• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a motherboard with built in wifi/bluetooth a better deal than one that you would have to get an attachment for? Does the wifi strength weaken when it's on the MOBO?

Bloodember

Is a motherboard with built in wifi/bluetooth a better deal than one that you would have to get an attachment for? Does the wifi strength weaken when it's on the MOBO?
It matters how much it costs. No the strength doesn't change just because it's on the motherboard. Unless the wifi chip is crap.

StMeph

Finished speccing everything out and ordering the components.

First time I've skipped out on including an optical drive, because I realized that I can count on one hand the number of times I used it in my current PC. Cutting it was more a matter of principle than cost, just to prove it's not necessary anymore.

Was impossible to find a decent rx480, didn't want a 1060 and was considering a 390x but the one I wanted was also unavailable.

Starting looking at 1070's and 980Ti's since if I'm gonna buy something else I might aswell go up instead of sideways.

Saw a decent priced 980Ti AmP Extreme that was quite a bit cheaper than the popular 1070's so I went for that. I don't see myself getting VR, and I saw one too many youtubes where the 980ti performance was very close to the 1070.

Recent build is:

CPU: i7-4770 @ 3.4 (not K version so no overclocking)
Memory: 16Gb Standard DDr3 ram (11-11-11-28)
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-D3H
GPU: 980Ti AmP Extreme
Drive: Samsung EVO 500gb SSD (just for games), other mechanical drives.
Monitor: 1080p with 60hz refresh rate

I was previously rocking a AMD Radeon HD6670 1Gb, so the step up is gonna be big isn't it? The CPU and memory was a hand-me-downs, but are they gonna be bottlenecks? CPU can't be overclocked and memory is ddr3.

kuYuri

Was impossible to find a decent rx480, didn't want a 1060 and was considering a 390x but the one I wanted was also unavailable.

Starting looking at 1070's and 980Ti's since if I'm gonna buy something else I might aswell go up instead of sideways.

Saw a decent priced 980Ti AmP Extreme that was quite a bit cheaper than the popular 1070's so I went for that. I don't see myself getting VR, and I saw one too many youtubes where the 980ti performance was very close to the 1070.

Recent build is:

CPU: i7-4770 @ 3.4 (not K version so no overclocking)
Memory: 16Gb Standard DDr3 ram (11-11-11-28)
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-D3H
GPU: 980Ti AmP Extreme
Drive: Samsung EVO 500gb SSD (just for games), other mechanical drives.
Monitor: 1080p with 60hz refresh rate

I was previously rocking a AMD Radeon HD6670 1Gb, so the step up is gonna be big isn't it? The CPU and memory was a hand-me-downs, but are they gonna be bottlenecks? CPU can't be overclocked and memory is ddr3.

Huge step up and the CPU/RAM won't be bottlenecks at all.

MizzouRah

Is there any solid reason to upgrade from an i7 4790k on an Asus Z-97 Pro/ wifi to a board with an i7 6700k? I do enjoy CPU intensive games like X-plane, but I have no idea about the upcoming CPU pipeline.

I ordered a couple of RX 480s last night. I'll put one in my HTPC (The 460 was just not cutting it for light gaming... I guess my tolerances for framerates have been refined) The other will be in my wife's PC, it's time to retire the ROG 7970 GHz... It's starting to die. It's truly a sad day...

Once Vega comes out, I'll buy her one of those, and I'll move both 480s into my PC and my 290X will move to the living room...

By then, hopefully Zen will be out and we'll see if they are worth it for a new build or not. My 2500K is starting to wheeze. I want 8 cores with my next upgrade and the released ZEN video shows it just edging out the 8c 16t Broadwell E clock-for-clock... so if the production version has a good clock and decent price, I'll be going with that instead. I'm not wanting to pay over a grand per processor for both my and my wife's new builds...

Edit:

I know the Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 is an old motherboard but it was meant for 4 way crossfire/SLI. Two newer GPUs shouldn't be a problem.... right? When it came out AMD GPUs still needed Crossfire bridges, is this motherboard missing whatever feature AMD uses for bridgeless multi-GPU?

Yeah GPU fans kicked on when I got over 60 or so. Basically when I started the game they came on. Here are temps after a match of overwatch. It's also 91f outside and I have no AC lol. How are the temps looking?
BiuWqR0.png

7V1nfRB.png

soco

Is there any solid reason to upgrade from an i7 4790k on an Asus Z-97 Pro/ wifi to a board with an i7 6700k? I do enjoy CPU intensive games like X-plane, but I have no idea about the upcoming CPU pipeline.

I seem to recall most benchmarks showing only a razor thin difference with some even showing an advantage for the 4790k.

Also, I've seen many suggestions that the processors due later this year and next will use a different socket, which may be a better investments.

The 6700k runs on a new socket that has more available PCI lanes and much better RAM.

InsaneMonkey

Neo Member
Which mobo assuming these are the prices? My case will be an ATX case if that matters.

Gigabyte Z170M-D3H Socket LGA1151 mATX Motherboard - DDR4 $132
Gigabyte Z170-HD3 Socket LGA1151 ATX Motherboard - DDR4 $135
Gigabyte Z170-D3H Socket LGA1151 ATX Motherboard - DDR4 $152

kuYuri

Nope. Not worth it right now unless you just have money to blow.

This is my first time upgrading anything myself on a PC so please forgive my ignorance. This is my current setup:

HD7970 3GB
4770K @ 4.2
16GB ram @ 1866
ASUS Sabertooth Z87
1050w Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX

I'm looking to upgrade to a 1070. Will the motherboard and power supply support it? And will the current cables that are used to the 7970 fit right into the 1070? I've always heard it's super simple to upgrade the GPU, so I figured I'd might as well do it myself.

Thanks in advance for input.

This is my first time upgrading anything myself on a PC so please forgive my ignorance. This is my current setup:

HD7970 3GB
4770K @ 4.2
16GB ram @ 1866
ASUS Sabertooth Z87
1050w Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX

I'm looking to upgrade to a 1070. Will the motherboard and power supply support it? And will the current cables that are used to the 7970 fit right into the 1070? I've always heard it's super simple to upgrade the GPU, so I figured I'd might as well do it myself.

Thanks in advance for input.

Should be fine, just uninstall AMD drivers before swapping the gpu's, then install Nvidia drivers after.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I've been thinking about upgrading my old and trusty 2500K, since it's showing its age in a few games. Hitman chugs in the areas with a crapton of people in the Paris level, for example.

Right now, my setup is:

i5 2500K OCed to 4.2GHz (4.4 is unstable)
GTX 1080 (stock)
16GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard

Now, I've been thinking about two possible upgrade paths to an i7.
Set 1:
  • CPU: Intel i7 6700K
  • Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400
  • Total: €571

Set 2:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
  • Motherboard: ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer
  • RAM: Keep what I have.
  • Total: €463

Set 1 is obviously more expensive, but it also has a Skylake CPU and DDR4 RAM. The second option is cheaper, since I get to keep my RAM, and I could potentially go for a cheaper mobo to save a bit more. What do you think is the better option? Money is not really an issue, but that doesn't mean I would like to spend a lot for barely noticeable differences in performance.

I've been thinking about upgrading my old and trusty 2500K, since it's showing its age in a few games. Hitman chugs in the areas with a crapton of people in the Paris level, for example.

Right now, my setup is:

i5 2500K OCed to 4.2GHz (4.4 is unstable)
GTX 1080 (stock)
16GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard

Now, I've been thinking about two possible upgrade paths to an i7.
Set 1:
  • CPU: Intel i7 6700K
  • Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400
  • Total: €571

Set 2:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
  • Motherboard: ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer
  • RAM: Keep what I have.
  • Total: €463

Set 1 is obviously more expensive, but it also has a Skylake CPU and DDR4 RAM. The second option is cheaper, since I get to keep my RAM, and I could potentially go for a cheaper mobo to save a bit more. What do you think is the better option? Money is not really an issue, but that doesn't mean I would like to spend a lot for barely noticeable differences in performance.

Go with build 1, you will see a straight up 10-25% performance increase depending on the benchmark, but also have access to much faster ram (ddr4:3000+ always on sale) the boards also have usb 3.1 access which is really fast going forward, not to mention the extra pci lanes with a chip like the i7 6700k you can use insanely fast drives like the Samsung 950 pro m.2.

You also have a set upgrade path with the next two iterations of Intel CPUs going ahead.

Cpu wise both are close but the overall system especially with faster ram and the newer features brings the skylake system ahead. Paired with your gtx 1080 and a good ssd, there are no bottlenecks at all in that system and won't be for quite some time.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Go with build 1, you will see a straight up 10-25% performance increase depending on the benchmark, but also have access to much faster ram (ddr4:3000+ always on sale) the boards also have usb 3.1 access which is really fast going forward, not to mention the extra pci lanes with a chip like the i7 6700k you can use insanely fast drives like the Samsung 950 pro m.2.

You also have a set upgrade path with the next two iterations of Intel CPUs going ahead.

Cpu wise both are close but the overall system especially with faster ram and the newer features brings the skylake system ahead. Paired with your gtx 1080 and a good ssd, there are no bottlenecks at all in that system and won't be for quite some time.

OK, will do. Honestly, I was mostly decided on a Skylake build, but I wanted to double check that the other option wasn't really close to it but much cheaper.

My main aim is to remove the noticeable drops in framerate in CPU-heavy scenes. In Hitman, for example, everything at max settings runs just fine, until I get a bunch of people together. Then the framerate drops to the mid 40s, obviously because the CPU can't handle all the AI routines smoothly.

LilJoka

OK, will do. Honestly, I was mostly decided on a Skylake build, but I wanted to double check that the other option wasn't really close to it but much cheaper.

My main aim is to remove the noticeable drops in framerate in CPU-heavy scenes. In Hitman, for example, everything at max settings runs just fine, until I get a bunch of people together. Then the framerate drops to the mid 40s, obviously because the CPU can't handle all the AI routines smoothly.

Have we confirmed with CPU usage stats?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Have we confirmed with CPU usage stats?

Yeah, casually, at least. The CPU sits at around 50% during normal gameplay, but spikes to 100% whenever I get to areas with clusters of people (like the bar area in the Paris map). Even puttin the graphics settings to the lowest possible doesn't impact performance in these areas.

I need help selecting a computer monitor, so thank you in advance.

Right now I'm leaning toward the ASUS MG279Q.

My wife has been using a 22 inch LG Flatron 1050p hand-me-down with my hand-me-down 7970. She uses the PC for graphic design (Adobe programs) and gaming.

Basically, she works as a graphic designer. Sure, she has a computer she uses at work, but sometimes she needs to work from home. She deserves better.

I ordered a couple of RX 480s yesterday (one for me, one for her. I'll get her a Vega when they come out and I'll Crossfire the 480s) and would like to get her a new monitor as well.

If I were buying a gaming monitor, I'd have no issues, but she needs something for design work.

She's not fond of my Ultrawide monitor (or more specifically the issues I have playing certain games on it, Mass Effect is her favorite series), so that's right out.

She needs a bigger monitor, higher resolution, 99 or 100% sRGB coverage, and she wants Freesync, and I don't want to spend over $550.

Any ideas?

Edit: She also wants tilt, pivot, and swivel...

Edit2: Guess I should add that these are Anniversary gifts...

LilJoka

Yeah, casually, at least. The CPU sits at around 50% during normal gameplay, but spikes to 100% whenever I get to areas with clusters of people (like the bar area in the Paris map). Even puttin the graphics settings to the lowest possible doesn't impact performance in these areas.

That's good enough, I would also go for Skylake. Better overclocking on Skylake without FIVR.

Echoes

I need help selecting a computer monitor, so thank you in advance.

Right now I'm leaning toward the ASUS MG279Q.

She needs a bigger monitor, higher resolution, 99 or 100% sRGB coverage, and she wants Freesync, and I don't want to spend over $550.

Does she do print work (so a wide gamut display is worth looking at) or is it primarily digital design?

I'm not sure why I'm asking here because I'm sure this isn't an issue anyone else has run into but just in case, sometimes when I boot my PC it gets stuck on the bios splash screen and won't boot into windows until I unplug a usb device, any device from any port including any on the motherboard, front panel and a usb 3 psi-e card I have. Once I unplug something and just plug it back in, Windows suddenly boots. I've updated my bios in the past to see if it would help since usb compatibility was mentioned in the release notes. Is this something anyone else has run into? It doesn't happen all the time, it's not a huge deal but if I could fix it relatively easily, I would like to.

Does she do print work (so a wide gamut display is worth looking at) or is it primarily digital design?

She works on a print magazine, but also works on banners for community events, or she's also currently working on drink menus for a restaurant and bar on the side as well. She even designs shirts for local races that her workplace sponsors. So, yes. Print work.

I really don't know much about this side of the house, lol.

Thank you, btw, I appreciate the help. She's not the type to go out and buy something for herself.

I'm currently looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236466

ohkay

Not sure if this is the right thread but what software is pretty much necessary nowadays? I just finished building my system and installing Windows, so now I just need to figure out what the essentials are since I haven't actually used a PC in a while. I only plan on gaming and web browsing

Harpua

Got the upgrade itch. Going from a 2500k to a 6700k. Mostly gaming. Have a couple questions:

Ram speed/latency/timing - anything in particular I should be aiming for? I'm looking at 16/32 GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V series at 3200.

Win 10 - is it tied to my current motherboard? Thought I read that somewhere - I'd like to continue using my existing copy - it will only be used on new PC.

Thanks

kuYuri

Not sure if this is the right thread but what software is pretty much necessary nowadays? I just finished building my system and installing Windows, so now I just need to figure out what the essentials are since I haven't actually used a PC in a while. I only plan on gaming and web browsing

Go to ninite.com and you can install majority of what you need, all at once using their installer. Web browsers, media players, etc.

LilJoka

I'm not sure why I'm asking here because I'm sure this isn't an issue anyone else has run into but just in case, sometimes when I boot my PC it gets stuck on the bios splash screen and won't boot into windows until I unplug a usb device, any device from any port including any on the motherboard, front panel and a usb 3 psi-e card I have. Once I unplug something and just plug it back in, Windows suddenly boots. I've updated my bios in the past to see if it would help since usb compatibility was mentioned in the release notes. Is this something anyone else has run into? It doesn't happen all the time, it's not a huge deal but if I could fix it relatively easily, I would like to.

Disable USB boot.
Make sure the SSD is the first device in the boot order.

Feels good having gotten my new PC built. Ordered 3 day which should have been Monday but got everything yesterday! No more laptop and don't have to rush to build/download everything to play Legion on Tuesday!

RubberedDucky

Neo Member
Yeah GPU fans kicked on when I got over 60 or so. Basically when I started the game they came on. Here are temps after a match of overwatch. It's also 91f outside and I have no AC lol. How are the temps looking?

Your GPU is at 80° with 100℅ util but your fans are only at 53℅ speed. This is too hot. Go into MSI Afterburner and set your fan curve to be around 90-100℅ once you get over 75° or so. If you're new to this use you can start with the "aggressive" preset or similar.Wwatch some quick YouTube vids, too. 80 won't cause hardware damage but as this was only after one match of Overwatch it will get much hotter with long sessions.

Echoes

She works on a print magazine, but also works on banners for community events, or she's also currently working on drink menus for a restaurant and bar on the side as well. She even designs shirts for local races that her workplace sponsors. So, yes. Print work.

I really don't know much about this side of the house, lol.

Thank you, btw, I appreciate the help. She's not the type to go out and buy something for herself.

I'm currently looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236466

This is a great monitor for both gaming and graphic design as it covers 100% of the sRGB color space. If you want a monitor that's good for both games and graphic design, this is a pretty good pick.

You'll have to ask yourself which you care more about regarding this purchase: gaming or print design. Gaming is all about high refresh rates (and lately FreeSync/G-Sync) and low response time, while photography and print design is about wider color gamuts at the expense of lower refresh rates and higher response time.

Wide-Gamut.jpg

Covering the Adobe RGB gamut is important for print work but gaming monitors don't advertise the Adobe RGB coverage (because it's not important for games). It seems that your pick covers 81% of the Adobe RGB gamut (photography-centric monitors should cover over 99%). But this is a compromise we have to live with.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Got the upgrade itch. Going from a 2500k to a 6700k. Mostly gaming. Have a couple questions:

Ram speed/latency/timing - anything in particular I should be aiming for? I'm looking at 16/32 GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V series at 3200.

Win 10 - is it tied to my current motherboard? Thought I read that somewhere - I'd like to continue using my existing copy - it will only be used on new PC.

Thanks

3200 might not work with the 6700K. my system was unstable with a CPU overclock (4.5ghz) and ram at 3200. highest i got was 2933. 3000 might be possible. for gaming 2133-2666 is fine.

is it a retail or OEM copy? if it's retail you should be able to use it on your new motherboard. mine was OEM so i had to buy a new license.

I'm on the final stretch - just got to connect the motherboard power cable (evga supernova 760 g2 cable) to the mobo (Asus z170-a). The connector for the mobo power cable is split into two at the end, one 18 pin and one 10 pin, which I think is the end that's supposed to go into the mobo, with the other end that is one whole plug going into the psu itself. The weird thing is that there isn't enough space on the mobo for both of the split ends to go in, so which do I plug in? The 10 pin or the 18 pin?

Pics of the plug and socket

Edit: the weird thing is that the other end of the cable does have the right amount of pins to fit that socket, but a) when I tried to power on the PC with that setup there was no power whatsoever.

Replugging everything back into the psu - all cables with their solid end plugged into the psu with the exception being the motherboard, which has the split end going into the psu as that's the only way both ends will fit. Is that correct? That's how it was originally but there is seemingly no power going to any of the components at all (no lights on anything).

Your GPU is at 80° with 100℅ util but your fans are only at 53℅ speed. This is too hot. Go into MSI Afterburner and set your fan curve to be around 90-100℅ once you get over 75° or so. If you're new to this use you can start with the "aggressive" preset or similar.Wwatch some quick YouTube vids, too. 80 won't cause hardware damage but as this was only after one match of Overwatch it will get much hotter with long sessions.

I downloaded the evga precision software and set to aggressive. How can I test it? Played another match of overwatch and here is what it looks like

golem

^ Does it make any noises when the computer turns on?

Also have you tried plugging it in to your mb's onboard video / possibly taking the vid card itself out

^ Does it make any noises when the computer turns on?

Also have you tried plugging it in to your mb's onboard video / possibly taking the vid card itself out

Good shout, just tried plugging it into the onboard video - still the same thing. Not picking it up. (Display port)

No beep noises either

3200 might not work with the 6700K. my system was unstable with a CPU overclock (4.5ghz) and ram at 3200. highest i got was 2933. 3000 might be possible. for gaming 2133-2666 is fine.

is it a retail or OEM copy? if it's retail you should be able to use it on your new motherboard. mine was OEM so i had to buy a new license.

Supported RAM speed depends on the motherboard, not the CPU. There are plenty of z170 boards that support 4133 MHz RAM.

You want the fastest RAM at the lowest CAS latency and voltage for a given price.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Or for around $700 resusing your CPU cooler, PSU, Case and HDD. This will run High-Ultra at 1080 easily.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($284.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $732.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 13:00 EDT-0400

What's the difference in CPU from my i5-3570K to your i5-6500? The only thing I'm noticing is it being a newer processor, but my 3570 is apparently faster?

I'm not seeing a reason to rebuy nearly the same processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom