• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III DLC: Ashes of Ariandel - review thread

Ferr986

Make a thread with a poll for worst Souls game. I guarantee you DS2 would be the leader by a large margin.

There is no need. There was already polls after 3 release, and 2 was the most hated.

At the end all the games are fantastic so that's what matters.

I love DSIII, but the reviews for this seem a bit 'meh'. I think I'll wait until all of the DLC is available before I buy any, my backlog is rammed at the moment anyhoo.

MegaMelon

I doubt it'll be bad, it's just with the main game being such a huge disappointment the DLC had to really be outstanding to turn it around and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Cmon man the main game is not such a "huge dissapointment". Sure people are (understandably) mifflled with build variety, online problems and how safe the game is, but the main game is STILL far superior to the majority of games released. It's a very fair contender for GOTY. Let's cut the hyperbole please.

takriel

I will wait until both DLCs are out and then decide if it's worth it or not. I'm really burned out on Souls, jeez. No excitement left for me. How did this even happen?

TitusTroy

reviews are good but not the usual top notch scores...I think From Software made a mistake by breaking up the DLC into 2 parts...with Bloodborne the original plan was also to release 2 DLC but they changed their mind and made it into 1 big DLC...I think they realized that the first DLC would not have enough content

looks like the same thing with Ashes of Ariandel only this time From decided to keep it as 2 parts...most of the reviews I've read mention the relatively short length (especially when compared to their previous Souls/Bloodborne DLC)...will I still be able to buy the Dark Souls 3 Season Pass at a discount even after the first DLC is released?

verbatimo

I was going to pass the DLC for now, but then noticed that GMG has Season Pass for -15%.

Little over 10€ per DLC , so not too shabby.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
The Destructoid review is pretty grating read.

Criticism is fine, but the author breezes over areas that will be key to a lot of active players.

He spoils how to access it in the opening paragraph (something some players may wish to discover for themselves) and calls the "token PVP mode" menu option "unceremonious"... Serious PvPers don't need an epic intro; they just want to fight. (It's probably enough of a chore for some that they need to beat a boss in order to unlock it...)

Call me old fashioned, but I also have a pet peeve with reviewers talking like they're posting on a forum or chatting with mates. "Dope as hell"... Goodness me.

Ferr986

The Destructoid review is pretty grating read.

Criticism is fine, but the author breezes over areas that will be key to a lot of active players.

He spoils how to access it in the opening paragraph (something some players may wish to discover for themselves) and calls the "token PVP mode" menu option "unceremonious"... Serious PvPers don't need an epic intro; they just want to fight. (It's probably enough of a chore for some that they need to beat a boss in order to unlock it...)

Call me old fashioned, but I also have a pet peeve with reviewers talking like they're posting on a forum or chatting with mates. "Dope as hell"... Goodness me.

Didn't read that review, and will not do now that you say it's spoilery, but I agree 100%, I don't think anyone wants cutscene or any bullshit. Just select PvP and go straight to fight.

I also agree it should be unlocked by default. Hell I think it should be available for non DLC owners too.

Ferr986

I would say Old Hunters are 1 DLC and half into 1, not 2 . There's no way one of those DLCs only had 1 area, something had to be cut there.

Milijango

I would say Old Hunters are 1 DLC and half into 1, not 2 . There's no way one of those DLCs only had 1 area, something had to be cut there.

The idea behind that statement is that they planned two DLCs for Bloodborne, but eventually rolled them up into one larger project. They never asserted that the final version would be twice the size of past DLCs or anything.

Anyhow, the reviewer's (and Xbox One users') descriptions of Ariandel's size make it sound comparable to the Crown DLCs minus the challenge areas. Given that those were $10 each and Ariandel is $15, I do see why people are disappointed.

Now, the main boss does sound pretty interesting, but I think I'll wait on this one.

I know a lot of people don't care for the PvP aspect but it should absolutely be taken into account when valuing this DLC. It looks like a substantial addition and something PvPrs have wanted forever. I see it being largely ignored as part of the package.

I just finished wrapping up and don't really agree with reviews.

Took me about 6 hours to fully explore and learn bosses to a high level.

Areas
Its £10 worth of content, so i think the area size was fine, its very large and has 3 clearly segmented parts.
The first is pretty intense and
a better version of ds2 deer area
, the second is like
a deeper village area, where you can go in most houses.
, the third is largely just a
forbidden woods style slog
. Theres some more areas connecting and surrounding these, but they arent anything exciting really and are too short, but overall the area size was much larger than any of the ds2 dlcs and probably a similar size to AoTA.

Bosses
One is incredible, need to let my hype for it die down, but atm i think its my favorite in the series.It is incredibly successfully at doing what make the best dark souls fights amazing, in new interesting ways.

The other is pretty yawn, you'll know its coming and as a setpiece moment its cool, but as a boss "really? again? ".

Uniqueness
Apart from the one boss which is amazing, it doesn't do anything to truly separate itself from the other souls content.

I agree with the "7/10" its "just good" scores, but that one boss is "10/10".

edit: Shouldnt forget, dogshit performance. The "second area" was rivaling blight town.

After watching some gameplay: Of course the over reactions and hyperbolic comments in this thread were unwarranted as usual.
The area is almost nothing like the painted world of Ariamis outside of it being snowy and that one tower (which still isn't that similar) and the size of the area is a decent size, it's comparable to Undead Settlement in size and openness, if not larger except there's more locales within the area, for a DLC that's more focused on PvP there's a decent amount of content here, maybe not the old Hunters size but remove the living failures and the flaming cleric beast from the old Hunters and the gap wouldn't be too large considering there are really only 3 areas in that DLC. I'd say it's bigger than any singular crowns DLC with more effort put into the bosses than 6-7/9 of the crown DLC bosses.

Bersi

I just finished wrapping up and don't really agree with reviews.

Took me about 6 hours to fully explore and learn bosses to a high level.

Areas
Its £10 worth of content, so i think the area size was fine, its very large and has 3 clearly segmented parts.
The first is pretty intense and
a better version of ds2 deer area
, the second is like
a deeper village area, where you can go in most houses.
, the third is largely just a
forbidden woods style slog
. Theres some more areas connecting and surrounding these, but they arent anything exciting really and are too short, but overall the area size was much larger than any of the ds2 dlcs and probably a similar size to AoTA.

Bosses
One is incredible, need to let my hype for it die down, but atm i think its my favorite in the series.It is incredibly successfully at doing what make the best dark souls fights amazing, in new interesting ways.

The other is pretty yawn, you'll know its coming and as a setpiece moment its cool, but as a boss "really? again? ".

Uniqueness
Apart from the one boss which is amazing, it doesn't do anything to truly separate itself from the other souls content.

I agree with the "7/10" its "just good" scores, but that one boss is "10/10".

edit: Shouldnt forget, dogshit performance. The "second area" was rivaling blight town.

Thanks for the impressions, can't wait to fight that boss!

SkylineRKR

Sunken king is pretty much the best DLC ever made. I don't expect this to be that good, but the reviews do sound a tad underwhelming. Did not expect this, but will buy anyhow.

Sunken King was awesome but so was Iron King
Iron King is cool for like 3 minutes but it think the area is pretty uninteresting, especially since you already have Iron Keep. The boss is pretty bad too. I like the weird flashback part, but it's kind of ruined by tedious enemy placements. It's the most forgettable of the three DLCs as far as I'm concerned, which is to say it's still one of the best parts of Dark Souls II.

silva1991

Sunken King was awesome but so was Iron King

Sunken King >>> Iron King >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ivory

Ivory did nothing to me like the other too(terrible bossesa nd boring area to explore etc) and thought it was on a par with the main game.

I'm expecting DS3 DLC to be better than Ivory king, but inferior to the other 2 DS2 DLCs.

Artorias and Old Hunters will never be topped for me.

If Ashes of ariandel had some form of "collect em all" gimmick like the DS2 DLC's, i'm sure people wouldn't complain about length. Theres an AotA size landscape to explore, just what you find is often underwhelming.

I'd rate the DLC's OH>AotA > AoA > Iron king/Sunken king > Ivory.

Artorias > Iron > Sunken > Ivory
Liked the level design of the others more than Ivory and that blizzard area didn't do it any favours. Still a great piece of content, though.

Nerokis

Sunken King >>> Iron King >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ivory

Ivory did nothing to me like the other too(terrible bossesa nd boring area to explore etc) and thought it was on a par with the main game.

I'm expecting DS3 DLC to be better than Ivory king, but inferior to the other 2 DS2 DLCs.

Artorias and Old Hunters will never be topped for me.

Artorias > Iron > Sunken > Ivory
Liked the level design of the others more than Ivory and that blizzard area didn't do it any favours. Still a great piece of content, though.

You guys are crazy. Ivory was the best DS2 DLC by a significant margin. :p

Also, the blizzard level was straight up pleasant in comparison to the Alonne Knight level in the Iron King DLC.

Also, the blizzard level was straight up pleasant in comparison to the Alonne Knight level in the Iron King DLC.
Yeah I really liked the part where you fought one big ice cat
Then fought two!

Milijango

The Frigid Outskirts are an awesome idea and the execution is solid. But it should have been a "one and done" type deal - don't put a rehash x2 boss at the end of it with no bonfire.

I watched some stream footage of the main boss. It's definitely impressive, but $22.50 AUD is too steep right now for a game that, while enjoyable, I'm not particularly invested in.

silva1991

Surly you don't mean Frigid Outskirts right? I played probably ~ 2000 hours of souls and that's the only area I skipped, because it looked terrible and downright "not" fun lol.

Also re-skinning one boss from a main game and put it in a DLC was bad enough, but Frigid Outskirts made the impossible possible and it reskinned a boss from the same DLC........TWICE.

It's gonna be great. Guaranteed. GUAR-AN-TEED
Haven't played it but seen an entire playthrough. Its short but good, one boss is probably one of the coolest souls bosses of all time, the other is alright. Gwyndolin played and seems to rank it above all the dark souls ii dlc so. Another example of quality=/=quantity.

Wagram

That's kinda disappointing. I'll wait until the next one is out to jump in. Don't fuck up at the finish line with Souls DLC FROM.

Franchise is dead, new stuff please.

tumblr_mkoo6d3Iwp1qbper1o1_400.gif

Lux R7

Haven't played it but seen an entire playthrough. Its short but good, one boss is probably one of the coolest souls bosses of all time, the other is alright. Gwyndolin played and seems to rank it above all the dark souls ii dlc so. Another example of quality=/=quantity.

how long was that playthrough you saw? Was the player exploring or rushing?

how long was that playthrough you saw? Was the player exploring or rushing?
About two hours flat though they rushed through it, beat both bosses and only explored enough to progress through the level to reach each boss rather than search for everything. But like I said, in terms of area size, I'd say about Undead Settlement and a bit, it's not really a "small" area at all, it's bigger than any individual section in the Old Hunters, possibly about the same size as two of those areas. The player didn't look for keys, fully search any single area for anything, there were some locked doors they didn't come back to and they rushed through the first open field before the bridge. He saw 4 NPCs in that world but only spoke to each of them once so there may be side quests.

Lux R7

About two hours flat though they rushed through it, beat both bosses and only explored enough to progress through the level to reach each boss rather than search for everything. But like I said, in terms of area size, I'd say about Undead Settlement and a bit, it's not really a "small" area at all, it's bigger than any individual section in the Old Hunters, possibly about the same size as two of those areas. The player didn't look for keys, fully search any single area for anything, there were some locked doors they didn't come back to and they rushed through the first open field before the bridge. He saw 4 NPCs in that world but only spoke to each of them once so there may be side quests.

ok thanks!

Yeah I'm still waiting to hear some criticism besides "it's short." It's weird that people are so down on it when that's the only "bad" thing I've seen mentioned in this thread? Peeve seems to think highly of it based on his tweets.

Top Bottom