• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best praise I can give FFXV is that outside of the story it isn't a half bad game, pretty decent even, but the story soured me on the rest and FUCK YOU PROMPTO YOU FUCK STOP FUCKING DYING STAY THE FUCK AWAY YOU SCRAWNY BITCH.

The best praise I can give FFXV is that outside of the story it isn't a half bad game, pretty decent even, but the story soured me on the rest and FUCK YOU PROMPTO YOU FUCK STOP FUCKING DYING STAY THE FUCK AWAY YOU SCRAWNY BITCH.

I can't understand the complaint about Prompto some people have tbh. I gave the guy two amulets: one that gave him a huge buff to his health and another that gave him a huge buff to his defense. All done. The one character that died on me the most was actually Gladio, since he would always be aggroing on enemies. Prompto was the "invincibility frames" master for me, I'd get 1 bar of Tech and I'd instantly trigger Pierce. That other one that was 2 bars, the Gravitational Pull or whatever was beast for taking care of huge mobs also.

I feel like I played a different game from everyone else lol. Either that or I just got extremely lucky for the game not falling apart in the same areas where it did to everyone else? Idk.

Like I said in the OT, and said many times here about anime as well, this game just served to solidify the fact that I should listen less to others and try more things for myself. Again, back to Chapter 13, I was expecting soooo much worse.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 12

Stop telling your plans to the audience. That ensures it's destined for failure. I'm glad that Iok is living. He has been a wonderful source of comic relief, and will probably continue to do so. Julieta's exasperated face is precious. Weird that Vidar decided to just reveal his identity. Did he want to spook McGillis? Yamagi sure looks happy. Ride is one lucky kid. The Mobile Armor certainly lives up to its reputation. Invincible from long range, and up close it kicks everyone's ass. McGillis seems to be losing a lot this season.

Burbeting

Banned
Starting to feel I'm going to drop watching all television anime, and move to only watch movies. Any recommendations outside of Ghibli/Hosoda, both of which I really like?

Today I saw:

Only Yesterday/Omoide Poro Poro

What a relaxed, pleasant film to watch. Even though the chilhood scenes of the protagonist happen in 1960's tokyo, it was still easily relatable to my own years in elementary school. The story doesn't have any real conflict, but it's just an enjoyable piece of following the protagonist reflecting on her life, and decisions of the future. The ending, while beautiful, felt a little forced. Few of the dialogue scenes also felt maybe overly too long (especially the first dialogue scene Takeo and Toshiro have in the car). But still, just overall really big joy to watch.

Narag

Starting to feel I'm going to drop watching all television anime, and move to only watch movies. Any recommendations outside of Ghibli/Hosoda, both of which I really like?

Oshii films and Sword of the Stranger immediately come to mind. Possibly the old Sanrio stuff too back when they were emulating Disney.

phaze

Today I saw:

What a relaxed, pleasant film to watch. Even though the chilhood scenes of the protagonist happen in 1960's tokyo, it was still easily relatable to my own years in elementary school. The story doesn't have any real conflict, but it's just an enjoyable piece of following the protagonist reflecting on her life, and decisions of the future. The ending, while beautiful, felt a little forced. Few of the dialogue scenes also felt maybe overly too long (especially the first dialogue scene Takeo and Toshiro have in the car). But still, just overall really big joy to watch.

Mind Game from Yuasa.
Satoshi Kon's filmography is very well regarded.

Digimon adventure the movie
Digimon our war game
Sword of the stranger
Project Itoh Empire of corpses

Are some of my favorites

I also really like the Eva rebuilds, but that's more divisive.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Poco's Udon World Episode 11

Poco's so adorable.

That ending omg. Are we going to find out the stream was cut due to internet problems?

Shergal

Today I saw:

Hey the ending is amazing!

If you are interested in a somewhat underappreciated film with a similar tone/scope as Only Yesterday I'd suggest Junkers Come Here.

Show By Rock!!# Episode 12 – My Song is YOU!! END
Cz-cnrsXcAEZb1-.jpg:small

Loved everyone singing together and also I never get tired of Victorius's song about Justice is everything.

Ill miss Arcareafact the most, best new addition to the SB69 universe.

Szadek

Finished Fukigen na Mononokean.
I have nothing much to add to my last post
The anime is alright, it has a few bright spots and doesn't have any huge flaws,but in genrals it's pretty meh.
Well, except for the monster designs ,as they are super cute, and the look of the underword,which is very trippy.
6/10

blurr

Today I saw:

Almost all of the conversations/flashbacks in that film held my consistent interest but I think one of my favorites was the one on her inability to do fractions and then there's the one on her school play. Oh god, this brings back memories I have to rewatch.

Narag

Mob Psycho 100 9

The ridiculous shows of force by Mob this ep has me slightly worried he's on the path he's been trying to avoid thus far even if he has good intentions in saving Ritsu. Reigen's been conspicuously absent during this (save for the vase scene) which makes me wonder if he's Mob's moral compass as the ED hints at a sense of guardianship on his behalf.

Shergal

Only Yesterday is interesting to look at in light of the recent talks about what makes a good adaptation; the original manga consists solely of the (supposedly autobiographical) childhood segments told as dispersed vignettes. It's a reminiscence. Takahata added the entire framing narrative of adult Taeko himself, effectively changing the core of the story and making it a film about reminiscence. Does that entail a bad adaptation of the source material? Or does the extra meaning and context just help making the stories work better, like adding other forms of content can do to other stories?

Finished Fukigen na Mononokean.
I have nothing much to add to my last post
The anime is alright, it has a few bright spots and doesn't have any huge flaws,but in genrals it's pretty meh.
Well, except for the monster designs ,as they are super cute, and the look of the underword,which is very trippy.
6/10

Sad, its like one of the most heartfelt and touching anime this year :(

Finally finished up all the posts about anime locations I visited while in Tokyo:

I climbed Mount Takao, just like they did in Encouragement of Climb:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/encouragement-of-climb-mount-takao.html
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/encouragement-of-climb-yakuo-in-temple.html
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/encouragement-of-climb-takao-peak.html
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/encouragement-of-climb-takao-descend.html

Some minor Locodol, Your Lie in April and Oreimo locations:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/locodol-yukaris-apartment.html
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/your-lie-in-april-lilia-hall.html
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/your-lie-in-april-koremasa-bridge.html
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/oreimo-amusement-arcade.html

And I checked out some more Kinmoza places:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/kinmoza-tsudanuma-station.html
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/kinmoza-amusement-arcade.html
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/kinmoza-morisia-mall.html

I also went to the Suginami Animation Museum:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.no/2016/12/suginami-animation-museum.html

A Love Live Sunshine 'museum':
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/gamers-akihabara-love-live-sunshine.html

And a P.A. Works exhibition in Toyama:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2016/12/omoshiroibako-exhibition.html

More posts about places in Chubu later, including a visit to the place seen in AnimeGAF's favourite anime ;P

Cornbread78

Magical Girl Raising Project/ END
I'm ok with that ending, but why didn't
Ripple heal
? The show definately delivered with magical girls in despair and fighting to the death, but the storu telling was a little off and by the time each character died it was difficult to feel anything for them. Was an entertaining watch though..

Articalys

I think I must have over 50 shows in my backlog from about the last two years of TV anime. Almost makes me want to not even bother trying to catch up and just pick a new hobby or something.

What's the absolute best stuff that would still be worth checking out?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Magical Girl Raising Project/ END
I'm ok with that ending, but why didn't
Ripple heal
? The show definately delivered with magical girls in despair and fighting to the death, but the storu telling was a little off and by the time each character died it was difficult to feel anything for them. Was an entertaining watch though..
person loses arm. pan from magic empty sleeve to body that has no damage to it. person comes back with no arm. ???????????
The entire story makes zero sense but the ending makes less than zero sense. Now they fight terrorists or something? Okay? What..............................

