• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2010: Home Of "By The Time I Get To Arizona"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
FlightOfHeaven said:
Chart is a little confusing

Agreed. Is the dark blue on the left the overall budget, while the multi-colored section on the right is that part of the budget that has been allocated, suggesting that we're running a surplus this year?

GhaleonEB

mckmas8808 said:
I am starting to think Obama's choice to end the 50 Billion dollar bank fund in the FinReg bill is terrible.

Where will the money coome from when a bank fails?
It's important to bear in mind what that fund was intended to do. It was not a "bailout fund", but rather to be used as a bridge fund to keep an in-peril "too big to fail" institution afloat for a few days while the regulators poured in and evaluated the situation. That way they could analyze, seize and either recapitalize - FDIC-style - or dismantle completely in an orderly way, not in an all-out panic.

IIRC, In Dodd's bill, the $50 billion would be raised preemptively via a fee on major banks, similar to the FDIC insurance fund. In the compromise to drop the provision, the government would inject the bridge funding while the analysis of the firm is being conducted. Then, after the resolution, a fee to recoup all costs would be levied on the rest of the industry so the government cost is zero. In this way it will operate very similar to the $90b fee Obama proposed to recoup the rest of the TARP funds.

It's a very small concession, and one the Dems are willing to make if it means the consumer protection agency and derivatives won't get watered down. (Which is why, in the Politico article above, they're now targeting Lincoln's derivative legislation.)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
cntrational said:
Apparently, Obama's proposal is to get the funds after the bank is shut down, not before.

So where does the money come from when the first big bank fails? Who pays for the first wind down of the next Lehman Brothers failure?

mckmas8808 said:
So where does the money come from when the first big bank fails? Who pays for the first wind down of the next Lehman Brothers failure?

I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, that maybe you missed Ghal's explanation, but it did come 20 minutes before this post. Come on, mck.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
platypotamus said:
I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, that maybe you missed Ghal's explanation, but it did come 20 minutes before this post. Come on, mck.

TBH, Im on a cellphone because my broadband modem is dead. So I didn't know Ghal answered my question on the next page and I didn't know it.

But to answer Ghal's explanation, I don't think the comprimise is that terrible anymore. But I do worry that the GOP can better argue that a bailout provision is NOW in the bill when the see Ghal's explanation.

If the Federal govt will initially fork over the bridge money so that the big bank will be closed, then how do you think the GOP will explain that part of the bill? Because of that I still like the original idea better that Croaker ans Warner came up with.

jorma

is now taking requests
Tacitus_ said:

Europe has had universal healthcare since forever and god seems to have been fine with that, but when america tries to do it, it pisses him off so much he decides to punish.. europe?

It would have been funny if one thought he actually believed it himself, now it's just evil how he uses any opportunity to rile up his teabagging masses. If you are in america, look forward to another email detailing this, forwarded to you by your douchebag evangelical coworker.

GhaleonEB

mckmas8808 said:
If the Federal govt will initially fork over the bridge money so that the big bank will be closed, then how do you think the GOP will explain that part of the bill? Because of that I still like the original idea better that Croaker ans Warner came up with.
The bottom line is that the GOP is doing everything they can to scuttle the bill and come out looking, if not good, then not terrible for it. So they are lying about every provision they can come up with. The $50b fund was jointly developed with GOP support, and now they attack it as a bailout. Just as they jointly developed much of the healthcare bill and attack it as a government take over of healthcare.

Which is why I generally don't spend any time worrying about what the GOP is going to call something. They're going to oppose everything, and say whatever they want in order to justify opposing it. Full stop.

jorma said:
Europe has had universal healthcare since forever and god seems to have been fine with that, but when america tries to do it, it pisses him off so much he decides to punish.. europe?

It would have been funny if one thought he actually believed it himself, now it's just evil how he uses any opportunity to rile up his teabagging masses. If you are in america, look forward to another email detailing this, forwarded to you by your douchebag evangelical coworker.
It's Rush. We should be used to it by now.

