• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo Switch to be 25,000 yen (Roughly $250) [Up: Maybe speculation]

How much will the cheapest Nintendo Switch SKU cost in U.S. dollars?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RM8

Mario Kart 8 would be an amazing pack in. It's not a new game, so you don't "waste" a new release, but it's Mario Kart which always sell well, makes use of the out-of-the-box nature of the Switch, and along with Zelda, makes a nice argument for being an early adopter.

Also because it's my personal system seller, so yeah :p

As someone who skipped the Wii U (Until receiving it as a gift with tons of games, basically for free), I think that I'd buy a Switch at $300 if the 3rd party and indie support looked promising and it came with a game, preferably Mario or Zelda. It'll likely be packed in with one of the Wii U ports if anything, like Mario Kart or something.

Mario Kart with local multiplayer right out of the box would be a huge seller for so many people!

Neoxon

Mario Kart 8 would be an amazing pack in. It's not a new game, so you don't "waste" a new release, but it's Mario Kart which always sell well, makes use of the out-of-the-box nature of the Switch, and along with Zelda, makes a nice argument for being an early adopter.

Also because it's my personal system seller, so yeah :p
As mentioned earlier, the rumored pack-in game is said to be Splatoon, & MK8 may not be out until 3 or so months after the Switch's launch. That said, I recall Laura mentioning that MK8's port is basically done, so when it comes out may be a matter of spacing things out than anything else (same for the 3D Mario game, apparently).

SuperSah

Banned
I'm in the UK and this is what I'd happily pay for:

£200 Switch base console.
£250 if bundled with a game or something.

I don't think I'd be happy with a £250 price tag for a standalone system. Before anyone says anything, that'd be $304 for the base unit if converted properly.

As mentioned earlier, the rumored pack-in game is said to be Splatoon, & MK8 may not be out until 3 or so months after the Switch's launch. That said, I recall Laura mentioning that MK8's port is basically done, so when it comes out may be a matter of spacing things out than anything else (same for the 3D Mario game, apparently).
I'd imagine a port of an existing game with a few new characters and levels would be the easiest thing to bust out day 1.

I'm absolutely in for Mario Kart 8 on Switch, especially if it comes packed in with all the DNC from the previous game.

Neoxon

I'd imagine a port of an existing game with a few new characters and levels would be the easiest thing to bust out day 1.

I'm absolutely in for Mario Kart 8 on Switch, especially if it comes packed in with all the DNC from the previous game.
But as mentioned earlier, it may be more of an issue of Nintendo not wanting to blow their load on Day 1 more than anything else. Zelda & Splatoon (the latter being a pack-in) may be enough for the Switch's launch as far as Nintendo games go.

Koh

So at $250 the Switch needs to prove itself to you, but at $200 you will buy it regardless?

$200 plus a game, yes. That's the impulse buy people have been mentioning.

This rumoured price is $300 if you include a game. That's 50% more than I'm willing to gamble right now. I need to be convinced or I'll wait. Like I said, Nintendo doesn't need me at launch, so I'll likely end up waiting.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
250 is too expensive for a handheld.

Yes, yes, I know, it's a hybrid. But most will using it as a handheld.

The mass market doesn't care about Nintendo consoles.
I'm sorry but this comment stuck out to me, how in the hell did you come to fhe conclusion that the NS will be used more as a handheld?

They have no reasoning. They just want to pick $50 less because it's fun to trash Nintendo.

The Switch should be $150 because that's an impulse buy more than $199. See how easy it is to say that?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my reasoning goes : Switch is going to be significantly weaker than PS4/Xbone in all likelyhood. They won't be able to keep a secret from the public (nor should they), and it will quite possibly impact the amount of third party software the system recieves. Plus it's launching later than the ps4/xbone by years, and so there's another barrier to getting the initial audience they need to ensure third parties hang around

In order to entince consumers then, the system probably should be cheaper than a ps4/xbone.

And that's where Nintendo's probably buggered. There have been some very good deals in the UK recently for a PS4 (Typically £200 with a 2016 release game, sometimes even lower).

I have no idea how they could undercut that, and I'm not sure they're even going to match £200 with a game, honestly. Nut I also struggle to think of a way they can have this succeed as a home console if the rumours are right on power level and it costs more. Next week better be one heck of a show.

Smasher89

Seems to put it in a expensive area, concidering we got 25% tax added on the price and a new "enviroment tax" that applies in april here in Sweden. after the 10 dollars "="10 euro conversion here in europe too. Still hoping it to be region free so importing might still be a option !

KAL2006

Banned
$250 and it must come with a game or bust?

That's what everyone is saying.

I personally feel $250 without a game is fair. Remember Nintendo fitness charge for online play. If they did then I'd say it's a rip.

Trace

Banned
$250 USD = $331 CAD.

The PS4 is $330 CAD here and that includes Uncharted 4, one of the best games of the year.

Absolutely horrible price in terms of value.

They need to put it at $299 CAD even if they take a bit of a hit on that.

Cartho

They're in a tricky position as it's probably going to be hard to sell it for much less than £250 without losing a lot of money on it. This is tough for them because that is also the price at which you can get a much more powerful PS4 or xb1 with a game bundled. If not more expensive. Gonna be interesting to see how they play it.

But as mentioned earlier, it may be more of an issue of Nintendo not wanting to blow their load on Day 1 more than anything else. Zelda & Splatoon (the latter being a pack-in) may be enough for the Switch's launch as far as Nintendo games go.
It definitely is wise that Nintendo play their cards right and not release everything day 1. However, I think 2 huge heavy hitters are necessary for a good launch, and I can't think of anything better than either Zelda or 3D Mario and Mario Kart. Zelda will be there to establish a core audience and be the HUGE game people have been waiting years for, and Kart 8 will be the great multiplayer experience to help sell Switch as THE console to buy if you want local multiplayer... right out of the box if you get the deluxe edition!

We'll see Thursday, but Switch being released with Kart 8 packed into the box (Sold at $300), with the option to get Zelda day 1 seems like the best choice for them.

I say Kart over Splatoon simply because of the drawing power that the Mario Kart brand has. Somebody says that of you buy the Switch you get to play Nintendo's new UP Splatoon day 1... that could draw some people, but others will be asking questions. You tell mass audiences that day 1 you get Mario Kart with 2 controllers to boot, you'll definitely get people buying your console day 1. It won't do PS4 numbers, too late for that, but I suspect that if Nintendo play their cards right they could possibly outsell the Xbone this gen

$200 plus a game, yes. That's the impulse buy people have been mentioning.

This rumoured price is $300 if you include a game. That's 50% more than I'm willing to gamble right now. I need to be convinced or I'll wait. Like I said, Nintendo doesn't need me at launch, so I'll likely end up waiting.

So, even if the Switch looks unappealing to you at launch, a $50 price difference plus a (undetermined) game is enough to compel you to buy it?

My point is that the value it has to you is undetermined right now, so it's odd to see you (and many other people in this thread) so confident about pricing.

If the Switch looks great and has games you want, is $50 really going to hold you back for long?

KAL2006

Banned
$250 USD = $331 CAD.

The PS4 is $330 CAD here and that includes Uncharted 4, one of the best games of the year.

Absolutely horrible price in terms of value.

PS4 was out longer of course they can have crazy deals and I'm sure Switch will go down in price and have great bundles too. This is for launch remember. Also portable systems cost more. To get a gaming PC is cheaper than a gaming Laptop. Finally Nintendo don't charge for online so with PS4 you would have to add $50 anyway if you wanted online for a year.

Koh

Seems to put it in a expensive area, concidering we got 25% tax added on the price and a new "enviroment tax" that applies in april here in Sweden. after the 10 dollars "="10 euro conversion here in europe too. Still hoping it to be region free so importing might still be a option !

Dang! Do you have income taxes as well?

LordKano

It's half the power of an Xbox One, so it must be half the price or it's DOA. I can find an Xbox One for 200$ on Black Friday, so it must be 100$ at most. Also, two games included, and a pro controller. If all my wish aren't granted, it's DOA. You hear me, Nintendo ? I am a sales expert, do like I said or it's DOA !!

You'd think that's cheap but... 25k for the system, 5k for the controller, 6k to download BotW on Wii U, 6k to download BotW on Switch, 6k for a physical copy of BotW on Wii U, 6k for a physical copy of BotW on Switch, 20k to download a couple of other launch games, 20k in miscellaneous import and shipping fees, like 40k for new headphones, maybe 40k for a new monitor/TV. Not so cheap all of a sudden.

$250 and it must come with a game or bust?

That's what everyone is saying.

I personally feel $250 without a game is fair. Remember Nintendo fitness charge for online play. If they did then I'd say it's a rip.
$250 for the basic model, $300 packed with Mario Kart and a pro controller. That seems like a great and likely deal to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

Trace

Banned
PS4 was out longer of course they can have crazy deals and I'm sure Switch will go down in price and have great bundles too. This is for launch remember. Also portable systems cost more. To get a gaming PC is cheaper than a gaming Laptop. Finally Nintendo don't charge for online so with PS4 you would have to add $50 anyway if you wanted online for a year.

Nintendo's online is so shit I wouldn't pay for it anyway. However, this isn't the beginning of a gen where all game consoles are full price and have shit prices. This is the middle, and Nintendo needs to be competitive now, not at 2013 prices.

Neoxon

It definitely is wise that Nintendo play their cards right and not release everything day 1. However, I think 2 huge heavy hitters are necessary for a good launch, and I can't think of anything better than either Zelda or 3D Mario and Mario Kart. Zelda will be there to establish a core audience and be the HUGE game people have been waiting years for, and Kart 8 will be the great multiplayer experience to help sell Switch as THE console to buy if you want local multiplayer... right out of the box if you get the deluxe edition!

We'll see Thursday, but Switch being released with Kart 8 packed into the box (Sold at $300), with the option to get Zelda day 1 seems like the best choice for them.

I say Kart over Splatoon simply because of the drawing power that the Mario Kart brand has. Somebody says that of you buy the Switch you get to play Nintendo's new IP Splatoon day 1... that could draw some people, but others will be asking questions. You tell mass audiences that day 1 you get Mario Kart with 2 controllers to boot, you'll definitely get people buying your console day 1. It won't do PS4 numbers, too late for that, but I suspect that if Nintendo play their cards right they could possibly outsell the Xbone this gen
Also consider that Splatoon is a mega-hit in Japan & that it's an IP that Nintendo would want to leverage. Mario Kart is more guaranteed to sell on its own worldwide than Splatoon, so there's less of a need to include it in the Deluxe Bundle.

$250 for the basic model, $300 packed with Mario Kart and a pro controller. That seems like a great and likely deal to me, but maybe I'm wrong.
I wouldn't get your hopes up for the Pro Controller being included.

Schnozberry

I wouldn't translate the price directly from USD. I would anticipate a $299 price in Canada, just due to the exchange rate difference. 25500 yen is $288 Canadian.

Also consider that Splatoon is a mega-hit in Japan & that it's an IP that Nintendo would want to leverage. Mario Kart is more guaranteed to sell on its own worldwide than Splatoon, so there's less of a need to include it in the Deluxe Bundle.
I wasn't really aware of how successful Splatoon was in Japan. Was it really that big of a deal? I mean, I thought the Wii U sold even less there than in America.

You make a good point thought with not needing to sell MK8 as a bundle, and you're probably right. The brand sells itself.

Trace

Banned
I wouldn't translate the price directly from USD. I would anticipate a $299 price in Canada, just due to the exchange rate difference. 25500 yen is $288 Canadian.

I would definitely consider picking one up at $299 CAD or less. Anything over that and it's out of the picture for me.

$250 is fine, $300 with a game and some extra fluff bundled in. The Wii U's problem is that it wasn't an attractive product, and certainly not at the price they wanted, but the Switch has already dwarfed that. They'll be fine.

Neoxon

I wasn't really aware of how successful Splatoon was in Japan. Was it really that big of a deal? I mean, I thought the Wii U sold even less there than in America.

You make a good point thought with not needing to sell MK8 as a bundle, and you're probably right. The brand sells itself.
It sold near Smash 4 levels (in Japan for both) & moved Wii Us over there, it was huge. That's not to say that it wasn't a success everywhere else, but Japan was all over Splatoon.

Oregano

It's officially bigger than Final Fantasy.

