• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic game (year unspecified) confirmed for 7.22 announcement, movie details

TreIII

it'd get buried under everything else releasing this fall. Fallout 4 announced in early June. This is in late July. They should've shown it off at E3 if it was coming this fall.

I also think that they'll put it on NX, and a late port of that won't fly.

Sonic, at the very least, has a dedicated audience that will likely show up guaranteed if the game is any good.

And especially with how fans have been in light of how long it's been since the last major/mainstream release, the thirst is definitely real. So in that respect, I'm not that worried. It really just comes down to being what kind of expectations Sega will put forth with this particular game.

IrishNinja

unleashed was ehhh, chao gardens are alright...i'd go for more colors, really happy if its Generations 2 or the like

they're really going ahead with that sonic boom animation huh? how's that working out?

also why is huelen unbanned

Wow I'm impressed SonicGAF. No one posted the cycle in the first two pages.

I'm reserved until I see gameplay. I actually liked lost world.

Tizoc

Bah just show me the Classic Sonic game project
Which is the Taxmen ports on Consoles and Steam, thank you very much.

Chao

Recently i fired up my old dreamcast and remembered how cool it was to transfer my chao to the VMU and play the mini games to make it stronger. It would be cool to see something like that again in the future, but sadly we would need sega back in the hardware business first.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You're too slow!
to make E3

sonto340

unleashed was ehhh, chao gardens are alright...i'd go for more colors, really happy if its Generations 2 or the like

they're really going ahead with that sonic boom animation huh? how's that working out?

also why is huelen unbanned
Sonic Boom has been doing really well in its demographic last we heard.

The thread title still needs changing. As well as the OP itself. There's no official word of this game being announced on July 22nd. See Sal's posts from earlier (note: Sal is the person behind Gematsu):

This is just an assumption in NWR's report given that Sega’s Aaron Webber teased at SXSW, “If you’re looking forward to a game announcement—I’m not saying that there’s going to be a game announcement at this party, but you should probably come to this party.”

The actual Famitsu interview doesn't say anything about a July 22 announcement.
Eh, not really. I mean, a new game is obvious and hearing about it at the party is something Sega has already said.

The interview is more like:

---Please tell us about your vision for the future of the Sonic series.

We hope to offer a wider range of interaction and broaden Sonic in a lot of ways, in addition to the games made by the Sonic Team, there is the Sonic Boom CG animation and the movie produced by Sony Pictures as well.

Edit: Anyway, you should update the OP with my prev post and this one. =P

Neoxon

The new Sonic game will be coming in 2017.

Clx09v3VEAUXgiC.jpg:large

Guess Who

Banned
2017, damn. That's four years since Lost World. I'm pretty sure that makes this the longest span of time without a "mainline" Sonic game since the S3&K > Sonic Adventure gap.

ajim

I really just want another sonic racing all stars transformed.

The last one was seriously so so good

Piers

Just because they don't rush it out doesn't mean the game won't be a buggy mess.
One of the best jokes in Generations, though unintended, was Modern Sonic yelling to his classic self: "Enjoy the future! It's gonna be great!"
And it could be easy to read that as sarcasm, but he genuinely means it in goodwill.

mrmickfran

Just because they don't rush it out doesn't mean the game won't be a buggy mess.
Why else would they push it to 2017 then? They could've easily release it later this year for some quick Christmas sales, but it looks like they actually give a shit this time.

Guess Who

Banned
Why else would they push it to 2017 then? They could've easily release it later this year for some quick Christmas sales, but it looks like they actually give a shit this time.

An NX release makes some sense. Sonic games tend to do very well on Nintendo platforms.

Raitaro

When has there ever been a Sonic game that wasn't rushed and was a buggy mess???

Hopefully their deal with Big Red Button / Sanzaru for the Boom games has made it possible for Sonic Team to take some more time for their own new game. But yeah, many of the main games' problems do seem to stem from rushed (no pun intended) development (in combination with what seems to be a lack of clear direction and a tendency to implement innovation / gimmicks for innovation / gimmicks sake).

For anyone with some time to spare, I highly recommend ShayMay's 3 part (long) videos where he breaks down the Sonic series to analyse what went right originally and what went wrong in later games, as well as his suggestion in part 3 (complete with story boards) for his own ideal new 3D game that goes back to the core concepts of the old games (i.e. fluid momentum based gameplay and fun worlds to explore).

Sonic Spitball Part 1
Sonic Spitball Part 2
Sonic Spitball Part 3

bman94

Hopefully their deal with Big Red Button / Sanzaru for the Boom games has made it possible for Sonic Team to take some more time for their own new game. But yeah, many of the main games' problems do seem to stem from rushed (no pun intended) development (in combination with what seems to be a lack of clar direction and innovation / gimmicks for innovation / gimmicks sake).

For anyone with some time to spare, I highly recommend ShayMay's 3 part (long) videos where he breaks down the Sonic series to analyse what went right originally and what went wrong in later games, as well as his suggestion in part 3 (complete with story boards) for his own ideal new 3D game that goes back to the core concepts of the old games (i.e. fluid momentum based gameplay and fun worlds to explore).

Sonic Spitball Part 1
Sonic Spitball Part 2
Sonic Spitball Part 3

Maybe I said that weird. The ones that were rushed, were a buggy mess (Sonic 06, Sonic Boom) but the other games that weren't rushay have had some questionable design choices but they weren't "buggy messes".

Forkball

Mario comes out for Sonic's 25th anniversary but the blue blur didn't do shit for Mario's 25th anniversary. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Raitaro

Maybe I said that weird. The ones that were rushed, were a buggy mess (Sonic 06, Sonic Boom) but the other games that weren't rushay have had some questionable design choices but they weren't "buggy messes".

I had interpreted it that way but thanks for adding some nuance anyway.

Hutchie

Cell shaded 3d sonic with no friend bar tails and knuckles or bust. The game can work in 3d as adventure 1 & 2 showed

RK128

Guess it will come out on NX if it gets released in March then?

.....................................................................................................

Well, this makes waiting for that PS4 all the more easier in my.....

Hopefully an NX exclusive as well. :D

....I would have to seriously consider my choice of console this fall after July's announcement in that case :l. Dammit, don't have money to buy two platforms this year :(. Ugh, guess I won't be playing the anniversary game after all. At least I got Fire & Ice to play for Sonic.

ReBirFh

I hope it does well, I'm very fond of SEGA and it's past. Sonic deserved a better gaming legacy and I still hope SEGA can turn things around and become great again.

Top Bottom