• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosewater has made a point of saying that 5 per set is a guideline and that (as they did with M13) they can go up to 11 in a year. The way they've played this block out it would be really weird not to include a card for Tamiyo.

Tamiyo is one of the booster images, so I'll be extra upset if she doesn't get a card this set.

OnPoint

I'm no fan of Jace but he was better in SOI than he has been maybe ever as a character. He makes narrative sense here.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The magic story isn't exactly Game of Thrones so I don't get why people care all that much.

Jhriad

But force of will, possibly the most broken counter spell in magic...it was supposed to go down in price!!!

It did. Look at the price graphs here or here.

Glad I snatched one for $60.

And as evidenced by you being able to get one for $60. The supply was so small that after the initial release weekend it was inevitable that all the excess value mythics and rares with any decent demand were going to, at the very least, be hoovered up by vendors looking for supply. That combined with the lack of an injection of supply via a Grand Prix like MM1 means the set was bound to rebound relatively quickly.

People don't like Jace because people don't like Blue.

People, or at least I, don't like Jace because he's a boring character (for understandable reasons from WOTC's perspective) and he has far more printings than all the other walkers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's just fun to talk about. Doesn't have much bearing on my life outside of this thread.

I just mean like getting actually upset about Jace in particular. I obviously read the story enough to know what's going on, I just don't really feel like he's ACTUALLY in the story enough to warrant the complaint.

El Topo

I just mean like getting actually upset about Jace in particular. I obviously read the story enough to know what's going on, I just don't really feel like he's ACTUALLY in the story enough to warrant the complaint.

Pretty sure the Jace hate is just a bit of a running joke by now.

OnPoint

Partly, I think, people get sick of seeing his cards be consistently played and project that into their feelings about the story. There's almost always one standard legal Jace that sees heavy play at any given moment. Can't say the same about any other planeswalker.

The magic story isn't exactly Game of Thrones so I don't get why people care all that much.

I mean, it's not that big of a deal. It's not like anyone's boycotting Magic because of the story or Jace. It's just that if they're going to talk about it, I'm going to be honest and say that I think their reasons for why people don't like Jace are laughable.

Angry Grimace

en_uJGVW5UTRn.png

seems good on its own

en_pURGNFqt1U.png

Low opportunity cost to get this into play, so I think it will see play.

Chittering Host:

en_zAcg6EE4sc.png

Angry Grimace

New Mechanic: Emerge

en_QDAyzUCz4P.png

Escalate:

en_lnbHyejiDp.png

madness and Delirium also back

en_0Ya3y0cbuY.png

en_PQtY6WenXl.png

en_baZ8vhEsLP.png
---->
en_PM0AMYnLYl.png

Hero

Oh wow, look at that, a GIANT card made up of the backsides of two flip cards. Holy crap! What a surprise! Didn't see that coming at all. :D

Angry Grimace

GcfIWLv.png
---->
y191u8o.png

Oh wow, look at that, a GIANT card made up of the backsides of two flip cards. Holy crap! What a surprise! Didn't see that coming at all. :D

I still think this looks awkward and ugly as shit, but there's only three of them. It's going to look even dumber in sleeves.

Your counterargument to Jace not being shoved into SOI was that they created a deliberate narrative that needed one of the group there and Jace was the only option.
That's not falsifying claims but explaining why they did it.

I mean, I'm answering the question "how was Jace narratively necessary in SOI," I explain the big bunch of ways they set it up, and the response is "yeah but he's a poopy head so they shouldn't have done that." Ok?

Considering Jace had 7 renditions and 1 appearance in a set without a PW card to go alongside you're basically asking us to tell you why he shouldn't be in 6/8 stories or otherwise where he should have been.

Before Origins (which kind of resets the clock) Jace appeared in exactly two stories, Worldwake (where he blows up the Eye of Ugin) and RTR (where he's more central and becomes the Living Guildpact.) All his other pre-Origins cards are from core sets. He hasn't been in the storyline much at all until recently!

The fact that people disagree whether or not a character is being used well in fiction coming down to a difference of opinion on the subject without an objective conclusion shouldn't surprise you this much.

I haven't ever once argued about whether he's "used well." I'm specifically arguing with this factual claim. If he's overused, if he appears in storylines where he doesn't make sense, then someone can point to those things and establish it. That's what doesn't happen in this discussion because the response to Jace is an emotional reaction to the concept of the character, and the specific complaints like "he's everywhere" are backfilled to justify that reaction.

But, okay, if you really insist that hard on continuing this, please do explain to me why "Jace and Liliana knocked boots" makes Jace indispensably vital as a character and contributes more to the rich tapestry of Magic meta-narrative than just, you know, not having done that at all and doing something that wasn't dumb instead.

See, this is exactly what I was talking about earlier: you asked a factual question, I answered it, you responded with this strawman instead of just engaging the discussion. You have to argue this made-up stance where I said that Jace is amazing instead of the actual one where I said that given the narrative setup they've designed, it made sense to use Jace in a specific block. No, nothing about Jaceliana is all that incredibly compelling or whatever, but it's the storyline they set up and have worked on telling, so given that it's what makes sense to leverage when they want to involve one half of that pair with the storyline the other half is already in.

*I also find it hilarious you have to have this conversation often enough that you've begun to stereotype "Jace Haters" as a sub-classification of human beings, and yet still somehow insist he doesn't have any popularity issues.

This is just one manifestation of The Reddit Complex where you have a ton of really loud, really angry people who post on a very popular internet website but are completely unrepresentative of the actual fanbase of their particular interest. If you look at these enthusiast Magic communities you have a lot of people who think Kamigawa is awesome and whatnot because they're a very specific niche of invested players. It's obvious there are a lot of people in this crowd who have this intense knee-jerk negative reaction to Jace, it's just that it's this tiny set of people compared to all the customers who actually like the character.

I guess you don't agree with me that having a giant card split over two looks ugly.

I mean, you push them together and it literally just looks like a card.

Tamiyo is one of the booster images, so I'll be extra upset if she doesn't get a card this set.

We got booster images?

Bandini

Hanweir Garrison will have sick synergy with Champion of the Parish and Thalia's Lieutenant in my Modern Hardened Humans deck, exciting stuff

Joe Molotov

I went 4-3 at the Dallas Open this weekend playing Burn. I wasn't really expecting to make Day 2, so it was nice to at least be in the hunt that deep in the day.

DrArchon

The Hanweir combo seems like it'll see some play, if only because both parts are good enough on their own. 4 power for 3 mana isn't terrible by any stretch, and haste is always a plus when you don't have to spend a card on it. I'm glad that the land isn't legendary so I won't feel bad putting a bunch in a deck. The combo may be too slow in mono-red though, seeing as the soonest you'll get the combo off is turn 6 assuming your garrison doesn't eat it.

Double-Angel seems really cool, but only Gisela seems pushed enough to see real play in standard. Bruna is just too slow unless you're immediately getting Brisela. Though I would love to grab an Angel of Serenity in EDH.

I'm sad that we only get three Meld cards, although all three are pretty cool.

The other two new keywords are both refinements of old ones -- Escalate's a tweaked Entwine and Emerge is a much better realized Offering -- but Entwine is a good mechanic and Offering was within spitting distance of being one, so both seem pretty solid.

I'm sad that Investigate didn't come back since it's far and away the best SOI mechanic, but also not surprising given the block structure.

ultron87

It's weird to do so few meld cards, but it makes sense given that you can't have a bunch of them in Limited that almost never get to combine given the one DFC slot per pack. So that lets them limit it a ton, and push the ones that are there, since constructed is their main place to have the mechanic happen.

jph139

I really like Emerge - it's the sort of mechanic that reads very obviously, like, in a "how has this not been a major mechanic before?" But it still feels fresh.

Escalate doesn't feel as fresh, since it's pretty much just Entwine + a third choice sometimes, maybe. I'm sure it'll play fine but it's not exactly a headliner.

I'm glad they're talking about Meld in a "first appearance, with more to come" way. Man, they really need to crack the DFC printing issues, or whatever it is that's holding them back from being used more regularly. There's so much weird design space to play with!

Angry Grimace

I mean, you push them together and it literally just looks like a card.

I mean as much as a weirdly square set of two cards in thick sleeves look like a card. I don't really have a problem with the way they concocted the rules around it, I just think its going to be weird to play with on actual tables where you have limited space to play with and of course it actually doesn't add anything that couldn't be accomplished if say, Gisela's card individually flipped into Brisela and Bruna got O-Ringed until the card left play something.

Obviously WOTC disagrees, but there's something to be said about the fact there's only 3 of them.

I really like Emerge - it's the sort of mechanic that reads very obviously, like, in a "how has this not been a major mechanic before?" But it still feels fresh.

Escalate doesn't feel as fresh, since it's pretty much just Entwine + a third choice sometimes, maybe. I'm sure it'll play fine but it's not exactly a headliner.

I'm glad they're talking about Meld in a "first appearance, with more to come" way. Man, they really need to crack the DFC printing issues, or whatever it is that's holding them back from being used more regularly. There's so much weird design space to play with!

Broken with Scornful Egotist

GcfIWLv.png
---->
y191u8o.png

I still think this looks awkward and ugly as shit, but there's only three of them. It's going to look even dumber in sleeves.

Amazingly I can use neither in my Angel tribal EDH deck. How does Gisela not even have a static effect?!

I mean, I'm answering the question "how was Jace narratively necessary in SOI," I explain the big bunch of ways they set it up, and the response is "yeah but he's a poopy head so they shouldn't have done that." Ok?

But it wasn't narratively necessary to have him there, the story could have been told almost identically with Tamiyo, the only part where he was "narratively necessary" was for Liliana.
Saying he was narratively necessary because they decided they want to push the origin 5 for their brand going forward is asinine.

Before Origins (which kind of resets the clock) Jace appeared in exactly two stories, Worldwake (where he blows up the Eye of Ugin) and RTR (where he's more central and becomes the Living Guildpact.) All his other pre-Origins cards are from core sets. He hasn't been in the storyline much at all until recently!

You're leaving out that for a time they made books roughly correlating with core set releases. 1 of which was set on ravnica and alara the other is less than confirmed as canon retroactively. Same with Chandra and Gideon's even though the Author of Purifying fire came up with him.

The e books I haven't read so can't say.

Lastly this card should have defender

Nothing about it says attack, not the art and not the name.

I'm glad they're talking about Meld in a "first appearance, with more to come" way.

Much like with DFCs, this mechanic was a 100% lock to come back if it was received well (and I'd almost guarantee it's ultimately received well.)

Obviously WOTC disagrees, but there's something to be said about the fact there's only 3 of them.

That it takes a lot of space in the set and works better as a marquee spice than something you break the whole set to do a lot of?

Hero

I mean as much as a weirdly square set of two cards in thick sleeves look like a card. I don't really have a problem with the way they concocted the rules around it, I just think its going to be weird to play with on actual tables where you have limited space to play with and of course it actually doesn't add anything that couldn't be accomplished if say, Gisela's card individually flipped into Brisela and Bruna got O-Ringed until the card left play something.

Broken with Scornful Egotist

You know there's really nothing with saying you were wrong.

Lastly this card should have defender

Nothing about it says attack, not the art and not the name.

So you want a defender with an attack trigger?

But it wasn't narratively necessary to have him there, the story could have been told almost identically with Tamiyo, the only part where he was "narratively necessary" was for Liliana.
Saying he was narratively necessary because they decided they want to push the origin 5 for their brand going forward is asinine.

These characters exist to sell a brand. Having a set of characters that run through everything is straightforwardly than a bunch of unrelated storylines. "Well why instead of this thing that supports their long-term brand goals didn't they do this other thing I want because Jace is a poopyhead" is not a real argument.

You're leaving out that for a time they made books roughly correlating with core set releases. 1 of which was set on ravnica and alara the other is less than confirmed as canon retroactively.

Yes because like ten people ever read these and "well Jace is in a lot of storylines if you buy the Magic novels" is a niche within a niche within a niche complaint.

Angry Grimace

Oh, so your interpretation of how the card would turn out was right, so I have to not only tell you that you were right, but you also think I should be forced agree that the design is wonderful? Guess what? NO FUCKING SHIT I WAS WRONG; the card clearly works that way, we can all just read it. Is there some reason that needs to be said other than stroking your ego?

It's almost like someone could not like a specific mechanic and not be insulting your family honor.

Much like with DFCs, this mechanic was a 100% lock to come back if it was received well (and I'd almost guarantee it's ultimately received well.)

That it takes a lot of space in the set and works better as a marquee spice than something you break the whole set to do a lot of?

That and the fact that they don't necessarily know how it will play out.

DrArchon

Cryptolith Fragment looks like a solid mana rock for EDH.

It'll almost never flip in EDH, and it comes into play tapped. I mean, there are so many 3 mana rocks that you can choose that don't have any restrictions.

I'd be willing to put it into a W/B pinging/drain deck, but not much else.

So you want a defender with an attack trigger?

Not really I just looked at the art and name combo and immediately thught defender before scrolling down. Different art and it would have been fine.

These characters exist to sell a brand. Having a set of characters that run through everything is straightforwardly than a bunch of unrelated storylines. "Well why instead of this thing that supports their long-term brand goals didn't they do this other thing I want because Jace is a poopyhead" is not a real argument.

Yes because like ten people ever read these and "well Jace is in a lot of storylines if you buy the Magic novels" is a niche within a niche within a niche complaint.

Yes but that doesn't mean they automatically are natural inclusions everywhere they go.

Gisela seems INSANE to me.

Fragment enabling Triskadekaphobia strats? :lol

3 toughness makes her so much worse.

El Topo

When in the past has a cost-reduction mechanic ever caused problems?

I mean, it's hard to balance that stuff. Too low and the cards may run amok, too high and they're unplayable. I assume having to sacrifice a creature will keep this at bay, as it is detrimental to card advantage.
Interesting mechanic though. Hopefully good.

Hero

Oh, so your interpretation of how the card would turn out was right, so I have to not only tell you that you were right, but agree that the design is wonderful? Guess what? NO FUCKING SHIT I WAS WRONG. Is there some reason that needs to be said other than stroking your ego?

Kind of like how multiple people in this thread and the last one were flat out telling you that you were wrong despite multiple clues (zing) about it, yet you clung to "I'll believe it when I see it!!111" Like, there really is nothing wrong about being wrong but you were (still are?) pretty dense about the whole thing. I know Angry is in your user name but you should probably take a chill pill over a card board game.

Angry Grimace

Not really I just looked at the art and name combo and immediately thught defender before scrolling down. Different art and it would have been fine.

Yes but that doesn't mean they automatically are natural inclusions everywhere they go.

3 toughness makes her so much worse.

Maybe if we had Lightning Bolt or Lightning Strike.

Angry Grimace

Kind of like how multiple people in this thread and the last one were flat out telling you that you were wrong despite multiple clues (zing) about it, yet you clung to "I'll believe it when I see it!!111" Like, there really is nothing wrong about being wrong but you were (still are?) pretty dense about the whole thing. I know Angry is in your user name but you should probably take a chill pill over a card board game.

Well yeah, I said I didn't necessarily believe it was going to actually use the double-card design; that much is reasonably clear. Obviously it did turn out that way. So what's your point? Someone else was wrong on the internet and you need to make sure they know it, as often as possible? Perhaps you might consider reflecting on what point you are trying to convey here.

So we're basically doing diestodoomblade.discussion then?

It means she trades down much more than at 4, even a regularly cast fiery temper kills her at a mana advantage, Radiant flames for 3 kills her, Chandra lives through killing her, dromoka's command can trade her for a pacifist and still choose a 2nd mode, the angel from Linvala trades with her,...

Angry Grimace

It means she trades down much more than at 4, even a regularly cast fiery temper kills her, Radiant flames for 3 kills her, Chandra lives through killing her, dromoka's command can trade her for a pacifist and still choose a 2nd mode, the angel from Linvala trades with her,...

I mean, I have doubts it will see much play while Gideon and the rest of the tokens deck is still legal. There is a shitload of competition in white right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom