• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 set to release on November 2nd [S-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrklaw said:
Will DLC be based on the disc or logged in account? My standard PSN account is a US one but I had been expecting to buy the UK version

The DLC wont be on the Disc, it will be codes you have to activate through the store (the european store in this case) then if you play the game on your american account you wont be able to use any of the DLC cars, add the fact that if they add any DLC in the future you will have to buy it from the european store and still wont be able to use it on your main account.

eso76

Psychotext said:
That's concerning... what was wrong with it? (I never got around to trying mine)

well, it was useable but the game didn't even recognize it as a wheel (which disabled a number of options) and if i'm not mistaken you couldn't use clutch and it was sequential gearshift only.
Edit: actually, wait, maybe the problem was you couldn't use the wheel in 900° mode.
Heh, it was one or more of those anyway, not sure now.

I didn't follow closely (i was late downloading Academy and demo expired quite soon) so maybe Fanatec themselves solved the problem via firmware upgrade, if that's even possible, dunno.

torontoml

the clutch wasn't supported for the G25 either in the TT, they did that so everyone would be on equal footing for those using a wheel.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
kyo_daikun said:
The DLC wont be on the Disc, it will be codes you have to activate through the store (the european store in this case) then if you play the game on your american account you wont be able to use any of the DLC cars, add the fact that if they add any DLC in the future you will have to buy it from the european store and still wont be able to use it on your main account.
So for download heavy stuff I should probably import?

eso76 said:
well, it was useable but the game didn't even recognize it as a wheel (which disabled a number of options) and if i'm not mistaken you couldn't use clutch and it was sequential gearshift only.
Edit: actually, wait, maybe the problem was you couldn't use the wheel in 900° mode.

I didn't follow closely (i was late downloading Academy and demo expired quite soon) so maybe Fanatec themselves solved the problem via firmware upgrade, if that's even possible, dunno.

will there be clutch support for g27?

Yoritomo

eso76 said:

You must be referring to the Porsche Turbo NON-S wheel.

The Porsche Turbo S worked fine in 900 degree mode. The newest firmware additionally allows you to adjust linearity and deadzone from the wheel itself, so you can get rid of the really silly back and forth vibration when going straight. Wheels with very small (G27) or absolutely 0 (Fanatec belt driven wheels) deadzone were adversely affected by the very poorly implemented force feedback "speed" effect in the GT5 prologues/time trial etc.

CozMick

Banned
Picking up a Driving Force GT tomorrow (On sale at Argos :p)

What's the build quality like?

The only experience I've had with steering wheels is the 360 MS wheel and after buying it new and having one race it felt bloody awful, loose and poorly made and feeling like it was a year old :(

Thanks.

CozMick said:

It's the best you're going to get at the price that it costs. The FF is near G25 levels. The build quality of course isn't as great as a G25/7, but that's to be expected since there's a $150 price gap between them. But it's the wheel the Polyphony tests GT5 on.

spats

CozMick said:

The only experience I've had with steering wheels is the 360 MS wheel and after buying it new and having one race it felt bloody awful, loose and poorly made and feeling like it was a year old :(

Thanks.

Quality is great for the price. Break pedal has atleast some resistance but the gas pedal is pretty flabby. You get used to it. FF gets no complaints.

-viper-

Banned
CozMick said:

Thanks.
How much are you getting it from Argos?

-viper-

Banned
CozMick said:
£79.99.

The best in-store price I've seen and it's just down the road.
It was like £59.99 on Amazon a few months ago. I'm going to wait for the price to drop. Maybe it'll happen during the release of GT5.

CozMick

Banned
-viper- said:
It was like £59.99 on Amazon a few months ago. I'm going to wait for the price to drop. Maybe it'll happen during the release of GT5.

For some reason I'm expecting the price to be bumped UP closer to release, it's currently £86 on amazon, which is the highest it's been for ages.

But then again I want it now so it's actually cheaper to buy in-store which is strange.

-viper-

Banned
CozMick said:
For some reason I'm expecting the price to be bumped UP closer to release, it's currently £86 on amazon, which is the highest it's been for ages.

But then again I want it now so it's actually cheaper to buy in-store which is strange.
I'm guessing they bumped the price because there is little demand, so they want to maximise profits.

androvsky

kyo_daikun said:

That's a bit surprising. Yes, I know you have to match the region of the DLC and the game (generally), but I've never heard of properly matched DLC not working when playing it on an account for another region.

It looks like the people that were saying that the NASCAR vehicles in the GT5 beta take a lot of damage were right

Before
30tklf9.png

After
2cpc41i.png

Before
240ztz7.png

After
29ffdw4.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92mDRnjgwmc

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

OMG! WTF?! :lol

How the heck they want a human to dodge the curve when you barely have a chance to notice you have a curve right away! That is bullshit, but funny. :lol

I think the damage looks amazing and acceptable/expected for GT. If I want my car to look demolished I will play Burnout, but for GT in which you aren't playing to crash I think that damage is enough.

-DarKaoZ- said:
OMG! WTF?! :lol

How the heck they want a human to dodge the curve when you barely have a chance to notice you have a curve right away! That is bullshit, but funny. :lol

The demo had weird loading issues. Sometimes entire sections of the track would pop in or disappear and then you have this where the game doesn't load until you're about to ram a wall.

Zaptruder

Banned
spats said:
I think it looks good. It's not Destruction Derby but GT, and that's more than I could've hoped for.

It's getting better, but it's not exactly panels falling off, cars crumpled shit that you'd get in real life.

I just want a damage system commensurate with the accuracy of the rest of the simulation.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The demo had weird loading issues. Sometimes entire sections of the track would pop in or disappear and then you have this where the game doesn't load until you're about to ram a wall.

Well it's just a Beta, but is still hilarious. :lol

Hopefully the full game will have installation to avoid such thing from happening.

Juicy Bob

Yoboman said:
How?

Sounds like you're just nitpicking

Take, for example, the above video when they crash into the outside barrier of Turn 2, the car just stops dead. There's no ricochet or rebound off the wall. All the car's momentum just...stops. That's not realistic to me. Granted, they're deliberately crashing and you usually wouldn't have that impact by accident, but what about hitting other cars? Do they just 'bounce' off each other like they always have done as well?

spats

I wonder if PD has had Mark Cerny and the Ice team go through the code at any point, or if Kaz wants to keep everything internal.

Juicy Bob said:
Take, for example, the above video when they crash into the outside barrier of Turn 2, the car just stops dead. There's no ricochet or rebound off the wall. All the car's momentum just...stops. That's not realistic to me. Granted, they're deliberately crashing and you usually wouldn't have that impact by accident, but what about hitting other cars? Do they just 'bounce' off each other like they always have done as well?

Yes, this is also my main concern too. It looks like the gravity is set to infinity. I can live with the damage levels shown in the video and I don't need to see cars flip over in every corner, but the walls seem to absorb all momentum. I am curious to see what actually goes on just when the video fades out at the very end.

No45

androvsky said:
That's a bit surprising. Yes, I know you have to match the region of the DLC and the game (generally), but I've never heard of properly matched DLC not working when playing it on an account for another region.
That's my experience as well. As long as the account that bought the DLC is active on the consoles you should be fine.

The bumper car physics don't really exist anymore from the videos i've seen where someone hits into another car. Kaz had specifically mentioned that it was one of the things that would be worked out before the game was released.

Yoboman

Juicy Bob said:
My net is slow right now so I can't load that video but I have seen videos where the car bounces realistically off other cars and barriers, and occasionally it stops dead when hitting the barrier head on. I think the thing missing there is the entire car crumpling in the front, I don't know if bouncing away like a pinball is always what would happen

It was bullshit because Kaz said a long time ago that they weren't going to do damage to that level. He just said that it would be significant.

spats

jakonovski said:
You think Polyphony leaves out features in their demos to fool consumers into thinking the game is worse than it really is? :lol

They may have to leave stuff out because it's not final code and there may be memory leaks.

edit:
Better brace for a disappointment then. Hype is a fickle mistress.
lol

Seems that damage vid has the same problem as some of the other damage vids. The damaged parts don't move around at all at high speeds... it just looks wrong. There's even points there where the damaged front bumper clips through the ground without anything happening.

But as I've said before, there's still time (and no indication that this is the final version of the damage) so I'm not going to judge it based on this.

spats

Motherfucker should've went all leetspeek: 5()|_| |_ 0|\| |) 15p|_/-\y

I like the all-caps SUFFOCATE in the lower right corner better, I feel like suffocating after seeing the winner.

offshore

The name MajanoX will be credited in the special thanks section of "Gran Turismo 5"

I think I'd rather have my proper name in the credits. Still, cool thing to put on the CV.

Gash track name, though. I suppose I should have known that sucking up to PD in the track description is what I should have done :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom