• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I believe you, I truly do. But the manga was going nowhere for a good bunch of months. On the bigger scale of things maybe that wouldn't really matter. Let's say the series got 6 chapters of politics. Doesn't seem like a lot, but then there is the fact that it released monthly. That's 6 months of just that, without much action. When you put it in that light, I think it's easy to assess why folks such as myself bailed the fuck out. There was no indication of this political arc going anywhere and it was just too long.

I dropped the manga like, a year or even more ago? And I remember you saying recently they just reached the basement. Take that in lol.

Yeah, AoT is much better when you can just binge read a whole bunch of chapters at once. I've dropped it during those politics parts as well and only recently caught up. I binged 20-something chapters at once and it was pretty good throughout - then you stop and realize that that was 2 years worth of content and... yeah I can see how reading it monthly would be frustrating.

John Blade

I know this is an Anime Gaf and not a game topic here but just got myself World of Final Fantasy during the flash sale. Liking it so far and manage to be in Chapter 2 right now. Only issue I have is the long cinematic scene which basically give you a very limited time playing but make sense in Chapter 1 where it try to teach you the game. Will continue to play it a bit. Still looking at sales right now on vita and 3ds games right now.

No, I agree, it was fucking boring. A lot of it wasn't even like, interesting politics, it felt like delay tactics to not move the story forward too quickly. The author just isn't as good at writing drama or thriller elements as he is in writing action and surprises. But unfortunately he also structured the story such that all the political stuff turns out to be really important thematically, and are essential information to allow the audience to fully comprehend what the story is trying to do when it does reveal everything in the damn basement.

Lol. I'm just saying there's really no way they can cut it out in an adaptation unless they don't plan on adapting the entire manga.

I love AoT you know, so I hope this really translates better on screen. Heck my favourite show of all time was Hyouka and there was 0 action. I can live without big set pieces, if the development and storytelling is compelling enough. On a weekly format it'll be easier to recall events that happened prior. I had that problem with the AoT manga too, in which they would name drop some character or some event from 2-3 chapters ago and I wouldn't even remember them since it had been so long between chapter releases.

Here's hoping for the best. Visuals look great as they did in S1, I'm sure the OST will kick ass too. All of these elements will probably make for a better product.

Yeah, AoT is much better when you can just binge read a whole bunch of chapters at once. I've dropped it during those politics parts as well and only recently caught up. I binged 20-something chapters at once and it was pretty good throughout - then you stop and realize that that was 2 years worth of content and... yeah I can see how reading it monthly would be frustrating.
!!!!

Well fuck. I may have dropped this manga way longer ago than I thought then. I had to be well over a year ago for sure.

Oh and to comment on the AoT PV, yeah looks lit. HOWEVER... They showed everything up to the point where I dropped the manga because of how boring it got. So either they go 1-cour, put this stuff out and call it a day, or it will be a 2-cour in which the first few episodes are basically what was shown on the PV and the rest is just boring politics all the way through until I don't know where (did not have the will to keep going).

Who knows, maybe the weekly format will actually help it's case. It was tough to be excited for the AoT manga when it only came out monthly, and all you got was politics and dialogue. On a weekly basis and animated maybe it wouldn't be so bad?

Politics and dialogue. The worst enemies of a fiction story!

Politics and dialogue. The worst enemies of a fiction story!
Not really, if done well. In AoTs case it was plain awful and kept going, and going, and going... Eventually, if you made a product that has this crazy cool concept for non-stop action with a tinge of horror and grotesque in there, and all you get is (according to the post prior to this) 2 years of characters just blabbering... Well fuck lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How many anime would be made better by: "And then politics happened..." instead of actual anime politics?

Kansoku

Sölf;227134175 said:
After the very bad and confusing first episode, did Occultic;Nine become better? I did watch the second one and thought it was a bit better, but still pretty strange.

IMO, yeah. But then again, I had no problem with episode 1 and I like this kind of stuff, so who am I to say that =P. O;9 is my favorite from this season after all (Along with WWW.Working, 3gatsu and Fune wo Amu).

Whats an MPB?

Música Popular Brasileira

Not really, if done well. In AoTs case it was plain awful and kept going, and going, and going... Eventually, if you made a product that has this crazy cool concept for non-stop action with a tinge of horror and grotesque in there, and all you get is blabbering for (according to the post prior to this) 2 years of characters just blabbering... Well fuck lol.

But AoT was never a concept of "non-stop action". Are you confusing it with another series?

I thought the 'politics arc' (that term is funny, it isn't like it consist of people sitting in a table debating for hours) was decent-ish. It wasn't Isayama strong point but for what it was is was well done. It established well how it the setting is built, with the monarchy, the upper classes, the paper of the military, the worries of the low class, how they live looking at the other side, the state repression was well represented, making all a bit more believable, and also was an interesting change of pace.

Wow 2nd fav Bpro got a good official Bday art, help. THRIVE is the best
C0bpLmTUAAEQr8B.jpg:small

Line_HTX

Is it bad that I don't find important sections that have politics in them boring? Sometimes I don't think those things in IBO S1 are a chore to watch. And yes, while I don't like monthly releases of the AoT manga and stopped for a long while, I didn't think they were super excruciating and unnecessary. That's not to say the execution was good, it was really bad, I'll give it that. It's just I don't want something with all action all the time. It makes it not dynamic and have little variety. Gotta have some forms of breaks.

Occultic;Nine 12 (End)
2Jd15wv.jpg

Fuck you.
The whole mutual recognition reminded me so much of shared recognition and real-booting from Chaos;Head. In general, I felt a lot of concepts, twists, themes, and general atmosphere were lifted from C;H, which would probably explain why I enjoyed this a lot. Hopefully Chaos;Child can capture the same feeling, even with only 12 episodes from a much longer source.

A bit rushed overall, with a few plot threads just dropped by the ending in favor of the main one. Since the VN was announced with multiple routes, I guess they just chose to handle them all separately, so I guess I'll just hope for it to be localized. Can't say I'm fond of the idea, but the main plot was handled well enough and was fun throughout.

Occultic;Nine Episode 12 END

Seemed like they needed one more episode to really close things TBH, because it felt like they just rushed everything out and some stuff is just left unaddressed (what happened to cfvanguard boy or even what was the plot line with the artist or what the detective was after? Avelines fate is unclear and then Gamons is really unclear
cold sleep awakening in the future maybe?

Enjoyable and intriguing each week but probably is better as a LN.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Poke SM 7:
Why can't Ash just catch pokemon like a normal fucking trainer? Why does he have to go around rescuing adoptees?

Litten
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Thoraxes

Sound! Euphonium 2 - Episode 12

20dylze.png

Previous S2 Eupho review(s):
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05 Part 1 and Part 2
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08
Episode 09
Episode 10
Episode 11

I ended up making a blog as a unified location for all these Eupho writeups (cause it's hard to keep track of 13 posts for many people), so if you want a single place to check for these posts, or an easy way to refer people to them, they're at https://thoraxes.wordpress.com/
Also a link to the neogaf post with the URLs for all 13 Season 1 episodes is here.

11115jxyp.png

- I like that they went as far as to even put French on the lacquer polish bottle. That thing is insanely detailed for such a quick shot like that! And awwww at Kumiko buzzing a scale at such a young age.

- Kind of a throwback to the other episode, it's neat that Mizore/Nozomi are in a better place this time. Also, 2D buses?

1inaxn.png

- Asuka pulling Kumiko's fluff is pretty funny. I love all these close-up shots of everyone getting ready. Since they're doing a dress-rehearsal on the stage, I wonder what the time slots look like for something like this. Everyone needs a chance to get used to the hall.

-All those little games they're playing add a bunch of life to the scene. As for lights out, she took off her ribbon for sleep! It's also just funny seeing everyone's stuff. Like people charging their phones, ribbons, a hair straightener, a tuba-kun pillow!!!!

237yz3.png
361xn8.png

- With Kumiko sneaking out, it's a good thing they don't tape the doors. Shuichi bumped into her. Nice present. It's also the first time he managed to hold a real conversation that we've seen in the series too, heh. She seems to like the present.

4mcy81.png

- I love how awe-struck Midori is. It's really cool seeing the other schools.

- Taki is always so good at these speeches. I love that Haruka put herself out there to get everyone pumped up too. She was always so afraid of speaking like that before. Even Asuka's tone is different too.

51ilgw.png

- Regarding Mizore, I wonder just how long she spent making that reed if it's her best. Probably a VERY long time. The art of reed making is something many players spend a TON of time on. The reason she keeps it in her mouth at all times before they go out is because they dry out fast, and oboes/double-reeds need them to be wet at all times. If you ever see a bassoon or oboe player with like 6 pill bottles in their bag, it's likely each one has a reed in it! Seeing her reach out to Kumiko for a fist-bump is too good.

6gty3i.png

- Asuka knows Aoi is there. Mamiko is there too? Nice.

- Ah man, it's a bummer that they skipped the performance ;_;
I get why they did it, especially considering how much time they spent getting Crescent Moon Dance completed over the course of two anime seasons and a movie (and the performance visually would've mostly been just a repeat of episode 5), but boy does it kill the momentum to skip it. It was a buildup to what could've been such a good moment, but I can't help but wonder what it'd have been like to see the actual, final performance in the competitions. I was also kind of hoping that we'd see the first piece get a completed/updated animation too. I figured since the movie did most of the grunt work with bring that to life, they'd fix/add like they did with Crescent Moon Dance. Ah man. Almost makes me wish they saved the episode 5 stuff for this episode instead, where it'd fit better, because that was one heck of an accomplishment.
Maybe I can wrongly get my hopes up for a second movie where they don't have to worry about air time?

- Reina is alone, Nozmi and Mizore are happy together, and Midori's collection habits are frightening (but I totally get her mindset, haha). It would be cool to go to a kind of event like this and be able to buy the CDs.

791yyu.png

- The senior trio looks happy/relieved too. The band era of their high school life is done, and I understand their mindset. At the same time, it's incredibly sad too the way they mention no longer being president and vice president. When you're in a position like that with a group like this, it's definitely a bittersweet moment that really reminds me of the moments like that which i've experienced in the past. Asuka just seems so happy too.

8nqxxs.png
102ryaq.png
115ozee.png

- Oh wow, the conductors are up there right now. Haha, they don't know what to say. What are they gonna say? AHHHH REINAAAAAAA HAHA. She truly is the most fearless person. What guts. AND THEN HER AFTER REACTION IS TOO CUTE. EVERYONE THOUGHT SHE WAS JUST COVERING FOR THEM. Haha, what a fun moment.

12axlqr.png
13auxvk.png
15ryzsd.png

- Midori is late to the party!

- Uh oh, they don't look too happy. Dang, Nationals are ruthless if they got bronze. At least they got there and they got to have the experience of being there! They'll keep getting better each year with someone like Taki as their adviser!

- Taki please. Have some delicacy, haha. To hear him speak like he did though, he's coming from an honest place, and despite the meaning of what Reina said going everyone's heads, you can tell that it really did mean a lot to him. OH SHE SAID IT AGAIN. REINA FEARS NOTHING, NOT EVEN HER OWN FEELINGS. Taki is a master deflector, haha. You know he knows what's up, but he is just an expert at dodging it. I love how everyone finally realized what she meant when she yelled it indoors and their faces.

17pazgy.png
18oklz9.png

- Each of the teachers congratulating their sections, with even Matsumoto getting emotional about Haruka haha. Seeing her cold exterior get shed away like this is always fun to see, much like at the end of each of their performances, though she didn't show that to the students those times!

1995zo9.png

- Asuka is passing the torch to Natsuki.

- Hazuki is feeling down about losing. I like Midori's enthusiasm. It'd be cool to see if Hazuki makes the group next year, or if they have a piece that would allow her in to play. Kumiko looking for her sister says a lot about where their relationship is now too.

- Oh wow. Taki comes over nonchalantly dropping that name. Does he know his relation to Asuka? Oh god this line. "I'm glad you kept at it all this time. You sounded beautiful." ;_; Asuka's reaction is so good.

20dylze.png

- This moment is hard to watch where she's saying her goodbye. I remember my last high school concert too. On the inside I felt like Haruka, while on the outside I maintained Asuka's demeanor, heh. I like how she's looking towards the future and helping them be encouraged for the future.

- Ah Kumiko, run! It was funny watching her get stonewalled at the door while those people were coming in.

- ;_; This moment is too good. Kumiko finally came full-circle on her love for concert band too. When you consider where Kumiko was at the first episode of the first season, and where she is now, it's been a heck of a year for her.

21y9l2u.png
22suycc.png

Really good episode, minus the omission of the actual performance! The lack of that didn't really give the same kind of post-performance rush atmosphere like episode 5 did. That said, I like how everyone reached their new comfortable places, and all have matured appropriately. All the development they've had over this season finally culminated in a lot of people coming to terms with their issues, discovering who they are, and discovering what they love. Seeing those changes through a lens i'm all too familiar with has been quite enjoyable. I really like all these little elegant ends to all the plot threads. That all said, I wonder how they're going to close this all out. I haven't forgotten about the cold open at the beginning of this season!

UtaPri Legend Star Episode 13 END

Another awesome conclusion to the season, I liked the STARISH song but I definitely loved Legend Star much better, everyone was so happy and I was so happy and its always amazing when they do these UtaPri themes in the concert versions, I cant just not smile and sing along to it (listened to Legend Star so much since the CD was released, its so good).

Ittoki Otoya and Eiichi Otori are the true stars

Aki-at

Occultic:Nine - End

For me an almost great conclusion for a show that did exceptionally well at hinting, dropping clues and foreshadowing (And the moment when
Gamon was consumed by flames I immediately recognised it and loved it!)
The highlight of the episode was definitely the comradeship the six shared when saying farewell to Gamon. I honestly wonder if the
final part with the metal doors with Yuta's name on it
might be resolved in a future sequel/light novel. It seems to have still left some questions in the air regarding the future of the world. But still how the episode concluded just felt so rushed (Though I guess that's par the course for the series) and it felt like a few scenes where just cut out. It wasn't enough to distract from what was otherwise a enjoyable series with some good visuals and characters. 7

Girlish Number - 11

Man I was getting so upset for Chitose that I'm glad my favourite two faced back chatting cow has regained her confidence. Everyone in the group also talking about how much of a horrible person she is made me chuckle and then Yae coming out with how much of an enormous idiot she is, truly the blackest heart.

Glad to see Gojo back to his old self too.

phaze

I binged the entire politics arc and didn't mind it really, it's the current arc that is an awful drag to me. Again, maybe just because i'm reading it monthly.

WWWWorking!! - 13

It'd be lying if I said I didn't smile like an idiot throughout the whole episode. I grew to like these characters and got invested in their ships, which ultimately all paid off. Would be great to see a 2nd Season, but I guess it would have to be all original material. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this one, and it was one of the most entertaining shows for me this season.

Sangatsu - 11

Jeez. Gotta say that first part of this episode was so relatable to me on so many levels. It's so easy to think only of yourself when you are depressed, thinking that you are all alone when you aren't.

Only have Girlish Number to go and I'll be able to tell you folks about my AOTS. Overall, this season was just okay. Very disappointed by Eupho. Thankfully the other stuff, although without as much of the production quality as it, managed to carry me through the season and keep me entertained.

Jex

Okay my news year resolution is to get back into anime.

Recommend me the best shows from the past three years.

Thank you.

Garo: The Animation
Haikyu!!
Mushi-Shi -Next Passage-
Ping Pong
Shironako
Space Dandy
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Crayon Shin-chan Movie 22: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes Back!
The Wind Rises
20 Minutes Walk from Nishi-Ogikubo Station

Shashinkan
Concrete Revolutio
Death Parade (?)
Fafner in the Azure: Exodus (Not that you can watch this without watching the original series 1st, but it's all worth it in the end)
When Marnie Was There
Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
The Diary of Ochibi
Kagewani
Miss Hokusai

Thunerbolt Fantasy
Mob Psycho 100
Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū
The Great Passage
Girlish Number
Space Patrol Luluco
Kiznaiver

Kizumonogatari: Part 1
Kizumonogatari: Part 2
A Silent Voice
Your Name
Girls und Panzer Film
Garo: Divine Flame

I've never bought a super omega edition for a game before, but Nier Automata would be the first.

I'm not going to tho. Someone will make a good 2B figure later

Tiger Mask W 12
C0c_q_Ri_VQAACWA3.jpg

It's actually kind of weird how this show hasn't built up a rivalry between the two tigers. Episode was fine though. Clearly more time is being spent on the finale.

Taruranto

Erin 43-44

This sequence. I understand what they were going for, but It's just soooo duuuumb.
All teachers at Lasal have a mute whistle, what the hell was Esal doing during all of this? Watching people getting chopped?
This is another example of the series being clearly aimed at a younger audience. It's like they were afraid
that the kids wouldn't realize Erin was trying to fool Cercei Lastinster Demiya.

Qurupeke

Rakugo [END]

And it seems this show will have a very high place on my AOTY list, though it was to be expected, I suppose.

I've heard that Rakugo was boring but this show managed to captivate me and every episode was just so good. The happy moments, the sad moments, the tension on every front, everything was fascinating about this show. Especially the two protagonists. I'm actually curious about S2, I'm not sure it can have main characters as good as those.
Miyokichi was a pretty terrible person though. Though I'm not sure I can blame her.
Also, small Konatsu was such a happy note on the later episodes of Rakugo.

January can't come soon enough.

Szadek

This year I watched may classic shows that I was missing (Cowboy Bebob, Monster, Berserk), but next year (and maybe the rest of this year) I want to watch many anime movies I haven't seen yet.

Here is what's currently on my Plan to Watch list.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Working!!!

All the ships

sailing off into the sunset

Short hair Miyakoshi >>>>>> Long hair Miyakoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom