• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit: Become Human - More info on gameplay and player decisions

Edit: YouTube link works, now

Source is Youtube Live at E3, hosted by Geoff Keighley

• The gameplay is “very usual” in a way, but the player interacts with the environment and can make choices. The story is told through his decisions and his gameplay.
  • The ambition of the development team is to make Detroit: Become Human the most “bending” game they ever made, influenced by the decisions of the player.
  • The player is gonna play different characters and see the story from different points of view. It’s not just about having different endings, but also different journeys that will generate different endings and different outcomes.
  • The stories of the various characters start in parallel and create a bigger scenario.
  • The playable scene introduced at E3, which is the first scene of the game, has six different endings, and has consequences through the rest of the game.
  • You influence the outcomes in several ways, simply by playing or by talking to people and taking decisions.
  • The game is a “neo noir thriller.” It’s set in the near future where androids replace humans in many jobs. There are million across the country. Some androids start to find themselves overwhelmed by feelings, even if they’re not supposed to feel any. The new character introduced today, Connor, is a “deviant hunter,” that hunts those androids that have been deviating from their protocols.

Edit: Screenshot from the trailer, illustrating decision trees

0RBjDMu.jpg

Soulflarz

Banned
highlighting instead of italicizing because it's hard to see bolding in this list, apologies for the no bold text
  • The gameplay is “very usual” in a way, but the player interacts with the environment and can make choices. The story is told through his decisions and his gameplay.
  • The ambition of the development team is to make Detroit: Become Human the most “bending” game they ever made, influenced by the decisions of the player.
  • The player is gonna play different characters and see the story from different points of view. It’s not just about having different endings, but also different journeys that will generate different endings and different outcomes.[/i]
  • The stories of the various characters start in parallel and create a bigger scenario.
  • The playable scene introduced at E3, which is the first scene of the game, has six different endings, and has consequences through the rest of the game.
  • You influence the out

• I just finished beyond the other day, the ultimate game of no player agency regardless of advertising.
    ("theres a noise outside! Do I check it out or go back to my room?" I choose to go back to my room, game stops me at the door and says I should really check the noise out, because screw decisions!)

fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

I remember David Cage saying a game over is a bad thing because it's telling the player they aren't playing the game just like the dev wanted them too.
    No. A game over means you failed at overcoming the challenge of the game. What you did was the opposite and just...failed at a higher level.

highlighting instead of italicizing because it's hard to see bolding in this list, apologies for the no bold text

I just finished beyond the other day, the ultimate game of no player agency regardless of advertising.
("theres a noise outside! Do I check it out or go back to my room?" I choose to go back to my room, game stops me at the door and says I should really check the noise out, because screw decisions!)

fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

I remember David Cage saying a game over is a bad thing because it's telling the player they aren't playing the game just like the dev wanted them too.
No. A game over means you failed at overcoming the challenge of the game. What you did was the opposite and just...failed at a higher level.

you should play Heavy Rain, it has more similarities to Detroit than Beyond. multiple characters, lots of branching paths and possible ending.

regarding no game over thing, QD games are more like high budget visual novel or choose your own story book. there's no traditional difficulty challenge you need to overcome. nothing wrong with that. not all games have to be this challenge you need to beat.

Future

Oh thank God

FWIW I loved Heavy Rain, it's just Beyond taught me that Cage is not honest in his PR talks.

Beyond actually had a lot of choice making if I remember right. Just they made it really obtuse whether or not you actually were making a choice or not and what affect it might have caused

Soulflarz

Banned
Beyond actually had a lot of choice making if I remember right. Just they made it really obtuse whether or not you actually were making a choice or not and what affect it might have caused

it had...choices, but as I got bored towards a third in (chronological didn't help) I intentionally took choices that would end scenes earlier, only for my character to make the choice for me, because the dev basically assumed I wouldn't let my lack of curiosity get to me or something

Zakard

Heavy Rain had alot of different endings. I hope Detroit will be the same. I prefer Cage when he tries to tell smaller more intimate stories. Beyond did nothing for me.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Despite always being disappointed by QD games every time, I keep buying them. This will probably be the same.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
So Kara is hopefully still in the game...

In both Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain you got to play all sides of the investigation. This is another investigatey game (even though only part of Indigo Prophecy was investigative), so yeah, it's almost definite.

The trailer reminded me of the Mad Jack sequence in Heavy Rain, which was the scene with the most ways it could end if you messed around with it (aside from the ending of the game of course).

Personally I would prefer a shorter game that has a lot more branching than a longer game with less paths. Heavy Rain is my favorite game of last gen, but Beyond was a huge disappontment. Wasn't sure if I should be excited for Detroit or not before E3, but after this trailer, I'm fully onboard.

Edit: Saw the part about the negotiation scene being the first scene of the game. That was sort of expected because they showed all of the possibilities, but that's huge because that means
Connor can die at the beginning of the game
. As much as Heavy Rain made a big deal about everyone being able to die early, that was only the case for 2 of the characters and neither could die until later in the game.

So glad it looks like they're going back to the Heavy Rain style instead of Beyond. I didn't mind Beyond, but my choices made so little difference in it.

Fitts

I am so on board with a game centered around David Cage's take on race relations. I really hope the rumors of him working with other editors/writers are false and we get the train wreck we deserve.

Freeman

Banned
Was Beyond suppose to be about choices? Was it promoted that way? I didn't even think about it when playing the game, it felt like a character focused story first, where you had room to change the little things along the way.

Heavy Rain relied much more on it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I know its cool to hate on David Cage but I've enjoyed most of his games despite having big issues with them. I can see what they are trying to build but they haven't gotten there yet but maybe this will be a game that can realize a lot of the more grandiose ideas they've been pushing for years. I know I'd love to see Cage and crew knock it out of the park, not many other studios attempting to make games like this at such a scale.

I know its cool to hate on David Cage but I've enjoyed most of his games despite having big issues with them. I can see what they are trying to build but they haven't gotten there yet but maybe this will be a game that can realize a lot of the more grandiose ideas they've been pushing for years. I know I'd love to see Cage and crew knock it out of the park, not many other studios attempting to make games like this at such a scale.

When it's so easy to shitpost about Quantic Dream and get away with it, I feel like being positive about David Cage is the more subversive thing to do

Link to the video not working for me on pc or mobile, is the link right OP?.

If any mod is reading this, can we merge all the detroit threads in one?, we have 3 active and is annoying as hell.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Nothing you did had any effect on the ending.

Just found this old Gamefaqs post:

Big ways? None.

Small ways:
There's a whole list of people that can die or be saved.
-Paul
-Norah
-Jimmy
-Walter
-Cole
-Ryan

If you don't get attacked in the bar,
you can sleep with Ryan
if you get attacked,
you can't

You can fail the ritual in the Navajo chapter.

Ryan can
lose an eye
if you
don't talk during the interrogation
you can also
talk and his eye will be saved

Shimasani
can die too

Link to the video not working for me on pc or mobile, is the link right OP?.

If any mod is reading this, can we merge all the detroit threads in one?, we have 3 active and is annoying as hell.

New thread for new news!

ffvorax

Personally I loved Heavy Rain, but just appreciated Beyond...
And Detroit looks like an evolution of the Heavy Rain concept.

So I'm IN for the hype train! :)

AudioEppa

David Cage Is the man, I wish QD was a two team development group, would love to get more of their games sooner.

Nibel

I really liked what I saw despite being pretty meh on Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (didn't touch Beyond Two Souls yet).

Yeah, some of the dialogue is corny as hell, but I love the setting and even though the premise is kinda dry nowadays I hope for at least a few cool surprises from Cage

The studio is completely devoted to serving Cage's vision so I don't know how it'd work without a big cultural shift in the company.

He is already saying is "hard" to handle 200 employees, I can't imagine the studio having more people and on top of that 2 project running simultaneously. I think it would be could if they let someone from the studio handle small projects while Cage does the AAA.

Huge fan of this kind of setting and it seems like your choices will actually be meaningful so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.

So with these types of games is it purely dialogue options? I never played Heavy Rain? There is no combat or exploration?

"The gameplay is “very usual” in a way, but the player interacts with the environment and can make choices. The story is told through his decisions and his gameplay."

There's more than just dialogue options

He is already saying is "hard" to handle 200 employees, I can't imagine the studio having more people and on top of that 2 project running simultaneously. I think it would be could if they let someone from the studio handle small projects while Cage does the AAA.

Doesn't Platinum Games have about 200 employees? They seem to make a lot of games simultaneously. Telltale Games, too. How do they do it?

So with these types of games is it purely dialogue options? I never played Heavy Rain? There is no combat or exploration?

in Heavy Rain combat are purely qte, no idea about Detroit. exploration are limited to the scene at the time, but there are a lot of interactive items in the area that give you intel and better understanding of the situation which will give you more dialog option as you try to move the story forward based on your choices etc.

in the case of E3 trailer, you had time to explore the apartment and gather intel before you confront the rogue android, but there are timer as if you took too long, the SWAT unit will attempt to move in without you and some will got killed.

Doesn't Platinum Games have about 200 employees? They seem to make a lot of games simultaneously. Telltale Games, too. How do they do it?

the production value in QD games are far above those of Platinum and Telltale

You lied to me Connor.....You lied to me....

....This....Is OUR story

eh, I don't see problem with the "you lied to me "line and the "this is our story" line is most likely only for trailer purposes, not actually in the game.

in Heavy Rain combat are purely qte, no idea about Detroit. exploration are limited to the scene at the time, but there are a lot of interactive items in the area that give you intel and better understanding of the situation which will give you more dialog option as you try to move the story forward based on your choices etc.

"The gameplay is “very usual” in a way, but the player interacts with the environment and can make choices. The story is told through his decisions and his gameplay."

There's more than just dialogue options

Thanks for breaking this down for me. Sounds extremely fun. I'm excited for this game. Are people expecting a 2017 release?

Harmen

Screw the hate on QD, this was one of the best trailers/gameplay footage of the show for me personally. Very convincing. I love the setting and I love interactive films/series.

ItIsOkBro

I think the height of choice in Heavy Rain came from Norman Jayden and Madison Paige, two characters that can die multiple times and be written out of the story. However, if they remain alive, their contributions to the story don't seem meaningless/negligible, unlike most choice-based games where a character can live or die. I personally was surprised to find out Norman can die. So I'm excited that we can play as multiple characters in Detroit.

I think the height of choice in Heavy Rain came from Norman Jayden and Madison Paige, two characters that can die multiple times and be written out of the story. However, if they remain alive, their contributions to the story don't seem meaningless/negligible, unlike most choice-based games where a character can live or die. I personally was surprised to find out Norman can die. So I'm excited that we can play as multiple characters in Detroit.

Norman is awesome. I kinda feel this Connor is kinda taking similar role. his gameplay is the one that be more detective/investigation kind of scenario. I'm not sure Kara portion will play like this.

back then I wish we got a full game with only Norman, just solving cases after cases. he got all the cool toys to like the AR glasses

Onemic

the production value in QD games are far above those of Platinum and Telltale

eh, I don't see problem with the "you lied to me "line and the "this is our story" line is most likely only for trailer purposes, not actually in the game.

oh, I know it was probably just used in the trailer, but the whole interaction sounded cheesy as fuck.

Me neither, and Kara said the same thing in the first trailer, somehow is their way to link both trailer and characters.

Top Bottom