• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSMB Wii is the best-selling home console game in Japan since Super Mario Bros.

donny2112

Pre-1996 Data (shipments)
Post 1996 using Famitsu data

Top 5 home console games since 1996 (Famitsu):

1. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 3,894,356 (Through July 4, 2010)
2. [PS1] Dragon Quest VII (Enix) - 3,893,293
3. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 3,634,806 (Through March 28, 2010)
4. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 3,560,889 (Through March 28, 2010)
5. [PS2] Dragon Quest VIII (Square-Enix) - 3,555,469

Pre-1996 Top 5 home console games (shipped):

1. [FC/NES] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 6.81m
2. [FC/NES] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - 3.84m
3. [SFC/SNES] Super Mario Kart (Nintendo) - 3.82m
4. [FC/NES] Dragon Quest III (Enix) - 3.77m
5. [SFC/SNES] Super Mario World (Nintendo) - 3.55m

WIINSMBWii_large.jpg

Beth Cyra

I knew it was going to do it for a while now, but god I still find it amazing that it was able to.

I do have to wonder just how high it could reach if Nintendo released a greatest hits version or something around the start of next year.

That's good to hear. It's a really fun game. And this may sound blasphemous, but IMO, I love it more than the SMG games.

I'd love to see a New Super Mario Bros. Wii2. Yeah it's milking but I don't mind since it's so good.

And it will probably crawl up to 4 million :p It is a pretty good game, though. And SMG2 didn't even cross a million and won't be doing it =(

TreIII

Goooooooood. Now hopefully that just means that Ninty has all the more incentive to keep delivering on that + more, as well as seeing to it that others follow suit.

I'm hoping that DKC Returns and Kirby: Epic Yarn may have what it takes to do well in their own right.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Very nice. It only seems right that Super Mario Bros. would be the sales successor to Super Mario Bros. Nintendo knows how to keep the quality going.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I still havent really played the game yet but if this shows anything it is that people still want to play a great 2D platformer so hopefully DKC and Kirby can at least get a quarter of the sales.

Alex

It's a really fun platformer, big step above the DS one. Though I was really let down by the multiplayer. It wasn't even up to snuff with the barrage of quick toss in co-ops like in the shooters, let alone up to my wants with really meaningful/mechanic heavy co-op :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Alex said:
It's a really fun platformer, big step above the DS one. Though I was really let down by the multiplayer. It wasn't even up to snuff with the barrage of quick toss in co-ops like in the shooters, let alone up to my wants with really meaningful/mechanic heavy co-op :(

You are really trying hard on this being wrong thing. Fantastic!

Wow lol, this is awesome, it truly was, in my playthrough of the game, the best mario game since Super Mario 64, it is a well deserved achievement, and lol it is a game that all Wii owners need.

1. [FC/NES] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 6.81m
2. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 3,894,356 (Through July 4, 2010)
3. [PS1] Dragon Quest VII (Enix) - 3,893,293
4. [FC/NES] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - 3.84m
5. [SFC/SNES] Super Mario Kart (Nintendo) - 3.82m
6. [FC/NES] Dragon Quest III (Enix) - 3.77m
7. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 3,634,806 (Through March 28, 2010)
8. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 3,560,889 (Through March 28, 2010)
9. [PS2] Dragon Quest VIII (Square-Enix) - 3,555,469
10. [SFC/SNES] Super Mario World (Nintendo) - 3.55m

Oh my goodness :O

donny2112

Fredescu said:
Out of interest, where does it place when handheld games are included?

Using Famitsu's way of tracking (e.g. Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow is counted as one game), #12.

1. [GBOY] Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 10,077,166
2. [GBOY] Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - > 7,801,616
3. [FC/NES] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 6.81m (shipped)
4. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 5,838,753 (Through June 20, 2010)
5. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 5,767,283 (Through March 28, 2010)
6. [GBA] Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 5,337,045
7. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 5,134,724 (Through March 28, 2010)
8. [NDS] Brain Training 2 (Nintendo) - 5,050,713 (Through March 28, 2010)
9. [GBOY] Tetris (Nintendo) - 4.24m (shipped)
10. [GBOY] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - 4.19m (shipped)
11. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square-Enix) - 4,150,667 (Through March 28, 2010)
12. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 3,894,356 (Through July 4, 2010)

Ranger X

This is totally deserved.

This is the best 2D Mario game ever made. Yup, even slightly better than Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros 3. It deserves all sales it possibly can have imo.

Beth Cyra

donny2112 said:
Using Famitsu's way of tracking (e.g. Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow is counted as one game), #12.

5. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 5,767,283 (Through March 28, 2010)
7. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 5,134,724 (Through March 28, 2010)
11. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square-Enix) - 4,150,667 (Through March 28, 2010)
12. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 3,894,356 (Through July 4, 2010)

Damn Pokemon with the top 4, then finally another game (by Nintendo of all people) only to have the next two be Pokemon as well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So only a single one of the top 12 best selling games in Japan was not Published by Nintendo, and all 12 were published by Nintendo in NA :lol

When I first saw NSMBWii I was pretty let down. After playing it, though, it's one of my favorite Mario games. I liked it better than both Galaxy games and I think it rivals the quality of the old 2D NES games. Great game, and it genuinely deserves the sales.

legend166

Alex said:

I think it's one of the best implementations of co-op I've ever seen.

Beth Cyra

bon said:
Super Mario Kart outsold Mario World? What is up with that?

Really shouldn't be that shocking, after all Mario Kart has crushed Galaxy 1 and will have 2 by the time 2 has finished selling.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's all about Super Mario Bros & Dragon Quest in Japan. I'm surprised somehow (of course, excluding the DS which pooped over the home consoles selling numbers).

Osuwari

donny2112 said:

i find it unfair for pokemon RS and DP that the older games have the 3rd version counted for their totals but theirs aren't included.

cvxfreak

Apparently the Mario hierarchy is 2D Mario > Mario Kart > 3D Mario.

3D Mario gets the short end of the stick in Japan, where even Mario Party > 3D Mario. :lol

Heh, I'm currently playing it for the first time. Jumped on it right after beating Galaxy (for the first time as well) this afternoon. World 3.

I wasn't too impressed at the beginning, but I'm slowly warming up to it.

cvxfreak

Osuwari said:
i find it unfair for pokemon RS and DP that the older games have the 3rd version counted for their totals but theirs aren't included.

No list is perfect. Even a game like Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G will never rank very high because it's spread across three high-selling SKUs. :(

donny2112

Osuwari said:

If you were to combine the current Famitsu totals for those ...

[NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - 8,306,714
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald - 7,485,084

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Vic said:
It's all about Super Mario Bros & Dragon Quest in Japan. I'm surprised somehow (of course, excluding the DS which pooped over the home consoles selling numbers).

something something Pokeymanz something

legend166

SilverLunar said:
I won't be surprised if Kirby Epic Yarn actually outsell Both Mario Galaxies (not combined).

Not in a million years.

Kirby would be considered an epic success if it sells 5 million copies.

That's just over half of Super Mario Galaxy 1.

That was a lot of commas.

boiled goose

good with gravy
legend166 said:
Not in a million years.

That was a lot of commas.

guessing he means japan only.

I think kirby is the most popular traditional nintendo franchise in japan after smash and mario.

bon

legend166 said:
Not in a million years.

That's worldwide though. We're talking Japanese sales, and I think Galaxy 1 just barely hit 1 million in Japan.

mutsu

RockmanWhore said:
I hope Nintendo won't stop making 3D Mario games. The New Super Mario games are nice, but not Mario Galaxy nice :/

I support this. I am having so much more fun with SMG2 than NSMB Wii.

Top Bottom