• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

bobs99 ... said:
One interesting thing I noticed in the other videos was the fact that the Hog gunner had a 'ammo indicator' so he could see when he was about to overheat. It would be awesome if the driver could see this aswell so could drive around the map in tune to when the gunner can shoot.
In the Waypoint video you can actually hear and see the gun overheating from the drivers perspective.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
HallwayGiant said:
In the Waypoint video you can actually hear and see the gun overheating from the drivers perspective.
Yeah, so if you're the driver and you pay attention, you'll know.

Gui_PT said:
Whenever the spartans lose an objective.. Is.. is that the Colonel from MGS talking?

http://i39.tinypic.com/fndydy.jpg

"Extract the core!??"

"Metal Gear!??"

"MASTER CHIEEEEEF!???"

:lol

I wonder how this military announcer dude will fit into the campaign, im guessing they didnt use the normal multiplayer announcer for a reason. Hmm.

Thanks for the hog responses, I guess the visual feedback will be enough then! It was nice seeing your teammates health in Halo 1 though so coulda been a nice throwback to the Halo 1 UI :p

Sean P.

ZrzgC.png

Spartan Laser :]

GhaleonEB

Warthog has been buffed; it survived two plasma sticks. In Halo 3, it can survive one, but a follow-up will take it down.

I'm digging the music cues, and how they reflect each perspective upon unlocking an objective: triumphant for the Elites (from a different vid) and urgent for the Spartans.

Dax01 said:
The players in the hog don't take any damage either.
It's been established that there has been a separation between vehicle and player damage.

Cerrius said:
Armor Lock seems like a disaster waiting to happen. It looks really annoying in the gameplay videos.

Very interested to get my hands on the beta and see how it all flows together.

You think? Why so?

Doesn't seem overpowered, if anything it has the potential to really expose people who use it incorrectly.

Looks like fun to me.

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
Warthog has been buffed; it survived two plasma sticks. In Halo 3, it can survive one, but a follow-up will take it down.

I'm digging the music cues, and how they reflect each perspective upon unlocking an objective: triumphant for the Elites (from a different vid) and urgent for the Spartans.
I noticed that. That was a major :( for me...

That one sticky hardly even made the hog budge. I thought Urk mentioned in one of the updates that grenades were now more powerful and almost like a power weapon. =/

Sean P. said:
ZrzgC.png

Spartan Laser :]

By the way, idk if anyone else picked up on this, but in the Halo: Waypoint footage the Spartan Laser went from 100 ammo to 75 in one shot. I know Bungie said it was unchanged but going from 5 shots to 4 shots seems like a pretty decent change to me.

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
"Extract the core!??"

"Metal Gear!??"

"MASTER CHIEEEEEF!???"

:lol

I wonder how this military announcer dude will fit into the campaign, im guessing they didnt use the normal multiplayer announcer for a reason. Hmm.

Thanks for the hog responses, I guess the visual feedback will be enough then! It was nice seeing your teammates health in Halo 1 though so coulda been a nice throwback to the Halo 1 UI :p

Well there's no more Cortana. We need someone to tell us what to do during the Campaign.

I can imagine it now: "Noble six? Noooooobleeee sssiiiiiiiiiiiiixxxxx!!!" ---> Fission Mailed :lol

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
darkressurection said:
Is that Invasion match in HD? I am on my iPad right now so I don't know if it is just an issue with YouTube still encoding the iPad version.
It's viewable in 720p.

Ten-Song

Gui_PT said:
Well there's no more Cortana. We need someone to tell us what to do during the Campaign.

I can imagine it now: "Noble six? Noooooobleeee sssiiiiiiiiiiiiixxxxx!!!" ---> Fission Mailed :lol

"Attention Noble team. I need scissors!"

Voltron64

2 Minutes Turkish said:
You think? Why so?

Doesn't seem overpowered, if anything it has the potential to really expose people who use it incorrectly.

Looks like fun to me.
Being one shot away from killing someone then he activates armor lock. Right there that alone would piss me off. Now while you're waiting there for him to come out of that lock his buddies start a fight with you and finish you off and he walks away laughing. That doesn't seem like fun to me. We'll see.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Trasher said:
I just watched it in 720p. Looks pretty decent.
Yep, still suffers from the usual Youtube compression but it's clear enough.

The player seem quite familiar with the flow of the game, the camping seemed a bit mean. :lol

Portugeezer

Voltron64 said:
Being one shot away from killing someone then he activates armor lock. Right there that alone would piss me off. Now while you're waiting there for him to come out of that lock his buddies start a fight with you and finish you off and he walks away laughing. That doesn't seem like fun to me. We'll see.
Put yourself in the shoes of the guy using armor lock. Yep, sounds like fun to me.

Just new tactics.

Loam

So has 'night vision' been talked about beyond "Its not in the beta"? I'm kind of hoping in the end I'll be able to pull up that slick hud from ODST. Always thought that was done really well.

Also only being able to play as the elites in certain game-types makes me sad.

Voltron64 said:

After you get me down to one shot away and I bust out the armor lock, and right after my buddies start a fight and finish you off, I'm gonna come out of armor lock and teabag your ass :lol

Sounds like fun to me!

Voltron64 said:
I guess at that point, the only option when your opponent armor locks is to bail the fuck out.

Gui_PT

Ten-Song said:
"Attention Noble team. I need scissors!"

"Turn the game console off right now"

"Honestly now, you've been playing the game for a long time"

I'm calling it. Colonel is Reache's Cortana

darkressurection said:
I guess at that point, the only option when your opponent armor locks is to bail the fuck out.

Pretty much. Same thing in Halo 3: You're fighting a guy, he's almost dead, he whips out the Regen, you get the fuck out of dodge! You can't win that fight so move on to the next guy til that regen is no more.

Matty McDee

Neo Member
I'm glad they got Smith to play. Although I would of much rather see him use the Sword more and maybe the DMR too.

Sooo many chances he could of had great Multikills.

I would like to see a Face off between Tung and Smith and a few of really competitive players at Bungie.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
2 Minutes Turkish said:
You think? Why so?

Looks like fun to me.

I think my concern is that Armor Lock will end up being Reach's "martyrdom". It doesn't really add anything to the game, it just makes it more annoying and random.

We'll see. Like I said before, I'm really anxious to try out the beta and see how everything flows together.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Right, going to throw this out early.

Anyone wanting to hook up with other GAFers during the Beta, use this Gamertag. Via the Friends of Friends and Active Roaster, come Beta time you shouldn't have a problem finding folks to hook up and frag with.

Add GT: HALOGAFBETA

(that's all caps!)

Thought it might be a good idea to start filling it up early. If or when it reaches the max friend limit, we'll have another ready.

Feel free to use it. =)

EazyB

Banned
Kibbles said:
I think that was the Juggernaut on fire.
Oh, that makes perfect sense. I was like, good god, what an attention whore :p

GhaleonEB said:
Almost certain it only took 2 nades. That elite managed to miss 2 CQC sticks in a row.

GhaleonEB said:
It's been established that there has been a separation between vehicle and player damage.
That change in itself doesn't concern me much, it's just the lack of a CE-esque vehicle health bar that bothers me. I hope the visual and audio ques are really good. Kinda wish the occupants of the vehicles health dropped when you PP EMPed the vehicle so you could cleanly remove them without destroying the vehicles and then take it for yourself.

Thanks for the clean footage Cocoa P. The audio in these sorts of videos has me pumped to throw on my surround sound headset and soak it all in. 2 to 3 had a huge jump in audio that actually really helped in combat and situational awareness, want to see what Reach does for me.

Another thing I noticed in this Invasion video is that the rockets didn't lock onto the ghost. If can only lock-on to air vechicles that'd be perfect.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Dani said:

Anyone wanting to hook up with other GAFers during the Beta, use this Gamertag. Via the Friends of Friends and Active Roaster, come Beta time you shouldn't have a problem finding folks to hook up and frag with.

(that's all caps!)

Thought it might be a good idea to start filling it up early. If or when it reaches the max friend limit, we'll have another ready.

Feel free to use it. =)

FR sent. :D

Kapura

Banned
Dani said:

(that's all caps!)

Feel free to use it. =)
Added.

Voltron64 said:

Just remember, you're in a very vulnerable position when you come out of armor lock...if someone times a grenade right, you're screwed.

And I added halogafbeta as well...GT: EsotericDaemon

Top Bottom