Malakai

The currency exchange rate and other countries value add tax (VAT) makes a direct conversion to US dollars meaningless.

But based on the trailer, what Nintendo has said about the console, the kind of games marketed for it, I mean the fact that it comes with a controller. It's very clearly a home console first and foremost.

Switch seems to cause different perception based on user habit. To me, the first trailer communicated more the flexible and portable aspects. I also understood it as a home console, but clearly not first and foremost. Objectively, it is a balanced system. Both aspects are equal. Or should be. The home console aspect of course has more shortcomings when speaking of hardware grunt, otherwise the portability would not work.

The games that are to be expected (no real marketing has actually been done yet, I think) are not an indicator of being a home console. I say, almost any videogame can be a portable game if not relying on online aspects in the first place. The controller, sure, it is there, but it serves as well in portable mode with only a few actions. An optional Pro Controller will be available for both stationary and portable use.

I remember having read somewhere that Nintendo have stated something like "Switch is a home console first and foremost" (I do not know the exact wording). If they meant "Switch is primarily meant to be used docked in front of your TV", then they made a mistake with their statement imho. But I do not think it is meant this way or should be understood this way. Being a home console does not automatically mean being stationary and docked. Portable gaming at home (connected to wifi) is also a big thing for quite some people.

I absolutely do not want to point at you with my following statement but I received the impression, that the "It's clearly a home console first and foremost" - statement is predominantly used when people want to cast switch in a rather bad light: being a laughably weak home console that will be shunned by 3rd parties because of that as usual. And it is easy for them to state that "because Nintendo said so themselves!".
But as I said as an example, the home console aspect does not leave out portability. People seem to like to leave that out to have an easy time being dismissive (again, I'm not calling you out).

8bit

Knows the Score
You'd think that's cheap but... 25k for the system, 5k for the controller, 6k to download BotW on Wii U, 6k to download BotW on Switch, 6k for a physical copy of BotW on Wii U, 6k for a physical copy of BotW on Switch, 20k to download a couple of other launch games, 20k in miscellaneous import and shipping fees, like 40k for new headphones, maybe 40k for a new monitor/TV. Not so cheap all of a sudden.

215471989_gkzwd-l-2.jpg

Koh

So, even if the Switch looks unappealing to you at launch, a $50 price difference plus a (undetermined) game is enough to compel you to buy it?

My point is that the value it has to you is undetermined right now, so it's odd to see you (and many other people in this thread) so confident about pricing.

If the Switch looks great and has games you want, is $50 really going to hold you back for long?

Eh, it's no different than those who are willing to pay the $250 right now. There is perceived value based on what we know. We know of some games like Zelda, we know it's a hybrid. You can make an assessment on that information and your projections for other things to come (Mario kart). Budget obviously plays a personal factor as well.

If the switch looks great and had games I want, I can be convinced to pay more. I said that in both previous posts.

I'll obviously reevaluate the price when we get through the conference.

HotHamBoy

Why would they bundle a game that's guaranteed to sell on its own? Same for the Pro Controller.

Is the Pro Controller something different than what is shown in the trailer? I mean the one that the joycons snap onto.

Because it's not being sold as a handheld, it needs a controller. (And a power adapter)

Well if there was a Splatoon bundle in Japan we could ask the same question.

Pretty sure the demand for a completely new Zelda is stronger than the demand for a port of a two year old Wii U game, regardless of region.

Neoxon

Is the Pro Controller something different than what is shown in the trailer? I mean the one that the joycons snap onto.

Because it's not being sold as a handheld, it needs a controller. (And a power adapter)
Yes, there's a separate Pro Controller. What you're describing is the Joy-Con Grip.

HotHamBoy

Yes, there's a separate Pro Controller. What you're describing is the Joy-Con Grip.

Oh, yeah, then anyone expecting a game + pro controller included is delusional.

They aren't going to bundle Zelda, that's fucking insane. Just having Zelda will sell the system, which means a game sold for every system sold.

HotHamBoy

NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg

Everything you see in this pic should come in the box. Joy con Grip in the middle connects the joy cons together.

It looks uncomfortable and ugly but we'll see.

In-box Splatoon is a great move. Will ensure a strong online community with legs and will sow the seeds for sequel demand.

Top Bottom