• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Shutter Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousefb

So I finally got a chance to see this tonight on demand, and WOW what an excellent movie. I pretty much figured out the twist before it was revealed but the movie was so well done that it took nothing away from the experience. Martin Scorsese is my favorite director, Goodfellas is my favorite movie, Shutter island is not his best imo but it's one hell of a great movie!
Superb cast and an amazing soundtrack as well definitely brought this movie to life.

Really one of the most satisfying movie I've seen in a while, with a lot of movies recently not living up to the hype after viewing, this one definitely blew me away and I can see myself watching it again.

So GAF what did you think of Shutter Island?

Sh1ner

loved it, definitley requires multiple viewings. I caught so much the second time I missed the first time. I need to buy this on bluray as soon as.

I was a little disappointed. I liked the book but the movie failed a little. But the movie was not bad. Just not as good as I hoped.

Yousefb

PuppetSlave said:
I was a little disappointed. I liked the book but the movie failed a little. But the movie was not bad. Just not as good as I hoped.
Could you elaborate on what you didn't like, if there's anything specific ?

not trying to be mean or anything really just curious :p

Tron 2.0

Sh1ner said:
loved it, definitley requires multiple viewings. I caught so much the second time I missed the first time. I need to buy this on bluray as soon as.
This is exactly the opposite for me. It didn't work the same for me on a second viewing. It's an amazing looking movie, and I like it, but it's good not great.

Chaser

I'd say my biggest disappointment with the film was that I was never as emotionally involved in the character or his story as much as I should have been.

However, it was a still a thought-provoking film, with some absolutely beautiful cinematography throughout.

I saw it two nights ago.
Loved it.
The scenery, the acting, and the soundtrack were all amazing.
Now I cant wait to see DiCaprio in Inception :D

Yousefb said:
Could you elaborate on what you didn't like, if there's anything specific ?

not trying to be mean or anything really just curious :p

It's kinda unfair to the movie since I had "impossible" expectations really but...

The pacing felt slow sometimes and rushed at other times. I don't know, it's hard to explain. It just gave a feeling. Maybe I should watch it again and try to judge it more on it's own merit.

Yousefb

Darklord said:
Is it worth watching if the ending was spoiled for you? I came across some idiot saying the twist a while ago.
You should definitely see it anyway, a few people including myself figured out the twist early on in the movie but like I said it didn't take away from the experience.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:
Is it worth watching if the ending was spoiled for you? I came across some idiot saying the twist a while ago.
well, you'd have seen the twist coming from roughly 20 mins into the movie anyway.

it's still an entertaining watch. very beautiful, if nothing else.

Maybe I'm just a cynical bastard, but I thought the cheese level was through the roof. At least the production values are there I guess, but I couldn't get over how hokey the writing and acting were, to say nothing of the hopelessly predictable twist.

Yeah, yeah. Haters gonna hate and all that.

Amazing Movie, but
it was kinda predictable, due to Martin scorsese track record of having twists in his films. I was expecting the twist at the end of it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I liked it quite a lot, and appreciated the intentional production errors (objects disappearing, ties changing their pattern, noticeable switches of color filters, etc.) that helped giving an unsettling vibe to the movie
and were also justified by the plot

Duki

Banned
great fucking movie

you only realise how good the script is the second time through, nearly every damn line has a double meaning

Yousefb

Jocchan said:
I liked it quite a lot, and appreciated the intentional production errors (objects disappearing, ties changing their pattern, noticeable switches of color filters, etc.) that helped giving an unsettling vibe to the movie
and were also justified by the plot

didn't notice the tie thing, I'll look out for it next time. But as for objects disappearing,
I thought I saw the woman they interrogated (the "normal" one who axed her husband I believe) drink out of an invisible cup of water
but no one else seemed to notice or mention it so I though it could be my eyes playing tricks on me late at night :p, did I see that right?

Good movie, I even noticed the "things" at the beginning of the movie to get my gears working. Maybe i'm paranoid or have seen to many flicks.

Duki

Banned
Yousefb said:
didn't notice the tie thing, I'll look out for it next time. But as for objects disappearing,
I thought I saw the woman they interrogated (the "normal" one who axed her husband I believe) drink out of an invisible cup of water
but no one else seemed to notice or mention it so I though it could be my eyes playing tricks on me late at night :p, did I see that right?
you did.

shit like that happens throughout the movie.

faridmon

Very dissapoining, IMO, the best part of it was DiCaprios acting and the mystery detective parts. Other than that, it was a mess. Also, I thought the end twist was weak and not carefully thought.

But thats my opinion, Hopefully Inception is awsome.

Rez said:
well, you'd have seen the twist coming from roughly 20 mins into the movie anyway.

it's still an entertaining watch. very beautiful, if nothing else.

If you saw the twist coming that early into the movie I doubt you're talking about the real twist.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I was fairly sure that
Leo was the Patient
from pretty damn early on.

Rez said:
I was fairly sure that
Leo was the Patient
from pretty damn early on.

The actual twist is at the very end, Leo gives a speech to the doctor that pretended to be his partner that reveals he is actually still sane, but would rather get a lobotomy than have to live with the memory of what happened to his wife and kids.

owlbeak

I wanted to like this movie...but I knew what the ending was going to be after the first five minutes and then spent the rest of the painfully long movie waiting for DiCaprio to figure it out.

If it was maybe a half hour shorter, it would have been a lot better. Too many long, drawn out, useless scenes.

Cinematography was stunning. I like the way the movie was put together--kind of get the feeling Scorsese had a lot of fun making it.

It's ruined by the third act/exposition, but the acting was great as well.

Probably the greatest accomplishment of the film was
that you feel like you're sharing Leo's madness...which makes the "reveal" all the more disappointing and unbelievable. You WANT to believe there is a conspiracy

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
rainking187 said:
The actual twist is at the very end, Leo gives a speech to the doctor that pretended to be his partner that reveals he is actually still sane, but would rather get a lobotomy than have to live with the memory of what happened to his wife and kids.
well, that wasn't quite as cut and dry as you make it seem. it was kind of an ambiguous stinger to end the flick on following the actual twist.

Solo

I think its the least engaging and most forgettable of the four DiCaprio/Scorsese efforts. Its pretty to look at, but it never got its hooks into me in any fashion.

Korey

Mediocre movie.

Also has several parts where it intentionally tricks the audience, making the ending weaker than it could have been.

rainking187 said:

That's not a twist.

Yousefb

Mr. Snrub said:
Probably the greatest accomplishment of the film was
that you feel like you're sharing Leo's madness...which makes the "reveal" all the more disappointing and unbelievable. You WANT to believe there is a conspiracy

EXACTLY, Mr. Snrub you described it perfectly sir.

Fatalah

rainking187 said:

Is that right?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Honestly, you can guess the twist from the commercials. Knowing it doesn't ruin the movie in any way.

I really don't think the ending was meant to be ambiguous in any way - I was shocked when I finally saw the movie that people actually spent time discussing the ending, I figured it would open ended and frustrating but it was actually very clearly cut and dry for anyone paying even a little attention.

I kind of hated the whole
EDWARD DANIELS = ANDREW LAEDDIS
thing though... I mean, come on. When even the Harry Potter series has done it - you shouldn't bother with the
anagram
puzzles.

effzee

Fatalah said:
Is that right?

Well I don't know if it counts as a "twist" but that is the ending.

I just watched it for the first time this past weekend. Loved it. I think I liked it better than Gangs of NY in terms of the 4 movies these two have teamed up to do.

dave is ok said:
I kind of hated the whole
EDWARD DANIELS = ANDREW LAEDDIS
thing though... I mean, come on. When even the Harry Potter series has done it - you shouldn't bother with the
anagram
puzzles.

Yeah, that was weaksauce.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Fatalah said:
Is that right?

Yes, that's the way I interpreted it anyway. And that's the real twist in my opinion. The twist that is most talked about is pretty obvious and you can see it coming from a mile away. I LOVED the last 10 minutes of this movie... I really didn't see the real twist coming and made the whole thing so sad.

jett

D-Member
My least liked Scorsese movie of the 21st century. The obvious twist makes most of the movie worthless.

Kozak

Banned
commish said:
Definitely not what I got from the book.

Thats cause the line in the movie doesn't exist in the book (thats what the people in the official thread said anyway)

Great movie with great acting. I was glued to the screen from start to end partly thanks to the amazing music!

jett said:
My least liked Scorsese movie of the 21st century. The obvious twist makes most of the movie worthless.

Just watch up until the Buffalo Bill car ride and then turn it off.
Although I loved Leo's performance in the "real" flashback...except for the NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Not his fault, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom