• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure coming to Steam

Atelier let's you select resolutions up to 4k from the launcher.
Nights of Azure only shows resolutions up to 1080p in the launcher, but you can choose whatever resolution you want by changing a registry entry (yes, it's incredibly stupid that it's not in the launcher, but at least it's possible and only takes like 10 seconds)
It's under HKEY_USERS -> SOFTWARE -> KoeiTecmo -> Nights of Azure -> Settings
uRhWdX1.png

Change the first 2 values in device to whatever resolution you want.

oh thats cool

I'll get it - thanks Ascheroth for GMG pretty good price with the 15% off

Atelier let's you select resolutions up to 4k from the launcher.
Nights of Azure only shows resolutions up to 1080p in the launcher, but you can choose whatever resolution you want by changing a registry entry (yes, it's incredibly stupid that it's not in the launcher, but at least it's possible and only takes like 10 seconds)
It's under HKEY_USERS -> SOFTWARE -> KoeiTecmo -> Nights of Azure -> Settings
uRhWdX1.png

Change the first 2 values in device to whatever resolution you want.

Will it support other aspect ratios as well?

Durante

Could you elaborate? I don't entirely understand; is the CPU showing 90-100% false data? I noticed some people pointing that out have stuttering problems.
It's correct data in principle, it's just a matter of people not being good at interpreting it.

What's happening is that the game apparently uses OpenMP for some parallelization, which by default spawns as many threads as there are CPU cores (or rather hardware threads on a hyperthreading system) and most of the threads spawned by it wind up busy waiting. This means they are using CPU but not really doing anything.

The reason I say it's not a real issue is that they are waiting because there is nothing for them to do. So that CPU utilization only comes into play when there is nothing to do for them, which means that it doesn't really affect performance. I guess it's not a complete non-issue since it will affect energy consumption.

It's correct data in principle, it's just a matter of people not being good at interpreting it.

What's happening is that the game apparently uses OpenMP for some parallelization, which by default spawns as many threads as there are CPU cores (or rather hardware threads on a hyperthreading system) and most of the threads spawned by it wind up busy waiting. This means they are using CPU but not really doing anything.

The reason I say it's not a real issue is that they are waiting because there is nothing for them to do. So that CPU utilization only comes into play when there is nothing to do for them, which means that it doesn't really affect performance. I guess it's not a complete non-issue since it will affect energy consumption.

Thanks for details. So is this easy to fix or need lot of work?

Edit for below: Thanks again!

Durante

Thanks for details. So is this easy to fix or need lot of work?
It should be easy to fix. You just need to sleep instead of busy waiting.

But as I said, unless you are doing something else which is CPU-intensive at the same time as the game or running on a battery it shouldn't really affect you even in its current state.

Knurek

Durante, in case you missed my post in the Steam thread - is there anything special needed for the SGSSAA in Atelier? Compatibily bits?
Could you post screenshot of your NVIDIA Inspector profile? Just want to make sure I set up mine correctly.

Blah, going to guess this isn't easily fixable?

I've only played some of Atelier Ayesha, which I really enjoyed as a chill-out game on my Vita (despite the Vita version's performance being miserable). Thinking of picking up Sophie, but I've heard mixed things about it and the 2D assets on the PC version being inferior is pretty disappointing.

Nights of Azure is tempting as well - I was interested pre-release, but then the impressions were all fairly negative.

But as I said, unless you are doing something else which is CPU-intensive at the same time as the game or running on a battery it shouldn't really affect you even in its current state.

The problem seems to be that people don't necessarily have perfectly clean fans, or really good heat dispersal setups or are overclocking without appropriate additional cooling so the high consumption from busy waiting is causing the CPU to overheat (which will cause throttling or shutdown to avoid damage).

Gbraga

Bought.

Atelier is DX9, right? I'd love to use GeDoSaTo.

EDIT: Guess it is!

Are High Shadows glitched or is it because of the resolution? It looks incredible!

Parsnip

No way to skip the launcher in Atelier, right?
For some reason the resolution list populates itself in a different order almost every launch, so I have check that 4K is selected every time I launch the game.

Just got both of these tonight, Atelier runs amazingly but even at just 1080 Azure is having tons of fps problems and the controls on the 360 controller seem really messed up

Ascheroth

Just got both of these tonight, Atelier runs amazingly but even at just 1080 Azure is having tons of fps problems and the controls on the 360 controller seem really messed up

You need to reassign all the buttons in the launcher once. They're completely broken by default. You can just press the buttons one after the other and the launcher will detect it.
It run fine for me at 1440p.

studyguy

I miss the time limit, but now that it's off, Atelier is literally my comfy relaxing game to play at night to unwind slowly.

BONKERS

Man, how is it tk cannot get this shit right after years and like a dozen releases of practice? I don't know how anyone can justify downsizing and applying even more compression to the UI assets. And how is it they support arbitrary resolutions in game for one but not the other?I just cannot wrap my head around this.

Nyoro SF

Man, how is it tk cannot get this shit right after years and like a dozen releases of practice? I don't know how anyone can justify downsizing and applying even more compression to the UI assets. And how is it they support arbitrary resolutions in game for one but not the other?I just cannot wrap my head around this.

Probably an alloted ramshackle and disordered development environment for their (small) crew that makes the PC versions.

Pejo

Gold Member
I miss the time limit, but now that it's off, Atelier is literally my comfy relaxing game to play at night to unwind slowly.

Whoah whoah whoah. Atelier doesn't have time limits anymore? Since when?

Might actually buy now.

BONKERS

Probably an alloted ramshackle and disordered development environment for their (small) crew that makes the PC versions.

You'd think someone would have the balls to stand up for a change. Oh wait, these are Japanese corporate structure we are talking about. Fall in line and do what you are told.

Probably not far from the truth.

Someone needs to give them a wake up call.

Yeah, put me down as missing the time limits while also being glad they're gone.

I wish they'd kept a time limit on the main plot but let you screw around in a timeless post game kinda thing to work out recipes/locations and perfect equipment, think that would have been the best of both worlds.

Fuck how does anyone have time for AS? This game seems like it has so much going on.

Imagine if it still had a hard time limit... It's one of the things that paralyzed me in some of the older titles. I actually only played Ayesha in the Dusk trilogy after finishing part of the Arland trilogy because I kept getting so stressed -_-

Game bought, downloading now. I'm also going to test the game on my lower-mid tier laptop since we seem to not have many people trying the lower end for comparisons.

redlemon

Fuck how does anyone have time for AS? This game seems like it has so much going on.

I've only played Atelier Rorona Plus but the non-game over requirements are generally quite lenient and the rest is up to your sense of completion or what characters you like.

FWIW, it runs well enough (at 30 FPS) on my ultraportable with integrated graphics.

The stutter....

This laptop's i5-4210U (1.7-2.4ghz) and 840M is playing it at native resolution at 60fps with medium shadows... but the stutter is outright awful. I tried the 1-CPU fix listed above, but that didn't do much or anything. I'll play around some more if only cause I need my Atelier fix.

Gbraga

The stutter....

This laptop's i5-4210U (1.7-2.4ghz) and 840M is playing it at native resolution at 60fps with medium shadows... but the stutter is outright awful. I tried the 1-CPU fix listed above, but that didn't do much or anything. I'll play around some more if only cause I need my Atelier fix.

Try windowed mode.

Try windowed mode.

It's worse.

It's very steady, looks to be once per second. Reminds me of Mario Kart 8, only instead of a single frame, it's probably closer to 5-10.

I tried forcing high priority as some have suggested on the steam forums and it's still the same.

(edit) sonnava.... -_- I plugged in my DS4 and the stutter is gone. The game is constantly polling for a controller and that was causing the stutter.

What's the best method to emulate a 360 pad with a DS4 since there is no custom configuration?

(edit 2) And figured it out. Game plays beautifully now. Still not the port I'd hope for, but it is probably the port I deserve.

Still have the PS4 versions for both of them sealed here. Do they run on PS4 with 60fps awell? My Gaming PC is mediocre but would atleast run the games at 1080p60fps, but these ports do not look too hot. Should I stick with the PS4 versions?

Gbraga

It's worse.

It's very steady, looks to be once per second. Reminds me of Mario Kart 8, only instead of a single frame, it's probably closer to 5-10.

I tried forcing high priority as some have suggested on the steam forums and it's still the same.

(edit) sonnava.... -_- I plugged in my DS4 and the stutter is gone. The game is constantly polling for a controller and that was causing the stutter.

What's the best method to emulate a 360 pad with a DS4 since there is no custom configuration?

(edit 2) And figured it out. Game plays beautifully now. Still not the port I'd hope for, but it is probably the port I deserve.

The power of love saves the day again!

Still have the PS4 versions for both of them sealed here. Do they run on PS4 with 60fps awell? My Gaming PC is mediocre but would atleast run the games at 1080p60fps, but these ports do not look too hot. Should I stick with the PS4 versions?

I'm a joker and still haven't played my copy of Sophie, but NOA runs 60 most of the time until things get chaotic. It never gets to unplayable status, though.

I put in out of office time to compile a report to make sure our team addresses the PC issues.
Here's hoping for a brighter future.

Could you tell them about Night of Azure launcher being locked to 1080p resolution while the game support arbitrary resolution ?
Also Atelier Sophie 2D arts being badly filtered/lower res than PS4 version ?

Top Bottom