• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

dominuece

76jUj091NbsrK.gif

Swear on everything I'll buy a Nintendo console for this game.

I don't have a video handy for parrying melee weapons but here's Link parrying a laser.

https://youtu.be/fEI8H262EAk?t=1m6s

This video is great btw, it has a few more gif-worthy moments of things not shown off in the Treehouse stream.

Fantastic video. I know people talking about how presenters are bad at games is basically a meme at this point but this game just looks amazing when someone obviously a bit more competent is playing.

Also just noticing and appreciating the "smear" animation when the bokogoblins swing their clubs.

doofy102

I'm kind of stunned at how many items you get in this tiny area.

Will the other, much bigger areas have as much new stuff per square mile?

Kozak

Banned
I think we can all agree that Zelda was a success at E3

10Qwa9NDpwhSDu.gif

As much as Nintendo has dropped the ball with the Wii U, you really can't deny that they are one of the only few video game companies that can still ignite that child-like excitement for video games from adults.

There was a guy in the Gamestop stream that said you could put a metal plank on top of a small rock, stand in one end and throw a weight to the other and link just flies .

I'm loving all of the small animations. Like the cooking, skull kicking, and toe stubbing. I can't wait to see the other characters in the world.

Aldric

Parry is actually from Skyward Sword, the secret best part about that game

What's great with this game is that it really feels like the culmination of a bunch of gameplay ideas introduced in previous titles except they've been adapted to the non linear open world concept. For example, snowboarding in Twilight Princess was fun but you could only do it in a very specific place. In this game though you can slide on your shield pretty much everywhere there's a slope. Using the Deku leaf to move a boat was a key part of a TWW dungeon while you stumble on this scenario while exploring the overworld and it's only one of the many ways to reach your destination. Skyward Sword had very fun concepts like the parachute or Link's athletic abilities but you only used the former when entering a linear area and the later was used as a way to clear playground type obstacle courses that didn't feel natural at all, compared to the way BotW elegantly makes these abilities key parts of the gameplay, making climbing and paragliding constant exploration tools.

lt really feels like the best of what the franchise has to offer put into an open world package.

Chaos17

And another gif to add to the OP, that video is so good.
Thanks guys for all the gifs!

I'm kind of stunned at how many items you get in this tiny area.

Will the other, much bigger areas have as much new stuff per square mile?

Some few pages back a modo explained that he noticed from watching different videos that items you get in the chests are randomly generated.
For example, one guy got a fire rod in a cave while another didn't get it while visiting the same cave.

doofy102

Some few pages back a modo explained that he noticed from watching different videos that items you get in the chests are randomly generated.
For example, one guy got a fire rod in a cave while another didn't get it while visiting the same cave.

Wow. That's *really* breaking the conventions of Zelda.

Did the fire rod degrade?

Gsnap

Well I guess that's what the hoodie is for? People that live in desert areas wear white clothes and cover their heads. Removing your clothes will probably just make the sun burn your body. Hopefully that's implemented since Link gets red in the chest and cheekbones when you are in the cold.

Would be great if there was a difference between sun heat and heat in general. In the desert, wearing a hood would help keep the heat from the sun off you, but in death mountain, it wouldn't have the same effect. In death mountain, going shirtless would help with the heat, but in the desert you get sunburnt. That'd be great.

Also those gifs are really nice.

grimmiq

Looking forward to this, but I don't have the nostalgia hype a lot of people are having. Never actually finished a Zelda game, played Twilight Princess/Windwaker/Skyward Sword at their launches but got bored 15-20ish hours into each, so when I hear people talk so highly of the characters and the stories and the worlds, I just don't see/feel it.

It looks great and I'll use it as an excuse to buy an NX, hopefully I enjoy it more than the previous games I've attempted.

I don't have a video handy for parrying melee weapons but here's Link parrying a laser.

https://youtu.be/fEI8H262EAk?t=1m6s

This video is great btw, it has a few more gif-worthy moments of things not shown off in the Treehouse stream.

At about four minutes in, you can see that kicking a chest open without shoes prompts Link to grab his foot and bounce in pain. Poor Link.

EDIT: Beaten like a LOSER

Congrats to Zelda for winning IGN's Game of the Show.

These awards mean squat to me, but Zelda certainly deserves it (and it's probably the first of many)!

MK_768

Chopping down trees and using the logs to cross a previously unpassable bridge.

https://fat.gfycat.com/GregariousBlueIndianhare.webm

He definitely is. He even hums while cooking.

Wow. Clearly we can see what all of the dev time has done. It has really allowed Nintendo to focus on the little things. The world is grand enough, and that's awesome, but the little things can really make a game special.

As someone who isn't a huge Zelda fan, I'm fucking hyped for this game. I watched the trailer and I said "Holy shit" a couple times. I don't like open world games that much because I get bored easily but I think I'll enjoy this game. I think I'll enjoy going to the top of a mountain and just shield surfing down it lol.

3phemeral

Has there been any info about respawning trees? I believe I read that trees respawn after you die, but what about distance or time?

Top Bottom