• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |OT| One last contract, one last plough

lets roll

PaAWjHY.png

The Knight of the Laughing Tree?

But seriously, you can use a shield in this game?

SeanTSC

I just spend 5 hours straight playing Gwent ...

I don't regret anything

Any good advice to get money ? i want to upgrade my villa but i'm short on funds ...

I easily had enough to upgrade the villa and build a full cat set from scratch and still have plenty left over just from looting every single human enemy I killed and always selling their weapons & armor to the new GM smith. It adds up rather fast.

I absolutely hate that arrow deflect does so little damage as to be fucking pointless in this game. My quick sword strike does almost 2k on a non crit, and has a high chance of inflicting a bleed. A well timed arrow reflect, however, does a mere 1000 damage. Managing an arrow reflect while in the midst of a melee should do significant damage to an archer. As it is you'd probably need to reflect 20 or so of the damn things to accomplish a kill. Utter waste. You're better off not trying to chance the timing, as you take the risk you'll flub it and get your quen broken.

Similarly annoying is that if you're ONLY fighting an archer (or archers), then none of the enemies you're in combat with will trigger your combat controls, and you won't be able to parry at all. You have to get closer first, while they take free shots.

Uuuugh.

SeanTSC

I absolutely hate that arrow deflect does so little damage as to be fucking pointless in this game. My quick sword strike does almost 2k on a non crit, and has a high chance of inflicting a bleed. A well timed arrow reflect, however, does a mere 1000 damage. Managing an arrow reflect while in the midst of a melee should do significant damage to an archer. As it is you'd probably need to reflect 20 or so of the damn things to accomplish a kill. Utter waste. You're better off not trying to chance the timing, as you take the risk you'll flub it and get your quen broken.

Similarly annoying is that if you're ONLY fighting an archer (or archers), then none of the enemies you're in combat with will trigger your combat controls, and you won't be able to parry at all. You have to get closer first, while they take free shots.

Uuuugh.

I respec'd out of it and just put the "Lol Arrows do no damage" enchantment on my cat armor because I was tired of being annoyed as fuck at Archers.

Coreda

I easily had enough to upgrade the villa and build a full cat set from scratch and still have plenty left over just from looting every single human enemy I killed and always selling their weapons & armor to the new GM smith. It adds up rather fast.

Ah the Witcherin' life. Kill enemies->Walk over to each one and loot->Repeat several times->Get overburdened->Continue looting by punching the air then hitting spacebar to roll for quicker travel->Ride Roach to the next POI->Repeat->Fast travel to merchant and lighten their wallet->Realize they can't buy any more->Fast travel to the next merchant.

Best merchants are the ones from the liberated bandit castle things. They pay top dollar for your looted junk (one paid 250 per plain sword) and have around 10k each.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
God I love this game. Just did the quest after "The Last Wish" and returned to
Kaer Morn with Uma

How am I doing on the main quest? I want to pace myself with sidequests as well, trying not to rush through it.

Flipyap

I mean, the majority of romantic relationships in the novels is shallow and rubbish, anyway, but Geralt and Yennefer's is a major offender because they keep repeating it over and over because magic.
The "because magic" part is purely CD Projekt Red's invention. Geralt's wish bound their destinies together, which is why they kept running into each other despite their best attempts to stay apart, but it didn't brainwash them.
There's just no way the wish had anything to do with relationships or their feelings. The way Geralt phrases it in the game sounds absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't even match the effect it had on their lives.

SugarDave

Kaer Morn with Uma

How am I doing on the main quest? I want to pace myself with sidequests as well, trying not to rush through it.

I'd say you have maybe a third left to go, perhaps a bit more. Depends how fast you're going through everything. You're also very close to the point where some side-quests will be closed off, I believe (the game will warn you).

I am currently stuck on a certain main story quest. I'm supposed to hide somewhere, but I cannot interact with the wardrobe. The 'Hide Here' prompt simply does not work...

BUGS!!

Coreda

I am currently stuck on a certain main story quest. I'm supposed to hide somewhere, but I cannot interact with the wardrobe. The 'Hide Here' prompt simply does not work...

BUGS!!

I'm assuming this is after
you've interacted with the cauldron
not before, right? If so, that sucks.

Kaer Morn with Uma

~50% through depending on what sidequests you have been doing. Minor spoiler
Some of the major sidequest chains become optional sub-objectives in the main quest just past where you are. So if you have already completed them then it will shorten a fair bit of main quest stuff.

Coreda

Yup.

I've tried restarting the game. Reloading an earlier save. Nothing works. So I guess I'm just screwed...

Best you can do is file an official bug report and attach your game save and hope it's fixed in a patch soon. Way to halt progress though. At least it's possible to do other sidequests in the mean time.

Really sucks to hear about all the bugs people have been encountering. I am grateful to say I have had a very bug free experience. Hopefully that patch they mentioned isn't too far off.

Zocano

Who thought forcing you to use the Skellige deck was a good idea.

Who thought making another SWAAARM gwent deck was a good idea.

Fire both these people.

