• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick under the buttons? What does rhis mean?
802113b.jpg

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Amazingly enough the device doesn't even have nfc capabilities

What would make you think that? When NX was first mentioned back in 2015, if there's anything I would have guaranteed the system would have (whether it was a handheld, hybrid, or home console), it would have been NFC. Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet doesn't mean it doesn't have it. Unless you've heard the final retail version won't have NFC?

The only thing I could maybe see is that there's no NFC in the portable itself and it's only in the dock (since I think most people keep their amiibo at home and while at home, the screen might not be accessible if it's docked), but I can't see the device not having it in some way. But I'd guess the portable (or a controller core that the detachable controllers can plug into at home) does have it.

georly

What would make you think that? When NX was first mentioned back in 2015, if there's anything I would have guaranteed the system would have (whether it was a handheld, hybrid, or home console), it would have been NFC. Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet doesn't mean it doesn't have it. Unless you've heard the final retail version won't have NFC?

The only thing I could maybe see is that there's no NFC in the portable itself and it's only in the dock (since I think most people keep their amiibo at home and while at home, the screen might not be accessible if it's docked), but I can't see the device not having it in some way. But I'd guess the portable (or a controller core that the detachable controllers can plug into at home) does have it.

I hope people aren't taking the list literally. As in, 'this is every feature the nx will have, no more, no less.'

I don't think anyone who hasn't actually seen it (and maybe even a lot who actually have) have a 100% understanding or knowledge of everything the system is capable of.

You can put the pieces together and kinda figure out a general understanding of what nx is, but please don't read the rumors as "yup, this is everything, that's it."

I hope people aren't taking the list literally. As in, 'this is every feature the nx will have, no more, no less.'

I don't think anyone who hasn't actually seen it (and maybe even a lot who actually have) have a 100% understanding or knowledge of everything the system is capable of.

You can put the pieces together and kinda figure out a general understanding of what nx is, but please don't read the rumors as "yup, this is everything, that's it."

Exactly. I mean, it's entirely possible that studios with dev kits don't even have the full picture when it comes to this device.

georly

Exactly. I mean, it's entirely possible that studios with dev kits don't even have the full picture when it comes to this device.

Like, maybe they do in terms of hardware features, but it's possible nintendo is keeping software features close to the chest until release. You never know.

Speely

Banned
Like, maybe they do in terms of hardware features, but it's possible nintendo is keeping software features close to the chest until release. You never know.

This is something I have been sort of grappling with. When a device is, at least ostensibly, without direct precendence, what do the dev kits have to contain in order to give devs enough access to take advantage of the platform? Do they need everything, or do they just need a realistic target?

I know jack-all about actual game development, so I dunno. But it's a thing I have been thinking about a lot since NX rumors started happening.

georly

This is something I have been sort of grappling with. When a device is, at least ostensibly, without direct precendence, what do the dev kits have to contain in order to give devs enough access to take advantage of the platform? Do they need everything, or do they just need a realistic target?

I know jack-all about actual game development, so I dunno. But it's a thing I have been thinking about a lot since NX rumors started happening.

Depends on what they're trying to push for the system. If at start they just want generic games, then you keep the secret sauce a secret.

If your sales pitch revolves around the secret sauce, you kinda want a lot of games to take advantage of it.

Think Wii remote vs nfc maybe (even though we know ubisoft knew about nfc early on - point is no one used it heavily til amiibo). Whole system revolved around motion but wii u only had nfc as a bonus add-on.

I can't come up with a clear example, since i'm basically making things up. My point is, however, that it's entirely possible people working with the thing don't know everything about it.

suaveric

Yeah, it sure is surprising to me as well, if the report is accurate. Let's see where they're going with this. Moving the right analog stick tells me that they're listening to someone w/ this system (personally, I loved the right stick above, so it ain't me).

I think it has more to do with symmetry when the controllers are detached.

optimiss

I thought I'd throw my hat into the NX design ring.

The unique features are:
  • Textured controllers for better grip
  • Unique pinch-activated L & R buttons
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
  • Launches in four colors: strawberry, lemon, lime, and blue raspberry
CdZUNC2.png

kagamin

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates

Sounds delicious.

MuchoMalo

Banned

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

This is what I'm talking about. You even actually remembered speakers!

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

Wow. This is hawt.

Oddduck

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

This is actually really cool. Nice job.

Gsnap

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

This one is actually pretty good looking.

ASIS

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

looks great! But it is still missing the start and select buttons. There is no way that is not going in the final design right?

On the other hand.. We only have two shoulder buttons so anything is possible.
If I get time this weekend, I'll make a video discussion talking about all the reports and rumors that have happened over the week, and maybe field questions from Twitter.

Are you planning on doing just a recap video or an actual discussion such as speculation and overall impressions?

NateDrake

looks great! But it is still missing the start and select buttons. There is no way that is not going in the final design right?

On the other hand.. We only have two shoulder buttons so anything is possible.

Are you planning on doing just a recap video or an actual discussion such as speculation and overall impressions?

Recap, then to move on to discussion to expand on a few things on my end, and then overall impressions on the device and its potential.

baphomet

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

This is probably pretty similar to the final look if I had to guess.

ASIS

Recap, then to move on to discussion to expand on a few things on my end, and then overall impressions on the device and its potential.

sounds great I'm looking forward to it! Thank you in advance for your efforts.

I have one question, and one question only. It is a bit of a tough one so I fully understand if you can't answer it but here goes.

From a hardware perspective, do we know all the important details about the NX or is there still more to it?

No need for specifics, just a yes or a no would do.

Dr. Buni

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png
That looks soooo good.

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png
This is pretty good. No circle pads though lol

optimiss

I probably should have put them in. It slipped my mind.

But honestly, do we really need them anymore? I usually press "A" to start things. Plus you'll probably be able to just tap on the screen.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

ASIS

But honestly, do we really need them anymore? I usually press "A" to start things. Plus you'll probably be able to just tap on the screen.

It's more about inventory management when playing at home. You could argue that the home button could double as a pause button but many games pause by opening up menus, maps, etc. I think it's still rather important.

maybe you could add one more button per controller? In any case, you really did a fantastic job.

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png
By far the most plausible mock up I've seen.

Speely

Banned
I am a fan of offset sticks/pads, but looking at the above mockup, doesn't anyone else see the same problem that I am seeing? When using the right stick/pad, most of your hand would have no stable purchase upon which to rest, and so you would just be manipulating the stick/pad with most of your hand hanging in free space. Unless you formed a weird claw with your right hand in order to grasp the controller itself and still have your thumb on the pad/stick.

Neither of those options sound particularly good.

-Horizon-

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png
If the NX looked like this I'd buy it day 1

ggx2ac

It's good.

It gave me one idea though since people were mentioning lack of start/select buttons.

Virtual start/select buttons to save space from putting them on the bezel. (Although that could be an eyesore.)

Real start/select buttons can be put onto the module you attach the controllers for the Pro Controller style.

I wouldn't mind front speakers even though as I mentioned, having a thin bezel could save space length wise and put them on the back.

That's why I thought just only having a thin bezel on the sides where the controllers attach but make them thick on the top or bottom to fit speakers and a camera would make sense but, I don't know if it would look oddly shaped.

BD1

Banned

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

Nice job, based on the leaks and rumors this is probably pretty close to what NX is.

Although, I hate the split D pad design. I'd rather real ABXY button and C-Buttons.
nostalgia is real

I think the best option for Nintendo is to include some kind of attachment to when you take the controllers off of the NX you can connect them to this attachment and have full sized standard controller.

Because I'm not going to like sticking these two small controllers together as one, if they can do that of course. They can put some cheap middle piece to make the standard controller a little more wider when the two controllers connect to each other.

Speely

Banned
But how are players using the right pad/stick when the controllers are attached? By gripping the right controller between your thumb and index/middle fingers? I think that if there is an offset layout, it will be less dramatic. Else, holding this device will be a chore.

AfroDust

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

This is dope af.

cacildo

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

It will be pretty strange if they reveal the damn thing and it looks exactly like this

Neoxon

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png
No ZL/ZR or Start/Select?

Otherwise, it looks great.

Azoo

Neo Member
Only things that get me are

1 ) I don't think the traditional face buttons are going anywhere, since it's part of the "There's No Play Like It" slogan logo

2 ) There's more than likely going to be triggers

Otherwise that looks pretty slick.

Volotaire

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

Good mockup.

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png
Really good, but I'd rename the L and R buttons on the left to L and ZL, with the right ones being R and ZR, and then add start and select buttons.

Calm Mind

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

The closest I've seen to a Nintendo-like design. The kickstand is a nice touch.

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png
This works as a good compendium of the recent rumors and is actually nice looking. There's some design issues one can quickly notice. Would be nice if you could explain further in case im missing something obvious:

The ineteresting thing to see here revolves around the shoulder button implementation.
  • 1. The Unqiue pinch activated L & R. From it's nomenclature and looking at the drawing, it means the user needs to use the index and thumb to operate them. This takes away most of the functionality of shoulder or trigger buttons, wich is working independently and at the same time with thumb operated face buttons.
  • 2. Although one fully undertands that the shoulders are setup like that due to limited space and for the sake of NES style for multiplayer setup, the way the R & L are operated in the mock up it's the least efficient and dextrous way the index or middle finger can move in the positions the user would operate the controller. So to compensate, R & L would need to offer minimal resistance. Which is ok, but i think you could only get away with that when operating the controller in the vertical position (Wii Remote style). Moving on in this sense...
  • 3. The shoulders are both in the top and botton to accomodate R and L use when the controllers are detached and used in the NES style mode. It sounds good in theory. However, when holding the controllers in that style the middle and index fingers go away from the corners. So to actually push the pinch R & L, the user needs to reposition both the thumb and middle finger.
DISCALIMER: im not ruling out the solution, what i mean here is that there are some potential concerns i notice that need to be taken in consideration.

Ignore this speculation but maybe the analogs are asymmetric for two-player this
3FnMT8Z.png

The analog stick will be on the regular side for both players, muhahahahaha.
You are right, but i think there's more to it that you are not considering.

It would work for very limited type of games. The reason 2 player mode works in Wii U Party is because those are top down games with a fixed perspective that can be displayed in portrait mode. For those the setup with the offset sticks is perfect as you point out.

But once you try more typical games in Landscape mode, with scrolling scenes or 3D dynamic cameras the setup becomes limiting. The way to solve this would be to split the screen in the middle.

However, splitting the screen creates a new downside. The screen area for each player becomes half. Considering that the confortable way to operate the game with the above setup is around the waist level (a bit up maybe) or using a table, and you could run with potential visibility problems due to screen operating distance.

What do you think?

Branduil

It's the best mockup I've seen aesthetically. Still don't believe Nintendo would sacrifice normal usability for the mini-NES controllers idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom