• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

Dabanton

This is the disconnect. You have people who have the game right now saying it looks good and then you have people who haven't played it who seem to have convinced themselves from still pics and videos watched on the internet that the game is a blurry mess.

Who to believe?

eso76

Last gen, when people didn't bother counting pixels we had games like Wreckless and Riddick, which were regarded as 2 of the most impressive games around and which run at a lower than standard res . No one really cared about that, very few could even tell.

Resolution is just another factor in resource shifting, not different from using lower res textures or low poly objects, but you don't see people making a huge deal on those, and that's simply because those cannot be put in numbers everyone understands.

At 720p Remedy would have had to sacrifice something else (texture res, pp, whatever) and the game wouldn't have looked this impressive under other aspects or been smooth enough.
Rendering at 540p helped freeing resources that were used for something else and while i agree that upscaling affects the entire IQ the difference is not that huge that the game suddenly looks like shit because of it.

Having said that, i would have preferred something like RE4's fake 16:9 mode (but in 21:9 here) to reduce the number of pixels being drawn each frame with little or no upscaling.

Dabanton said:
This is the disconnect. You have people who have the game right now saying it looks good and then you have people who haven't played it who seem to have convinced themselves from still pics and videos watched on the internet that the game is a blurry mess.

Who to believe?

From the last page:

deathberry said:
Just played the game for the first time at a preview event.

- Textures look nice from afar cos there's a lot of fog and blurry edges, etc. but up close things are FUGLY

schennmu said:
From the last page:

Congratulations, you've found one person who claims textures look bad among a bunch of people who've played the game, yet made no such claims. Of course, we shouldn't be paying attention to them - instead, we should only be concentrating on negative impressions.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Congratulations, you've found one person who claims textures look bad among a bunch of people who've played the game, yet made no such claims. Of course, we shouldn't be paying attention to them - instead, we should only be concentrating on negative impressions.

Deathberry describes the effect of a sub hd resolution, so it seems believable to me. Does this mean the overall game will look bad? Of course not.

I'm one of those that hopes it doesn't end up like RE4. Looks like it could be a good survival horror game so far, I really don't want it to turn into an action game with no scares like RE4.

Apath

rainking187 said:
I'm one of those that hopes it doesn't end up like RE4. Looks like it could be a good survival horror game so far, I really don't want it to turn into an action game with no scares like RE4.
RE4 had scares. They were just few and far between: Chainsaw Man, Regenerators, that guy's "Right Hand", and uh... maybe those dogs in the maze.

pmj

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
You could also pay attention to both positive and negative impressions, or even neither, both of which make far more sense than choosing a side.

Or, even better, you could watch the available media and make up your own mind. We don't have to listen to a journalist's impressions when we have both videos and screenshots.

Kenak said:
RE4 had scares. They were just few and far between: Chainsaw Man, Regenerators, that guy's "Right Hand", and uh... maybe those dogs in the maze.

Eh, the only part of the game that scared me was oven man, and even then I was more surprised then scared.

Apath

rainking187 said:
Eh, the only part of the game that scared me was oven man, and even then I was more surprised then scared.
Yeah. But come on, you really weren't scared the first time you were held up in the village, turned around to check the stair case, only to be met with chain saw man and your face on the floor?

The regenerater's breathing didn't creep you out?

When that one boss popped in from the ceiling the first time?

schennmu said:
Deathberry describes the effect of a sub hd resolution, so it seems believable to me. Does this mean the overall game will look bad? Of course not.

Deathberry's words fall in line with your expectations. Others' impressions, includig BlimBlim's, go against your expectations. It's no surprise you choose to believe Deathberry, really, but that doesn't mean everyone else should just close their eyes to all the good things others have said about the game's visuals.

Thankfully, reviews should start hitting tomorrow so maybe all this lunacy will finally come to an end, one way or the other. I doubt it, but a man can dream.

pmj said:
Or, even better, you could watch the available media and make up your own mind. We don't have to listen to a journalist's impressions when we have both videos and screenshots.

No, you're wrong about that, we have to listen to pixel counters.

pmj

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Thankfully, reviews should start hitting tomorrow so maybe all this lunacy will finally come to an end, one way or the other. I doubt it, but a man can dream.
Reviews will solve nothing. Reviewers have been notoriously bad at pointing out even severe flaws in graphics such as half of the frames torn or huge drops in framerate, or fail to notice how either the 360 or PS3 version looks obviously better than the other version, or even come to the conclusion that the inferior version looks better, like happened with GTA4.

The only way we'll know for sure that the game is up to our personal standards is by studying honest media from the game, or better yet by playing the game ourselves.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
No, you're wrong about that, we have to listen to pixel counters.
Resolution is a fact, but the importance we place on it is opinion. This is a thread for posting about such things. So people do.

pmj said:
Reviews will solve nothing. Reviewers have been notoriously bad at pointing out even severe flaws in graphics such as half of the frames torn or huge drops in framerate, or fail to notice how either the 360 or PS3 version looks obviously better than the other version, or even come to the conclusion that the inferior version looks better, like happened with GTA4.

The same can be said for people on this forum and gamers in general. Like Amir0x said, those things can be quite subjective.

However, with reviews we should also be getting DF's full analysis.

The only way we'll know for sure that the game is up to our personal standards is by studying honest media from the game, or better yet by playing the game ourselves.

That I fully agree with.

Resolution is a fact, but the importance we place on it is opinion. This is a thread for posting about such things. So people do.

There's a difference between discussing and spreading FUD and misinformation, deliberately or not. And like you just suggested yourself, there can not be any reasonable discussion about this matter until the game is in our hands. But reason is obviously not welcome in this thread.

Dabanton

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

No the reviews start the next stage. The metacritic and gameranking boys come out to play
and instead of resolution we'll begin to discuss percentages marks. :lol

bj00rn_

Banned
pmj said:

I double-dipped on both PS3 and 360 versions of GTAIV. But in the end after extensive play with both versions it didn't make any difference for the experience overall. 360 version looked a little cleaner, oh my god, big fucking deal.. And anyway with AW there simply isn't another version, so keeping on harping on that shit makes even less sense.

pmj

bj00rn_ said:
I double-dipped on both PS3 and 360 versions of GTAIV. But in the end after extensive play with both versions it didn't make any difference for the experience overall. 360 version looked a little cleaner, oh my god, big fucking deal.. And anyway with AW there simply isn't another version, so keeping on harping on that shit makes even less sense.
I'm glad I have you to tell me that this doesn't matter to me as much as I think it matters to me. Obviously your opinion is what is true for everyone.

ghostmind

This thread is a shining example of the worst of this generation. Why this bullshit has been allowed to continue, rather than going the route of the Epic Mickey thread, is beyond me.

Zweisy1

God, this thread is painful to read.. Just when it was getting interesting it deteriorates back into pages upon pages of resolution wars..
surely this has been discussed to death already?

Oh well, at least with reviews coming tomorrow there will be more to talk about. I expect good things.

deathberry

Neo Member
It's a sad state of affairs that people are scrutinising every little detail of an upcoming game. That instead of being happy that a game is finally shipping after years in development, everyone is unsatisfied with the game not living up to their lofty expectations of perfection in every aspect.

Fuck this pixel counting shit and places like Digital Foundry who's sole purpose is to add fuel to fanboy wars on which console is better, or revealing sub-HD resolutions for games that look and run beautiful (Halo 3, MW 1&2, etc).

Alan Wake is a brilliant looking game whose lighting mechanics have yet to be surpassed by any other title this generation. The fact that it has ugly textures up close doesn't mean that your experience in enjoying the game will diminish in anyway. If it does, you should not be playing consoles. Spend $500 every year and make Nvidia/ ATI happy until your eyes bleed.

And it's interesting to see that the overwhelming majority of people here picked on my negative point of the game looking like RE4, yet didn't bother to understand my reasoning behind that statement. Sensationalist headlines often used by tabloid websites are for people such as yourselves who thrive on stirring up controversy and flaming a needless war.

Enjoy the fucking games people, don't hate on every little thing cos you can't have it/ not your cup of tea.

/rant.

OMG NOT ENOUGH P'S MY EYES I CAN"T SEE WITH OUT THOSE P'S

max_payne_face.jpg

NIN90

If only the game could have been developed for a platform that has the power to display the game in HD resolution..

deathberry said:
And it's interesting to see that the overwhelming majority of people here picked on my negative point of the game looking like RE4, yet didn't bother to understand my reasoning behind that statement. Sensationalist headlines often used by tabloid websites are for people such as yourselves who thrive on stirring up controversy and flaming a needless war.

To tell you the truth, I would be very disappointed if Alan Wake ended up being too much like RE4. Not because it's all been done already, but for the reasons I outlined in another thread. However, Max Payne games were already so far ahead of RE4 in those aspects (controls and shooting are my primary concerns) that I just can't see Alan Wake regressing back to RE4's levels.

By the way, I'm not sure I fully understand your RE4 complaint. Isn't the theme of normal townsfolk becoming infected or possessed common to pretty much all zombie games and movies? At least the dark presence in Alan Wake possesses not only people and animals, but also trees, machines and other inanimate objects.

Is all this HD-whining going to be allowed in the official thread? Because I'd love to read more about this game - you know, opinions and stuff - but this thread is just insufferable with moaning.

I really, really can't wait to play this game. I've played Max Payne 1 and 2 so many times over because I love the way Remedy tells a story. That and they nailed the gameplay in those games. I also can't wait to hear the music, as Max Payne (especially 2) had some outstanding stuff, including Poets of the Fall, that I still listen to to this day.

Do we know if the radio/TV stuff will be serious or will it be similar to how Remedy used Dick Justice and the like in Max Payne 2?

Dick Justice: The rain was coming down like all the angels in Heaven had decided to take a piss at the same time. When you're in a situation like mine, you can only think in metaphors.

GCX

NIN90 said:
If only the game could have been developed for a platform that has the power to display the game in HD resolution..
Without Microsoft we probably wouldn't have seen AW in finished form at all since not many publishers have the patience to finance 6 years of development hell.

So yeah, 360 version or no version at all.

NIN90

GCX said:
Without Microsoft we probably wouldn't have seen AW in finished form at all since not many publishers have the patience to finance 6 years of development hell.

Agreed, that's why they demoed DX10 with Alan Wake footage.

sinny

Banned
GCX said:

It was a 6 year development hell because of MS....

derFeef

GCX said:

Why development hell? Remedy was not satisfied with the product so they started almost from scratch. And yeah, Microsoft was very patient with them because they had faith in the product I think.

sinny said:
I dont even know where to start. But please, elaborate this.

Vizionblind

Neo Member
IGN Hilary Goldstein posted this via his twitter

""hilarygoldstein: Just finished Alan Wake @remedyalerts. It's great when story and gameplay work as one -- Congrats!"

deathberry said:
Just played the game for the first time at a preview event.

Early impressions:

+ Very atmospheric
+ Combat looked complicated in trailers but is very fun and simple (LT for flashlight + RT for shooting)
+ I played the first 30+ mins of the game, and it already felt like a mindfuck in terms of pacing the story (is it a dream? did that just happen?! etc.)
+ Cutscenes triggered quite often (this is a narrative experience after all)

- Textures look nice from afar cos there's a lot of fog and blurry edges, etc. but up close things are FUGLY
- Feels like a slow burner (but I can very well see non-gamers interested in it because of setting)
- Was getting a lot of Resident Evil 4 vibes (nice looking "normal" town with freaky shit going on in the background...infected townsfolk?)

I didn't play with bigger/ better weapons as this was only the beginning and I didn't go any further either as I didn't want to spoil my experience for when I get the full game. However, as it stands, the game looks very interesting, and the shooting mechanics feel tight. Also, lightning-time!

Hype overload. :D :D

I'd be very disappointed if the game plays out like RE4, as good as it was...I'm hoping this is an all new experience and manages to out gameplay RE4 and out-atmosphere SH.

:D

No mention of sound, mayne? How was it?

sinny said:

I thought it was in "development hell" because they decided to scale back the open world/sand box environment and go the more linear route?

Much like the reason behind the delay for Conviction.

Unless you have some amazing insider knowledge that no-one else knows. I'm all ears if you do.

Clay Davis said:
I thought it was in "development hell" because they decided to scale back the open world/sand box environment and go the more linear route?

The story also changed quite drastically from what it used to be in the beginning. But please, people, why do you have to fall for such obvious provocations? If mods won't do anything about the trolls, just try to ignore them.

Peff

It wasn't even development hell, just a change of direction, and since Remedy is a small studio, in order to pull off a quality product they have to take their time. Max Payne was also in development for five years, but it was oh so worth it.

deathberry

Neo Member
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
By the way, I'm not sure I fully understand your RE4 complaint. Isn't the theme of normal townsfolk becoming infected or possessed common to pretty much all zombie games and movies? At least the dark presence in Alan Wake possesses not only people and animals, but also trees, machines and other inanimate objects.

I guess you're right. 6 years was a long time to come up with something less cliché though. Still, as I said earlier, it's no big deal as it doesn't detract from the overall experience of the game :)

Clay Davis said:
No mention of sound, mayne? How was it?

When going in lighting-time, the sounds slows down as you'd expect, with excessive noise from flares or bullets hitting...the possessed people. Apart from that voice acting was great; feelings of fear, confusion and anger were very well portrayed.

Don't ask me about surround sound though, as we were playing it on a HDTV.

2real4tv

From the vids and the pics I always thought the texture weren't the greatest...I think the lighting, geometry and effects look pretty good though.

Top Bottom