• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New York Times endorses Hillary Clinton for President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Maaaan I wish I didn't click that link lol. Some of those names are really bumming me out.

Seeing Lou Ferrigno in that list hurts like a motherfucker, too.

Then again, he's a bodybuilder and Trump-like politicians (and libertarians) are superpopular among them. I don't think I've ever met a pro bodybuilder who wasn't a nationalist, a libertarian or a mix of both.

Edit: Nick Searcy being a Trump fanboy was more or less expected after the shit he pulled over Twitter around the last season of Justified, but it still stings so damn bad.
Edit 2: Oh, the irony of Searcy going apeshit for Trump yet working for noted Mexican immigrant Guillermo del Toro. FFS.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Any endorser sharing a list with Stormfront really ought to start questioning themselves, tbh...

Edit: oh, add Robert Mugabe, Vladimir Putin, Bashar Al-Assad and Kim Jong-Un too!

What a list.

Public servants are also civilians, excluding police/firefighters . The United States Armed Forces is under civilian control, for instance, and the Commander in Chief is a position that can only be held by civilians.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Thanks for the explanation :D

Fhtagn

I am straight up astonished that people in this thread are say that editorial boards shouldn't endorse candidates. Of course they do and should.

Same goes for people demanding that the news be "unbiased."

Shows a huge lack of self reflection if you think anyone is capable of reporting the news in an unbiased fashion. Everyone has bias. Newspapers being open about who and why they endorse one candidate over another is a prime way for their readers to evaluate the biases, the priorities, and the critical thinking skills of that newspaper and find out whether they feel like this newspaper is worth their time.

It is far more transparent for institutions dedicated to covering the news and politics to take a position in public about why they feel one candidate is better than the other, than for them to pretend to be emotionless robots.

Live ten minutes in my life, or the life of any minority, and you may see things a bit differently

On one hand, there's an incredibly intelligent, qualified and competent leader. On the other, there's a literal white nationalist, racist, misogynistic bigot.

I'm Mexican and I'm living a comfortable life. I've never experience discrimination and I'm working/studying. 🤔

The only time I've 'experienced' racism was when a KKK member handed me a flyer to join and I told him, I'm Mexican though. He put his head down and said sorry lol

ryseing

Only pushes me closer towards voting for Trump.

Why?

This is a weird thread. Newspapers have never been just about the news. They have always provided platforms for people to share their views. Go look at the American Revolution. There is no ethical issue with an editorial board endorsing a candidate. Doesn't mean that they will be biased towards that candidate.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Regardless of whether or not it influences anyone's opinion, it's good to put this stuff on paper because it's the right thing to do. I think it's important that the paper of record memorializes these things not just because of its historical value but because articulate defenses of reality are meaningful.

And yes, it's exceedingly well written and does a great job of laying out the positive case for HRC.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, James Woods stings. Why man, why? You did great in Kingdom Hearts and other voice overs. Now I shall have to boycott you for supporting man child racist Trump.

Xe4

Banned
I've never been a terribly big fan of newspapers and stuff endorsing a candidate, but I know it's tradition, so whatever.

Good on the NY Times for making a case for Clinton that's not "she's not Trump". Basically this is what I'm going to link if someone asks why I'm voting Clinton other than she's not Trump.

Clinton ain't perfect by any means, and she's made some monumentally dumb decisions (let's be honest, who hasn't...), but she's done fantastic work in women's and LGBT rights, the fight for healthcare reform, international peace efforts (Myanmar being the big one), and more.

I don't think she's going to be as amazing as Obama was, but in my opinnion, Obama was the best president we've had for a long time. I think Obama is going to go down in history as one of America's best president. Hillary will continue and build upon those ideas, as well as adding her own, and move this country in a positive direction, rather than backwards as Trump (or any Republican who ran this year) would have.

I was sure they'd plump for trump

Kinda surprising. I feel they've been the most constant in bringing up the damn emails and trying to find shit with which to make her look bad.

They are in part to blame for the she's unlikable narrative with their relentless articles on shit that's actually nothing.
The NYT has endorsed the democratic candidate in every election since Eisenhower. Them not endorsing Hillary, no matter who she ran against, would have been shocking.

Checking Clinton's Wikipedia page of endorsements, I'm surprised to see Frank Miller listed there. It's apparently from an interview last year where he said he'd vote for her.

That page is kind of a mess as it's padded with a shitload of endorsements from small political offices.

Yeah, James Woods stings. Why man, why? You did great in Kingdom Hearts and other voice overs. Now I shall have to boycott you for supporting man child racist Trump.

The battle for the mind of North America will be fought in the video arena: the Videodrome. The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television.

Good god. That list is a literal Who's Who of scum and villainy.

The sports endorsement list in particular is a real mess

Mike Tyson - Convicted rapist
John Rocker - Most well known for going on racist tirade about NY
Bob Knight - Fired for being abusive toward players
Don King - Convicted of manslaughter
Tito Ortiz - Arrested for domestic violence
Dennis Rodman - Arrested multiple times for domestic violence
Latrell Sprewell - Choked headcoach and was suspended for a season
Curt Schilling - Where do you start?

RPGCrazied

She was right about that deplorable comment.

Almost everyone on the trump side on the wall is of the batshit crazy variety.

No shit. A Trump supporter is basically either a racist, an idiot or fucking crazy.

Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.