• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

You can't remove them from the list, but if they are "unchecked," they won't be added to the NESCE when you re-sync. You may have to remove more N64 roms.

Yeah its all working good now..I unchecked some games and all is good now..wish there was some sort of excel spreadsheet of the N64 and SNES games confirmed working that way if I know some of them are not even working I will just remove them

Kilau

You can't remove them from the list, but if they are "unchecked," they won't be added to the NESCE when you re-sync. You may have to remove more N64 roms.

You can remove added games from the list completely with a right click and delete, doesn't not actually delete the ROM.

If you meant the original 30, yeah those can only be unchecked.

dock

Do previously incompatible games like Japanese Castlevania 3 now work on Hakchi 2.12?

Are there any major sound or compatibility problems with PC Engine or Genesis games?

Do retroarch games get save states using the regular interface?

I built a HTPC recently largely to play emulated games but I don't like the save state interface in Launchbox/Retroarch.

KeRaSh

So I finally got an order in on Monday and now I'm trying to go through all this information.
How are people playing SNES roms? Are you using an adapter to use a different controller?

Robin64

So I finally got an order in on Monday and now I'm trying to go through all this information.
How are people playing SNES roms? Are you using an adapter to use a different controller?

Wii's Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro have the same connector as the NES Mini, so work just fine. The Home button even functions as the NES Mini's reset button.

KeRaSh

Wii's Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro have the same connector as the NES Mini, so work just fine. The Home button even functions as the NES Mini's reset button.

Awesome. Will order one of those for sure once I got everything set up. Thanks!

radcliff

Ok, so definitely use snes9x2005 over snes9x2010.

Yoshi's Island goes from a slide show to fully playable.

How do I do this? Where is the mod and how do I choose it over the default one in the NESCE? Do I just put the hmod file in user mods folder and install in the modules tab of the NESCE?

radcliff

Does this sound right?:

1) navigate here https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armhf/latest/
2) download the snes9x2005 core
3)unzip in your user_mods/etc/cores folder
4) navigate back two folders and open the /bin folder
5) copy 'snes' and save a copy as something else (I.e., 'newsnes')
6) edit newsnes in notepad. Change the ' snes9x2010' to 'snes9x2005'
7) uninstall /reinstall retroarch
8) for every snes game in Hackchi2, change the command line /snes part to /newsnes
9) re-upload your games
10) enjoy!

Chucker

You don't have to reupload your games. It's tricky on mobile, but a few posts above that post you copied has the easier way.

Here is the post I used.
Just use the files within the libretro_core_template zip file to create an snes9x2005 version. Find the .so and .info files for snes9x2005 online and swap them into the core and info subfolders within the 'etc' folder of retroarch.hmod. Change the word 'core' in the 'core' file within the libretro_core_template zip in notepad to 'snes9x2005' and then rename the file to 'snes'. Put that file in the 'bin' folder of retroarch.hmod

This requires using PCM's retroarch setup which is pieced out by core.

https://github.com/pcm720/retroarch-clover/releases

radcliff

You don't have to reupload your games. It's tricky on mobile, but a few posts above that post you copied has the easier way.

Here is the post I used.

This requires using PCM's retroarch setup which is pieced out by core.

https://github.com/pcm720/retroarch-clover/releases

lol, I was just about to edit my post with this:

Step 7 you are stuck right? In hackchi click modules click uninstall modules and check retroarch and uninstall it. Then click modules click install modules and check retroarch and reinstall mod. Then go to the games and fix the command. But If you don't want To have to change the command for the all the games to use it then it's simple. Instead of making a duplicate file just don't. Use the same snes bin and just change that bin in the notepad to the core you want want to use. Then it will now be default core. Won't have to change anything to the games command

So to do this, I have to download the releases called "Template for Adding New Cores," "Cores Now Represented as Additional Modules," and "New Release?"

Each of these releases contain the retroarch_mod.hmod. Do I have to install each retroarch hmod or can I keep the one I'm currently using?

Chucker

Each of these releases contain the retroarch_mod.hmod. Do I have to install each retroarch hmod or can I keep the one I'm currently using?
Personally I uninstalled the mods, closed Hakchi, deleted the old mods, put the new ones in the directory and then reinstalled.

You might not have to do all that, but I wanted a clean slate.

Fredrik

This sounds so cool!

I've been fiddling around with Raspberry Pi quite a bit, how is NES Classic Mini compared to RPI3 when it comes to performance?

radcliff

Personally I uninstalled the mods, closed Hakchi, deleted the old mods, put the new ones in the directory and then reinstalled.

You might not have to do all that, but I wanted a clean slate.

Makes sense. So I would just use the retroarch_mod.hmod from the latest release?

Usb mass media is coming.

That would be freakin awesome!!! Also cant stand how I have to sync a few times in order for this to work(Since I have so many games) for sega genesis games..I got some and the file name ends in .MD so wanted to be sure that is correct..some games are "World" while others are "USA/Europe" very few USA games..they are Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Im hoping that is the right one

radcliff

So I switched to snes9x2005 and all the games sound awful! Many sound effects of games are changed and the music levels are off. Is this normal? I think I would rather not be able to play YI, but play they other games in their normal sound.

I finally managed to snag a backup NES Mini, so I can finally go town on my original one. (I wanted to have a clean original one as insurance, I'm a nervous nelly after hard-bricking my original Wii lol).

Can't wait to try this!

Chucker

So I switched to snes9x2005 and all the games sound awful! Many sound effects of games are changed and the music levels are off. Is this normal? I think I would rather not be able to play YI, but play they other games in their normal sound.
Might be your rom.

radcliff

Might be your rom.

Everything sounded fine with the SNES9X2010. I noticed sound effects issues as soon as I switched to 2005 in just about every game I tried. Castlevania IV (basically all sound effects are of a lesser quality), Zelda (the rain sound effects), Super Mario World, (power up pick up and activate sound effects).

If you don't mind, could you try Castlevania IV? You will hear a differnce right at the title screen. The wolf's howl was off. Just about all sfx were off.

Chucker

Everything sounded fine with the SNES9X2010. I noticed sound effects issues as soon as I switched to 2005 in just about every game I tried. Castlevania IV (basically all sound effects are of a lesser quality), Zelda (the rain sound effects), Super Mario World, (power up pick up and activate sound effects).

If you don't mind, could you try Castlevania IV? You will hear a differnce right at the title screen. The wolf's howl was off. Just about all sfx were off.
Yeah. I'm at my night job til midnight eastern, I'll try to give it a shot then.

radcliff

Yeah. I'm at my night job til midnight eastern, I'll try to give it a shot then.

Great! Thanks in advance. If its just a rom issue, it will be an easy fix. Bur my Zelda rom has the [!] prefix, which I thought meant it was a verified good rom and yet the rain does not sound right at all.

Just tried Super SF2 and the blocking attacks sound effects don't sound right either. Again, I had no sound issues with snes9x2010.

JP

I've been using snes9x2005 and I've found it to be far better than the 2010 version for most games.

I think what's worth remembering here is that the only "official", for lack of a better word, version of hakchi2.12 is the one I posted a link to here. Any other version that you've installed after that by somebody who isn't ClusterM is a variation on that build and best seen as work in progress so all the addition, such as removing the bilinear filter, are not yet finalised and could end up changing quite a bit by the time v2.13 is released.

v2.13 will almost certainly be far more stable than the different version floating around, run better and be a lot easier to install. There will be a lot less messing around with stuff when the next build is released.

I'm new to this stuff and didn't realise this and have spent far too much time trying different builds with extra things being added and it's just been an absolute pain at times. I've now decided that I'm just going to wait for the stable 2.13 build and just make do with the version I currently have installed. It may not be perfect but it does work and it will improve with the next build.

If other people here, like me, don't really know what they're doing with these things and are struggling at times to get improvements released after 2.12 to work then you may want to do the same and realise that the version you're using may not be perfect but at leat it's working.

When will 2.13 be release? No idea but the gaps between releases previously have been
anywhere around the 2 days, 5 days, 1 day and 3 weeks type area and 2.12 was released four days ago so it could be another couple of weeks or so.

This is a list of the commits/improvements that have happened over the past few days and these will speed up as improvements that ClusterM and other people are trolled into 2.13. The work of many different people will go into ClusterM's v2.13 by the time it's released and people using the different versions that are available are testing it as it coms together.

Seriously though, if you don't want to be messing around with stuff and rather just have simple to install, stable releases that hopefully just work, then I'd really recommend sticking with the official releases.

radcliff

I've been using snes9x2005 and I've found it to be far better than the 2010 version for most games.

I think what's worth remembering here is that the only "official", for lack of a better word, version of hakchi2.12 is the one I posted a link to here. Any other version that you've installed after that by somebody who isn't ClusterM is a variation on that build and best seen as work in progress so all the addition, such as removing the bilinear filter, are not yet finalised and could end up changing quite a bit by the time v2.13 is released.

v2.13 will almost certainly be far more stable than the different version floating around, run better and be a lot easier to install. There will be a lot less messing around with stuff when the next build is released.

