guess I can try Half-Life 1 Source... :lol

:(

Smash88

Banned
Ugh, I don't want to play with dirty mac users...

I'm just kidding calm down, I also own a macbook if that makes you feel any better. Maybe I will get to play on my macbook while I'm out and about. :O

Anso

gregor7777 said:

Or... OR.. THEY'LL GIVE US FREE GAMES

Shut up.

So if you already own valve PC games (Orange Box, L4D, etc.) will you be able download & play on the Mac when the Mac versions become available?

BLU-82 said:
The beta was intended for press only even though the URL is pretty obvious.

Yeah, give the Press a secret to keep... Betas work best with more people involved, they ment it to be for the general public.

For some reason, I'm quite excited for this Mac Steam and keeping a close eye on the whole thing.

Even though I've never owned a Mac, don't plan on owning one in the future and get annoyed by people at work who tell me they've just bought one and it's sooo much quicker and easier than their 5 year old PC running XP.

I look forward to hopefully all the positive news when it's released.

Mar

I applied too. I felt kind of bad answering some of those questions. Like: How many PC games have you bought in the last 12 months? Err... 0. How many hours do you play PC games... 0.

Sign me up!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blu_LED said:
What the fuck. I can't log into Steam at all. I tried everything. Nothing is working. Should I report this to Valve?

Try logging in on www.steamcommunity.com and if that doesn't work then I would contact Valve because it's an account issue. If it does work then it's a Steam program issue which can probably be fixed by you.

LCfiner

out0v0rder said:
how does one right click for alt firing?

are you seriously using 10 year old Apple jabs in this thread? :lol

jeesh. every decent USB or wireless mouse out there works with the Mac. it’s not like every gamer on Windows is rocking those POS bundled mice that come with pre-built systems.

logitech MX revolution, baby. it’s a monster :)

mr_chun

woxel1 said:
^ That's a bingo.
Damn, that's awesome.

I wonder how long it will take for them to convert over the whole library? I have my eye on some of the older games (Hexen/Heretic, Counterstrike, Doom, etc.).

Jintor

Mar said:
I applied too. I felt kind of bad answering some of those questions. Like: How many PC games have you bought in the last 12 months? Err... 0. How many hours do you play PC games... 0.

Sign me up!

Hey, you're good beta data, man!

tetrisgrammaton said:
sorry for asking a noob question, but how many games from the steam library will be available at launch? surely it can't be all of them..

Every single game will be available, but they will cost $10 more than their PC cousin.

Top Bottom