• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

ciD_Vain

There's been a few GIFs ITT posted earlier, looks like some sort of floating fortress or island.

M6m70Me.gif

You mean this?

It could be Skyloft, Sky City or some sort of airship.

Oh yeah! That's it!! Yeah I wonder what it is...

ASIS

To be fair there were clear SotC influences in Twilight Princess already.

You could probably cheese this boss by throwing a bomb on his weak point when he falls down too... Or maybe the timing is too strict.

Considering both were in development around the sometime, I highly doubt that.

Apathy

This is the exact thing that Zelda needed. It was the kick in the pants that it's been needing for a while actually. I cannot wait for the NX launch and to be able to play this, it's going to be great.

Darryl

Banned
Ganon eventually became so powerful that he began merging timelines. the shiekh developed advanced technology and have been fighting a war in the past by sending people and technology back in time. after a lot of research, they decide to send both Link and Zelda. at the start of the game, Link is waking from his stasis after going back thousands of years. he will later unite with Zelda, who was woken up somewhere else. together, they have to destroy Ganon before he destroys the future

this is our bridge to a futuristic or modern-esque Zelda game.

Malus

Has anyone discussed this?

That said, there isn’t much of a Wii U identity to this game. The game can be played with the console’s signature GamePad controller but can also be played with the conventional screenless Pro Controller. Aonuma said that players using the GamePad can use that controller’s screen to move the game’s display to the GamePad screen, but that screen doesn’t seem to do much else.

For the E3 demos, the GamePad screen shows the control mappings. “Previously, when I was playing with Mr Miyamoto, you might have seen that the map was on the GamePad screen,” Aonuma said, referring to a demo he did of the game two Decembers ago. “But after developing the game and playing the game we realised that having a smaller version of the map on screen is actually better so you know where you are at all times. So we decided to take it that route. Obviously if we find that there’s a great feature we could add to the GamePad, there is a possibility that we could do that.”

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/06/hands-on-with-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/

Oh definitely. I remember seeing this but completely forgot about it. Would lead credence to a post-WW timeline.

I was toying around with a "fallen hero" timeline, possibly post Zelda II, but there's nothing concrete that would connect it to that timeline. Same with the child timeline, I think.

But, the post-WW timeline does have several factors that would make it possible, the existence of the Koroks the biggest one. If we go with the theory that the Koroks planted trees which led to the receding of the great waters, then that would certainly take many, many years. The new continent/new Hyrule would have been the location for civilization to live and flourish together, not separated by all the islands. Once the flood waters recede, then they can return to the land below. Or something like that.

It doesn't explain everything though, such as the Guardians.

No kidding. The attempt to have everything connected leads to it not being completely sound in all places.
I think there is some evidence to a connection to the NES Zeldas. Also in Zelda 2, Hyrule was divided into two large landmasses with an ocean submerging half of Hyrule.

Peléo

Anybody have an image or description of the game controls?

Watching all the demos, is the bow and arrow a Left trigger/Right trigger action? Or are people aiming with the gamepad motion controls, how WWHD and TPHD worked. They're moving and aiming at the same time.

49db44e1780d510b59e6480bd022d7ee.png

MajorMane

I think there is some evidence to a connection to the NES Zeldas. Also in Zelda 2, Hyrule was divided into two large landmasses with an ocean submerging half of Hyrule.

I'll be honest, I've never played Zelda II and my experience with the first is extremely limited, so I appreciate the insight there. I figured with them referencing the NES connection that it might be possible that it's in this timeline. Hell, I even tried to piece it together that the Link in this game is the one from Zelda I + II, but I've got nothing.

The pieces for a WW timeline seem to be more in place, though.

I dig the idea of all three timelines collapsing on eachother.. Maybe we'll get to fight multiple Gannon's.. Maybe we'll meet up with multiple links.

I'll be honest, I've never played Zelda II and my experience with the first is extremely limited, so I appreciate the insight there. I figured with them referencing the NES connection that it might be possible that it's in this timeline. Hell, I even tried to piece it together that the Link in this game is the one from Zelda I + II, but I've got nothing.

The pieces for a WW timeline seem to be more in place, though.
Other than references to an ancient sea that's been unflooded and the Koroks, I'd say there's very little indication that it's in the WW timeline. Especially when a major part of that story was leaving Hyrule behind and in ST they established a new Hyrule. As well as the fact that the Master Sword is in a much different location. I'd say of all time lines it kinda best seems to establish a connection to the NES Zeldas. There is some resemblance to Zelda 2's overworld and Breath of the Wild's. Zelda 2's Hyrule is also the largest version of Hyrule until BotW. Also the old man has made appearances in the majority of the titles in the "Fallen Link" timeline.

wishdom

So have they addressed voice acting at all? Is the lady at the opening the only voiced character?

I believe they said the important characters in the story will have VA, except Link.

So unfortunately most NPCs won't have it, unless they change their mind.

Top Bottom