I'm new to this stuff and didn't realise this and have spent far too much time trying different builds with extra things being added and it's just been an absolute pain at times. I've now decided that I'm just going to wait for the stable 2.13 build and just make do with the version I currently have installed. It may not be perfect but it does work and it will improve with the next build.

If other people here, like me, don't really know what they're doing with these things and are struggling at times to get improvements released after 2.12 to work then you may want to do the same and realise that the version you're using may not be perfect but at leat it's working.

When will 2.13 be release? No idea but the gaps between releases previously have been
anywhere around the 2 days, 5 days, 1 day and 3 weeks type area and 2.12 was released four days ago so it could be another couple of weeks or so.

This is a list of the commits/improvements that have happened over the past few days and these will speed up as improvements that ClusterM and other people are trolled into 2.13. The work of many different people will go into ClusterM's v2.13 by the time it's released and people using the different versions that are available are testing it as it coms together.

Seriously though, if you don't want to be messing around with stuff and rather just have simple to install, stable releases that hopefully just work, then I'd really recommend sticking with the official releases.

Sounds like a good idea. I think I will wait for the next official build going forward. But tell me, do you also hear the sound issues with snes9x2005 too? If you have Castlevania IV, go to the title screen and press "start." The wolf's howl and most of the sound effects in the game are of a lesser quality when running it in snes9x2005. I think I may go back to the default snes9x2010 even if it means Yoshi's Island will be unplayable.

most of the sound effects in the game are of a lesser quality when running it in snes9x2005. I think I may go back to the default snes9x2010 even if it means Yoshi's Island will be unplayable.
this is just RetroArch. snes9x2005 is a totally different, older, less capable emulator than snes9x2010. A lot happened in those 5 years.

On 3DS I pick and choose one of the four SNES emulators depending on the game I want to play. if that's not possible on NES Mini then hopefully it will be soon. It's still early days.

It's Riiiiiidge Racer!!!

More specifically, it's the PAL version of Riiiiiidge Racer running at a higher resolution.
giphy.gif

EDIT: Quick question for those in the know:

I finally got around to doing my Mini. I've added a bunch of NES games.

If I want to dabble in some Retroarch/SNES, etc, I can add those through Hakchi right and it won't affect my NES games installed?

JP

Hakchi V2.13

What's New
  • Finally hakchi2 shows size of all selected games in main window. Why I have not done it before?
  • One font to rule them all. New font contains HUGE amount of characters now. Including Latin supplement, Cyrillic, Hiragana, Katakana, etc. So NES Mini and Famicom Mini uses the same font now and you can create folders with very unusual characters (in Russian, for example).
  • The main idea to separate hakchi2 from non-NES games failed, so it's optimized for 3rd path emulators now (i.e. RetroArch).
  • Added presets for Sega 32x and Game Gear games, without images yet.
  • "/bin/path-to-your-app" replaced by "/bin/ext" for unknown extensions.
  • Compression support! Since RetroArch can run games directly from archives it's possible now to compress non-NES games using 7-Zip. This feature enabled by default but you can disable it in the settings menu. Also you can add the whole archive (required by MAME games).
  • Fixed huge bug in folder manager when new folders were missed after first sync.
  • Some minor bugfixes.
Some important news
RetroArch mod has separate repository: https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover
I created only buggy sketch of this mod and granted full access to pcm720. And he did a really great job with tuning, optimization and core modules. Please update to the latest version:
https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover/releases
And send bugreports to https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover/issues

And some other very good news. I discovered a way to access NES Mini's shell and memory directly without any soldering. It was the main problem: with current version of hakchi2 we can't read anything from NES Mini, we can only create script for writing and execute it. That's why hakchi2 has not any ability to check which games are installed, how many space left, backup save-states, upload only new games (without reuploading everything). It is surprising that we have not noticed this method before. So feature versions will be much better. But it requires a lot of work.

TODO List
  • Translation tool
  • Update FAQ
  • Rewrite hakchi for using new methods

Picked up a NES Mini today. First thing i did was add some more games to it, didn't think it would be that easy. Probably going to look into adding SNES and GB/GBA games next, but i need a controller with more buttons for those, right?

JP

So is the one we have been waiting for for a very simple use case? I still have not taken the step to trying this.
It is, I'm going to try and explain the full process of updating this or installing it for the first time. Bear in mind, I'm in no way an expert about this stuff so others who know more may well correct me

The process is correct though.

I hope this helps somebody, I'm completely new to this stuff and I was confused as hell when I started an I still am about some things. ��

----------

INSTALLING HAKCHI 2.13 ON YOUR PC
Hakch is is the programme that allows us to "hack" the NES Mini.

The first thing we need to do is to install hakchi or to update the version that you have installed already, if it's an older version. Download hakchi2.zip and move to the downloaded hakchi2 folder over to wherever your current hakchi2 folder is, it will ask you if you want to copy over files with the same name that are in the earlier folder. When you do that it won't copy over things like your settings, games and original kernel dump. They'll all still be exactly where they were before.

Done, you've installed hakchi 2.13 on your PC.

----------

PREPARING RETROARCH ON YOUR PC
The "hacking" that we're doing is running additional emulators on the NES Mini, these different emulators are all components of a larger programme called RetroArch. RetroArch allows us to change settings in the installed emulators, to change the emulator that we use for a specific consoles, etc. Download retroarch-clover-master using the green "Clone or Download" button on the right hand side of the screen.

We now need to add the emulator files to wherever you've installed hakchi on your PC, the emulators in this case are known as modules. These modules include the different emulators themselves, the RetroArch program which controls these emulators and any other hacks that we may want to add.*

First of all, you need to add these modules to the hakchi program, you do this by going into the retroarch-clover-master folder that you've just downloaded and dragging the .hmod folders or files over to wherever you just installed hakchi and drop them into the user_mods folder within the main hakchi2 folder. Again, it may tell you that you've already got one in there with the same name that you've copying over.

Inside the retroarch-clover-master folder that you downloaded, there are three .hmod folders as soon as you go into it. The first one, retroarch.hmod MUST be installed as it enables all the other hacks to work, move retroarch.hmod across to the user_mods folder in hakchi2. The other two, bios_template.hmod and libretro_core_template.hmod are templates which are there to assist people who are custom adding their own bios and librettos to hakchi, I don't anything about doing that but you don't have to copy them across if you're not going to use them to do that.

Inside the retroarch-clover-master folder that you were just dragging stuff from there's another folder called core_modules and that's where the majority of the .hmod folders are that you need to copy across to the user_mods folder are. Each one is a different hack and you may again get a message telling you that you're copying something that has the same name as a something that is already inside the user_mods folder.

Done, you've now installed the emulators into Hackchi 2.13 on your PC.

*I've noticed this time that modules aren't always emulators, they've actually included a new XMB styled theme which is also a module.

----------

INSTALLING THE EMULATORS ON YOUR NES MINI
Now, we need to install the emulators from your PC onto your NES Mini

Open the hakchi.exe program that you installed earlier. Remember that the emulators in hakchi are known as modules, so in hakchi select the Modules heading and you'll see two options, Install Extra Modules and Uninstall Extra Modules. I don't know how accurate this is but some people have suggested that if you're adding new modules that it's always best to uninstall the modules that you already have installed. Accurate or not, I always do it though.

Instaling and uninstalling uses the same process, you select either Install Extra Modules and Uninstall Extra Modules which will bring up a list of all the different modules that you've put in your hakchi folder earlier.

Remember, you MUST install the retroarch module for anything else to work, all the others are optional. Select any module and it will show notes for that particular module explaining what it does. Other modules in there will be music_hack which allows you to disable the menu music or change it to whatever music that you want and any template modules that you chose to pace in the core_modules folder earlier.

You don't need the template modules on your NES Mini so don't select them. Once you've selected al the modules that you want to install or uninstall, select the "OK" button at the bottom of the widow and follow any instructions that it gives you.

You've now installed RetroArch and the modules/emulators on your NES Mini.

----------

Install your games as normal, keeping an eye on the new green bar at the base of the window which shows you how much space you still have remaining.

dock

It is, I'm going to try and explain the full process of updating this or installing it for the first time. Bear in mind, I'm in no way an expert about this stuff so others who know more may well correct me

Thank-you for this! I struggled for quite a while yesterday and I still think there's something wrong with my installation (hakchi keeps asking to dump the kernal). I am planning to wipe my NES Classic with my dump and 2.10 and then start again with 2.12 and a bunch of handpicked ROMs.

I finally managed to snag a mini off amazon yesterday. I'm mostly interested in adding more NES roms since I have a variety of ways to play Retroarch. My questions are 1) is this hack relatively safe in terms of not bricking the device? Say, as painless as hacking a PSP? And 2) is there a hard limit on the number of roms you can install without making the stock mini UI unusable?

Top Bottom