• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety - Oscars: Record Six Black Actors Nominated, Diversity Improves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
Good for Black actors. Now what about Hispanic, Asian, and other minority actors?

Let's not forget people with disabilities, who can't even play disabled characters. Really, it's not about awards, it's Hollywood itself that's the problem.

Dabanton

I don't see anything changing until we see more black producers, people who really call the shots. Then we will see an uptick in black directors and writers also

Yep that should have been the takeaway from last year.

The news that Bradford Young got nominated deservedly so for his amazing cinematography on 'Arrival' warmed my heart. As yes, his a black man but his been working relativity quietly doing his thing on a lot of very good movies for a few years now. So no one can question whether his nom is tokenism.

The fundamental difference is that there are non-American alternatives for Asian/Hispanic populations. That isn't the case for the AA community. Hence, the extra pressure.

Yes, but that doesn't help Asian American and Hispanic Americans here. African Americans do their own thing, create African American narratives, and support their movies. I can list you plenty of Asian American/Western director's and producers that are successful but they do not cast Asian Americans at all or in lead roles. Now I'm not saying they have to, they can do what they want. However, if they're not invested in changing or at least taking chances to show there's a market for these films, then Hollywood surely isn't.

kswiston

I think that one of the differences between black vs other minority representation in Hollywood is that black creators and communities have been actively making films (and TV shows) about their American experience for many decades now. The majority of these films are low budget affairs that make relatively little at the box office outside their target demographic, but they help grow acting talent and (eventually) recognition.

I don't see nearly as much of that coming from the Hispanic community yet. Maybe because much of the Hispanic community are first generation Americans or born outaide of the country. It's not like the academy hasn't recognized several Latino directors in recent years. They just arent American directors.

Edit: basically said above.

I think that one of the differences between black vs other minority representation in Hollywood is that black creators and communities have been actively making films (and TV shows) about their American experience for many decades now. The majority of these films are low budget affairs that make relatively little at the box office outside their target demographic, but they help grow acting talent and (eventually) recognition.

I don't see nearly as much of that coming from the Hispanic community yet. Maybe because much of the Hispanic community are first generation Americans or born outaide of the country. It's not like the academy hasn't recognized several Latino directors in recent years. They just arent American directors.

Exactly, although Black films on the low make good money. They're similar to horror movies: low risk, high reward. Not to mention African Americans created new film genres such as Blaxploitation and Hood films that have made it's impact and influenced others.

You have Lin Miranda who's first musical focused on the Latino American experience, won a Tony for it, and it's being adapted to a film which will give opportunities to other Latino Americans.

However Disney has a hold of him and they're going to use him to enrich other people's experiences such as the Polynesian film Moana, and Mary Poppins although he'll be cast in this.

a916

This isn't a problem with the Oscars... it's a problem with Hollywood. Yet for some reason people keep shining a light on the Oscars as if it's their fault people of color aren't given opportunity to shine. The Oscar's job is to highlight the best of the best. The issue isn't people of color are being snubbed, but they aren't even given the opportunity to get to that point.

People like Denzel and Viola Davis actually put in amazing work and should get recognised. But not because their color, but because they put in better work than their peers. Will Smith didn't get snubbed, sorry to break it to you Jada, he just wasn't good enough.

However, diversity in the voting pool is an issue and so is giving people of color not even being in the conversation when these roles or jobs are up for grabs.

Infinite

This isn't a problem with the Oscars... it's a problem with Hollywood. Yet for some reason people keep shining a light on the Oscars as if it's their fault people of color aren't given opportunity to shine. The Oscar's job is to highlight the best of the best. The issue isn't people of color are being snubbed, but they aren't even given the opportunity to get to that point.
Except they don't really do that. The Oscars has more or less become a marketing engine for Hollywood to advertise lower budget films. It's why we have terms like Oscar bait and why Oscar nominated movies hit rather predictable checklists. They are apart of the problem too

People like Denzel and Viola Davis actually put in amazing work and should get recognised. But not because their color, but because they put in better work than their peers.

However, diversity in the voting pool is an issue and so is giving people of color not even being in the conversation when these roles or jobs are up for grabs.

Yeah, I agree. The Oscars don't have anything to do with it. Hollywood is an elite predominately White institution that cultivates and develops unknown White actors to be stars. There's a huge pipeline of them that come from theater, musical theater, TV, comedy, to open auditions. That's not changing anytime soon. So it's up to people to circumvent the system and show there's a market out there for diversity or for Asian American or Latino/Hispanic American films.

Except they don't really do that. The Oscars has more or less become a marketing engine for Hollywood to advertise lower budget films. It's why we have terms like Oscar bait and why Oscar nominated movies hit rather predictable checklists. They are apart of the problem too

Oscars have very little if anything to do with the casting of films.

Bradford Young's been doing stupendous work. Glad to see it finally recognized.

Travesty that he didn't get nominated earlier for A Most Violent Year.

I agree with you.

That doesn't really help you if you're an American, though. I watch some nonAmerican films from time to time but I don't understand the language and there still exists cultural gaps.

It's kinda shitty and only really reinforces this notion of perputal foreigners, which in itself is a shitty, racist idea that still hasn't quite left Americans. Not sure if pointing at nonAmerican alternatives does anything but aggravate that.

Word. For a fourth generation Asian man who grew up in Queens, Hong Kong cinema is just as foreign to him as it is to the rest of America.

Infinite

Yeah, I agree. The Oscars don't have anything to do with it. Hollywood is an elite predominately White institution that cultivates and develops unknown White actors to be stars. There's a huge pipeline of them that come from theater, musical theater, TV, comedy, to open auditions. That's not changing anytime soon. So it's up to people to circumvent the system and show there's a market out there for diversity or for Asian American or Latino/Hispanic American films.

Oscars have very little if anything to do with the casting of films.
I didn't say anything about casting, friend

Chase17

Who decides whether someone is up for best act or supp? Seems odd to me that Viola Davis is in supporting instead of lead

Time to research.

Edit: Ah the studio

kswiston

Why is Dev Patel nominated as a supporting actor?

He's top billed and the main character?

There are no requirements to be a supporting actor vs a leading actor. He was placed there because the Weinstein Company decided he had a better shot at being nominated as a supporting actor and campaigned for that.

Infinite

I know but improving casting of Asians and Latinos in films will increase chances to be nominated for Oscars. It's a trickle down effect.

We don't disagree but Hollywood specifically making certain movies to cater to the taste of the Academy is definitely an issue that contributes to this overall. one that the academy itself can fix by changing the demographics of its voters.

Dabanton

I also think that always looking to Hollywood is not healthy.

I've had a lot of conversations with PoC creatives in my day to work who are happy that the likes of Netflix and Amazon are in the business now and also looking for good content as it has meant they are more open to 'riskier' ventures and ideas, which has been a boon to them.

Who decides whether someone is up for best act or supp? Seems odd to me that Viola Davis is in supporting instead of lead

Time to research.

Edit: Ah the studio

After watching Fences, I actually think Viola is in the right category. Denzel was THE lead for the majority of the film.

We don't disagree but Hollywood specifically making certain movies to cater to the taste of the Academy is definitely an issue that contributes to this overall. one that the academy itself can fix by changing the demographics of its voters.

I can't say it's the same now that they've open Best picture up. You've got a sci fi, modern western, Hollywood musical, historical space drama, stage play adaptation, historical war drama, and two other adult dramas.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I like how diversity is literally just black people. The second you bring some in, "time to pat yourselves on the back".

I remember someone championing Civil War for being diverse, when really it's like three white women and three black dudes in a sea of other white guys.

That's all diversity means in Hollywood. They threw some white women and black males a bone, say "they should be grateful, look how progressive we are", and everyone else that feels left out "is just complaining"

Are there any specific female cinematographers you feel deserve to have their work recognized? Not challenging you, I'm just not aware of many female cinematographers working in film today, so I'd be really interested to hear some examples.
Natasha Braier (Neon Demon)
Stephane Fontaine (Jackie, Elle)
Charlotte Bruus Christensen (Fences)

Dabanton

Never even heard of that film. Will definitely watch now. Thank you.

It's a great movie. I love 80s period pieces and it has a beautiful scary vibe to it.

Also for anyone who wants to specifically see Bradford Young's awesome cinematography and also a superb movie seek out 'Mother Of George'

Dabanton

I remember someone championing Civil War for being diverse, when really it's like three white women and three black dudes in a sea of other white guys.

That's all diversity means in Hollywood. They threw some white women and black males a bone, "they should be grateful", and everyone else that feels left out "is just complaining"

I've seen people on here say TFA was 'diverse'.

It's a great movie. I love 80s period pieces and it has a beautiful scary vibe to it.

Also for anyone who wants to specifically see Bradford Young's awesome cinematography and also a superb movie seek out 'Mother Of George'

Y'know what, I actually recently watched his work when I watched Dee Rees's Pariah on Netflix a couple of days ago. By the way, Dee Rees is making Oscar buzz with her new film Mudbound after it's screening this week at Sundance.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Without "Your Name", call the "Diversity"
Sounds interesting.

Chase17

But it's got a black dude! And a white girl! And a latino guy who felt he had to change his name to have a chance at being marketable in Hollywood!

Woah woah woah

Let's not forget that it had a 73 year old Harrison Ford. Extremely diverse age range in the film!

Infinite

After watching Fences, I actually think Viola is in the right category. Denzel was THE lead for the majority of the film.

I can't say it's the same now that they've open Best picture up. You've got a sci fi, modern western, Hollywood musical, historical space drama, stage play adaptation, historical war drama, and two other adult dramas.
Yeah, they have made improvements but that was after they realized their ratings were slipping. That lead to them giving movies like District 9 and Avatar best picture noms to save face the year after their ratings took a huge dip. They can still make improvements especially to how people get to be a part of the academy and I think they're doing something to that end particularly in response to last years outcry.

#OscarsSoWhite was so dumb. The Academy was representative of the problem, but not the source. Its production companies that aren't hiring actors and actresses of color that are the problem. The Academy can only nominate what's out there, and they snub movies of both colors equally. There's only so many slots.

If anything that dumb protest invalidated the performances that were nominated this year in some people's eyes. I've talked to people who believe that the Academy only nominated 6 black actors in response to the hashtag, which kinda sucks. Meanwhile no one with actual power has received significant pressure to change up hiring practices.

Yeah, they have made improvements but that was after they realized their ratings were slipping. That lead to them giving movies like District 9 and Avatar best picture noms to save face the year after their ratings took a huge dip. They can still make improvements especially to how people get to be a part of the academy and I think they're doing something to that end particularly in response to last years outcry.

I still think nothing will change fast enough until Asian American and Latino/ Hispanic American creators feel a social responsibility to focus on their unique experiences here and create narratives supporting it and putting it out to in order to show not only that it's good to great, but that their's a market for it.

Infinite

I still think nothing will change fast enough until Asian American and Latino/ Hispanic American creators feel a social responsibility to focus on their unique experiences here and create narratives supporting it and putting it out to in order to show not only that it's good to great, but that their's a market for it.

Can't argue there.

kswiston

I find it sad that the record is six.

Hollywood is casting predominantly American, Canadian, UK, and Australian actors. That adds up to a lot of white people, even before you get into preferential casting.

Of the 20 acting nominations, 13 of the actors are American (9 white, 4 black). 6 are from the Commonwealth (including Ruth Negga and Naomie Harris), and the last one is the French Isabelle Huppert.

EDIT: If 1/3 of the acting roles in wide release films were actually going to non-white actors (especially the lead roles), I don't think there would be as much of an issue.

Can't argue there.

I mean you have M. Night Shyamalan who has the #1 movie in America and has never created an Asian American narrative ever or more specifically an Indian American narrative in his films. Nor has he ever cast an Asian American or specifically an Indian American in a lead role; however he did hook them up to play villains in Avatar. LOL Despite his success, he's inadvertently has been a cog in a Hollywood machine for providing more opportunities for White actors and the occasional Black actor.

African Americans already know if you don't create it yourself and cast other African Americans, Hollywood isn't going to help you.

Hollywood is casting predominantly American, Canadian, UK, and Australian actors. That adds up to a lot of white people, even before you get into preferential casting.

Of the 20 acting nominations, 13 of the actors are American (9 white, 4 black). 6 are from the Commonwealth (including Ruth Negga and Naomie Harris), and the last one is the French Isabelle Huppert.

This is also true.

LotusHD

Banned

Well I know lots of people perceive the black community as being too "obsessed" or "loud" about race and diversity (Which I am completely fine with, rather be "loud" than silent lol), but I wonder if they see other communities like Asian Amercians as the complete opposite, that they don't seem to care enough.

Well I know lots of people perceive the black community as being too "obsessed" or "loud" about race and diversity (Which I am completely fine with, rather be "loud" than silent lol), but I wonder if they see other communities like Asian Amercians as the complete opposite, that they don't seem to care enough.

It's the consequence of desiring full assimilation or being labeled the "model minority" without fighting back loud enough against that. You continue to remain invisible and perpetual foreigner while focus on fitting in rather than standing out. You also become a cog in a machine designed to churn out more White media without ever questioning it and just happy helping out.

Deepwater

Black have such a history for organizing for our rights that it makes sense why any semblance of progress tends to be include black people first. We make the most noise.

I remember this sort of being a critique because a lot of non black people of color saw #OscarsSoWhite being #OscarsNotBlackEnough, and while black people definitely wanted to see more faces that looked like them, there was some friction because there was the perception that NBPOC expected us to do the heavy lifting to getting EVERYBODY exposure in Hollywood.

This is really the case in general. Black Americans by far and large are the most vocal minority group in America, and (in my perception and experience) lots of NBPOC sort of support us in solidarity, but don't do the same when organizing for their own communities.

I think back to my time in my college's Black Student Union, and we have the Latino Student Org and we were pretty friendly with them, but they were much less concerned about diversity issues outside of us asking them to support us when we shook the table on diversity issues at our school. Not to say that there aren't latino/asian people doing work for their communities (I'm definitely not saying that), but from my perception it's not as common in those communities as it is in ours

Shaanyboi

Banned

Watch the fourth episode of Master of None, where Indian actors are more or less set on eachother, competing for the same thankless corner.

Or the amount of criticism Mindy Kaling has received for doing absolutely fucking nothing to help Indian (or even women) creators.

man, if only these other minorities would pull their own weight and be as proactive as us Blacks, we might actually get somewhere. wake up and put in some work other minorities.

man, if only these other minorities would pull their own weight and be as proactive as us Blacks, we might actually get somewhere. wake up and put in some work other minorities.

971.gif

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Any advice on how to proceed in the basement? I got the scorpion key and about 42 handgun rounds but
there are just too many of these black mother fuckers.

Takes me normally seven rounds each.

Edit: WOOOOOOW I MEANT TO POST IN THE RESIDENT EVIL 7 THREAD JESUS FUCK

Shaanyboi

Banned
Any advice on how to proceed in the basement? I got the scorpion key and about 42 handgun rounds but

OfficeMut showing his/her true colors!

LotusHD

Banned
It's the consequence of desiring full assimilation or being labeled the "model minority" without fighting back loud enough against that. You continue to remain invisible and perpetual foreigner while focus on fitting in rather than standing out. You also become a cog in a machine designed to churn out more White media without ever questioning it and just happy helping out.

Black have such a history for organizing for our rights that it makes sense why any semblance of progress tends to be include black people first. We make the most noise.

I remember this sort of being a critique because a lot of non black people of color saw #OscarsSoWhite being #OscarsNotBlackEnough, and while black people definitely wanted to see more faces that looked like them, there was some friction because there was the perception that NBPOC expected us to do the heavy lifting to getting EVERYBODY exposure in Hollywood.

This is really the case in general. Black Americans by far and large are the most vocal minority group in America, and (in my perception and experience) lots of NBPOC sort of support us in solidarity, but don't do the same when organizing for their own communities.

I think back to my time in my college's Black Student Union, and we have the Latino Student Org and we were pretty friendly with them, but they were much less concerned about diversity issues outside of us asking them to support us when we shook the table on diversity issues at our school. Not to say that there aren't latino/asian people doing work for their communities (I'm definitely not saying that), but from my perception it's not as common in those communities as it is in ours

Watch the fourth episode of Master of None, where Indian actors are more or less set on eachother, competing for the same thankless corner.

Or the amount of criticism Mindy Kaling has received for doing absolutely fucking nothing to help Indian (or even women) creators.

Okay cool, good to know that it isn't exactly an uncommon thought.

Wow, that is uhh... unfortunate, to put it lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom