• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 gamescom presentation -- update: gameplay video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

Update3: Technical Details

the-witcher-2-tech-det8o5w.jpg

-The Engine is called "TSOOD", cdprojekt calls it "best RPG engine in the world".
- Currently it uses Directx 9 but also supports newer versions.
- Engine works on Ps3 and 360
-Instead of loading each section, everything is streamed within each chapter, there are approximately 4 loading screens in the game.
- Witcher 2 benefits from more cores but the increase in performance is not linear. The engine utilizes 3-core architecture of Xbox 360. They say that dual-core CPUs should be fine for PC.
- Parallax mapping on walls and other surfaces
- Not much blooming and glare unlike other titles.
- Textures are mostly detailed but not outstanding, PC version has no visual advantage over internal console builds other than higher resolution ?????
- facial animation was not implemented in this build.
- Uses Havok physics engine for simulating flying debris and other objects
- No ridiculous DRM, they want to reward honest players.

Story flowchart

the-witcher-2-tech-dete7m4.jpg

the-witcher-2-tech-det97mj.jpg

Fact Comparison

the-witcher-2-tech-detkrvh.jpg

the-witcher-2-tech-dett7v6.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update2:
video
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gc_the_witcher_2_presentation-9826_en.html

butsomuch said:
Off-screen gamescom gameplay footage [via TW2 Facebook page]
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

trailer

butsomuch said:

poster

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update1:

pics in this post, thanks to butsomuch!

pcgameshardware.de

- Nice lighting and good textures, area is very detailed
- Armor consists of several parts: gloves, chest armor etc
- weapons and equipment can be modified with runes, effects visible on items.
- More freedom in both dialog and gameplay, sneaking or fighting everybody etc
- stealth mechanic/movement, pressing against walls and killing lights. (light & shadow stealth mechanic?)
- Cat Potion gives you Batman AA like detective vision, you can see through walls, it detects internal organs in enemies :O
- Geralt's amulet (wolf head) when activated makes important details in the area visible.
- fighting animations are good.
- Your actions in previous quests affects other NPCs just like first game.
- There is nudity
- Console ports are being considered but no firm plans so far. All resources are invested in development of PC version.

Battlegorounds

-large battlefields are in the game with hundreds of fully animated enemies on screen.
-physics and a lots of debris.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
tea_and_crumpets said:
Any news for us console peasants?

The article says that a console version is still being planned, but no real development on it so far.

Chesskid1

Banned
about the nudity, does anyone know why the first one was censored here, and is it possible for it to happen to the 2nd one here also? thanks.

Dennis

Banned
miladesn said:
-Nice lighting and good textures, area is very detailed
-More freedom in both dialog and gameplay, sneaking or fighting everybody etc
-stealth mechanic/movement, pressing against walls and killing lights. (light & shadow stealth mechanic?)
-There is nudity
-physics and a lots of debris.
-Console ports are being considered but no firm plans so far. All resources are invested in development of PC version.
I have quoted the most important things

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm super excited about this game, just worried it might be the game that will force me to upgrade my CPU :lol.

matmanx1

Sounds fantastic. I wonder how well the engine will be optimized though and what kind of hardware they are aiming at for good IQ and good performance. Anyway, I'm extremely excited about this one!

IoCaster

Chesskid1 said:
about the nudity, does anyone know why the first one was censored here, and is it possible for it to happen to the 2nd one here also? thanks.

If it happens, just order the UK version like I did for The Witcher. No muss, no fuss.

Lime

The only thing that is keeping me from going into day 1 mentality, is the probability of bugs. The first game was full of them and it was only until the Enhanced Edition that the game was much more solid in its presentation. I really hope the sequel does better this time around.

Durante

How nice, a sequel that
- looks better than the previous game
- improves on key areas like controls
- adds additional gameplay systems and
- expands existing ones, giving them more depth

I don't want to point fingers, but some companies could learn from this.

Durante said:
How nice, a sequel that

Why must every RPG thread turn into a Bioware thread?

I'm glad that console ports are being considered... from everything I've read about The Witcher it sounds like this sequel could be an incredible game! I would get The Witcher and play it on PC but I'm just not set up for PC gaming anymore.

Jerk

Banned
Enosh said:
beacose bioware dared to change thing

which in the gaming community is a big no-no

*Looks at Witcher 2*

Yep! You are right.

There are no changes here. None...

Keikoku

Banned
I still need to finish the first one. I started it in 2008... the funny thing is I don't dislike it at all, I just can't finish it, putting it on hiatus as soon as I buy a new game. :/

IoCaster

Durante said:
How nice, a sequel that

Hmm...that's like the opposite of dumbing shit down isn't it?

All resources are invested in development of PC version.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Aru said:
NOOOOO :'(

That's a good thing. I'd rather CDProjket work on making the best game possible on one platform and worry about porting it later instead of making a half assed product to launch on every system at once.

Aru said:
NOOOOO :'(

You mean YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! ;)

If this wasn't the case we'd all be suffering from a much worse game when things are finally said and done. Let them worry about creating a fantastic game first, they can do the porting/gimping/dumbing down later on.
Sorry I couldn't resist.

Minsc

Gold Member
The RPG genre has been in full swing lately on PC, along with many others. Can't wait to see how this game's story unfolds.

Durante said:
How nice, a sequel that

You say that now, but everyone will complain that it's console-ified once they play it and it's different than the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom