• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hiring 3D CG "terrain" Designers for Kyoto and Tokyo offices

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Isn't this a super standard job position? What's interesting about it?

(from their website - mid-career recruitment page)

3DCG Designer
3DCG Designer (terrain) (NEW)

1. It's a new position that they've never specifically listed or hired for.
2. They are actively recruiting 3D CG "terrain" designers for both offices in response to something
3. OMG Nintendo is expanding
It's for F-Zero

Schnozberry

Isn't this a super standard job position? What's interesting about it?

It's really not that interesting. It's just nice to see Nintendo continuing on it's path to modernization. PBR has been in use on Wii U since Mario Kart 8 was released, but with NX's horsepower and their new engines I bet it will be used all over the place.

I hope this is a /s post because Nintendo is fully capable of online games (portable and console). They are just really weird with which games actually get online features.

'Online Xenoblade' suggests an always-online MMO-style experience that a hybrid console would struggle to deliver. My commentary was aimed at the idea of Nintendo having to provide some sort of mobile internet service/data plan, considering the hybrid/portable nature of the NX.

Can't quite see anyone other than Retro Studios, making a new Metroid Prime game.

RETRO aren't the team they used to be. I would say it's anyone's guess.

Is this based on reality? Because I've played plenty of portable Nintendo games and they work just fine

See above, my post was referring to the online element.

gafneo

Banned
Nintendo getting into TV and movies. CGI pixar movie game hybrids. FMVs resurected with live action hollowood A-lists.

AmyS

In Japan, the term "CG" was often used in the context of real-time polygon graphics, especially for arcade boards.

i.e. Sega Model 1, Model 2.

Q1K3tX4.jpg
6b2u3kM.jpg

I'm not saying this is the same "CG" context Nintendo is hiring for, but "3D CG terrain" is no doubt for a large game that needs a lot of terrain designed for it. i.e. Zelda: Twilight Princess for GCN/Wii and more recently Breath of the Wild.

Hopefully this specific case is for a large open world"3D CG" Mario game, a la Mario 64, Sunshine, and to a lesser extent (not open world) Mario Galaxy :)

Retro really is the new Rare huh?

I meant the majority of individuals that worked on the Prime games have since moved elsewhere - Armature for one. RETRO are still a really top class studio (DKC games proved that!), but it would be uncharacteristic of them to start making Metroid games again.

ecosse_011172

Übermatik;217620593 said:
I meant the majority of individuals that worked on the Prime games have since moved elsewhere - Armature for one. RETRO are still a really top class studio (DKC games proved that!), but it would be uncharacteristic of them to start making Metroid games again.

The majority?
Sure about that?

Hakai

Übermatik;217620593 said:

I was just joking.

From the creators of Endless Ocean, comes Endless Terrain. Instead of swimming through an aquatic world of reefs and fishes, you're belly-crawling through bug-infested plains and tumbling head-first into sandpits.

From the creators of Endless Ocean, comes Endless Terrain. Instead of swimming through an aquatic world of reefs and fishes, you're belly-crawling through bug-infested plains and tumbling head-first into sandpits.

Hahahahahah! :D Make it face-down point of view, so the screen's just a constant muddy blackness

Top Bottom