Sadly, people in his base eat it up.

jorma said:

Just means that God should be prepping punishment on Rush for being an extremely fat, pill popping, and hedonistic hate monger who just throws out red meat to dumb right wing christians when he himself has demonstrated no actual belief in any of it.

Byakuya769 said:
Just means that God should be prepping punishment on Rush for being an extremely fat, pill popping, and hedonistic hate monger who just throws out red meat to dumb right wing christians when he himself has demonstrated no actual belief in any of it.

If there is a god and some sort of punishment, I wonder what Rush would get.

I think nothing would be so painful as witnessing the long march and triumph of progressive ideas over and over again.

GhaleonEB said:
Who didn't see this coming: McConnell rejects compromise on the $50b, says they need to "go back to the drawing board" and will block debate on the bill in order to do so.

Assholes. Still the "Party of No." And falling back on the same tired talking point as the healthcare debate, too. At least they're doing all the Dem legwork for them. I can see the pro-reform ads now:

"When it comes to meaningful reform, Senator _______ says 'No.' That we need to 'go back to the drawing board.' Can you guess which reform bill they're talking about? Healthcare? Financial reform? We can't tell either. Republicans on Capitol Hill: The Party of No."

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
GhaleonEB said:
Who didn't see this coming: McConnell rejects compromise on the $50b, says they need to "go back to the drawing board" and will block debate on the bill in order to do so.
My general feeling is that the GOP has gone to the well one too many times and that it will come back to bite them. After the protracted health care "debate" I don't think the average person will want to hear the same bullshit line of reasoning. It may keep the dicks of their base hard but that's about it.

GhaleonEB said:
mitch_mcconnell_frown-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg

McConnell makes a lot of weird faces.

bob_arctor said:
My general feeling is that the GOP has gone to the well one too many times and that it will come back to bite them. After the protracted health care "debate" I don't think the average person will want to hear the same bullshit line of reasoning. It may keep the dicks of their base hard but that's about it.

Don't be fooled by the Frank Luntz crowd.

Likewise, moderate Republican Scott Brown (R-MA), once considered a swing vote on regulatory reform, explicitly threatened to vote to block the bill from even being debated. Asked by CBS' Bob Schieffer if he'd filibuster the bill rather than let it come to the Senate floor, Brown was unequivocal: "In this particular instance, yes," he said.
Scott Brown is such a free thinking independent.

"When the Kentucky bankers tell that this bill is a long way from being what we ought to pass, then it raises some concerns with me. And I think it does with all of our colleagues across the country who are hearing the same thing."
Fuck Mitch McConnell.

The line of reasoning must be that since they didn't suffer in the polls too much from blocking health care, then they couldn't suffer by blocking this either. Problem being that I think significantly more people can relate to what happened with Wall Street then with Health Care.

They're going to have to spout so much bullshit to cover themselves, they may as well replace their mouths with their anus.

Tamanon

Banned
Plus, Health Care you could survive a "no" strategy on because you could prey on fears of taking something away from the Real Americans. There's nothing about the financial bill that you can run on like that.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
SpeedySwaf said:
The line of reasoning must be that since they didn't suffer in the polls too much from blocking health care, then they couldn't suffer by blocking this either. Problem being that I think significantly more people can relate to what happened with Wall Street then with Health Care.

They're going to have to spout so much bullshit to cover themselves, they may as well replace their mouths with their anus.

replace?

Taliban calls for peace talks
Taliban chief Mullah Mohammed Omar has said that he and his followers are willing to hold "sincere and honest" peace talks with Western political leaders.

In an interview with the Sunday Times conducted deep inside territory held by Afghan resistance forces, two men whom the newspaper identified as members of the Taliban's ruling council said that Mr Omar was not vying to rule Afghanistan.

US President Barack Obama's administration is currently considering whether to drop its opposition to direct talks with the Taliban.
Needless to say, its a trap.

http://whitecollarfraud.blogspot.com/2010/04/did-clever-sec-bait-goldman-sachs-into.html
The Kiss of Death

In filing its lawsuit against Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS) on a Friday, the Securities and Exchange Commission sent what I call the "kiss of death" message to the embattled company. In other words, the SEC wanted to stick it to Goldman Sachs and Fabrice Tourre, the Executive Director of Goldman Sachs International, who is also a defendant in the complaint. While the SEC as a practice does inform target companies and individuals of an impending enforcement action, it does not always tell them exactly when such an action will be filed.

Apparently, the SEC filed its lawsuit without giving Goldman Sachs the heads up that it was planning to file it that day. Business Insider observed that Goldman Sachs was clearly unprepared to respond to the complaint as news of the lawsuit dominated the headlines all day. Goldman issued a short denial around noon and issued an extensive denial late in the afternoon, after most people had gone packing for the weekend.

When a company or individual receives a surprise subpoena on a Friday from the SEC, it is usually designed to ruin their weekend plans. Yes, the SEC can get personal in its own way.

Usually, corporate lawyers are unavailable on short notice to work weekends. When a company or individual receives a subpoena or lawsuit on a Friday, they are left to stew in anxiety over the weekend until Monday, before their lawyers can appropriately advice them on how to respond to the SEC.

Back in the day as the criminal CFO of Crazy Eddie, I received a surprise subpoena from the SEC late Friday afternoon. I had to wait until Monday before my attorneys had time to advise me on a course of action.

The "kiss of death" message is deliberately sent on Fridays to chill the bones of criminals. Some criminals wait in anxiety during the weekend until Monday to consult with their attorneys about what to do next. Other criminals or SEC targets like Goldman Sachs don't want to wait until Monday. So they make rash decisions and major errors in prematurely reacting to the "kiss of death" message to their own peril and find themselves in legal quicksand.

Goldman Sachs chose not to wait until Monday and fully digest the implications of the SEC complaint. After a relatively short consultation with its attorneys, the company hastily issued a detailed press release later Friday afternoon that I believe will land it into deeper potential trouble. Before I discuss that issue, it's worth noting who the SEC selected to be its lead counsel in the lawsuit against Goldman Sachs.

must read more at link

includes this disclaimer:
Disclosure

I am a convicted felon and a former CPA. As the criminal CFO of Crazy Eddie, I helped Eddie Antar and other members of his family mastermind one of the largest securities frauds uncovered during the 1980's. I committed my crimes, simply because I could.

If it weren't for the efforts of the FBI, SEC, Postal Inspector's Office, US Attorney's Office, and class action plaintiff's lawyers who investigated, prosecuted, and sued me, I would still be the criminal CFO of Crazy Eddie today.

I do not own Goldman Sachs securities short or long. However, it did scam Goldman Sachs analyst Richard Balter about Crazy Eddie's financial reports during my criminal days as the CFO of the company.

My research on Goldman Sachs is a freebie for securities regulators and the public in order to help me get into heaven, though I doubt that I will ever get there anyway. I personally believe that some people at Goldman Sachs may end up joining me in hell.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Incognito said:

This sentence reads a little odd given that the blogger's name is Sam Antar: "I helped Eddie Antar and other members of his family . . . ." I suppose Sam Antar could have worked as the CFO in Eddie Antar's criminal enterprise and not be related, but that does kind of stretch one's imagination.

Interesting link, though. Thanks.

mre said:
This sentence reads a little odd given that the blogger's name is Sam Antar: "I helped Eddie Antar and other members of his family . . . ." I suppose Sam Antar could have worked as the CFO in Eddie Antar's criminal enterprise and not be related, but that does kind of stretch one's imagination.

Interesting link, though. Thanks.

found it via barry rithotlz

Tamanon said:
Plus, Health Care you could survive a "no" strategy on because you could prey on fears of taking something away from the Real Americans. There's nothing about the financial bill that you can run on like that.

Endless tax payer bailouts of Wall Street? Seems like that will work, given time.

grumble

GaimeGuy said:
http://static.theatlantic.com/wire/images/comics/tea-parties-237-years.gif[/img ][/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong. I heard something about those native-dressed guys actually being tea smugglers.

[url]http://www.boston-tea-party.org/smuggling/John-Hancock.html[/url]

Just found it interesting. Things are never black and white, and it's always about money.

mAcOdIn

Freshmaker said:
So the Articles of Confederation are ready to be used as a government now? :lol
You know, if you'd actually read my posts instead of looking for "conservative buzzwords" you'd see I am advocating the complete opposite of that, and if you were willing to give me the benefit of the doubt I'd like to think you'd think I wasn't thinking(what the hell?? lol) that going back to something that's already failed once was a legitimate answer. A Republic covers a wide range of options, the States can have more power and still be a Republic and the Federal government can have more power and still be a Republic so I don't see the need to assume I was advocating a Confederacy, which I don't support as it'd make everything I said in the following post post even more annoying and backwards.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
mAcOdIn said:
You know, if you'd actually read my posts instead of looking for "conservative buzzwords" you'd see I am advocating the complete opposite of that, and if you were willing to give me the benefit of the doubt I'd like to think you'd think I wasn't thinking(what the hell?? lol) that going back to something that's already failed once was a legitimate answer.

When you say it should either be federalized or states should be granted more power and the federal government minimized, it's worth pointing out that such a system was attempted and that it failed.

One option is not as good as the other. If the states were capable of operating like this, we wouldn't be having these stupid civil rights debates to this day.

mAcOdIn

Freshmaker said:
When you say it should either be federalized or states should be granted more power and the federal government minimized, it's worth pointing out that such a system was attempted and that it failed.

One option is not as good as the other. If the states were capable of operating like this, we wouldn't be having these stupid civil rights debates to this day.
You're thinking in extremes, saying States should have more power does not mean Confederacy, at all really.

It really comes down to money, the Fed is rolling in dough while some States are struggling, what Programs could a State administer if it were instead getting a large portion of the money that the Federal government was collecting from it's citizens? That's what's kind of annoying, you have the Fed taking huge chunks of people's earnings, with very little regard to what's left over for the State to take, then the State has to look at what people on average have left over and take what they need on top of it. I'm still more against this idea because having the fed do most of the work allows richer States to help the poorer States, but there's plenty of play in this formula, that's why I'd like to see the roles more clearly defined one way or another, so the two aren't constantly stepping on each others toes. Again, I'm clearly more preferential to the Federal government having more power, but I do think we could shift the balance back to the States as well and have a better system than we do now today as well.

if you learn one thing about me on Gaf, It's that I hate inconsistency, I hate that Social Security, for example, is pretty much completely federal, while Medicaid or Unemployment compensation is jointly done by the State and Federal government. I want to know who to fucking deal with and I want it to be the same cronies for everything. In either scenario it's still completely possible to have the Federal government be the ultimate administrator that's setting the standards and ensuring compliance but having it run some things and the State run others and them jointly running yet others is just silly in my opinion. But that's an anal retentive quirk of mine.

Edit: But clearly, in any mix of Federal and State run programs having the Federal government collect a little more than it needs to operate so that it can spread that money to poorer areas is ideal, I'm not debating that, at all. As if Louisiana or Arkansas even could run a UHC in it's State without help from the outside, I'm not crazy.

Edit 2: Interestingly enough though, you do know of Switzerland right? Just sayin'.

Although I still think a stronger Fed is the way to go.

Haha, got this from CNN comments:
Hypothetical conversation:

McConnell: All 41 republicans are opposed to this bill as written

Any Journalist: Obama is open to changes what do you propose?

McConnell: well we have to scrap the bill and start over

Any Journalist: Start over? this bill has been in comittee for months, why start over now?

McConnell: Well I'm trying to delay passage, that's what my Wall street cronies told me to do when Cornyn and I met with them, besides Obama can't have a victory.

Any Journalist: So do you want reform or not?

McConnell: Yes I want reform but it's going to have to wait untill Republicans are in power we can't allow anything good to happen while Obama is president!

Puddles

Banned
There's one thing I don't understand. How can a $600 trillion derivatives market exist when the GDP of the entire country is only around $14 trillion?

Puddles said:
There's one thing I don't understand. How can a $600 trillion derivatives market exist when the GDP of the entire country is only around $14 trillion?

Thats the point. Its a shadow bank where the money doesn't really exist. Its basically monopoly money that is being traded and promised. Banks are trading make believe $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom