• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Alucrid

Banned
If panties are the censorship tipping point in a Yoko Taro game, the world truly is a lost cause.

whatever works in japan but i expect games coming westward to cater to me western sensibilities. whether that be nier automatica or phoenix wright. localization was the sole reason why i bought star ocean v and i'm holding nier automatica to that same standard. my finger is going to be hovering over the cancel preorder button as we proceed through the new year.

LotusHD

Banned
Lol these dudes with the panties gifs are gonna be so mad when the game gets censored.

Omg wtf why -- our freedoms; why are we being persecuted!?

Hmm... I wonder.

2B's attire certainly isn't a hill anyone should want to die on, but damn, didn't think people would want it to be censored.

JaseMath

bLO8366.gif

pZTtzGG.gif

Oh my god

Kusagari

whatever works in japan but i expect games coming westward to cater to me western sensibilities. whether that be nier automatica or phoenix wright. localization was the sole reason why i bought star ocean v and i'm holding nier automatica to that same standard. my finger is going to be hovering over the cancel preorder button as we proceed through the new year.

This has to be a joke.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
whatever works in japan but i expect games coming westward to cater to my western sensibilities. whether that be nier automatica or phoenix wright. localization was the sole reason why i bought star ocean v and i'm holding nier automatica to that same standard. my finger is going to be hovering over the cancel preorder button as we proceed through the new year.

In that case, you can cancel right now.

My assumption is that they just made a single demo with all languages available instead of making several demos for different regions. Maybe? Would be nice though.
Platinum does this with a lot of their full games so I wouldn't be surprised if JP release came with full English too.

Zomba13

So if something like Phoenix Wright kept it as being set in Japan instead of some weird American city that is strangely in love with Japanese culture and architecture then you would never have bought one?

sensui-tomo

its a japanese game like the others, just press the cancel preorder button. we had kaine dressed like she did in nier, all the characters of drakengard 3 being the way they were(and thats a more recent game than nier ) If panty shots offend you to the point where you'd cancel a game, this game will more than likely offend you in other ways due to your western sensibilities.

Zolo

In that case, you can cancel right now.

Yeah. I do think it'd be a good idea to include an alt-costume with the game at least, so that people don't have to buy dlc for an alt-costume that covers more

I'm assuming we're getting dlc costumes for easy money like Drakengard 3 anyway.

MCD

Absolutely haram.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
2B's attire certainly isn't a hill anyone should want to die on, but damn, didn't think people would want it to be censored.
I don't want anything censored, but I don't really care either. I'm just saying, the folks who get all worked up over censorship, and then post those gifs and such, Idk seems counterproductive.

ironcreed

Banned
If they censor this game, then I'll import the Japanese version. No need to punish everyone because of the people that get offended by a little skin.

Ran rp

the dodge spam is real

edit: i still want to know what sunhi's doing to those gifs. the games never look that smooth.

wmlk

Gonna download this tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm if there are more than the 4/5 enemy types we've been seeing over and over again in the footage? I'm not expecting much in a demo, but I'm seeing the same dudes again in the gifs.

Zomba13

I never though this would be the character people would get up in arms over regarding the clothing. I mean, yeah, she is wearing a dress and doing badass flashy combos in it and she has the gall (or the designers have the gall) to not wear tights or pants, but c'mon. You will get panty shots if you go looking for them which is sadly the reality of any character in any game wearing a skirt.

I think she looks classy as fuck.

People should probably be aware this is a character in this game so they can prepare to cancel their preorders:

farisr

Okay, I think I got what's making me nostalgic.

The music is great and has an old/classic RPG feel to me
And while the camera pulling out 2d sidrescroll style would obviously be reminiscent of those, it doing that plus the general aesthetic/colors of the area are reminding me of running between the struts in MGS2

raven777

Gonna download this tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm if there are more than the 4/5 enemy types we've been seeing over and over again in the footage? I'm not expecting much in a demo, but I'm seeing the same dudes again in the gifs.

don't expect much enemy type from the demo. It has only the ones we have seen from before.

sensui-tomo

I never though this would be the character people would get up in arms over regarding the clothing. I mean, yeah, she is wearing a dress and doing badass flashy combos in it and she has the gall (or the designers have the gall) to not wear tights or pants, but c'mon. You will get panty shots if you go looking for them which is sadly the reality of any character in any game wearing a skirt.

People should probably be aware this is a character in this game so they can prepare to cancel their preorders:

ESRB states we have
: This is an action game in which players assume the role of androids attempting to save Earth from extraterrestrial machines. Players use swords, spears, lances, and lasers to destroy enemy robots in melee-style combat. Large explosions and realistic gunfire are frequently heard during combat. Some sequences depict blood and additional acts of violence against human-like characters: a man impaled through the chest with a sword, resulting in large blood-splatter effects; character lying in pools of blood after getting stabbed. Some characters wear revealing outfits with partially exposed buttocks; one male character is depicted nude (without genitalia). The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
How do I access the settings screen - in-game or start menu?

Demo is absolutely incredible.

Edit: after you select difficulty, it's second option in the next menu.

Zolo

This looks like you'll get plenty of them without looking for them unlike games where you may have needed to adjust the camera in a particular way.

Being able to deliberately angle the camera so you can look up her skirt is, well, disgusting.
I mean....aside from a different costume, what would be the solution to that in this game other than purposely making the area shadowy or other means. It's kinda difficult not to be able to angle the camera like that in a game where you can jump around anyway.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
For people who are playing the demo right now: Does this game seem to be a Platinum action game or is it more of an action-RPG? I haven't played the original NieR, but my understanding was that it was an RPG.

sensui-tomo

Being able to deliberately angle the camera so you can look up her skirt is, well, disgusting.

Nobody likes censorship, but stuff like this needs to stop.

Isnt this on the player, not the game (unlike bayonetta's thing where it forced that angle)
You dont need stuff like this to stop, you need it to happen to the other sex more often and get people desensitized to the damn stuff already (just to make clear I AM NOT ENDORSING POSTING THIS STUFF ON GAF... its against the rules)

Alucrid

Banned

well that's not true at all. the enterprising folks over at sega figured out a great workaround for that problem.

8qgWx4Wl.png

i fail to see why platinum games couldn't incorporate the same feature into nier automatica

Top Bottom