• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman on Film: The Batman production pushed back, Justice League is "a mess"

Should Thor 2: The Dark World jokes be retired in 2017?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I said it once and I'll say it again...

Go for a loose adaptation of Arkham Asyulm: A Serious House on a Serious Earth. Batman meets Die Hard.

arkham.jpg

Batman gets lured to Arkham Asylum under the initial pretense of dealing with a routine hostage situation before subsequently finding himself the centeral victim of an extremely elaborate trap.

arkhamasylum1.jpg

Thrust into a deadly cat and mouse game which will threaten to push both his resourcefulness and his sanity to their very limits, Batman is forced to confront the most lethal enemies he's amassed over his twenty year career whilst at the same time having to make some dangerous new allegiances as he attempts to survive the most dangerous night of his night. During the film, Commissioner Gordon and the GPD slowly amass around the Asylum as the tension gradually cooks up....all leading to an explosive denouement where Batman must confront and eventually the mastermind who is revealed to be behind staging the night's events and eventually outwit him.

Could be fun.

Budget $65 million
Box office $169,490

maybe Worldwide will be better

Wide release is this Friday. Still doubt it'll make much, that's based off the limited release meant to be eligible for the technical awards. From what I hear it's not a good movie, but it looks very nice.

Go for a loose adaptation of Arkham Asyulm: A Serious House on a Serious Earth. Batman meets Die Hard.

Batman-on-Film had a rumor that his Batman would be like that. They also thought Joker would be in BvS.

cyborg-flash-movie.jpg

You're telling me a movie with these 2 stunning designs is a mess?

tumblr_lflomep86b1qerfv4.gif

From MoS the entire thing was on shit ground, Then the had BvS which was basically 2+ hours of "HOW EXCITED ARE YOU TO WATCH BATMAN FIGHT SUPERMAN, RIGHT GUYS.... RIGHT" A movie without a purpose and a death without a consequence. I mean not 10mins later they show he isn't dead. Of course he wasn't going to die. It's from ye olde book of worn out tropes.

I mean, JL would have to be horribly bad in a way that makes BvS look good.

Thor is Tier 2 Marvel. That's Dr. Strange/Ant-Man money. $650-700 million worldwide.

Justice League would have to be one of the worst movies of the past decade to not cross that. The DC top-tier has so much cushion built in that they can screw up and still make bank.

Justice League has the advantage over Thor, no doubt.
But it's not that big of a stretch to think that Thor has a small shot.
Thor 3 will have Hulk, the breakout character of Avengers. He could easily elevate a $600 million franchise to the $700 / 800 million range.

On the other hand, BvS was already in that range and the addition of new characters like Flash and Aquaman is not likely to increase the box-office significantly since BvS already had the Trinity who are the biggest draws of the League. If Justice League gets a savage reception, it could easily do below BvS's numbers. It's not going to bomb of course, but it could disappoint.

That scenario is unlikely but far from impossible.

Shaanyboi

Banned
If Wonder Woman ends up being the only good movie from this universe, have her escape into a fucking multiverse portal, full-on reboot all the other characters, and have her show up and be like "Hey you guys are way cooler than the assholes from back home."

y2dvd

The crazy part is we are living in a day and age where you can legitmately argue that Thor may match the JL in BO success lol.

The Kree

Banned
If Wonder Woman ends up being the only good movie from this universe, have her escape into a fucking multiverse portal, full-on reboot all the other characters, and have her show up and be like "Hey you guys are way cooler than the assholes from back home."
It's a little early to already be in the bargaining phase. LMAO

guek

Banned
...Now my heart wants Alan Rickman to play Ras Al Ghul and we'll never have it :(

I can hear Rickman's voice in my head going "Tell me, Detective, do you really plan on leaving this archaic asylum alive?"

Oh fuck you, Seph. Fuck you for giving me the ghost of what we can never have.

BvS "only" made $873 million worldwide. So "Tier 2 Marvel" isn't exactly out of the question here.
Justice League has the advantage over Thor, no doubt.
But it's not that big of a stretch to think that Thor has a small shot.
Thor 3 will have Hulk, the breakout character of Avengers. He could easily elevate a $600 million franchise to the $700 / 800 million range.

On the other hand, BvS was already in that range and the addition of new characters like Flash and Aquaman is not likely to increase the box-office significantly since BvS already had the Trinity who are the biggest draws of the League. If Justice League gets a savage reception, it could easily do below BvS's numbers. It's not going to bomb of course, but it could disappoint.

That scenario is unlikely but far from impossible.

I'm getting dizzy imagining JL being under $700 million. That would be a failure on all sides. Making money, sure, but trending in the wrong direction against rough competition. That's Amazing Spider-Man 2 territory.

That's a time to clean house. It's being given the keys to the kingdom and building a one-bedroom home. Sure it stands, but the potential was so much higher.

I can't fathom that. Or I can, but I can't figure WB is that mismanaged.

bca.gif

liquidtmd

Banned

arkham.jpg

Batman gets lured to Arkham Asylum under the initial pretense of dealing with a routine hostage situation before subsequently finding himself the victim of an extremely elaborate trap.

arkhamasylum1.jpg

Thrust into a deadly cat and mouse game which will test both his resourcefulness and his cunning (as well as threatening to test the limits of his sanity) Batman is forced to confront the most lethal enemies he's amassed over his twenty year career whilst at the same time having to make some dangerous new allegiances as he attempts to survive the most dangerous night of his night. During the film, Commissioner Gordon and the GPD slowly amass around the Asylum as the tension gradually cooks up....all leading to an explosive denouement where Batman must confront and eventually the mastermind who is revealed to be behind staging the night's events....and eventually outwit him.

Could be fun.

Seriously this. If they were smart that could also play this into re-establishing Joker as not shit after Suicide Squad.

they are not smart

...Now my heart wants Alan Rickman to play Ras Al Ghul and we'll never have it :(

I can hear Rickman's voice in my head going "Tell me, Detective, do you really plan on leaving this archaic asylum alive?"

Broooooo.....why do this to me :(

He'd chew the fucking scenery off that movie.

Sephzilla

The crazy part is we are living in a day and age where you can legitmately argue that Thor may match the JL in BO success lol.

Shit, we're living in an age where Deadpool made more money in the US than a movie w/ Batman and Superman.

Is it just me or does it look like his hat and suit are CGI? Maybe it's him that looks CGI? I don't know anymore!

Affleck looks like he has CG touchups going on here

Cheebo

Banned
I'm getting dizzy imagining JL being under $700 million. That would be a failure on all sides. Making money, sure, but trending in the wrong direction against rough competition. That's Amazing Spider-Man 2 territory.

That's a time to clean house. It's being given the keys to the kingdom and building a one-bedroom home. Sure it stands, but the potential was so much higher.

I can't fathom that.

bca.gif

Justice League needs to at least a billion, any less and the series is probably in jeopardy.

I mean, JL would have to be horribly bad in a way that makes BvS look good.

Thor is Tier 2 Marvel. That's Dr. Strange/Ant-Man money. $650-700 million worldwide.

Justice League would have to be one of the worst movies of the past decade to not cross that. The DC top-tier has so much cushion built in that they can screw up and still make bank.

You're probably right tbh, Batman should seal it.
I see Thor 3: The Rag Rok having a better chance of reversing expectations of its own franchise vs. the BvS reception, even if just in marketing.

Platy

I can't fathom that. Or I can, but I can't figure WB is that mismanaged.

bca.gif

There is also the factor that Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a sequel to Amazing Spider-MAn 1....

So if Wonder Woman is shitty than there is a good chance it will give Justice League some bad headstart.

The good thing is that Wonder Woman is the best looking DC movie so far =P

kevin1025

Banned
Kill it. Start over.

It can't be worse.

Yeah, I think they should just finish out the WW and JL productions and see where things stand rather than push through more and more movies and hope for the best. They need time to either course correct or start over. Keep on moving forward, nothing gets fixed.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I love DC Comics but I don't know how many more of these movies I'm willing to gleefully pay for in theaters at this rate. I wasn't a huge fan of Man of Steel, Batman v Superman was a mess, and Suicide Squad was offensively bad. They really got me asking why I keep paying to see this stuff. I hope this all works out

Litan

I was expecting 2018 to be the year when the DCEU really rights the ship, but if this is what's really going down backstage, then I don't know what the future holds for this franchise.

Kill it. Start over.

It can't be worse.

Yeah but no one thought you could have a Superman movie that was inspired by All Star in the scripting and concept stage and have it utterly fail to be inspiring...

All Star Superman will forever be the most inspiring to me because of that Reagan page, because if superheroes had to be real I'd kinda want it to be him.

If the source is legit, then are we really surprised? No amount of studio interference, Snyder Stupidity, or Goyerisms would help save this project.

Sephzilla

Oh fuck you, Seph. Fuck you for giving me the ghost of what we can never have.

Broooooo.....why do this to me :(

He'd chew the fucking scenery off that movie.

Hans-Gruber-Die-Hard.jpg

"Tell me detective, or should I say, Mister Wayne, have you ever taken a moment to think about what separates you from the incarcerates of Arkham? Have you ever wondered how blurred the line is between villain and vigilante? Have you ever taken a moment to question whether or not you are a result of them or they are a result of you?"

God damnit, Rickman would have been a great Ras or even some kind of movie-original villain.

I don't think they're going to elegantly reboot with Johns at the helm. We're just gonna have to ride this Snyder train wreck to a $17 million dollar Cyborg opening weekend.

Johns is writing Rebirth #2 this year and rumors that he'll be co-writing (every other issue) JSA with Steve Orlando, or a Shazam ongoing with Gary Frank. So when we know more about Rebirth #2...we can probably infer more about his relationship with the movie side.

These messy movies just Make Nolan trilogy look even better.

I wonder if it gets to bad. They'll just Flashpoint everything. Imagine a Nolan directed Flashpoint. Action scenes might be subpar, but I think he'll nail the dialouge.

I'm hoping for the best for DC. I want them to succeed, but the last two movies were great disappointments

guek

Banned
http://cultspark.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Hans-Gruber-Die-Hard.jpg[img]

"Tell me detective, or should I say, Mister Wayne, have you ever taken a moment to think about what separates you from the incarcerates of Arkham? Have you ever wondered how blurred the line is between villain and vigilante?"
[/QUOTE]

You're a monster

dan2026

Can't they just get Geoff Johns to write the scripts. Or the outlines, or something?
Hell he may be a comic writer and not a screen writer, but at least he knows the characters and can actually write a decent story.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Ra's Al Ghul: (On the Radio) Detective? Are you still there?

Batman: Yeah, I'm still here. Unless you wanna open the front door for me.

Ral's Al Ghul: Uh, no, I'm afraid not. But, you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John McClane? Rambo?

Batman: I was always kinda partial to The Grey Ghost, actually. I really liked that cape.

Ra's Al Ghul: Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mr. Cowboy?

Batman: I am vengeance, motherfucker.

Hans-Gruber-Die-Hard.jpg

"Tell me detective, or should I say, Mister Wayne, have you ever taken a moment to think about what separates you from the incarcerates of Arkham? Have you ever wondered how blurred the line is between villain and vigilante?"

Fuck you, Seph. Fuck you.

It'd be SO GOOD

Busty

Banned
For what it's worth I heard in the summer that Rogue One was an unsalvageable mess of a film (before the HUGE reshoots) and though I've still to see it myself the general consensus seems to be positive.

I feel like it's far too early to send everyone to the bunkers about Justice League. Besides, pushing back the start of The Batman doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. If they want to get it right and the audience want them to get it right why is the sky falling if they delay it a few months?

Though if Justice League were a disaster and about to dash the entire DCU upon the rocks why are WB moving full steam ahead with Aquaman which could arguably be the most expensive of all the DC solo films?

Who knows.

Sephzilla

Ra's Al Ghul: (On the Radio) Detective? Are you still there?

Batman: Yeah, I'm still here. Unless you wanna open the front door for me.

Ral's Al Ghul: Uh, no, I'm afraid not. But, you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John McClane? Rambo?

Batman: I was always kinda partial to The Grey Ghost, actually. I really liked that cape.

Ra's Al Ghul: Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mr. Cowboy?

Batman: I am vengeance, motherfucker.

MSqBoPy.gif

Didn't BvS barely break even with it's BO? Justice League might end up losing money with those standards.

Depends on the numbers you go with. Official budget is $250 million, meaning it was profitable at around $550 million. Depends on how much they spent on marketing. The highest rumored number was $400 million for production+marketing, meaning yeah, they just made a profit.

I assume 'a mess' means there are major aspects of the movie that weren't finalized before shooting and they are trying to sort it out as they go, changing things etc.

I don't think that's always a mess but it seems to happen in every single DCU movie they try to make.

At this point, Marvel may change something but every time they make a movie, we get comments from actors about how polished the process it. They have an idea, a vision, and a goal that is set in pre-production and they work towards that goal.

All the marvel movies don't perform the same but damned if they don't know what they are making before they make it.

Production and shooting changes aren't a black mark for most movies, but at this point they just don't fucking know what they want from these DCU movies. There are plot, character and tone changes during the whole process. It's rough.

It's as if they are still trying to figure out the formula but they don't even know what they want except money.

So most movies this would not bother me but we hear it every single time for DCU movies. So afraid of failing that they start just trying to check whatever boxes they think equal box office.

They need to have a style and tone in mind and make that movie, just fucking make it!!!!! Don't change it, don't over 'focus group' it, just fucking make it.

Make the movie you want to make and THEN make changes to how you do it. Trying to have lessons learned before you are done just leaves the wheels spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom