• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the word on The Whispered World?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Sadwick is a young clown but often far from cheerful. One night, a strange blue creature speaks to him in a dream and sends him on an adventurous journey. Many dangers await Sadwick, for the world he knows is doomed to crumble and fall.

A PC point & click-game for those of you who don't know. Couldn't find a thread about it.

Apparantely, it's been delayed a few weeks but I just read a review saying that's it pretty damn good. Any germans here that have played it and if so, what's the deal?

http://www.the-whispered-world.com/

Here are some screens from the official homepage:

tww_screenshot_003.jpg

tww_screenshot_009.jpg

TWW_screenshot2.jpg

Pennywise

I highly recommend it D:
Actually the devs behind it made a brilliant start with "Edna breaks out" dunno if it shipped somewhere outside of Germany.

Anyway its not like they made an adventure revolution but still what they make is quite good.
The Whispered World is another example for that , its kind of a classic Adventure type.
First of all the graphics that are wonderful painted 2D backrounds as you can see on the Screenshots you already posted.
It is a good mix between dark story and a good sense of humor with pretty nice characters.
I dont want to spoil anything but the start already is quite surreal D:

The only negative points in my eyes are some technical facts.
Max resolution 1024x768 and 4:3

So if you like the art style and the classic type of adventures just buy it.
As a huge Adventure fan the last years were not the best years for adventure fans generally.
Alot of solid titles but not so many high class titles but The Whispered World and Edna breaks out were really high class Adventures in my eyes.

Feel free to ask if you want to know anything specific.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Looks absolutely stunning, graphically it's like the successor to MI3 that I always wanted. How is the gameplay? Any demo available?

epmode

This game will live or die on its localization. Please please please please please have a good localization.

I've been thinking about getting this but I just can't stand the main characters look. Hopefully it'll grow on me if I get around to buying it.

Your thread title reads like a line from a Flight of the Conchords song :lol

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Glass Soldier said:
I've been thinking about getting this but I just can't stand the main characters look. Hopefully it'll grow on me if I get around to buying it.
Huh...I love it. Looks very Don Bluth to me.

Mr. Jonh

Banned
Can i get it already? How?

And someone spoke of localization? To where? The global market? And when?

It looks magnificent. I'll give it a lot of love if it's good.

itsinmyveins

What I want to know is whether it's gonna be availible on Steam or not, because that's essentially the only way I buy PC games nowdays :/

Anyway, I guess it's supposed to be released during the first quarter of 2010. According to a post made on their homepage the 15th of january, the game's been delayed a few weeks and that a release date for UK, France, Spain, Italy, Scandinavia and additional territories will be announced soon.

GhaleonQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_EHtXHjO8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjAgjh___fU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTAFISyJ1V8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPdv5nRHwjo

Jive Turkey said:
Huh...I love it. Looks very Don Bluth to me.

And it looks like he animated it, too (note: insult). Flipping through those videos showed me some rather nice television-animation-level visuals, though.

Supposedly, it's caught up in the past. There are some outdated puzzles (like a slider) and the character, because there's so much click dialogue, ends up annoyingly pitying. The story's supposed to be pretty good and there are tons of dialogue, apparently, so that sounds like a plus. So, I guess the closest comparison would be "solid," placeholder stuff like Simon The Sorcerer/The Feeble Files/Kheops' work? I'm glad Germany's making nice graphic adventure games, though.

itsinmyveins

GhaleonQ said:
And it looks like he animated it, too (note: insult). Flipping through those videos showed me some rather nice television-animation-level visuals, though.

Supposedly, it's caught up in the past. There are some outdated puzzles (like a slider) and the character, because there's so much click dialogue, ends up annoyingly pitying. The story's supposed to be pretty good and there are tons of dialogue, apparently, so that sounds like a plus. So, I guess the closest comparison would be "solid," placeholder stuff like Simon The Sorcerer/The Feeble Files/Kheops' work? I'm glad Germany's making nice graphic adventure games, though.

It looks good to me in-game. The review I read mentioned that a lot of the charm comes from the backgrounds and the gloomy atmosphere and story.

Saty

Rejoice, everybody! Finally the game gets an English demo! Get it over here , the file is about 600MB and lets you play a section from the first chapter.

Full game is out later this month, 23th in the UK and the 27th in the U.S.

CiSTM

Banned
Played it, finished it and loved it. Support good developers and good games by buying this product as soon as it is available in your country.

Oh, and small reminder, good people @ Daedalic Entertainment are already working on new project called Deponia and you oughta keep your eyes on that one too.

1q2u8h.jpg
29dvn79.jpg
9leafq.jpg
2wmni8h.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
Saty said:
What's the latest on A New Beginning, that's what i want to know.

Still comig. 2010 and same goes for Deponia... Then again I think The Whispered World was supposed to be released in 2008 so we might face a long wait :lol

ubique

I just tried playing the demo in English. Here's my review:

At first I was charmed by the beautiful background and charming atmosphere. Then I clicked on something and the voice that came out of the main character's mouth embarrassed me to the point that I felt a freezing cold chill run down my spine, one that I had never felt with such intensity caused by any form of art or entertaniment. It was so unbearable that I had to immediately close the game and delete it forever.

And I suspect that even a 7-year-old me would do the same, so don't tell me it's supposed to appeal to kids. Jesus.

ubique said:
I just tried playing the demo in English. Here's my review:

At first I was charmed by the beautiful background and charming atmosphere. Then I clicked on something and the voice that came out of the main character's mouth embarrassed me to the point that I felt a freezing cold chill run down my spine, one that I had never felt with such intensity caused by any form of art or entertaniment. It was so unbearable that I had to immediately close the game and delete it forever.

And I suspect that even a 7-year-old me would do the same, so don't tell me it's supposed to appeal to kids. Jesus.
If only there was some way to turn off the voices! Oh wait there is.

ubique

nincompoop said:
If only there was some way to turn off the voices! Oh wait there is.

But I like voices. Just not his voice.

These little things that can be turned off, like the main character's voice, matter to me in modern adventure games. To turn it off is to delete an integral part of the experience. I'd rather not play at all, even if it sounds extreme.

Enk

makes good threads.
Looks like I'll be playing this one old style where, in my head, Sadwick's voice is amazing. Also just noticed that this is releasing at the same time as Super Street Fighter IV. It's going to be weird fluxuating back and forth between frantic fighter and calming adventurer.

BluWacky

The game's out in the UK - I THINK it's also out on digital download stores but maybe not until next week for the US? Cheapest I've seen is Amazon for £15 - I bought it in GAME for £20 purely because I wanted it today and knew if I could find it in there I would succumb (bought the only copy in there...). I was quite surprised to see so many copies of Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island on the shelves!

I haven't actually played up to where the demo ended yet. I'm trying not to let Sadwick's voice annoy me as the other actors aren't too bad and the dialogue itself is nicely written/translated (and it's more interesting than the dialogue in Ghost Pirates, which is the last adventure game I played). The demo had some rather decent puzzles in it so I'm hoping it won't be a dud.

I am going to get it on adventureshop, but god i hate that website. I can't stand the idea of losing my purchases if the website goes down. And that's more likely to happen to adventureshop than it is to happen to steam...

On a adventure gaming note, quid of ghost pirates of vooju island? Can we digitally (or even physically) buy it anywhere in the US? I see it came out in the UK.

Anyone tried it?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I will support independent developers and buy this game. When a game is this beautiful, how can you not to?

Doesn't sound like the US price will be very expensive either?

edit: 18 pounds isn't bad at all. Support guys like these!

harriet the spy said:
I am going to get it on adventureshop, but god i hate that website. I can't stand the idea of losing my purchases if the website goes down. And that's more likely to happen to adventureshop than it is to happen to steam...

On a adventure gaming note, quid of ghost pirates of vooju island? Can we digitally (or even physically) buy it anywhere in the US? I see it came out in the UK.

Anyone tried it?

http://www.cdwow.us/games/ghost-pirates-of-vooju-island-pc/dp/8078461

Looks pretty good, but I've never played it.

wouwie

Just tried out the english demo and it convinced me to buy the game (it's very cheap on for example amazon uk)

Not sold on Sadwick's voice but the others sounded great. Music and sound was great. Graphics look stunning. Looking forward to playing the full game. It's been a while since i played an adventure game (last one was Perry Rhodan, which i enjoyed quite a bit).

Thunderbear

I bought it and I _love_ it. This is truly old school adventure gaming in HD and I am very happy it's not in 3D. It's gorgeous and so far the story has me really intrigued.

I hope they do well and get attention because I really feel they deserve it. I personally think Sadwick's voice is very appropriate and doesn't bother me at all. Except for the narrator I think the voice acting is top-notch so far.

I might post some screens in the 2010 high-res PC screenshot thread. I would do an official thread but don't really have the time. Barely have time to game as much as I want.

Beginning of the game:

ww_1a5iw.jpg

cryptic

I'd like to try a good adventure game but I'm a bit skeptical of this after the eurogamer review. Anyone have any recommendations for something with better critical reception but a similar great art style? I used to love these games as a kid and would really like to try something new again.

Thunderbear

I don't agree with the Eurogamer review. For an example, I have no problems with the voice of the main character. I find it fitting. I can see how it is subjective though so check out a clip on Youtube to see if it bothers you.

If you are in any way a fan of beautiful 2D and old-school adventure games then this game is for you. I don't think that market is huge, but seriously if you ever said "I wish they made more old school Day of the Tentacle type games in glorious 2D" then you really shouldn't miss this game.

I love the mood, I love the story and the puzzles are good!

eshock

Sedwick's voice really is terrible. You can turn off voices, I'm considering doing this but haven't made the jump yet. Everything Eurogamer says is true, but a lot of their complaints could be made about a lot of classic adventure games. This is old school, for better and worse. If that's your thing, it's absolutely worth playing.

Bernbaum

Hoping it gets released for Mac and I can play it on Steam.

P&C adventure games seem ideal on a laptop, and I'd love to play it on my MacBook.

bathala

Banned
yeah saw those youtube vids with English voice. Sounds like Adam Sandlers baby voice. might buy it when it goes on sale on steam

jett

D-Member
Just read this game doesn't support widescreen resolutions(so it'll look stretched in full-screen) or any resolutions other than 1024x768. That's just great...

Top Bottom