• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obvious, But Confirmed: Xbox One S will Upscale All Games to 4k

From Mike Ybarra (@XboxQwik) himself:

gM7qH0n.jpg

@Nugggzy: Can you confirm if xbox one s will upscale games to 4K. All product information seems to indicate this is not the case. #confused

@XboxQuik: Yes

@Nugggzy: all games or just games that support 4k upscaling?

@XboxQuik: All.

Descale this thread if old or not necessary.

geordiemp

My TV upscales all games to 4K...

So confusing....
All 4K tvs display in 4K LOL, but its not native...

xemumanic

It's probably better/faster for that system to output a 4K signal to a display than 1080p. Probably less lag due to the display not having to scale.

Kilau

So does this mean that all Xbone game cases will have 4K listed like they did for 1080p on 360 games?

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's probably better/faster for that system to output a 4K signal to a display than 1080p. Probably less lag due to the display not having to scale.
I believe with 1080p some TVs produced a cleaner image. Dependent on TV of course. Not sure on delay though.

OneUh8

I wonder if you can chose what handles the scaling? Some tv's may scale better than the xbox and vice versa. Would be nice if it had an option to pass through if your tv has a better scaler.

HUELEN10

Yeah, why try to a upscale a sub 1080p resolution. I don't how the Xbone is keeping up lately.. Is it running the latest games at 1080 or 900 still?
Because the One's internal scaler is faster. If all content is feed to the panel as 4K, the panel itself doesn't need to do any scaling.

geordiemp

There's a difference between a TV upscaling 1080p to 4k and a TV taking in a 4k signal.

No there is not. A 900p native image upscaled by Xb1 to 4K will still look like a 900p image.

A 900P image upscaled to 1080p on my Ps4 then upscaled by my Panny AX will still look like a 900p image.

My Panny AX will have just under 30 ms input lag in game mode which ever connection is used.

If you have a cheap 4K tv with a bad build-in upscaler then maybe the xb1 might be better, but the image at 900p will still look like shit which ever way you cut it.

Clean 1080p images look good on 4K tv sets with good up scalers though, so clean 1080p image is better than anything else unless you have a 8 TF GPU.

xemumanic

I believe with 1080p some TVs produced a cleaner image. Dependent on TV of course. Not sure on delay though.

Yeah, it'll depend on the display. The scaling from 1080p to 2160p is a simple 4x scale, it shouldn't be very hard anyway. Also, I find it's usually best on if a fixed-resolution display gets it's native resolution from the source device, upscaled or not.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Expected

Very intrigued to see what games support proper HDR and how much of a difference that makes. I think that's the most exciting part of the S.

"washed out"...? It's upscaling, not messing with the color balance.

At 'worst' it could be using some sort of god-awful sharpening filter (Didn't the early Xbone games have this problem?), but it's doubtful that 4k scaling would cause any washing out of colors.

If you have a 4k TV, either the system is going to be scaling it up, or your TV is. Scaling is happening regardless.

It's better to have XOne upscale before outputting to the TV because:

1) XOne 720/900p -> 1080p then TV 1080p -> 4k will most likely look worse than direct 720/900p to 4k.

2) Depending on the TV, TV's upscaler may be slower than upscaling via the GPU, thus introducing more latency.

FinKL

Besides the obvious, this is good because it moves the upscaling from the TV to the console which may reduce input lag?

Crayon

Besides the obvious, this is good because it moves the upscaling from the TV to the console which may reduce input lag?

Yeah it's good. A great thing about the 360 was that it has good scaler on board and you didn't have to leave the job up to the tv. A lot of tvs had shitty scaling at the time. I don;t know if it's any better now, but this is good news nonetheless.

Madness

Doesn't my 4K TV do that already? This is confusing.

Your television takes a 1080p signal and upscales it to 4K. This now means your television takes in a 4K signal already and doesn't do it's own legwork. It is always better for the the originator of the video signal to upscale before it outputs the signal. However here the differences will really only be minimal. I doubt those of you with flagship televisions or 4K receivers that do upscaling would notice much difference. Maybe MS can release some photos showing what it is like for Xbox One S to upscale the image as opposed to say a Samsung 4K or something.

Wtf. Here i thought the Xbox One S only did 4k video. I wasn't planning on selling my current tv, it's friggin awesome and i was not planning on getting the S neither. How big of a difference will it really be, upscaled 4K versus what we have now?

So potentially less input lag and that is it. This really has nothing to do with visual quality. What a great feature *rolls eyes*.

More intetested if they update the ui for the dashboard and utimize hdr there.

The current dashboard is alright. Nothing i would ever praise... Even in preview.

Top Bottom