• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

gillty

Banned
Calantus said:
I have a Q9300(2.5ghz stock) and a 5770, and i get about 2500 on the benchmark, would overclocking my processor make it go significantly higher?

I have no stutter problems and i'd be happy to play the game the way it looked on the benchmark, as smooth as butter and graphics looked great. So i don't really care, i'd just like to know if overclocking the processor would do much.
Thats about right for the 1080p benchmark, perhaps a 100-200point increase if you OC'd

notworksafe

TheExodu5 said:
Any idea when the beta is starting? I'm in the beta and I believe the client is available to download, but I don't know when I can actually get in.
No dates/times have been announced yet. The client is available on the beta site (http://dev-na.ffxiv.com). That's also where you'll find news on when it'll be up and ready to go.

Alex

I wish I could overclock, I always heard the E8400's overclocked well but my board is not what you would call grand for it. Last time I even touched it I had to reset the CMOS just to get it to boot back up :lol
No dates/times have been announced yet. The client is available on the beta site (http://dev-na.ffxiv.com). That's also where you'll find news on when it'll be up and ready to go.

No sandbox tools I assume? That would be neat, I want to see how it runs.

Calantus

Let me in said:
What resolution? I got 2700 @ 720p with older hardware than you (Q6600, 8800GT).

1920x1080

though 1280x720 isn't much better

Valru said:
Thats about right for the 1080p benchmark, perhaps a 100-200point increase if you OC'd

thanks, the game runs smooth, i'm happy with it.

Feep

Banned
(laugh) Okay, I ran the 720p version earlier, scored a 3042.

I just ran the 1080p version, and scored a 3047.

I'm assuming that's just random variation, and my graphics card has enough memory such that a 1080p resolution is trivial. I really need to upgrade my mobo + CPU :D

Einbroch

Banned
Feep said:
(laugh) Okay, I ran the 720p version earlier, scored a 3042.

I just ran the 1080p version, and scored a 3047.

I'm assuming that's just random variation, and my graphics card has enough memory such that a 1080p resolution is trivial. I really need to upgrade my mobo + CPU :D
Same thing happened to me, you're not alone. :lol

asdad123 said:
Anyone with a 5650 mobility run this benchmark yet? Wondering if the envy 14 i have on order would run this decently.

I have a 5730 mobility and an i7 720QM plus 4GB RAM. (ASUS N61JQ-X1) Getting ~25 FPS in the benchmark at 720p (acceptable for me, as long as I can simply play the game) and scoring roughly 1850.

The benchmark is weird. I don't know what to think, and SE has stated they plan on optimizing the game further. The minimum specs for the beta they posted don't line up with bench results at all.

Based on my results alone, assuming the bench is accurate (it's not) I would be hesitant with a 5650. But based on my own thoughts, I'd say you'll be able to run the game, if your only priority is to simply be able to play on low settings. If I were you I'd take that money and spend it on building a desktop that'll run the game a lot better for the same price, but mobility is nice to have if you need it for school or work or whatever.

Brain stew would give you a much better idea, but he can't be in every PC thread at once. :lol

asdad123

HappyBivouac said:
I have a 5730 mobility and an i7 720QM plus 4GB RAM. (ASUS N61JQ-X1) Getting ~25 FPS in the benchmark at 720p (acceptable for me, as long as I can simply play the game) and scoring roughly 1850.

The benchmark is weird. I don't know what to think, and SE has stated they plan on optimizing the game further. The minimum specs for the beta they posted don't line up with bench results at all.

Based on my results alone, assuming the bench is accurate (it's not) I would be hesitant with a 5650. But based on my own thoughts, I'd say you'll be able to run the game, if your only priority is to simply be able to play on low settings. If I were you I'd take that money and spend it on building a desktop that'll run the game a lot better for the same price, but mobility is nice to have if you need it for school or work or whatever.

Brain stew would give you a much better idea, but he can't be in every PC thread at once. :lol

I know I should build a PC for playing games, but playing this on the laptop isnt really a requirement, just a plus for when I'm bored in class lol.

Reallink

asdad123 said:
Anyone with a 5650 mobility run this benchmark yet? Wondering if the envy 14 i have on order would run this decently.

To give you a step below asdad, I barely break 1400's on Low with a 720qm + 1GB GT230M (OC'ed Core/Shader to 675/1485 Vs. 500/1100 stock. I'm assuming stock is under clocked for power savings and to give the 240M a reason to exist.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
New Tanaka interview:

Full interview here. (french)

Bits on the beta.

Tanaka : The alpha test was very useful, it helped us to test the stability of the servers and we were able to adapt in the meantime. But in fact, we will have several phases of beta testing. In the first phase, we have a version that will incorporate feedback from our alpha testers who will, hopefully available this week. At first, it will resemble the alpha test phase, in the sense that each test session lasted four hours.

But if things go well, the beta 2 will follow shortly, which will allow players to access the game 24 hours 24. Then, hopefully, by early August, we will open the beta test phase 3 which will remain operational until the game launches

JeuxOnLine: It will be open?

Tanaka: No, closed.

JeuxOnLine: There will be no open beta?

Tanaka: After Phase 3 of the beta, we have an open beta will be available just before the release of the game, but we can not guarantee this last phase opened.

Jinko

I'm guna be a little annoyed if I don't get into the beta at some point, damn it, I deserve to be there :lol

I googled "building a cheap gaming rig Canada" and this is the first link I got: lol

Yea and notice post 5, too bad nobody took the time to correct him about hyperthreading.

LowParry

Jinko said:
I'm guna be a little annoyed if I don't get into the beta at some point, damn it, I deserve to be there :lol

Chances are, you'll be paying to get in. Ala: Buy yearly gaming sub. -readies to sub-

Actually, does anyone have the link to the budget gaming rig thread on Gaf? I can search for it but the search results are blocked at work... weird.

Thanks.

LowParry

Amneisac said:
Has there been information about yearly sub / lifetime sub discounts?

Not that I know of. I wish they would however let us do something like that did in EQ2 where you could create your character before the actual game was released. Character creation client where you could save it before launch.

Amneisac

Yeah, this is probably the only MMO I can think of that I'd pay between $200-300 for a lifetime sub. Of course, I haven't even played it yet.

HappyBivouac said:
Huh? Source for that info?

I certainly hope it's true.

EARLY ACCESS – Play 8 days prior to the release of the Standard Edition
BEHIND-THE-SCENES DVD – Get an insider look at the making of FINAL FANTASY XIV with exclusive video content, interviews and more in this special documentary DVD
SECURITY TOKEN – A FINAL FANTASY XIV branded Security Token used in addition to your regular password
TRAVEL JOURNAL – Record your travels in this beautifully bound journal filled with pages of never-before-seen concept art
RIGHT OF PASSAGE – Redeem a voucher to receive your fully personalized right of passage certificate, each stamped with a unique serial number
FREE GAMEPLAY – Free gameplay for 30 days
BUDDY PASS – Invite a friend to play free for a limited time
GAME DISC
GAME MANUAL

From

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78364

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DoctorWho said:
I googled "building a cheap gaming rig Canada" and this is the first link I got: lol
http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11174214

Pick a mobo (Gigabyte), pick an Hard drive, pick a case + power supply.

2e30qhl.jpg

Well I'm claiming someone's buddy pass right now then! :lol

I'm not sure if I' ready to jump into something like this fully quite yet, but a a short free trial will certainly help make my mind up.

I'm thinking of drawing up a new set of budget configs (for Canada/US/UK if I have time) in the next few days specifically for FF14 and Starcraft 2 as I know these two releases have a lot of people clamouring for new rigs. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

Until then, Tech Report's guide is the best on the net imo:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19159

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Shouta said:
Hmm, pre-ordering the English LE and shipping it to me in Japan is gonna cost 100 dollars. I guess I'll have to just bite the bullet. :lol =(

UPS express? Well you have the Export Fees problem. :( For me to Spain is 75 Pounds and is like 95€

Jinko

Shouta said:
Hmm, pre-ordering the English LE and shipping it to me in Japan is gonna cost 100 dollars. I guess I'll have to just bite the bullet. =(

Get someone to buy it for you that you trust, get them to email the registration details/cd keys etc over and download a torrented version. :p (im sure it will be on the net a few days before release)

He can then send the hard copy at a later date.

You save money and get to play it sooner.

Edit:- would be nice if SE offered a Direct 2 Download option.

Moobabe

brain_stew said:
I'm thinking of drawing up a new set of budget configs (for Canada/US/UK if I have time) in the next few days specifically for FF14 and Starcraft 2 as I know these two releases have a lot of people clamouring for new rigs. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.
]

That would be amazing - I have about £600 saved up for a new PC specifically for those 2 games.

I just got an e-mail from SE to pre-order.

Makes it sound like the goggles are regular edition only and onion helm is CE only? Thought CE got both :(

Kaldea

Yeah, I was wondering about the goggles myself. I would have expected the Collector's Edition to have both items.

I preordered the CE anyway though. :D

Jinko

Nope CE only gets the onion helm, Tanaka said as much at the recent show in France.

He also said the goggles have a charge on them and that the average player will quickly replaced either item during the leveling process, as there will be much better options avalible.

demonkaze

So my laptop played Aion fine on decent settings however it struggled a little bit with the Alpha (but still playable, just) and i got a really low score on the benchmark, wondering if this is gonna be playable on my laptop at all?

I got a moderate score running the benchmark at 720, but for it to be 100% I'd probably have to make some considerable cuts to the visuals. This will probably be the game to make me finally build a new PC, kinda like XI did years ago.

Calantus said:
I have a Q9300(2.5ghz stock) and a 5770, and i get about 2500 on the benchmark, would overclocking my processor make it go significantly higher?

I have no stutter problems and i'd be happy to play the game the way it looked on the benchmark, as smooth as butter and graphics looked great. So i don't really care, i'd just like to know if overclocking the processor would do much.

I upgraded to a 5770 OC'd to 960/1360 and I'm running an X4 260 OC'd to 3.125 and I get 2751@1080p and 3626@720p and both are smooth as silk. OCing will help but it won't work any miracles.

Teknoman

I really hope XIV doesnt fall into the rut XI has at times where a certain class because "useless". Then again, the way the stat system and armory system is supposed to work, as well as better exp options...maybe we wont have to worry about that.

Calantus

Teknoman said:
I really hope XIV doesnt fall into the rut XI has at times where a certain class because "useless". Then again, the way the stat system and armory system is supposed to work, as well as better exp options...maybe we wont have to worry about that.

Doesn't seem like there are that many classes from the start, so i don't think there will be much of that going on, in the beginning at least.

Teknoman said:

It's bound to happen. Will also happen when someone with a particular class builds it to his liking but it's not the most efficient thing out there.

Kronotech

Teknoman said:

It definitely looks like they spread the abilities fairly to the fighters this time around. The thing I don't understand is the harvester classes. Who wants to bring a Blacksmith into battle? Although I haven't been paying too much attention to that, I believe I remember them stating that craftsmen classes could battle... but why? What benefit would they provide?

Calantus

Kronotech said:
It definitely looks like they spread the abilities fairly to the fighters this time around. The thing I don't understand is the harvester classes. Who wants to bring a Blacksmith into battle? Although I haven't been paying too much attention to that, I believe I remember them stating that craftsmen classes could battle... but why? What benefit would they provide?

i just thought they were just professions and not real classes.

Zomba13

Kronotech said:
Armour and Weapon repair while on the field, Pretty sure they might also have buffs of some kinds (might be mistaken though) like boosting a weapons attack or armours defence. That would be for blacksmith though. Not sure about the harvesters.

Doodlebug

From the official site, regarding the role of the blacksmith:

Blacksmithing techniques are capable of weakening enemies constructed of metal, as well as discovering loot that would otherwise be overlooked by the untrained eye.

Salaadin

Kronotech said:

From Eorzapedia:
Blacksmithing techniques are capable of weakening enemies constructed of metal, as well as discovering loot that would otherwise be overlooked by the untrained eye.

Blacksmiths provide an edge to themselves and others by ensuring that weapons are always kept in optimal condition.

They sound like the handiest ones to have around. I dont understand how Harvesters, Culinarians, Alchemists, etc will be handy to have for battle. Outside of battle, we will need their food and ingredients and potions.

Thats probably why we can change jobs at any time. Now downtime between battles will be spent job swapping to replenish items and weapons, restock on food, etc instead of having to run back to the AH and grab something from the AH which only wastes more time.

Sure, a lot of this was possible in FFXI....you had your craft and your job. But not everyone wanted to level a craft because of how boring it was and how much time and gil had to be lost in order to see any type of return. Perhaps now that you can level a craft by actually levelling the job in battle, or doing quests as that job for XP to enhance the craft, itll be much more popular.

I kinda expect there to be job specific quests for the craftsmen (similar to campaign ops) that you can do at each guild to gain XP for that craft. At least thats what Im hoping for.

Anyone that has experience with this.

Am I silly/stupid for thinking I'll regret getting an i5750 for this instead of splurging on the i7930? And using the ~$250 in savings and put some of it towards a better video card?

Top Bottom