• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple set to overtake Microsoft as the world most valuable tech company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
I think its a little late to the game but I could be wrong.

:lol Xbox 360 was too late. iPhone was too late. Facebook was too late. You can not be too late to a race that never ends.

VALIS

Y2Kev said:
I don't need to defend Apple but I think people are just plain happy with their products. They create wonderful devices that look good and work well.

Until you try to surpass the "retard threshold" in most of their overly simplified products and want to tear your hair out. The app store is an amazing marketplace full of wonders, junk and everything in between, for very little money. Stuff goes on sale or is outright free all the time. It's beautiful. I love it. Now try to manage more than 200 apps on your iphone, even though 80% of your storage space is still available. You can't see them all on your device now because of the page limit. Managing them in Windows iTunes is about as fun and speedy as a root canal. And if you want to go to the app store on the phone, prepare for a tedious wait as the store checks your hundreds of installed apps for available updates EVERY TIME you visit it.

Apparently you're just supposed to acquire apps for a little while and then stop entirely. Which is what I've done.

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
360 was the first one out of the current generation.

You miss the point. Microsoft was last to enter the console market. There are doing fine. Saying too late is silly.

Karma said:
You miss the point. Microsoft was last to enter the console market. There are doing fine. Saying too late is silly.

I was thinking more along the lines of generations like the console market buts it is probably not the best comparison since phone hardware and software are upgraded far more frequently.

Anemone

Neo Member
ClosingADoor said:
Good marketing can do a lot for a company, but to go from almost nothing to this, you have to have good products. And the iPod and iPhone are good products. You can't just make a good ad for a crappy product and expect it to sell.

It's a bit of a late reply, but seriously the iPod sucks. It was a great product when it first came out. Since then several other companies have over took them in terms of quality. Now it's entirely pointless. Buy an iPhone or buy a proper mp3 player. The fact that people still buy iPods is directly related to their good marketing campaign and people being too lazy to research past what everyone they know thinks is good.
They managed to turn their image around and that's what did everything for them. They offered a trendy alternative to the other competing products, and it worked because people have shown time and time again that they're willing to pay a premium for image.

PS: Someone became a millionaire off of Pet Rocks. (PPS: The person who invented that was an advertising exec.)

Pimpwerx

Wow! Apple sucks worse than MS. Say what you will, but at least MS works on an open platform. I'll never like Apple for that reason. PEACE.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
giga said:
If that’s the definition, one could say the same about Mac OS X in comparison to Windows.
But you can install Windows in whatever hardware has the specs to run it. Different from OSX.

That's why the original statement is ridiculous. Windows is no more an open platform than OSX. Apple's other main platform, iPhone OS, is closed but no moreso than Microsoft's other non-computer platforms like Xbox, Zune, etc. It's amazing how much of the Apple hate in this thread meets the very definition of prejudice, which is forming an opinion without first knowing what the fuck you're talking about.

giga

Lonely1 said:
But you can install Windows in whatever hardware has the specs to run it. Different from OSX.
Your point? It’s Apple’s business to provide a specific set of support and drivers for their Macs.

I don’t see the relation to “open platform” development for this new argument.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
That's why the original statement is ridiculous. Windows is no more an open platform than OSX. Apple's other main platform, iPhone OS, is closed but no moreso than Microsoft's other non-computer platforms like Xbox, Zune, etc. It's amazing how much of the Apple hate in this thread meets the very definition of prejudice, which is forming an opinion without first knowing what the fuck you're talking about.

But I can't install OSX on whatever hardware I can find for the best price. It has to be Apple.

Gary Whitta said:
Wal-Mart.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Jobs will probably go down in history as the most influential business leader of the late 20th century.

ummm I thought the most profitable company was Exxon-Mobile?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Lonely1 said:
But I can't install OSX on whatever hardware I can find for the best price. It has to be Apple.

Congrats, you found the one big difference between the two. That one singular difference between the two, and totally discounts every other line of products the two have, right?

Lonely1 said:

Technically, that doesn't have anything to do with an open platform (I think, but I'm not an expert). But I see your point. But having that set hardware allows Apple to make their OS better for that hardware, where Microsoft has to handle thousands of different possible setups. They are just different business models. I don't really see a problem with it. You want to install an OS on your own hardware, go with Windows or Linux. If you want OSX, get a Mac.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
Precisely the reason why it's so less stable than OSX.

Fine, if you want stability you can keep buying Apple hardware. But If a $300 netbook is what i'm aiming for, Apple is not an option.

Having more options is not a bad thing. OSX being the dominant OS ala Windows would be terrible because there wouldn't be as much and choice for consumers...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox, Zune, iPhone, OS X, Windows

all open platforms.

You could argue about how open they are if you want.

Lonely1 said:
That isn't legal, is it?

OSx86 is not "legal" but it's possible. Just don't try and start a company selling computers with it preloaded :lol

Lonely1 said:
OSX being the dominant OS ala Windows would be terrible because there wouldn't be as much and choice for consumers...
Um, okay. How is that relevant to what we're discussing? In any case I agree with you, Windows is great for people who want to build or buy cheap PCs and don't mind putting up with the bullshit and hassles that come along with it. But there will always be a smaller, lucrative market among people who are willing to pay a premium for a more seamless, trouble-free and elegant user experience. What's so wrong with that? Why do you care?

Gary Whitta said:
Precisely the reason why it's so less stable than OSX.
interestingly, I've not had any "stability" problems with Windows 7.

a true testament to Microsoft's team. the had a job a couple of orders of magnitude more difficult than Apple's team...yet MS can get solid, stable results on any of about a billion possible hardware combinations.

*salutes*

Chichikov

numble said:
What about OSX makes it not an Open Platform?
I didn't say it's not an open platform, there are degrees to openness (and it's not like I know what is the threshold that below it a system is considered "closed").
Windows is a much much much much much much much MUCH more open platform than OS X.
Much.

If you're curious about what makes windows a much more open platform, you can start here.

numble

Chichikov said:
I didn't say it's not an open platform, there are degrees to openness (and it's not like I know what is the threshold that below it a system is considered "closed").
Windows is a much much much much much much much MUCH more open platform than OS X.
Much.

If you're curious about what makes windows a much more open platform, you can start here.
This does not say anything about why Windows is "much more open" compared to OS X, just that it's open.

Gallbaro

Banned
What does OSX, a shitty operating system if I have ever seen one,
Typing on it right now, even though 99% of the time this macbook is on windows since it is an infinitely more productive product.
have to do with the simple fact that Apple's current market capitalization is clearly a product of an inefficient marketplace that is far from its intrinsic value.

Kind of like Book of Eli.

Gallbaro said:
What does OSX, a shitty operating system if I have ever seen one,
Typing on it right now, even though 99% of the time this macbook is on windows since it is an infinitely more productive product.
have to do with the simple fact that Apple's current market capitalization is clearly a product of an inefficient marketplace that is far from its intrinsic value.

Kind of like Book of Eli.
Aw man, you went and did it. That's my ONE rule. +1 to my ignore list, byeeee!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
Um, okay. How is that relevant to what we're discussing? In any case I agree with you, Windows is great for people who want to build or buy cheap PCs and don't mind putting up with the bullshit and hassles that come along with it. But there will always be a market for people who are willing to pay a premium for a more seamless, trouble-free and elegant user experience. What's so wrong with that? Why do you care?
Just saying why Windows is more open than OSX. Oh, and I personally would like more hardware options for OSX.

DogWelder

Gary Whitta said:
Um, okay. How is that relevant to what we're discussing? In any case I agree with you, Windows is great for people who want to build or buy cheap PCs and don't mind putting up with the bullshit and hassles that come along with it. But there will always be a smaller, lucrative market among people who are willing to pay a premium for a more seamless, trouble-free and elegant user experience. What's so wrong with that? Why do you care?
Bullshit and hassles, such as...?

Chichikov

numble said:
This does not say anything about why Windows is "much more open" compared to OS X, just that it's open.
So you didn't read the link.
But I understand that reading can be hard, and I'm here to help, so let's go -

A platform is open when its interfaces are open, free and documented.
Most of Windows protocols are documented, open and free to use; MS even promised to never make patent claims against people for implementing those interfaces.

OS X on the other hand...

numble

Chichikov said:

Most of Windows protocols are documented, open and free to use; MS even promised to never make patent claims against people for implementing those interfaces.

Yes, all I want to know is how OS X is closed. But you keep having me look at Windows. I don't care if Windows is open, I've never questioned it.

giga

Chichikov said:

It’d be nice if you could provide specifics, because I can’t think of any OS X protocols or frameworks that haven’t been documented.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
esc said:
Bullshit and hassles, such as...?
My Windows 7 instalation is silk smooth, but then I see my friend's desktop. Full of crapware. I actually said that he should consider an Apple, but even the cheapest model was more than what he was willing to spend. Specially since he "already had a perfeclty fine LCD monitor".

numble

A: Windows is more open than OS X.
B: How is OS X more closed?
A: Here is some information on how open Windows is.
B: How is OS X more closed?
A: Here is some more information on how open Windows is.

I'm not a developer, so I don't know, and I'm simply asking for information on how OS X is more closed. You just keep pointing me to information about how open Windows is, which doesn't answer the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom