• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedick

Apologies, I'm sure the answer is in this thread, I only ask because it's 65 pages. Why is the user score so low on metacritic? Do people genuinely not like it? Or are people giving it low scores without playing it (like what will undoubtedly happen to Metroid: Federation Force)?

I hate to say it, but this game is growing thin. I'm nowhere near getting to the center, but I feel like I saw everything the game has to offer in the first few hours. I tried watching a few streams of people who were well into the game and it's still the same. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the survival part where you're mining for materials to keep you alive and exploring, but everything else is just so repetitive and shallow =(

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Apologies, I'm sure the answer is in this thread, I only ask because it's 65 pages. Why is the user score so low on metacritic? Do people genuinely not like it? Or are people giving it low scores without playing it (like what will undoubtedly happen to Metroid: Federation Force)?

They are like YouTube comments. That should tell you all you need to know.

Fucking children, throwing tantrums because of a review...

200w.gif

Aaron D.

Console warriors would be my guess.

Game isn't coming to Xbox, right?

Maybe he's referencing the J. Sterling website DDOS attack?

Bold One

All the people coming out of the woodwork to slam this game, amazing.

Still on my starting planet, trying figure out what any if all these crafting components are actually useful.

Still on my starting planet, trying figure out what any if all these crafting components are actually useful.
Coming out of the woodwork? They've been sitting on the trees waiting for this day since day one

That said it was always going to be divisive. Definitely not a game everyone will like. Niche even

PBY

Banned
I hate to say it, but this game is growing thin. I'm nowhere near getting to the center, but I feel like I saw everything the game has to offer in the first few hours. I tried watching a few streams of people who were well into the game and it's still the same. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the survival part where you're mining for materials to keep you alive and exploring, but everything else is just so repetitive and shallow =(
I started feeling the same way.

Think it helps to just start rushing to the center. Really think that, unless shit switches up, this is a perfect 12 hour game.

finalflame

People discuss critical reception of game in thread about critical reception of game, more at 11.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He's most likely referring to sterling's site getting attacked.

I thought the .gif was perfect due to The Martian backdrop, lol.

And there is no proof those are related, very strong possibility, but it isn't like Sterling doesn't ruffle feathers to at least one demographic every other day.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well at least the PC version is $50~ USD. Also, I wonder if this game is going to support modding- it could go a long way to addressing a lot of concerns with the title.

This is what I'm banking on and, outside of performance, it's a big reason why I'm waiting for the PC version rather than getting the PS4 version.

I started feeling the same way.

Think it helps to just start rushing to the center. Really think that, unless shit switches up, this is a perfect 12 hour game.

Yeah, I think you're right. Spending too much time exploring makes the flaws more apparent. Maybe this game would have been better if it was narrowed to a single solar system and you were a stranded astronaut struggling to make it back home. Would have provided a more focused experience

Aaron D.

This is what I'm banking on and, outside of performance, it's a big reason why I'm waiting for the PC version rather than getting the PS4 version.

Yeah, I said this pages ago, but if the PC version has Workshop support then you could easily fix a lot of the complaints being leveled against the game at this point.

Just off the top of my head:

- Expand Inventory size.
- Lower AI Police Bot aggressiveness level.
- Lower Survival meter depletion (ship fuel, hazard suit maintenance, etc.)

Simple QoL changes like this and more on PC could push what is looking like a 6 or 7 game up to at least an 8 or so.

Karak

Even though I rated it a Wait for Deep sale I still had fun with it.
I am stoked for patches on this one and a couple could easily fix many of the problems I had with the game design. For me after 25+ hours with the finished title I saw a lot to like and a good number of things restricting that enjoyment but nothing world shattering.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Even though I rated it a Wait for Deep sale I still had fun with it.
I am stoked for patches on this one and a couple could easily fix many of the problems I had with the game design. For me after 25+ hours with the finished title I saw a lot to like and a good number of things restricting that enjoyment but nothing world shattering.
One correction in your review: you say there's no indicator for when your inventory is full, but that's what the red shield-like icon on the HUD means.

Otherwise, excellent review as always, you're one of the best at the moment.

bidguy

Banned
im guessing this is gonna stay between 50-60 on metacritic. reviews in progress dont paint a nice picture

i knew from the get go that whatever vision they had was too big for a studio of that size. it all sounded molyneux like

Bold One

What's the proper amount of reviews when people can start discussing said reviews? Can't one review be discussed or do they have to be bundled?

I usually base my decisions on more than one review.

If I only saw the Washingtons Post's 4/10 score review of Uncharted 4 and made that barometer, I would have missed out on one of the best games of the year.

I'll just leave this here: http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/m...sider-for-the-next-no-man-39-s-sky-patch.aspx

Most noteworthy:

1. Tools should auto-fuel when inventory is full:

If I’m mining with a full inventory, then it’s a safe bet I’m absent-mindedly doing it to try and refuel my suit/mining tool. Make this refueling automatic when I have no room to carry the resources, so I can focus on carrying more important stuff. Same for refueling your ship by shooting asteroids in space. As an added bonus, it cuts out the need to open a menu every two minutes.

2. The Upgrade System should be simplified:

Nobody likes having limited upgrade slots, and it’s extra infuriating when those slots require inventory space in a game that’s already plagued by encumbrance-related woes. Upgrades should always be active, simultaneously, without the need for any micromanagement of slots. If maintaining challenge is an issue that Hello Games is still concerned with, just make the upgrades harder to acquire.

4. The various types of ship fuel should be unified:

Is it realistic for all of my ship’s functions to require the same fuel? Of course not. Realism shouldn’t trump fun though, so unite the fuel resources and stop me from wasting time mining when I could be exploring.

I'm especially surprised by the route Hello took with upgrades, since it's so similar to one of the most vocally-reviled elements of The Witcher 3.

komplanen

If I only saw the Washingtons Post's 4/10 score review of Uncharted 4 and made that barometer, I would have missed out on one of the best games of the year.

That's true. Maybe I caught your conversation at a bad time or something. My point is that there's no reason not to discuss that Sterling review, no matter how singular it is.

Also he is quite respected and if he says it's a 5/10 I would personally be a little ore worried than if someone from WP says anything. But that's just me. Also I'm not going to buy this game so I don't really care one way or another. It's just a shame, I guess.

Synth

Well fortunately people here are only discussing the reviews... and they'll probably still be here to see and discuss the rest of them too, if they don't feel like they're being chased out of the thread for not saying nice things.

Jim Sterling's review is what I was worried about. Not his review, but his reasons are exactly what I was worried about. May not affect some, but those reason definitely affect me.

Aren't we a bastion of optimism.

:)

You've never been "Giant Bombed" have you?

I'm expecting the NMS scores to be all over the place. I honestly have no idea what people are thinking or expecting or assuming when they review games.

I thought Overwatch was completely overrated, and continues to be a letdown for me, yet it scored really well everywhere?

So, what do I know? I'm just getting too old I guess.

diaspora

I'm mostly in it for Ansel, performance, and visuals, but adding mod support for QOL improvements would do a lot for me. People being able to mod in gear and stuff would be bigger.

Dawg

John Smith's review is now up, too.

No Man's Sky isn't a bad game. I've played a lot of games that are much, much worse. But I've also played a lot of games that are better. No Man's Sky doesn't really do anything wrong, but it does very little things right. Exploration is fun at first, but quickly grows tiresome. It's ambitious, but not as fun as an Elder Scrolls. It has first-person shooting elements but it's nowhere near as refined as a game like Fallout 4. In fact, I'd much rather play Fallout 4 than No Man's Sky. It has better exploration, better gameplay and a better story. Sean Murray could learn a thing or two from Bethesda.

Score: 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom