• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey Paw: Do we REALLY-REALLY want a new F-ZERO?

IAmMonodi

Ok so it's no secret that a new F-ZERO on an HD console would be super fantastic, but here's the catch: are we SURE that we want one?

I especially put this question considering what Shiggy has mentioned about F-ZERO for Wii U:

"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game," Miyamoto said. "I think where I struggle is that I don’t really have a good idea for what’s new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don’t know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero."

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/20/dont-get-your-hopes-up-for-f-zero

F-ZERO GX was -- no, is -- SUPER fantastic, and the absolute best evolution the IP has ever got (imo) with the razor-sharp framerate on the GameCube and deliciously brutal challenging races. And most, if not all, of that was thanks to SEGA's Amusement Visions that also handled Super Monkey Ball.

Last time we were really wanting an IP to have a new entry was Star Fox. And we got Star Fox Zero which pretty much indicated Shiggy's mentality about innovation and design. Star Fox Zero had an easy win, it had it on the sleeve, it was a perfectly winnable situation. But THEN they thought about ~~innovating~~ the controls which was the major turn off from everyone.

I believe what Shiggy may mean from not having "a good idea for what’s new" translates more to "the original formula is cool but I just must include a new thing to it whether you like it or not".

A new F-ZERO just needs to be a new F-ZERO. Just be a tough, super fast, and exciting super-charged racing game. I am afraid of what adding new ingredients to it could be. Is it really a good idea?

Do we

REALLY-REALLY

want a new F-ZERO?

LeleSocho

Banned
I really want today's equivalent of Amusement Vision to do one.
I would rather let the franchise rot rather than let Miyamoto or Nintendo touch it though, Miyamoto's quotes on an hypothetical sequel are terrifying.

Its idiocy for Miyamoto to go on about having to add some new twist to a series before being able to release a new one. But its shrewd business sense to do so, because it means you can keep IP's in a bag, ready to go when you most need them.

I just hate how Nintendo rests so much on this ideology, because so many good series are killed off by them for inordinate amounts of years.

If it's anything like what they did with Star Fox Zero, I'd rather they just touch up GX and release that. Hell, even a VC release on Switch would suffice.

Most of all I just need Miyamoto to stay away from some of these franchises.

Yes. Just keep Miyamoto away. This guy's just clueless and should retire already. Monkey paw is the correct word indeed; I feel like when people asked for Star Fox by Platinum Games, what they wanted was basically the Star Fox IP with PG's touch, which means over the top dogfights, epic rival battle, lot of crazy action and difficulty. In the end, we got the slowass and boring, safe Star Fox Zero. (Although I must give it something: It perfectly nailed the artstyle.)

For F-Zero ? What people ask for F-Zero is pretty simple: F-Zero GX with a shiny paint of coat, online play. They want a pure arcade racer, with crazy speed and difficulty.

Hermii

I'm sure the Criterion F Zero on Wii U would have been great, unless Miyamoto would have pushed them to shoehorn 2nd screen controls.

X was better than GX though.
Come on, fuckers, I'll take you all on.

tumblr_n8pumcuFgi1sc3a8ho2_500.gif

yurinka

Give me a remastered HD version of GX with online multiplayer and extra game modes plus some extra remade tracks from F-Zero X.

This would be enough for many people. Please avoid doing stuff as happened in Star Fox where gimmicks killed the experience.

I think that what Miyamoto said are just excuses: I think they don't want to make a brand new F-Zero because the sales have been declining with each new entry and right now (excluding Mario Kart and a few ones like Forza or Gran Turismo) the racing genre is becoming too small.

F-Zero X gameplay and music with F-Zero GX quality presentation and content = heaven
Yes, please.

LeleSocho

Banned
Give me a remastered HD version of GX with online multiplayer and extra game modes plus some extra remade tracks from F-Zero X.

This would be enough for many people. Please avoid doing stuff as happened in Star Fox where gimmicks killed the experience.

Yeah, this would be the only safe thing to do.
Make a remaster or remake with online play and leaderboards and we're good.

TheMoon

Point is if you let Miyamoto make it you are not going to get something similar to F-Zero X either.

"Miyamoto" is not "making" any F-Zeros anyway. Not his series. Neither is it his job anymore. Shinya Takahashi is GM aka Mr. Fingers In Everything.

Only reason we're talking about him here is he is the only person people have access to and could ask about the series.

If it's anything like what they did with Star Fox Zero, I'd rather they just touch up GX and release that. Hell, even a VC release on Switch would suffice.

Most of all I just need Miyamoto to stay away from some of these franchises.

Anything like a great game that runs well and has deep gameplay?

Also, get with the program. Miyamoto is not GM anymore.

dh4niel

Didn't stop them making a Star Fox game exactly the same as 64 for the millionth time.

It's a racing game, how much can you innovate?

Didn't stop them making a Star Fox game exactly the same as 64 for the millionth time.

It's a racing game, how much can you innovate?

Online play, leaderboard, online events, multiple of game modes.
It's Nintendo: They're capable of making a new F-Zero without online play.

"Miyamoto" is not "making" any F-Zeros anyway. Not his series. Neither is it his job anymore. Shinya Takahashi is GM aka Mr. Fingers In Everything.

Only reason we're talking about him here is he is the only person people have access to and could ask about the series.

Anything like a great game that runs well and has deep gameplay?

Also, get with the program. Miyamoto is not GM anymore.

Star Fox Zero isn't a great game at all.

LeleSocho

Banned

Being the creator of the franchise Miyamoto could easily butt-in in the development and say idiotic stuff like "why don't we put clown hats on the cars?" and everyone would agree because how dare you saying no to the man.

The Boat

Being the creator of the franchise Miyamoto could easily butt-in in the development and say idiotic stuff like "why don't we put clown hats on the cars?" and everyone would agree because how dare you saying no to the man.
Works for Rocket League.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just bring back Death Race from X and expand on it. Bam, twist. Keep the regular cups too of course.

Since Amusement Vision took F-Zero to its pinnacle (in terms of what would have been possible with the formula), I'd like to have seen Nintendo EAD's take back in the day, after they had finished up with 1080 Snowboarding. Though I guess they handed it to Amusement Vision precisely because they weren't interested in expanding the formula anyway...

"For F-Zero P we really wanted to focus on the four characters from the original game on the Super Famicom. Also, the P in F-Zero P stands for penis, which is what you use for controlling your car."

Jucksalbe

Banned
F-Zero would really benefit from having a competent online mode. If you can find enough players a 30 player online mode might be pretty amazing.
Sure, they could fuck it up, but that's still better than nothing at all.

Fox Mulder

Star fox zero was a great window into Nintendo's bullshit. Couldn't just release a star fox game, had to fuck it up with "innovative" "controls".

Sega made the best FZero and I'd hate to see what current Nintendo would do with it.

Cepheus

I'd love a new F-Zero but they'd probably mess it up somehow. Like replacing the electric guitar riffs with 'bah-bah's.

"Nintendo shouldn't be let anywhere near F-Zero because Miyamoto has never made a good game in his life."

"Shin'en should do it. FAST Neo ignoring most of the fundamentals of a good F-Zero game is surely a good sign!"

I honestly think a new Wave Race would make way more of a splash (no pun intended) than a new F-Zero. We've seen countless Sci-Fi Racers in recent years and some of them were pretty good - But JetSki Racers? Apart from that atrocious iOS series, there's nothing out there. And it's still mind-boggling to me how good the water felt on the N64 and how they completely dropped the ball in that regard on the GameCube.

There's no other game out there - as far as I know - that handled JetSki racing better than Wave Race 64 did. Gimme that + 4 Screen Multiplayer and it'd be amazing. On top of that, I'd argue that Wave Race 64 is probably still one of the best racing games ever made. It's masterfully designed. You didn't have 300 cars, you had 4 racers and a handful of levels and they were all finely tuned to work with one another in a way that you couldn't pull off in any of these 'ultra-realistic' racing games.

TheMoon

Just bring back Death Race from X and expand on it. Bam, twist. Keep the regular cups too of course.

Hell ya, Death Race was rad.

No, I was talking about Star Fox Zero.

Me too.

Star fox zero was a great window into Nintendo's bullshit. Couldn't just release a star fox game, had to fuck it up with "innovative" "controls".

Sega made the best FZero and I'd hate to see what current Nintendo would do with it.

I'm sure it would star all Toads.

FFS people... lol

Shits me to tears, since a lot of F-Zero's ideas are still quite unique. Having 30 racers in the pack for instance, and if they could pull that off with online racers instead...!

But most obvious of all is the track editor which is an underutilized idea even in F-Zero itself, given it hasn't come out of Japan. I honestly thought Mario Maker would pave the way for a series of maker games. F-Zero Maker with the same ease of use and flexibility, better sharing tools! Maybe it'll still come.

My low expectations for future racing support has me ecstatic about Wipeout Omega. So a similar F-Zero package on Switch, GX+AX at higher resolutions, would be a treat.

I expect a new original F-Zero as much as a new original Wave Race or Motorstorm.

IAmMonodi

And it's still mind-boggling to me how good the water felt on the N64 and how they completely dropped the ball in that regard on the GameCube.

There's no other game out there - as far as I know - that handled JetSki racing better than Wave Race 64 did. Gimme that + 4 Screen Multiplayer and it'd be amazing.

As someone that's only played Blue Storm, I am genuinely interested. Could you describe the difference of experience further?

MrPanic

When I say I want F-Zero, I mostly just want a port/remaster of F-Zero GX. That game is still the best racing game ever made in my book. I still wouldn't mind a new one though, just because they failed with Star Fox Zero doesn't mean something new in F-Zero couldn't be great. That said though, just give me a Switch GX port with online.

LordKano

Yes, because even if it's bad, I can still play F-Zero GX again. So it's not like we would lose anything from it.

Bring it on. With the most metal soundtrack you can find.

Top Bottom