• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |OT| One last contract, one last plough

Vaga

As to what concerns the skellige deck I have just a few things to say: Hands off our gwent! No new fuckin factions!

It's horrible.

MartyStu

Damn I guess I'm towards in the end in that
fairy tale land. Would I have missed all of that if I had picked the other quest route (talk to Orianna)? That would be crazy.

Sort of.

Both paths can be aborted partway through in favor of the other.

Personally, I find that
Orianna
->
Fairy Tale Land
is the best path.

tuxfool

Banned
How do you guys get the pretty AA I'm seeing in your screenshots? Is it possible on AMD?

There is a combination. Some people are also using smaa (though I think the FXAA+temporal in the game is okish). In addition people are downsampling, I played the entire game downsampled from 1440p on VSR.

On AMD you just need to enable it in the settings for the monitor, and select a higher resolution in the game.

RDreamer

Just beat B&W the other day. Fucking loved it. This plus HoS is hands down the best expansion pass I've ever seen. I spent a lot of hours on both, more than they estimated. I also thought the story was great for both. Slightly stronger or HoS, but I think that's to be expected as the design goal for B&W was a bit different trying to introduce a new area and fill it up. B&W still ended up being one of the stronger quests in the entire package now, too.

After playing through one side of the ending choice I played the other yesterday and my one real 'complaint' is that one of those sides shows a hilariously larger amount of thought and time put into it. On paper the other side could have been great but I feel like they kind of phoned it in.
The unseen one side could have had a much cooler environment and maybe just a bit more added to the quest and it'd be fine. As it stands the cave was really underwhelming considering that they could have done more cool things with the 'gate between worlds' thing.

I'm also really glad I got the ending I did the first time. Feels like a good end to everything rather than some others you can get, which would be kind of gut-punching for the Witcher finale.

Going to really miss this entire series, though. All I've got left is about 2/3 of Season of Storms to read. I really fell in love with this universe, both the one Sapkowski and the one CDPR created and it'll be sad to not having anything new in it anymore. Maybe Sapkowski will write more but I'm kind of hoping he leaves the story alone at the point that CDPR picked things up and sticks more to prequels and such. We'll see though.

Itachi87

As to what concerns the skellige deck I have just a few things to say: Hands off our gwent! No new fuckin factions!

It's horrible.

It's not OP like Temeria & Nilfgaard, but it's not terrible. Still managed to beat the new gwent tournament in B&W using it.

The quest glitch you were having fixed itself?

It was a video of the
Polish voice actor
I think, posted a couple pages back. Likely why the tweet was only in Polish.

Oh, yeah. Someone from CDPR suggested that I verify integrity of the game cache. Which basically killed some of my major mods, but did allow me to progress beyond that quest. After which I restored my mods. So clearly something I'm using is breaking the game. It may even be the 21:9 cutscene fix which uses an altered executable.

Anywho, I loved this scene. So full of detail.

27616590295_c14f386818_o.jpg

27582765096_6c6a0bcc43_o.jpg

27583576926_24c54e0ef2_o.jpg

Screenshots can't do it justice.

Coreda

If this is so flawless because it is downsampled, then was it 8k originally?

People usually bump the res for these screenshots, yea. Heck most screenshots in the PC screenshots thread are at higher than native res. One of midhras' DSIII shots was downsampled from 80MP.

Various people enjoy showcasing the game rather than just taking shots at the playable FPS.

Oh, yeah. Someone from CDPR suggested that I verify integrity of the game cache. Which basically killed some of my major mods, but did allow me to progress beyond that quest. After which I restored my mods. So clearly something I'm using is breaking the game. It may even be the 21:9 cutscene fix which uses an altered executable.

Glad it seems it wasn't a bug with the game itself. Wouldn't be surprised if quite a few have unwittingly had mod conflicts.

Still sticking with my modded bear for that reason.

I dislike the chainmail.

If this is so flawless because it is downsampled, then was it 8k originally?

That was my shot. I grabbed it at 3600x4800. I use that for high-res portraits. That is 17 megapixels. 4K is 8.3 megapixels. Quite a difference :p

People usually bump the res for these screenshots, yea. Heck most screenshots in the PC screenshots thread are at higher than native res. One of midhras' DSIII shots was downsampled from 80MP.

Well that was also a panorama, which was comprised of a TON of screenshots :p This pano of mine is something like 50 megapixels but each screenshot was much smaller.

Qassim

Just finished the main quest, lots of exploring and some side quests and contracts to do, but I really enjoyed it. Really cements TW3 as one of my all time favourites.

It brought up the disappointment of my ending in the main campaign again. Had the 'you get a guest element' spoiled for me and was told it was Yennefer, didn't realise it was linked to the romance options. In the main story, went totally down the Yennefer path but accidentally fucked up and forgot to go see Yennefer on Skellige before we left. So the visitor I got was Dandelion. I really must play through the entire game again one day (with expansions).

I think I got what would be considered a 'good' ending for B&W (the two sisters reconciled with each other).

Coreda

Well that was also a panorama, which was comprised of a TON of screenshots :p This pano of mine is something like 50 megapixels but each screenshot was much smaller.

Stitching would explain such a ridiculously high resolution, you're right.

Are you supposed to get paid for taking over a Hanse?

You are, kind of. In loot. Sold 10-15k worth of stuff after a few battles back to the blacksmiths there.

Forkball

You can sell everything they drop for good cash. The blacksmith that moves in carries a lot of gold.

I like how in one Hense they say they've been trying to siege the place for months, but you come in and single handed lay kill them all.

I like the bags hanging from the Grandmaster Ursine armor. It makes it look like a cross between W2 and W3 armor. He even had a book (bestiary I guess) hanging from some of his armor in 2. "Wait, what are these fuckers weak against again? "

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I did downsampling and it is quite nice but for my PC/card it makes it go from 60fps to 30fps. Not worth it even though it makes the lighting look so much more realistic (bigger impact than the extra detail).

Finally got around to doing Carnal Sins, 11 levels past it, lol. Holy fuck what an intense mission.
I decapitated the sicko who tortured girls then killed the vampire with firestream for poetic justice.

Qassim

Am I the only one who thinks
Syanna
looks a lot like Yen?

When I saw drawing of her on the wall and Geralt said she looks familiar, I thought it might have been Yennefer. But her looking familiar was probably a reference to her looking similar to her sister.

Coreda

Am I the only one who thinks
Syanna
looks a lot like Yen?

Not particularly but she reminded me of a a certain facial type, similar to Lauren Graham and Alecia Moore. Side by side comparison (character spoilers obvs).

It's so fun playing with the mini-map turned off and just go where it seems interesting and find things. I wish there was an option/mod to press a button to show and hide it.

If you're on PC it's the Home key.

ActWan

Finally completed my Skellige Gwent deck. I don't really like it but I hope I'll do well in the tournament...
It's so fun playing with the mini-map turned off and just go where it seems interesting and find things. I wish there was an option/mod to press a button to show and hide it.

Exentryk

I finished almost all of the side quests (gwent stuff pending). So, I decided to go back to the main quest which I had left after the third boss. Found the clues from the
unicorn and golden fish, and finally encountered the Beast of Beauclair. Kicked his behind, but he ran away.
Regis seems cool.

MartyStu

Yes you get paid. There is a dude in the city that pays all knight errants for their work and he will give you ~100 crowns per camp.

I cannot get script merger to work. It doesn't list any mods installed -______- wtf...?

1cec1aa718.png

help :(

This could mean one of two things:

Either there are no conflicts at all and it is not listing any. Or your mod manager is broken.

If the former. Just boot up your game.

If the latter (check to see if the mods in the mod folder are 'empty') install all the mods manually.

Jb

I finished the main quest recently and I've gotta say, this was one of the most pleasant gaming experiences I've had in years, probably ever.

The smaller landmass meant I was just walking around a lot more instead of using fast travel. It reminded me of how much I love the nature in this game: it's wild and beautiful and at times intimidating like it is in real life. I loved how harsh the world felt in 3, and it made Toussaint feel all the more welcoming and relaxing.

The whole expansion really felt like one last long, relatively peaceful chapter in Geralt's life. One where instead of preventing the end of the world or navigating geopolitical intrigues he just went from small contract to small contract, which was much more representative of what his life had been about. In that sense it was a great sendoff, giving him the peace and quiet he deserved without having him betray who he was. I genuinely loved this, and I'm going to miss this world and these characters.

Quick question: I wrapped this up last night and apparently I hate having free time so I thought I'd dive into New Game+. Thing is, I can't seem to get the option to start New Game+. Anyone else have this issue after finishing Blood and Wine? I've finished the main game and HoS and got the prompt for New Game+ after the main game.

Yes you get paid. There is a dude in the city that pays all knight errants for their work and he will give you ~100 crowns per camp.

This could mean one of two things:

Either there are no conflicts at all and it is not listing any. Or your mod manager is broken.

If the former. Just boot up your game.

If the latter (check to see if the mods in the mod folder are 'empty') install all the mods manually.

The thing is this one mod I've tried to install causes my game to not load up and script merger isn't detecting problems

Roussow

Trying to get through The Warble of a Smitten Knight arena melee, really baffled to what keeps happening; my four team mates go down super easy -- no problem, with some patience I can take four enemies on at once, but almost every time I've tried half way through the battle the game transitions into a cutscene announcing the winner of the arena battle. What am I doing wrong here? Do I have to speedrun through this thing? Why is it cutting me off mid brawl?

CHC

Its the only way to play as far as I'm concerned.

Yep. Only issue is when you get in cities or really tight spaces. The quests in Novigrad were definitely a pain in the ass, trying to figure out which particular building someone was in, etc. But man, does it feel good when you start learning your way around and can navigate between all the places strictly using known landmarks. Very satisfying.

I do wish they would implement a 3d quest marker that comes up when you use the Witcher senses though. It'd be nice to just tap that button to get your bearings rather than open up the full map and get re-oriented.

Ah, the warning signs posted made it sound like the Duchy would pay some sort of bounty for killing the leader. That's disappointing.
If you don't kill the leader, you can re-do them...

I cleared out one of them and everyone moved in, and then I realized that I was going to miss being able to re-do it over and over haha so at the other one, I regularly go clear it out but don't kill the leader... good source of income but actually the main reason I do it is just because it's fun. After most of the side-quests are done (in B&W but even the game in general) there's not enough to fight, so having a big hanse fort that I can go visit any time I wanna kill 30 guards is pretty fun.

CHC

So what are the odds we get a "tone it down" patch for the Toussaint lighting? I get what they are going for but it's CRAZY right now. Totally yellow and washed out. All the assets are better but when you travel back to Velen you see how much more understated and realistic the lighting there.

I have been using a cooler Reshade profile with bloom off, but I'd rather just play without any of that.

Q8D3vil

Whoever wrote the vampires book that are related to feeding is a freaking genius.
I cant believe this quality of writing is in a fucking video game.

Jeffrey

Just remember... the biggest disappointment of witcher 3. After all the updates and expansions.... still no wearable cloak/cape for geralt like in the opening cinematics.

Yep. Only issue is when you get in cities or really tight spaces. The quests in Novigrad were definitely a pain in the ass, trying to figure out which particular building someone was in, etc. But man, does it feel good when you start learning your way around and can navigate between all the places strictly using known landmarks. Very satisfying.

I do wish they would implement a 3d quest marker that comes up when you use the Witcher senses though. It'd be nice to just tap that button to get your bearings rather than open up the full map and get re-oriented.

Playing on PC? Get Friendly HUD. It's EXACTLY what you are looking for. It's amazing.

Yup, heard about that. Been meaning to. Is it easy to install? I don't want any of the other crap, just the 3D icons.

It's about the same difficulty to install as any other Witcher 3 mod. If you need help, just ask.

The other stuff it does is totally optional (everything in the mod is customizable from a new in-game menu).

LifEndz

God damn do I love this game. Waited for Blood and Wine before buying the season pass. Really enjoyed Hearts of Stone and now this....I have no words. I'm just exploring the new town and taking in all the sights. I almost think I'd be happy if CDPR just did Witcher 3 dlc for the rest of this generation. Truly a masterpiece.

chefbags

Just remember... the biggest disappointment of witcher 3. After all the updates and expansions.... still no wearable cloak/cape for geralt like in the opening cinematics.

Yeah I agree. I still want that. Doesn't have to have some effects to make it blow in the wind, just let me wear a cape with the hood on/off and I'd be so fucking happy.

pablito

Progress question

So I'm on the quest
Capture the Castle. It's warning me to finish up sidequests and stuff. Am I near the end? And is there a list of which sidequests/contracts I'd lose if I start this?

Top Bottom