• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaryn

BioWare GM
This is perhaps my #1 wish in video games for 2016.

I want this reveal to knock my socks off, make me rush out and pre-order (which I try to never do now) and fiend for the game in a way only Mass Effect can....BioWare, I have faith.

Thanks - I hope everything we talk about next / soon will do the same!

Aaryn

BioWare GM
I guarantee whatever they show will be met with vocal criticism as that's just a predictable groupthink in response to modern BioWare irrespective of justification. It probably wont be exactly what some people are expecting or want, and others will nitpick at trivialities that otherwise get a pass in competing franchises.

It's more just the woeful marketing leading up to the reveal that I think has scattered reception. When all is said and done an November 7th blowout may make the leadup cynicism redundant. But nevertheless the efforts gone towards keeping Andromeda a secret while in the same breath still drip feeding details has not worked to their favour.

As it stands the game is in such an unusual place. Officially we've have so little confirmed, information mostly comprised of art assets, early tech demos, and lukewarm teasers, coupled with off-hand announcements in interviews (like learning about the Ryder family). For the person, regardless of fan mania, who just want's to know more about Mass Effect: Andromeda, the specifics have been usually inconsistent and muddied in delivery. It's really hard to pinpoint exactly what the project is, and about if you're not following leaks and other details (and who says the leaked content, like the survey, are even relevant any more?) the marketing arm for Andromeda is a mess.

If the objective was to build a Fallout 4 style hype machine and marketing lead-up, BioWare and EA have failed. They were probably off on the wrong foot right at the start when they first announced the game existing at all, given Bethesda cleverly stayed mum on the project (despite its obvious existence) right up until the reveal. At least in Bethesda's case they could leverage the "we're not talking about the future of Fallout", but EA/BioWare couldn't with Andromeda. In their case they had already announced the game, and so fans kept asking to see more of something they new existed. And those somethings so far have been bunk.

They just need to get it done and dusted, basically. Give people/fans something tangible to talk about. And if there are concerns and worries about certain gameplay elements and content, they can be properly addressed and discussed instead the vague nothingness we have at the moment.

You make some really good points.

I can't undo decisions that were made years ago about revealing the existence of the game in development, so we all have to live with that (nobody more so than the MEA team). And we all know why there's an assumption of negativity - good people like Casey leave BioWare, we don't reveal everything about development, etc.

But I think we're through almost all of that now, which means what we show and talk about, starting with the tech demo at the Sony event a few days ago, should be factual, concrete, and meaningful to fans. That does NOT mean we reveal EVERYTHING, but I think we'll be both better armed and in more familiar territory between now and release.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hey Aarynn, been a while since we saw you here!

Can't wait to see the combat, galaxy map navigation and a better look at our ship. That plus some of our first squadmates of course(like the Asari I guess). I assume this will be revealed in 2 months?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You make some really good points.

I can't undo decisions that were made years ago about revealing the existence of the game in development, so we all have to live with that (nobody more so than the MEA team). And we all know why there's an assumption of negativity - good people like Casey leave BioWare, we don't reveal everything about development, etc.

But I think we're through almost all of that now, which means what we show and talk about, starting with the tech demo at the Sony event a few days ago, should be factual, concrete, and meaningful to fans. That does NOT mean we reveal EVERYTHING, but I think we'll be both better armed and in more familiar territory between now and release.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Cheers for the reply. Sounds like you guys are wrestling with the same rock and a hard place marketing situation. I mean, for someone like myself the game could surprise drop tomorrow and I'd still be all over it despite knowing so little, but for the casual observer it's been an unfortunately lukewarm and unfocused marketing slow drip. In that respect I can't blame people for their apprehension and scepticism as to the state of the project, which I'm sure is frustrating to read to those on the inside.

Nevertheless, clarity come N7 should hopefully clear a lot up for those following, and give a more focused, forward moving momentum to the marketing and media.

(Hurry up and drop that book, by the way. I need a new Mass Effect read.)

Aaryn

BioWare GM
Hey Aarynn, been a while since we saw you here!

Can't wait to see the combat, galaxy map navigation and a better look at our ship. That plus some of our first squadmates of course(like the Asari I guess). I assume this will be revealed in 2 months?

Not all of that will be revealed in two months (what would we share in December, January...), but I hope you like what we do share, and even more so, I hope you feel confident that we'll keep showing and talking.

Aaryn

BioWare GM
Cheers for the reply. Sounds like you guys are wrestling with the same rock and a hard place marketing situation. I mean, for someone like myself the game could surprise drop tomorrow and I'd still be all over it despite knowing so little, but for the casual observer it's been an unfortunately lukewarm and unfocused marketing slow drip. In that respect I can't blame people for their apprehension and scepticism as to the state of the project, which I'm sure is frustrating to read to those on the inside.

Nevertheless, clarity come N7 should hopefully clear a lot up for those following, and give a more focused, forward moving momentum to the marketing and media.

(Hurry up and drop that book, by the way. I need a new Mass Effect read.)

"Wrestling" is definitely a good word...

As for the next book, we should have news on that soon as well.

Bisnic

Not all of that will be revealed in two months (what would we share in December, January...), but I hope you like what we do share, and even more so, I hope you feel confident that we'll keep showing and talking.

Oh, if you intend to reveal more stuff in the following months rather than a huge reveal in November, I guess that'll work too. :)

By the way... care to share the name of the Asari we've seen? ;)

Mindlog

t1478538000z4.png

Let's do this.
I'm one of those that really doesn't need a lot revealed and I find it weird that when something is revealed it's immediately taken as a summation of the entire product no matter how small the slice. 'No Quarians in the short teaser therefore no Quarians confirmed.'

I mean I hope there are no Quarians.

In the meantime I play other games wondering how much better they would be with Mass Effect mechanics. Destiny raids (the real impetus if I decide to get RoI) would be so much more interesting with ME weapons and powers.

Ooof, that initial difficulty struggle in Mass Effect 1 on Insanity is rough. You basically have to do a bunch of the planet exploring/sidemissions to level up enough to around level 20 before the loot and ability points are enough to overcome the one-hit sniper enemies and regenerating krogan.

WeTeHa

I'm so excited for ME:A, even more so after the short snippet we got from the sony event. Probably my most anticipated game after Horizon.

Inthought the animations looked pretty good, except for the landing animation from the jetpack jump. But I think I'm pretty easy to please, so maybe I'm not the best person to judge. Way more important to me is lip synching and diversity in hand, eye and hesd movement during 1 on 1 conversations. Having the same few animations on repeat during a 50 hour game gets old fast :p

diaspora

Crossposted from the PC screenshot thread, but as a part of my write-up on modding the trilogy, I think I nailed down how to get depth of field running consistently. It's not something you're going to want running during gameplay but it's good for screenshots.
I'm experimenting a bit, but I'm basically downsampling from 7680x4320 in Gedosato to 3840x2160. From there, Nvidia DSR takes over and downsamples again from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080. Also using reshade on top of all this with DOF, lighting, colour changes, and HBAO on.

Essentially going from 8k to 4k to 1080p.

edit: what the hell, Aaryn Flynn was here? Yo, PC footage when?

Ooof, that initial difficulty struggle in Mass Effect 1 on Insanity is rough. You basically have to do a bunch of the planet exploring/sidemissions to level up enough to around level 20 before the loot and ability points are enough to overcome the one-hit sniper enemies and regenerating krogan.
Insanity in ME1 just isn't worth it IMO. It's just not fun having to Warp everything in sight because everyone spams Immunity.

The_Ur_Quan

BioWare Dev
We are hard at work reforming / evolving practices and tools across the boards, namely in animation, all while making ends meet for deadlines to ship an awesome MEA. It's a challenge that'll be worth it :) The winds of change have already been getting solid traction here, from logistics to tech and art, before I and a host of new blood veterans joined ranks to further cultivate the pursuit and obsession for quality. This process doesn't just magically happen overnight, but fans will hopefully be noticing a leap - dare I say a quantum leap - forward in many aspects (e.g. player locomotion) in MEA; I'm hopeful for what's in store for the future :)

Sou Da

Insanity in ME1 just isn't worth it IMO. It's just not fun having to Warp everything in sight because everyone spams Immunity.

Yeah it quickly becomes Krogans laying down while you shoot your spectre pistol at him for eternity.

We are hard at work reforming / evolving practices and tools across the boards, namely in animation, all while making ends meet for deadlines to ship an awesome MEA. It's a challenge that'll be worth it :) The winds of change have already been getting solid traction here, from logistics to tech and art, before I and a host of new blood veterans joined ranks to further cultivate the pursuit and obsession for quality. This process doesn't just magically happen overnight, but fans will hopefully be noticing a leap - dare I say a quantum leap - forward in many aspects (e.g. player locomotion) in MEA; I'm hopeful for what's in store for the future :)

Oh hey you're the Dante fan film guy aren't you? Here's hoping things turn out noticeably well over there.

diaspora

Does anyone know how to take vertical screen shots in reshade with ReShade Assistant? I can do it in gedosato but I'm not going to get post-processing in it.

Sounds very cool, I don't doubt it will be worth the 5 year wait. I just hope all the nitpicky people commenting on the 4K Reveal didn't make all you animation devs feel horrible. I think the amount of people in the Mass Effect community excited about Andromeda vastly outweigh the doubters, and sometimes people think the echo chamber of forums like GAF represent the whole spectrum of opinions.

I played through with a Soldier. The only time I "died" was when I had to restart because two Krogan got in melee distance of me--they couldn't hurt me enough to overcome the Soldier's toughness but I couldn't get free of them to shoot them. Total stalemate.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There better be a Turian squadmate or I'm gonna be bummed.

Bisnic

I know some people aren't thrilled by the new Asari look(i think it's mostly the black paint on her face?), but I think she looks good. Can't wait to see the other alien races like Turians, Salarians and Krogans.

Is it too much to assume that all the trilogy races will make it into Andromeda?

Sou Da

I'd be shocked if all the council races didn't make it in, that said they said one of their aims was for facial diversity within aliens. That sounds tough to do for Turians, I'd like to see what the art team would make.

Kinda curious what kind of angle they could play on another Turian squadmate. Garrus was the badass ex-cop vigilante, but we know most Turians are like that because their race is militarized.

We barely got to see female Turians in ME3, that could be cool in Andromeda.

diaspora

Kinda curious what kind of angle they could play on another Turian squadmate. Garrus was the badass ex-cop vigilante, but we know most Turians are like that because their race is militarized.

We barely got to see female Turians in ME3, that could be cool in Andromeda.
Turiansaren't really vigilantes I thought. They adhere too strongly to their structure to break away and exact revenge outside the law even if they share a similar desire for justice.

EatChildren

As long as she's not a Sera I'm open to the new Asari. I don't agree with the lot of the criticism deflected at her, in that she's considered unconventionally attractive and not the Asari norm. We've had three games built with the alternative as a mainstay, on hardware with a project scope that resulted in a significant reuse of the "model-like beauty" face asset for NPCs. If Frostbite, their tools, and modern hardware gives them more flexibility for facial variety then I welcome it. And if that means we have an Asari that doesn't conform to the norm established by Liara and co, then it's something fresh and original for the core cast that'll hopefully help separate Andromeda from its predecessors.

I mean, at its core that's what I want from this game. I want Mass Effect because I love Mass Effect, but I want it to be a fresh new direction and take on the setting and cast. I love the old stuff, but the old stuff isn't going anywhere and retreading existing tropes is too comfortable.

Im short, make the Turian squadmate female, like Nyreen.

diaspora

As long as she's not a Sera I'm open to the new Asari. I don't agree with the lot of the criticism deflected at her, in that she's considered unconventionally attractive and not the Asari norm. We've had three games built with the alternative as a mainstay, on hardware with a project scope that resulted in a significant reuse of the "model-like beauty" face asset for NPCs. If Frostbite, their tools, and modern hardware gives them more flexibility for facial variety then I welcome it. And if that means we have an Asari that doesn't conform to the norm established by Liara and co, then it's something fresh and original for the core cast that'll hopefully help separate Andromeda from its predecessors.

I mean, at its core that's what I want from this game. I want Mass Effect because I love Mass Effect, but I want it to be a fresh new direction and take on the setting and cast. I love the old stuff, but the old stuff isn't going anywhere and retreading existing tropes is too comfortable.

Im short, make the Turian squadmate female, like Nyreen.
It's possible with Inquisition, it should be here.

After some digging, you can see some of what I meant. Bioware has brought on some great talent from respected studios like Naughty Dog in the animation department:

-Ricardo Flores (5 years at ND as character animator): https://www.linkedin.com/in/ricardoflores13

-Chris Ilvento (8 years at ND, now Senior Cinematic Animator at BW): https://www.linkedin.com/in/cilvento

-Tal Peleg (5 years at ND as Senior cinematic animator, doing the same at BW): https://www.linkedin.com/in/tal-peleg-5882a121

These guys worked on Uncharted and TLOU. And they're only some of the talent brought on board.

I know it was never "confirmed" to be true but didn't those survey details/reddit leaks mention that one squadmate would be a buxom blonde human female? (alongside a Krogan too).

I wonder (assuming it's true and unchanged) if she'll be this game's Miranda/Ashley or something different.

I know it was never "confirmed" to be true but didn't those survey details/reddit leaks mention that one squadmate would be a buxom blonde human female? (alongside a Krogan too).

I wonder (assuming it's true and unchanged) if she'll be this game's Miranda/Ashley or something different.

This was way back before the siblings were revealed so possibly the leaker was confusing an early FemRyder model for another squadmate.

It's hard to tell either way.

I think the woman in the Mass Effect 1 looking armour in the 4K video may be who the leaks were talking about.

Anyway, I hope that the sibling Ryder is a squadmate and there's a good brother/sister dynamic.

EatChildren

Only Asari and Humans make it in.

Bisnic

I'll accept if Geths, Drells, Vorchas, Yahgs and Rachnis don't make it. Everything else need to be in.

Fruitster

No Turians would make me pretty pissed but it seems unlikely that they wouldn't be in the game in some capacity, the same for Asari, Salarians and Krogan. Tough to say with the Quarians though. I sure would like to know that Turians at least are in.

I could imagine that the likes of Volus, Batarians, Elcor and Vorcha getting the chop though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom