• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mafia III Review Copies Ahead of Launch

how long til preload on ps4?

Preload is on the 5th and not the 4th? Why did I think it was the fourth.
mindblown.png

I can't wait to play a black man and kill white racists. I'm white myself btw. I seriously preordered this game because I want more games with diverse protagonists and themes that offend racists. If it ends up being glitchy/buggy(more than that normal open world jank), I still hope it is successful for this reason alone.

SomTervo

Damn all the footage we've seen has been on ps4 rite? Or am I mistaken? Just wondering whether or not to get it on PC or ps4. I mean if it's a good port then there's obviously no question as my rig should be able to crank it to ultra but I worry about performance on PC especially if they haven't shown anything on PC. Does anyone know for sure that it's all ps4 footage? Cuz Arkham knight was all ps4 and we know how that turned out. Always makes me wonder if devolepers show console versions over PC as u would think they would want to show best footage out tbere

People were saying in here that the developer favours PC and PC builds. Not sure where that came from or if it's true.

I can't wait to play a black man and kill white racists. I'm white myself btw. I seriously preordered this game because I want more games with diverse protagonists and themes that offend racists. If it ends up being glitchy/buggy(more than that normal open world jank), I still hope it is successful for this reason alone.

image.php

High five from another white guy

Ryan_MSF

colin-farrell.gif

dreamfall

The density of the open world, and having many interiors to explore has me really hyped. I hope each district feels completely unique and that a lot of the interiors are unique in both appearance and layout.

SomTervo

From the Reddit impressions thread.

Shit I like:

+Map is huge and detailed. "Hundreds" of interiors.

+Enemies react appropriately to locational damage, will fall and bleed out if you don't finish them off after shooting them.

+Stealth killing is apparently very fun and brutal.

+Racism actually has very nuanced consequences. Certain interiors "whites only," varying cop reactions, etc.

+Technically solid. Frame rate is stable, not too buggy, good animations, etc.

Shit I don't like:

-Enemies are all clones of each other. Repeat very frequently.

-Factions don't seem to fight each other (cops and gangsters will work together to take you down, might change in certain districts).

-Melee weapons don't seem to be a thing at all.

-No HUD options.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mafia3/comments/55ptiv/my_amazonca_canada_preorder_arrived_early/

From looking at the map, the Bayou seems really interesting. I love the idea of getting up to vile shit in the swamps.

Brilliant, thanks for that.

Simo

Shit I like:

+Enemies react appropriately to locational damage, will fall and bleed out if you don't finish them off after shooting them.

+Racism actually has very nuanced consequences. Certain interiors "whites only," varying cop reactions, etc.

Shit I don't like:

-Factions don't seem to fight each other (cops and gangsters will work together to take you down, might change in certain districts).

-No HUD options.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mafia3/comments/55ptiv/my_amazonca_canada_preorder_arrived_early/

From looking at the map, the Bayou seems really interesting. I love the idea of getting up to vile shit in the swamps.

3 radio stations? With all that licensed music I would of hoped surfing through the tracks would of been easier via genre stations like GTA rather than all clumped in just 3 stations? Then again I haven't played the game yet so maybe it works better than it sounds.

Man is it Friday yet?! Thank god this unlocks at midnight EST and not PST.

3 radio stations? With all that licensed music I would of hoped surfing through the tracks would of been easier via genre stations like GTA rather than all clumped in just 3 stations? Then again I haven't played the game yet so maybe it works better than it sounds.

You might argue this time period offered far less genres of music.

SomTervo

I think fewer stations, but of a higher quality, is a good balance.

Plus what the person above said about the period.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No HUD options is very disappointing. Was going to turn off those arrows that tell you to turn or stop when driving as well as the regular button prompts when entering a car. Wanted to also be able to turn off the xray vision or whatever it's called (which really needs to stop being in every single fucking game).

heringer

Just noticed something, did they change Vito's design? Watched the new trailer today and he looked completely different from the reveal. Looked way better before.

The x ray vision is the reward for wire tapping an area in Mafia 3 IIRC.

You dont have to do it, but doing so will also grant other intel benefits.

The x ray vision is the reward for wire tapping an area in Mafia 3 IIRC.

You dont have to do it, but doing so will also grant other intel benefits.

Yeah but that's some Ass Creed tower crap. It reveals all of the collectibles and stuff on the map so it is practically mandatory

Yeah but that's some Ass Creed tower crap. It reveals all of the collectibles and stuff on the map so it is practically mandatory

Hmmmmmmm

I was lead to beleive that collectibles on the map revealed themselves anyway when you were within a certain proximity regardless of wire tapping.

But you could be right, and also the fact that indeed it is a powerful tool not to use.

Redlogic

Well, with this news I fully intended to keep my order through Best Buy. Weird thing is, it shipped already and it's due to arrive tomorrow (even though I'll be at work) so I intended to dive in tomorrow night. I can provide impressions if anyone is interested or maybe just stream it. Anyone else order from Best buy and have their order ship? Release date is still Friday right?

Dingo Bonecrush

Neo Member
The animations switching from one to another look rough in some of those deaths, but I just love the vibe of this game so much. Really looking forward to trying it.

Gbraga

Shit I like:

Shit I don't like:

-No HUD options.

Nice impressions. No HUD options is a bit disappointing but not that big of a deal.

I wasn't particularly worried about the stuff he mentions, though, the thing that worries me is the overall game design and flow. If it's mostly doing side activities to do damage to every district and unlock the boss fight, and repeat that a bunch of times until you have every area, I'm not so sure I'll be hooked all the way through.

Stiler

Why did they change Vito's model? In the earlier footage it ....looked like Vito (just older) now it looks quite different and doesn't look like the same character.

Drewfonse

Well, with this news I fully intended to keep my order through Best Buy. Weird thing is, it shipped already and it's due to arrive tomorrow (even though I'll be at work) so I intended to dive in tomorrow night. I can provide impressions if anyone is interested or maybe just stream it. Anyone else order from Best buy and have their order ship? Release date is still Friday right?

No stream.

I shall bask in your words. Only your words.

HiiiLife

I really feel this game will be solid. Worth one fun play through at the least. Good thing I get off work early on Friday.

ViciousDS

Banned

Hahahaha

So I'm not the only white person ready to gun down the KKK

MafiaIIIRally.gif

heringer

Watching more and more gameplay videos. Seems like a game with solid foundation, but super unpolished. The AI is absolutely terrible. In the last video posted here the player snipe a guy and the other in front of him doesn't even react, lol.

Also, police not caring about other gangsters was jarring to see because I watched a Watch Dogs 2 video yesterday were the police was chasing a couple of robbers until they actually arrested (not killed) them.

I really hope the story delivers.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Nice impressions. No HUD options is a bit disappointing but not that big of a deal.

I wasn't particularly worried about the stuff he mentions, though, the thing that worries me is the overall game design and flow. If it's mostly doing side activities to do damage to every district and unlock the boss fight, and repeat that a bunch of times until you have every area, I'm not so sure I'll be hooked all the way through.
Whoa whoa whoa, is that really how the game is?

That's not Mafia to me, that's bloated open world game design ala Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor, two games I found to be unbelievably disappointing.

Tovarisc

Whoa whoa whoa, is that really how the game is?

Yeah, that is gameplay loop for open world gameplay that takes place outside of story missions. Quite obvious from even official footage and listening devs when they promote game.

Edit: New Zealand gets to unlock game first? Time to fire up VPN on Thursday then...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yeah, that is gameplay loop for open world gameplay that takes place outside of story missions. Quite obvious from even official footage and listening devs when they promote game.
Ehhh, as long as it still has the strong narrative focused missions and isn't just like Shadow of Mordor, it should be ok.

Top Bottom