• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamespot] Final Fantasy XV Story Cinematics [possibly spoilers]

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Why is her name Cindy instead of Cidney? This is gonna bug the shit outta me.

But overall the voice acting wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Sounds like a non-offensive anime dub.

Go_Ly_Dow

The thing is...compared to Jrpg localizations in general, this is much better. But people get these out of context scenes and nitpick every small detail.

It's not ace, but it's not terrible either, unlike some people seem to be saying. A lot of things you need to see in context and with the final, finished scenes.

FFXII set the gold standard for JRPG localization so it's difficult to come down from that, haha.

Twookie

Ugh I'll probably do japanese dubs on this game I think

the japanese dub on the scene where noctis hears what happened in lucis has a lot more emotional impact

Why is her name Cindy instead of Cidney? This is gonna bug the shit outta me.

But overall the voice acting wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Sounds like a non-offensive anime dub.

i think her dad/ "pawpaw" is cid or something

The thing is...compared to Jrpg localizations in general, this is much better. But people get these out of context scenes and nitpick every small detail.

It's not ace, but it's not terrible either, unlike some people seem to be saying. A lot of things you need to see in context and with the final, finished scenes.
Could you name some general JRPG series and their localizations for comparison? Honest request.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The comments on that Youtube video are much more positive than people on Gaf. Goes to show that sometimes negative attitudes are infectious.

Not really? Is it really surprising that people on GAF might be more critical of something than random people on Youtube? This is a game enthusiasts and industry message board. The more exposure you have to something, the more comparisons you have to be more critical. Someone who has only seen 20 movies in their life is probably going to be more positive about a random summer blockbuster than someone who has seen 2000.

Yeah, you're going to have people who shit on it to shit on it. "Final Fantasy hasn't been good since blah blah blah." But you're also going to have people who will defend everything about the game and will probably go into Defense Mode when the reviews start pouring in. Instead of the echo chamber of positivity they had when the game was in production, the rest of the gaming community is giving their 2 cents. I guarantee there will be a backlash against the first negative review.

Speaking personally, I'll be positive about something when they show me something worth being positive about. The recent Altissia "walkthrough" trailer was nice, but it had so many frequent cuts that it was hard to get a handle on it.

sappyday

Koozek is right. The character interactions are amazing. The dialogue and english dub not so much. Thankfully it's confirmed we'll be getting the JP voices right? If so then I'll definitely be playing it like that.

Yeah, it was so easy to just call her Cidney even if there's a Cid. :D

I think she is in the JP version. Just another fumble from the localization team.

artsi

why are there no (self)shadows? is this a design choice or engine limitation?

There are in direct light.

2xuntrb.png

The indoor scene and some others have just bounce lighting, game has real time global illumination, so no hard shadows there.

Angel_DvA

3 bad things in this movie:

1) English dub.
2) The lack of AA, it looks damn rough and those hairs look awful...
3) Dialogue are pretty bad and the lack of fantasy is mind blowing, dude are taking selfies and shit -_-'...

Go_Ly_Dow

No. FFX.

I'm saying this shit was *bad*.

I'm fine with X. Much lower quality character models, facial expressions and animations, so the lack of realism made it feel much more like a game than a movie. Playing it as a child has left me with strong nostalgia for it so I can handle the quirky nature of it even in old age (along with many other Japanese PS2 games).

XIII on the other hand is hard to swallow.

Visually, looks alright. The reaction to the
news was really poor though, and the newspaper bit seemed a tad laughable.

I guess I'll have to play this one in Japanese.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
3 bad things in this movie:

1) English dub.
2) The lack of AA, it looks damn rough and those hairs look awful...
3) Dialogue are pretty bad and the lack of fantasy is mind blowing, dude are taking selfies and shit -_-'...
Agree with all of that except the bolded, it's part of their "fantasy based on reality". Square is still being largely mum about the Fantasy part and just showing the early parts of the game. They need to get some fresh eyeballs on their marketing team.

I ragged on their localization on the official forums a while back.

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/938/reminder-fix-your-english-localization/p1

Even tho I'm used to and desensitized to anime style dubbing/localization, it is quite obvious this standard is not good enough for the mass market that they are pursuing. How they can be so blind to that is baffling and peeves me of a lot.

They achieved absolutely wonderful standards for FF12 and NieR, so why not this? Grrr...

I don't think the localization is great, but some of the cutscene issues seem to stem further than that. Like the group suddenly taking a photo with this mechanic they just met for seemingly no reason. Not to mention
the group finding out about Insomnia in the newspaper and the way they react to it.

tuxfool

Banned
It's really not. As someone who can't usually stand RPG's with voice acting, this seems to be on the less offensive end of the deal, based on this video at least.

Noctis' VA is pretty bad though. But mostly everyone else seems fine.

Ignis is nails on a chalkboard bad.

- J - D -

The only hope left is that between now and release the final mixing process and added scoring will help mitigate the stilted performances, though I suppose the scene direction can't be helped at this point.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The localization can only do so much with the original script. Luckily for games like XII and XIV the localization team was given a bunch of leeway and in the latter's case those guys actually help write the game.

XIV has a wonderful localization and Heavensward really stepped up on the English voice acting so it's disappointing to see XV's as a step back.

danthefan

Lot of talk about the dialogue, but I didn't think it was terrible. Unlike XIII I actually understood what they were talking about for the most part.

Koozek

Koozek is right. The character interactions are amazing. The dialogue and english dub not so much. Thankfully it's confirmed we'll be getting the JP voices right? If so then I'll definitely be playing it like that.

I think she is in the JP version. Just another fumble from the localization team.

My problem is that I can't stand Japanese VA anymore. Too much overacting and squeaky female voices. Though I must say, Ignis and Gladio sound way better in Japanese, but Prompto somehow sounds even more annoying than in English, argggh, just thinking about it...

Here's a comparison between EN and JP from Duscae:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92jWMTK9EOM

artsi

Oh shit that whole newspaper reaction confusion might be thanks to localization.

What Gladio says in the Duscae ending, from 0:44 forward might be the scene in OP's video (2:34).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzGuknhqi3c

Except in JP he doesn't say anything about
king being dead
, just Insomnia being attacked.
Would explain the "lame" reaction of Noctis.

Koozek

The localization can only do so much with the original script. Luckily for games like XII and XIV the localization team was given a bunch of leeway and in the latter's case those guys actually help write the game.

XIV has a wonderful localization and Heavensward really stepped up on the English voice acting so it's disappointing to see XV's as a step back.

Could you link to any good example cutscene from Heavensward?

CHC

I mean.... I guess. But that's besides the point. It's a AAA game in 2016, it shouldn't have to be compared things it's worse than to justify itself. Square's aim with this game is to sell many millions of copies and win back a large chunk of the western audience, so in that regard comparisons to other translations are kind of irrelevant. It could obviously be a lot worse, but with the budget, timeframe, and goals they have, it should be better.

Hazanko

Banned
Yeah that's really bad. The voice acting and writing is off putting. Maybe the Japanese is better, though I hope SquareEnix do better localizations in future.

From the OP's video? There's only an English version of that. Here's a comparison between the EN and JP VA from Episode Duscae, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92jWMTK9EOM
That's why I couldnt find it. I watched someone play the JP Duncae demo. Will watch this video to get idea...

Thanks a lot.

Edit: I just watch a half of th English dub... Let's be blunt here: it is unbelievably bad, especially for a triple A title.

I mean, I get that these aren't finished, but I would expect hearing the news "Your father is dead, your country has fallen, and you are now on the run" would elicit more of a response than "No wait, hold on..." while looking at the floor and then moving on to "But the wedding...". Way to handle your Father's death and the usurping of your throne like a champ.

The entire scene lacks the needed gravitas. The lack of music definitely doesn't help, but the dialogue combined with finding it out from a newspaper in a random room really takes the drama out of it.

With the rest of the scenes... I mean, I hope these are unfinished. Because if not, wow.

I don't think the localization is great, but some of the cutscene issues seem to stem further than that. Like the group suddenly taking a photo with this mechanic they just met for seemingly no reason. Not to mention
the group finding out about Insomnia in the newspaper and the way they react to it.

They seem to be taking a photo with the car, not Cidney. Probably because they're going to leave it in her hands to hopefully get fixed so they're commemorating their ride.

artsi

Oh shit that whole newspaper reaction confusion might be thanks to localization.

What Gladio says in the Duscae ending, from 0:44 forward might be the scene in OP's video (2:34).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzGuknhqi3c

Except in JP he doesn't say anything about
king being dead
, just Insomnia being attacked.
Would explain the "lame" reaction of Noctis.

Seems like I was right. Gladio doesn't say
the king is dead
in the original JP audio in that newspaper scene.

I mixed the Duscae ending audio + video in OP. Lip sync is in English, but the scene is the same.

https://vid.me/5MMX

jimmypython

this looks stiff.....the engine is absolutely atrocious.. Everything looks super unnatural.

Tabata might think he was smart by sticking to their own engine. Well he couldn't be more wrong. Just see how good KH3/KHBbS0.2 and FF7remake look.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

These are all great. I'd like to add this one in particular since it made me feel incredibly sad and ties back to the story in the Binding Coil of Bahamut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3kTEy710Ss

Seems like I was right. Gladio doesn't say
the king is dead
in the original JP audio in that newspaper scene.

I mixed the Duscae ending audio + video in OP. Lip sync is in English, but the scene is the same.

https://vid.me/5MMX

Well that certainly makes a lot more sense. Is the English we're getting still placeholder? Who's even localizing this?

Ray Down

Banned
I mean, I get that these aren't finished, but I would expect hearing the news "Your father is dead, your country has fallen, and you are now on the run" would elicit more of a response than "No wait, hold on..." while looking at the floor and then moving on to "But the wedding...". Way to handle your Father's death and the usurping of your throne like a champ.

The entire scene lacks the needed gravitas. The lack of music definitely doesn't help, but the dialogue combined with finding it out from a newspaper in a random room really takes the drama out of it.

With the rest of the scenes... I mean, I hope these are unfinished. Because if not, wow.

I think he's in disbelief will all these actions happening over a course of a day/night. The whole wedding was suppose to be a peace ceremony between the 2 kingdoms and over night it's all gone down. It's not really making sense to him.

Cubas

The VA is terrible, the lack of music is really evident and my god the hair looks TERRIBLE.

I think I'll end up enjoying the game, but it's really missing in some technical departments.

I think he's in disbelief will all these actions happening over a course of a day/night. The whole wedding was suppose to be a peace ceremony between the 2 kingdoms and over night it's all gone down. It's not really making sense to him.

I get that, but because they are in a random room so far removed from the action and read it from a newspaper the entire scene seems really lame. It comes across less as "Oh shit, things are getting bad" and seems more like "someone forgot to buy milk at the grocery store". The lack of lip sync, music, and added subtle movements doesn't help, but that just seemed really flacid. Same with when Noctis says "Don't bother" in anger. Clearly the situation is sinking into him, but it sounds like they are all in different rooms at different times (because they are in reality) when they speak to each other. Nothing seemed to "hit" like it should. These scenes also makes me realize just how much a good soundtrack adds to a scene because the lack of one is deafening.

I guess I see why they don't put these demos out to the public, because that clearly wasn't a good look.

Edit: And why is there the constant sound of Seagulls and ocean waves in the background even when they are in a building?

Edit 2: And I'm not even saying it's horrible. It just really seemed to lack an oomph to it.

Sami+

This looks awful. How can an international multi-million dollar company like Square shit something this bad out in 2016?

Squire

Banned
I see Jack Fletcher's dark reign continues unabated.

They're voices really don't cut it any more. The fidelity of everything just makes the quality really hard to swallow.

Top Bottom