And make more fun mechanics in gwent and not this shit. Decoy + Spy forever. Nilfgaard and Northern Realms are the only decent decks.

Fuck all this trash.

Nordicus

Is the crossbow actually good if you spec for it? I've literally never used it outside of parts where you're forced to mainly because it looks ugly covering up the swords.
With the skills of vanilla game, it is absolute trash. I'm hoping the mutagen could at least make it occasionally useful

The "because magic" part is purely CD Projekt Red's invention. Geralt's wish bound their destinies together, which is why they kept running into each other despite their best attempts to stay apart, but it didn't brainwash them.
There's just no way the wish had anything to do with relationships or their feelings. The way Geralt phrases it in the game sounds absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't even match the effect it had on their lives.

Mmm, that's not what I'm saying. I'm not questioning the legitimacy of their feelings.

The novels have this tendency to do rubbish romance to begin with (how did that spark with Triss happen? Fringilla? Lyta? Essi? Hell if I know). Even under the argument that all those casual, brief flings that don't an explanation deeper than "humans are lustful and lonely creatures", Geralt-Yennefer's relationship is not much better explained.

However, this time, because of "the Last Wish" contrivances, they just keep getting tangled with each other instead of just going separate ways forevermore due to shallowness and incompatibility like Geralt did with most other women because he's a lousy boyfriend. It makes for an repetitive display of "flame ignited again", each just as shallow as before.

They never seem to take from or give anything to each other, they bicker over everything and they don't even trust each other. It's a depressing relationship.

Who thought forcing you to use the Skellige deck was a good idea.

Who thought making another SWAAARM gwent deck was a good idea.

Fire both these people.

And make more fun mechanics in gwent and not this shit. Decoy + Spy forever. Nilfgaard and Northern Realms are the only decent decks.

Fuck all this trash.
I didn't mind it for
the tournament, made it more challenging (although I won every match at my first attempt).
My NR deck is ridiculously OP, I got 333 in a round just recently. It was nice to step away from it and be challenged.

SeanTSC

I'm hoping there is a mod on PC to remove the silly hood on Grandmaster cat armor, other than that I love it.

The hood sucks and I'm on the PS4 so I can't mod it out. I ended up equipping a pair of glasses though, that makes the hood go down and is a passable alternative.

SeanTSC

You're a liar.

Eh, I won all mine without losing too. Ran with the minimum cards to not bloat it up and I liked the 0 hp cards that summon a more powerful thing - they worked pretty well with revive cards. The frenzy cards were also pretty good for wrecking face after putting out Scorch Bait.

Are there more than two rulers for that deck though? I only found two and both are kinda meh.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ah the Witcherin' life. Kill enemies->Walk over to each one and loot->Repeat several times->Get overburdened->Continue looting by punching the air then hitting spacebar to roll for quicker travel->Ride Roach to the next POI->Repeat->Fast travel to merchant and lighten their wallet->Realize they can't buy any more->Fast travel to the next merchant.
I got a mod to avoid the encumbrance BS. Still got a Nilfgaardian saddle with Zerrikanian bags tho. Looks great.

Zocano

Eh, I won all mine without losing too. Ran with the minimum cards to not bloat it up and I liked the 0 hp cards that summon a more powerful thing - they worked pretty well with revive cards. The frenzy cards were also pretty good for wrecking face after putting out Scorch Bait.

Are there more than two rulers for that deck though? I only found two and both are kinda meh.

You're also a liar.

You're a liar.

You need to git gud. I beat the gwent tourney first try as well :p

Skellige deck is dope.

I didn't mind it for
the tournament, made it more challenging (although I won every match at my first attempt).
My NR deck is ridiculously OP, I got 333 in a round just recently. It was nice to step away from it and be challenged.

Agreed. Really like the Skellige deck myself, haven't lost a single game of gwent in the expansion.

You're a liar.

Only way they did this was watching a vid that basically told them how to win. essentially you cut the deck down to 23 cards and then hope for the best. Even then they got good rolls and the opponent probably got garbage.

I think the romances are the way they are supposed to be. When you take procreation out of the picture monogamy doesn't make any kind of sense. Relationships will then be shallow and to fulfill some kind of primal need. Love has little business in such an exchange. Shallow, sure, but also realistic.

Speaking of gwent I have a deck that is literally unbeatable... I'll try to think of it off the top of my head:

It's Nilfgaard with the Emhyr that lets you pull a card from their discard pile as your leader, every hero card you have, every spy card you have, zero weather cards, zero decoys, zero double damage guys...

To fill out the rest of the deck you put in Dandelion, the dragon that also acts as a scorch, and the cards that become more powerful when they're on the field together (one group of four at 3 damage each, and one group of two with 5 damage each). Your final cards are ones that allow you to pull cards back from your discard pile.

You want the MINIMUM number of cards for this to work. Essentially you play your spies no matter what, wait for the AI to pass, scorch with the dragon card, pull your spy back from the discard pile, and play it again. Then you use just enough cards to win the round. Round 2 involves pulling cards back from your discard pile (spies get priority until you have nothing left in your deck) and playing heroes.

Once I had this deck I NEVER once lost a round. I'm not joking, not ONCE. I played on hard as well.

Edit: As for the new tournament, I ran all the berserk cards and heroes, and none of the special cards (weather, decoy, etc...). I ran the minimum amount of cards possible in order to get the berserks going and didn't lose once. Because you only have one spy via the mysterious elf, I can see this going poorly, so there's a small element of luck involved with your opening hand.

Exentryk

Speaking of gwent I have a deck that is literally unbeatable... I'll try to think of it off the top of my head:

Just need that one match where you don't pull any spies, and the opponent has a Nilf filled with spies. Since you don't have any decoys, RIP.

(I had a similar outcome last night against
Ducal Camerlengo (Spelling?)
. His leader card nullifies your leader ability.)

DeaDPo0L84

I still can't use the mutagen table beneath the vineyard...really really really sucks. It just glows and all i can do is extinguish the flame.

I'm surrounded by liars.

Only way they did this was watching a vid that basically told them how to win. essentially you cut the deck down to 23 cards and then hope for the best. Even then they got good rolls and the opponent probably got garbage.

lol @ salt

Luck plays a role in what cards you get, sure. But you should be smart enough to realize that a smaller deck means more chances of getting favorable cards. All my decks are 27 cards (22 main + 5 special).

Whatever deck you play, always have 2 decoy + 2 scorch cards.

Pro-tip: Don't use the
berserker
cards for Skellige.

Just need that one match where you don't pull any spies, and the opponent has a Nilf filled with spies. Since you don't have any decoys, RIP.

What? You can have upto 3 decoys in any deck.

Decoy > spies

I still can't use the mutagen table beneath the vineyard...really really really sucks. It just glows and all i can do is extinguish the flame.

Yeah I have the same issue :(

Haha, the random draw of cards is a huge part of it. But if you have your deck set up correctly and play your cards correctly then you'll generally be ok. I haven't lost using the Skellige deck yet, but I've only played it a few times prior to the tournament and admittedly some of the games have been agonisingly close.

If you have to watch Gwent videos then I worry for you, the concepts are all pretty simple :)

SeanTSC

I didn't watch any videos. I just got all the cards and put the deck together, played 3 matches against the guy I got my last card from, went 2-1 on it and made sure I knew the mechanics, then went to the tourney and won the whole way through.

Dunno why it's so hard to believe. It's not hard to figure the deck out. I probably didn't even optimize it either. Going to load up the game right now and see what I have in the deck.

I went with: 32 cards total. 22 unit, 10 special. 122 Total Unit Card Strength. 6 Hero cards.

1x Geralt
1x Ciri
1x Villentretenmerth
1x Mysterious Elf
1x Olaf
1x Cerys
3x Clan an Craite Warrior
1x Berserker
3x Shield Maiden
1x Birna Bran
1x Kambi
1x Yennifer
1x Cow
1x Ermion
1x Clan Dimun Pirate
2x Young Berserker
2x Skellige Storm
2x Decoy
2x Commander's Horn
2x Scorch
2x Mardrome

I'll admit I probably got really lucky, but I don't think it's that terrible. I played it a couple more times vs some quest npc and some other randoms who weren't part of the Collect Skellige Cards quest and didn't lose with it. I came really close, but always lucked out.

Coreda

I got a mod to avoid the encumbrance BS. Still got a Nilfgaardian saddle with Zerrikanian bags tho. Looks great.

To be fair I also didn't realize until later in my B&W playthrough what was taking up most of my carry capacity: hides and chains. Transferring them to the Stash freed up a lot of space.

Plus there's a new General ability that adds 60 carry capacity, the Fiend decoction adds another 20, and the new player home adds a Roach perk, but since I didn't want to use up precious ability points I haven't used it. At points I just dropped a ton of items in a sack then came back for them later to sell.

At least it's possible to do other sidequests in the mean time.

Yeah.... or go back to the previous scene and take a bunch of screenshots. I love this guy's character model....

Got to get a moodier shot of this scene too.

27463634471_e30a2388d9_o.jpg

Hopefully the bug gets fixed soon though. I've already done a ton of side stuff (every grandmaster diagram and lots of quests along the way). I was ready to advance the plot a bit...

Zocano

lol @ salt

Luck plays a role in what cards you get, sure. But you should be smart enough to realize that a smaller deck means more chances of getting favorable cards. All my decks are 27 cards (22 main + 5 special).

Whatever deck you play, always have 2 decoy + 2 scorch cards.

Pro-tip: Don't use the
berserker
cards for Skellige.

Talkin' like I never played a card game before.

The swarm decks are just unyielding and inconsistent and decoy + spy spam will win 99 times out of 100. The only deck I lost even more than once to was the nilfgaard deck and it's literally because he always had the spy/decoy spam ready except one time. I won cause I got lucky and nothing else.

I know I can win 100% of all gwent games with my Nilfgaardian deck, so it was actually nice to have some challenging games again with the Skellige deck.

Top Bottom