3-gatsu no Lion - 10

The person he should be defending himself against is his sister not yelling into the either against the poor sod who gave up on their craft.

Gundam the Origin IV

I love all the gratuitous character animation in Origin. Well, I shouldn't say gratuitous, as all the rotation cuts and elaborate motion help create the sensation of larger-than-life melodrama that sells this story as a grand epic. The ship attack in the harbor as Char was meeting up with Lalah was a good piece of 2D mechanical animation; I hope future episodes have more like that now that Imanishi has departed the project. I'm still not fond of Sunrise D.I.D.'s CG work, especially their explosions and other effects.

Szadek

person loses arm. pan from magic empty sleeve to body that has no damage to it. person comes back with no arm. ???????????
I noticed that as well. Just put it onto the pile of things that will never be explained.
Sad, its like one of the most heartfelt and touching anime this year :(
Like I said, it has a few good moments (like episode 1 and 10), but very often it's only alright.

Only Yesterday is interesting to look at in light of the recent talks about what makes a good adaptation; the original manga consists solely of the (supposedly autobiographical) childhood segments told as dispersed vignettes. It's a reminiscence. Takahata added the entire framing narrative of adult Taeko himself, effectively changing the core of the story and making it a film about reminiscence. Does that entail a bad adaptation of the source material? Or does the extra meaning and context just help making the stories work better, like adding other forms of content can do to other stories?

I of course don't think those were bad decisions. However, it's interesting to contrast how Takahata handled Only Yesterday with his subsequent adaptation of My Neighbors the Yamadas, which completely embraces the episodic vignette nature of the source material and doesn't try to create a single narrative throughline. I wonder if Takahata has talked anywhere about why he chose the different approaches with these two films.

Sterok

The entire story makes zero sense but the ending makes less than zero sense. Now they fight terrorists or something? Okay? What..............................

It seems that as long as you live, anything that affects one body does not affect the other. So Ripple as a magical girl lost an arm and eye, but her regular self would still have them just fine. We saw this earlier with La Pucelle. Despite taking a vicious beating from Cranberry, when he transformed back into a human he seemed perfectly healthy right up until he got hit by a car.

As for the ending, I guess it's basically Snow White resolving to not be useless, so she's doing big actions that will help the most people and stopping the bad guys. A weird jump, but at least she's doing something. I think she plays a role in the sequel if that ever gets animated.

Thoraxes

Sound! Euphonium 2 - Episode 11

title-copy1wqj0.png

Previous S2 Eupho review(s):
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05 Part 1 and Part 2
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08
Episode 09
Episode 10

I ended up making a blog as a unified location for all these Eupho writeups (cause it's hard to keep track of 13 posts for many people), so if you want a single place to check for these posts, or an easy way to refer people to them, they're at https://thoraxes.wordpress.com/
Also a link to the neogaf post with the URLs for all 13 Season 1 episodes is here.

010wpap.png

- Stiff speech by Asuka, as Hashimoto pointed out, heh. The way she countered him at the end was fun.

- Reina is still pretty cold and distant right now. Obviously because of the Taki wife picture. At least Kumiko is on to her. It's weird when a friend avoids you, especially at a time like this. Midori's glee when asking if it was a fight, lol. Same with the dating.

1hlpyw.png

- Asuka is practicing her solo from the piece. Natsuki also really took this whole sitation like a champ. To see her be so amicable, and want Asuka to be the one to play is a really mature move. I like their relationship.

2d1r9b.png
3zno9o.png

- Also I just want to thank whoever has done all these water-drinking cuts for this season and the last. I don't know why I love them, but I just do.

4n9ppa.png

- Midori's plan is flawless... Except uh, she failed, haha. Kumiko's reaction to being flat-out shut down was fun. I had a friend that acted like Reina once, and it took me a looooooong time to figure out what the heck actually happened.

- Looks like Mamiko is gone from the house for good now.

- Reina finally called her out. I guess she's ready to talk about the Taki stuff. Girl drama. Cute sweater. The way Reina says she's angry made me laugh, because it's something only someone with her demeanor can say so monotone but still know that it's 100% true. If this is about the Taki stuff, maybe this means that she investigated and found out that Kumiko knew, but didn't tell her? I guess that would make a lot of sense. Kumiko did it from a good place, but I understand Reina's disposition here too. I love the way the trees are swaying in the background during this last moment of silence.

597q8v.png

- Oh wow, the cut away from Reina yelling is awesome. The way she just finally burst. Here it is, about Taki's wife. She knew Kumiko knew too. Dang. Reina sure went a little crazy with reacting to the news about her crush, but being that young, having those feelings, and not knowing how to act when you have them is just part of growing up. That even someone like the cool and collected Reina can have an outburst like that shows that not even she is immune to emotional growing pains. Kumiko dropping the bomb about Taki's wife being dead, and Reina's reaction is sad here too. "I'm rooting for you."

6snq82.png
726od8.png

- Ahhhhh, little Reina with the ribbon is so cute. I can understand the other girl's frustration here, haha. I too didn't have a piano at home so I always had to practice at the music building, heh. It's nice to see that Reina always appeared low-energy on the outside for anything that wasn't related to music. This is kind of a neat conversation between Reina and Taki at the bridge, about music. You can see he encourages her playing even back then. If i had to guess, Taki's wife was a trumpet player too maybe? Hence the weirdness of the end of that scene. She took it as gratitude and affection, while he was trying to rid hiumself of something that reminded him of something painful.

8oqodp.png
9ldofc.png

- It's even affecting her playing. Her sound is losing its force. Yuko trying to cheer her up is fun. Just the way she comes in and tries to help. Haha.

- Ah, she saw he wasn't wearing the ring. Also, this is unusually forward for Reina. Also unusually open for Taki too. Reina wanting to know what his wife was like, makes sense, and I wonder if Taki would've told anyone else that much, if they asked. The story about his wife is such a shame. His motivations for concert band are good too. One minor thing I like about the visuals in this scene that other shows don't do, is that they let Taki's glasses arms obscure his eyes from the side-profile.

- Kumiko is right, to an extent. Though Reina seems like the kind of person who wants to know the stuff she knows would hurt her most, so she can fight her own feelings head-on.

- If Kumiko says her sound got even better, than that makes sense. Since Reina is a strong person, her getting over something ambiguous in her life and coming out ahead only makes sense.

- Bikes!

10e1qp5.png

- Visiting her grave? I guess she's come to pay her respects. Since she likes Taki so much, it kind of seems weird (from a western perspective anyways), but at the same time you could take the gesture as a kind of thanks for making Taki who he is. That was a nice thing she said.

- Ah, she's playing the piece she got from Taki that day long ago at the same spot. Good trumpet fingering animation, and all spot-on. A neat thing about the last four notes is the focus on movement of a 4th. The main notes are the first and last one of the small phrase, from G to C, a perfect 4th. Usually, that sort of sound on a solo trumpet evokes the connotation of Taps to me, the song typically played for fallen soldiers. Since that piece is so old, the connotations what it stands for have permeated lots of part writing over the years, and while not as popular as the dies irae, it has the same mindspace.

11yaqca.png

A nice episode that finally showed Reina coming to terms with her feelings for Taki. Though I don't think she'll give up, it's nice that all the baggage finally got out into the open... well, except for Reina telling Taki her feelings, but i'm pretty sure he figured that out, haha. Part of me felt a little like this episode would've been better coming before the resolution of Asuka's stuff, since it took two episodes and felt a little more fleshed out as a result. That all said, this episode made me wish to know more about Taki and Reina's parents a little more too. I want to know more about the history of the band program of North Uji.

Now that all of the current plot threads are tackled, I hope we get back to the instruments soon! I wanna write about that again!

Szadek

It seems that as long as you live, anything that affects one body does not affect the other. So Ripple as a magical girl lost an arm and eye, but her regular self would still have them just fine. We saw this earlier with La Pucelle. Despite taking a vicious beating from Cranberry, when he transformed back into a human he seemed perfectly healthy right up until he got hit by a car.
It probably is just a massive continuity error.

Cornbread78

Yes, she's thirsty alright...

Occultic;Nine ep.11
Now everything is in place to take on the "evil" scheme and things finally make sense. I really want to see how they take out the
Odd Eye
. Where did the
time travel
concept go though? I guess it was debunked by the other detective, so there is no way thet can
come back alive then
?

phaze

So, as a mecha masochist, that's a win in your book, right?

Hey, it's not my fault you can't enjoy even the good ones !

I'm not a huge Mecha guy nor do I know that much about Fafner, but it can't possibly be worse than Aldnoah. There's best, there's worst and then there's A.Z

About the only thing I'd grant it over Aldnoah is that the core story is more thought out and logical. Maybe music too but I don't really remember enough of AZ's OST to make that call.

Gundam IBO has this problem where it feels like, not all, but a lot of episodes end just as they're about to get awesome.

Case in point, this week's episode...
...ends right after showing us this.

Come on show, quit kissing just the tip...

phaze

[ F/Z endgame spoilers ]

O, I guess that explains it because I haven't watched Stay Night yet.

I thought overall Fate/Zero was really great in many ways, but the last two or so episodes were so bizarre that it kinda lost me. I read some wiki stuff but I'm still not sure what is even going on. I'll just spoiler-tag the entire thing.

The premise alone is confusing to me. If there's a secret tournament over a wish-granting Grail every few years, how come the world isn't altered in any way? This was the 4th Grail War, so what happened to the wishes of the previous 3? .
I think it was spelled out in UBW that all previous wars
ended without a winner.

How come nobody knows about this?
The entire magus society is supposed to be secret as I understand it. This is just an extension of that.
And the church moderates and judges, but also doublecrosses everyone by taking part and even assassinating people.[
It should be noted that Kirei went far outside his mandate in the latter stages of war. But yes church is an interested party and as spelled out wanted Tohsaka family to win it.
Who set up this tournament anyway? Who regulates this? At one moment there seem to be a ton of rules, and the next all rules are out the window and it's basically a free-for-all with people backstabbing each other left and right.

At the start I expected a proper tournament-style war, so I was kinda confused when most of it was ad-hoc battles in the streets.
Well the church tries to but as seen, it didn't work all that well. Though ad-hoc battles were always part of the equation I think.

So the Grail is omnipotent but can only provide solutions based on the winner's knowledge
. Again - how does no one know this? How does the grail take form from Irisviel when she is part of one of the competing families?

Kiritsugu wins allegedly, but chooses to destroy the Grail, basically destroying the entire city and killing almost everyone. I guess his plan backfired? How did Gilgamesh also get his wish granted by getting a physical body even though he and his master lost, and how did Kirei become immortal [or undead, I'm not sure]. t

This reminds me my very own question when I finished F/Z. lol And to most I don't yet have answers.
1. Yes Kiritsugu plan doesn't succeed as he wanted it.
2. I think it's spelled out that the thing pouring out of Grail made Gilgamesh like that. Don't ask me more lol
3. Kirei is basically the same. I think there is an explanation given at the end there that after Kiritsugu rejected Grail, it turned to Kirei to grant his wish, and all that destruction was basically it.
And is Saber in limbo or something?

Something like it yeah. Never understood the specifics.
This may sound overly nitpicky, but like I said I really enjoyed this show quite a bit, I just want to understand it better. There are a lot of good characters and it looked awesome as well. I hope Stay Night has more Gilgamesh because I enjoyed his stuff the mos

Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works has plenty of Gilgamesh in its latter half. Be warned however that it's a stepdown in basically every field outside of action. Your mileage will vary. And watch the TV series by Ufotable not the older movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom