• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Right now things are screwy (me being Onyx is proof), but normally I'm assuming you need an high rating plus a high trueskill level (hidden), and you probably have to play a huge amount of games each season to be able to keep up.

So wait...I thought once you got your division you stayed there. Do I have to fight to keep in Onyx?

cjelly said:
Same here, are you using Chrome?

I'm using Chrome on Ubuntu and figured it was some sort of compatibility error, which doesn't make sense as it's just Flash.
Chrome here and it works, sometimes the video takes 10 or so seconds to appear or load up which I think is just bandwidth stuff from bungie.net kicking in.

Genesis Knight said:
So wait...I thought once you got your division you stayed there. Do I have to fight to keep in Onyx?
Changes per month or something, of course it needs to be fought over otherwise the system is totally broken imo.

*hops on the bandwaggon*

BladedExpert.png

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Genesis Knight said:

i think its determined by percent of players... so even if you earn onyx and dont play any more during the season, you may be bumped out of it if more players earn onyx.

random b.net stat question... how does the k/d ratio per weapon work?

GhaleonEB said:
Random suggestion: instead of starting with two frags, start with one frag and one plasma. Then eliminate any grenade pick-ups on the map; additional ones would be picked up from fallen players.

I dislike that idea, it would give the people who die a lot and spawn an advantage, plus sometimes its not possible to get to your opponents dead body or they may have used theyre nades already, nades add a whole tactical range of options and I think they should be on the map. I think they just need to be toned down, they should behave more like Halo 3 nades which can kill a opponent which you have already weakened or which can be used to put an enemy to 1 shot.

op_ivy said:
i think its determined by percent of players... so even if you earn onyx and dont play any more during the season, you may be bumped out of it if more players earn onyx.

random b.net stat question... how does the k/d ratio per weapon work?

The amount of kills you get with the weapon - The amount of times you die from that weapon.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Feindflug said:
Hey guys anyone have the quote that urk said that the weapon ghosting is already/gonna be fixed?

Thanks in advance. :)

Ghosting is already fixed for retail.

Mr.Green

GhaleonEB said:
Random suggestion: instead of starting with two frags, start with one frag and one plasma. Then eliminate any grenade pick-ups on the map; additional ones would be picked up from fallen players.

I'd rather have less grenades and guns deal more damage myself but I'm a terrible player compared to pretty much anyone here.

I think it's awesome that you hardcore Halo fans have a game tailored to you, but I wish there would be a "noob" or "lame" playlist with settings that would make it a little easier for old farts like myself. I held my own with a positive KD in the first two days but last night was just brutal to the point where it's not even fun. I feel I just don't have the time or patience to get to a level where I can have fun and not be a nuisance to my team.

It sucks because besides the "getting humiliated constantly" part, Halo's multiplayer gameplay is unparalleled.

Lifelong CoD player here - so simply having a positive K/D is enough for me! :lol

DivisionByZorro.png

And it clearly is counting my W/L across both Grab Bag and Free for All. I have a 1.0 W/L in Grab Bag, and 0 W/L in FFA :lol

That said, looking at everybody else's stats makes me realize that I still don't have the hang of this game. I'm clearly playing too conservatively. And it doesn't help that my aim sucks in this game! I can't headshot for shit.

Still having a lot of fun with it though. I'll never be competitive (I'm definitely steering clear of the Arena), but it's great fun with my buddies

Wiggum2007

GhaleonEB said:

I like the one frag/one plasma start idea, but I wonder if rather than eliminating grenade pick-ups and having additional ones picked up from fallen players, perhaps keep grenades on certain areas of the map, but don't have players drop grenades upon death?

Trickster

bobs99 ... said:
The amount of kills you get with the weapon - The amount of times you die from that weapon.

You mean how many kills you get with it, and how many times an enemy with the weapon kills you right? Because that's the only way it makes any sense with my stats

Doodis

Cornballer said:
I played my first three Arena matches last night and went 1512, 1487, and 1041. Everyone on my team quit in the last one, so it was 1v4 until I bailed out. I think it's going to be Brotherhood of Steel for me. :lol

You might be surprised. I consider myself to be a pretty terrible player compared to the rest of the Halo collective here, and I still managed to eek out a gold.

4.png

feel

urk said:
Ghosting is already fixed for retail.
Nice. Do a list of these fixes (the ones you're allowed to talk about), and just blast us with them in an update. Pretty please? After the beta wraps up would perhaps be the most appropriate time though.

Devin Olsen said:
It just feels right, you know?

61hR8.png

Also holy shit, Raining Tea showed me this, saw it posted on SA

HfIYR.jpg

bcFfZ.jpg
Nice and better shots but this stuff was found a few days back, not that it matters but it ticks me a bit when people never realise it's already been seen (the SA poster)

Custom spartan stuff is going to be great if Bungie get it all in like this, body type, arm looks, shoulder pads, helmets with pieces, who knows what else!

To add there is more helms new and old hidden away in the beta also.

dm8rgw.png

t4ng0

t4ng0.png

what it do what it do

Just starting to get comfortable with the DMR - I also hope that Arena ratings become more about playing well to win, than playing conservatively to get a good spread. Already had a couple people play that way, and sometimes its a hindrance when you get a teammate that goes 9-3, but doesn't help with important clashes.

Trickster said:
You mean how many kills you get with it, and how many times an enemy with the weapon kills you right? Because that's the only way it makes any sense with my stats

Yeah, sorry if my wording was a bit naff :lol

Magni

charsace said:
Maybe he doesn't know the maps well yet?

He was on the sword, and judging from his profile he wasn't new to FPSes or Halo. He'd already played a couple games of Arena before. He was just high or stupid or both. You don't need to know the map to pick up the Energy Sword when you are standing on it!

Anyways, I said I was in rage mode ;-)

Oozer3993

I pulled a Gold. And that was playing just barely more than the minimum, with awful teammates to boot. I'll take it. Monday was the only day I actually had time to put into it and I pulled a 1650 or thereabouts. I'm hoping to pull the mythical jump up a Division, though I'm not holding my breath.

OH MAN that custom Spartan stuff looks great. I'd be REALLY happy if even when on Red vs. Blue, we could still look unique with colored "accessories" but team color base. And that Robotic Arm = AWWWW YEAH

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How do you guys keep your k/d positive? My Halo 3 k/d (in social which I played most) was around +2000. :lol

In Reach, I seem to do OK and have a lot of positive games, but a lot of negative games. I am thinking objective has a lot to do with it, king of the hill is terrible for going negative. :lol

I guess that would explain why my k/d is positive in Arena.

t4ng0 said:
Just starting to get comfortable with the DMR - I also hope that Arena ratings become more about playing well to win, than playing conservatively to get a good spread. Already had a couple people play that way, and sometimes its a hindrance when you get a teammate that goes 9-3, but doesn't help with important clashes.
What those players don't realize is that it's better to go 19-18 than to go 9-3.

FFChris

Genesis Knight said:
Basically a lot of people are Onyx because a very small percentage have actually gotten ranked.

Surely if it is top percentage based, it shouldn't matter whether 4 or 40,000 people play, the same portion of medals are given out? Does it not work that way?

No offence to anyone here but the Onyx medals seem to be fair more common than I had hoped. I will reserve judement but I think the system still needs to kick in. After all, isn't there a chance to get demoted?

The key question here is does your league rank show up in-game or just on the website? will be rather dull if you can't see it when in matchmaking.

just happen to put the controller down for second while at the Reach main menu, whoa, the initial theme that played (the one with the horns, trumpet, etc.) sounds amazing. Reminds me Star Wars...yep.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
op_ivy said:

Percent of players that achieve a division rating, to be more specific.

t4ng0

Shake Appeal said:
What those players don't realize is that it's better to go 19-18 than to go 9-3.
I know - great to hear some people bitching about their spread being better when they only have 2 assists. Arena does make each game feel important though.

Mo0

t4ng0 said:
I know - great to hear some people bitching about their spread being better when they only have 2 assists. Arena does make each game feel important though.
They feel important (and they've drastically improved my k/d, I feel like I'm paying more attention) but they don't wreck you if you get outmatched or just have a crap game. Which is awesome.

Also yeah, I like how making assists important is shooting down the dreams of campers everywhere. You got 9 kills by sniping people I was shooting, *and* I got another 8 kills! Guess who's got the higher rating? :D

feel

In before awesome Cuban Legend post. Good stuff that it is confirmed for ship, it would be a step back from Halo 3 if that wasn't there.

Top Bottom