• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR has sold over 900,000 units to date

ChouGoku

Summer Lesson doing work!

Can't really fathom the doom and gloom when the sales are going past Sony's own projections.

This is actually a success.

I think with hype and disappointment that has followed with gaming related stuff people now want to be the person who at the end says "see I told you". Yes this is a success but since its not doing ps4 numbers you will have the people who wish failure just so they can be right.

HalfJoey

Neo Member
I've been seeing a few in stock around me and they're really tempting to pick up. Should I buy the base model and buy the camera separately or should I buy the full $499 bundle to get the Move controllers?

Hmmmm.....selling 900K units to date isn't impressive at all especially when you consider that their original forecast was 2.6M by the end of 2016 and was then lowered to 750K by the end of 2016. Adjusted forecast of 2.6M in less than three months to 1M in six months says bomb to me.

PSVR is dead. Like I said since the beginning, all of VR is nothing more than an expensive gimmick. Add in the fact that it was rushed to market, oversaturated around the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro as well as the fact that it used a decade old technology for the controllers and yeah, it's dead.

What Sony should have done was eliminate the Move controllers, create something new for it, eliminate the processing unit, up the specs and save it for a side by side launch with PS5. Imagine PS5 having 4K, HDR and PSVR along side it as opposed to Sony rushing it all out when they clearly didn't need to. 55M PS4 units sold should have told them, why the hell are we doing this? Oh well.
Their starting projections were 4% of ps4 user base for the whole of PSVR lifetime sales so I have no idea where your getting your numbers.

I've been seeing a few in stock around me and they're really tempting to pick up. Should I buy the base model and buy the camera separately or should I buy the full $499 bundle to get the Move controllers?
If you have the funds and the bundle is available buy the bundle. Get batman and rush of blood-play them- log back in to thank me
Their starting projections were 4% of ps4 user base for the whole of PSVR lifetime sales so I have no idea where your getting your numbers.
That supersales or whatever they're called analyst site.

If you dont have working move controllers/camera you may as well get the bundle, it comes with a game too.

Hmmmm.....selling 900K units to date isn't impressive at all especially when you consider that their original forecast was 2.6M by the end of 2016 and was then lowered to 750K by the end of 2016. Adjusted forecast of 2.6M in less than three months to 1M in six months says bomb to me.

PSVR is dead. Like I said since the beginning, all of VR is nothing more than an expensive gimmick. Add in the fact that it was rushed to market, oversaturated around the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro as well as the fact that it used a decade old technology for the controllers and yeah, it's dead.

What Sony should have done was eliminate the Move controllers, create something new for it, eliminate the processing unit, up the specs and save it for a side by side launch with PS5. Imagine PS5 having 4K, HDR and PSVR along side it as opposed to Sony rushing it all out when they clearly didn't need to. 55M PS4 units sold should have told them, why the hell are we doing this? Oh well.

Could they even have produced 2.6M units by the end of 2016? Seems like they can't even keep up with demand in many places as is.

poodaddy

Once they offer a compelling bundle at about the $300 price point I'm in. Picked up a Pro recently purely so I can get PSVR at some point as I've seen a lot of claims that the Pro really assists VR image quality a lot. I'm patient though, so I don't mind waiting a couple years for a price drop.

PSVR is dead.

You're confusing Sony's original 1 million forecast with SuperData's 2.6 million forecast.

SuperData are a market research firm who are known to inflate their numbers in order to sell their data.

Kysen

While an impressive figure, the closure of one of their VR studios as well as the complete silence on the 1st party software front I'm expecting it to be Vita'd. As in they will just stop talking about it and praying that 3rd party pick up the slack. Sony only ever puts 100% into their consoles, everything else (including phones) they drop like a rock the moment it stops selling. $350 is a lot of money to invest into a platform with no long term software.

While an impressive figure, the closure of one of their VR studios as well as the complete silence on the 1st party software front I'm expecting it to be Vita'd. As in they will just stop talking about it and praying that 3rd party pick up the slack. Sony only ever puts 100% into their consoles, everything else (including phones) they drop like a rock the moment it stops selling. $350 is a lot of money to invest into a platform with no long term software.
Closed one studio and opened up an entirely VR focused one(no one brings this up naturally). GG wasn't a vr studio either

ZehDon

DyLj9az.gif
Perfect.

Norse

So, 900000 units WW during the biggest shopping season for a launch!? That's not good at all. Plus, what % of those were purchased in Japan? Article kind of hints at Japan being the most successful market for it at the moment.

As for availability, I have seen them at local Walmart all but one time since it launched. Niche product at best until they hit 199.99 imo.

None of them really appeal to me but there is an upcoming game that seems to be a Japan exclusive at the moment called Kowloon Gate which is a remake of an old PS1 RPG. I really hope that gets released in the west.

Oh neat, I'd never heard of this game or the old original before. Cool.
The artstyle and environment looks like it'll look really awesome in VR.

Loudninja

Even Andrew House, global chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment, the video game division of the Japanese electronics giant, had doubts about how quickly virtual reality would be embraced by the mass market. So when Sony needed to decide how many of a new virtual reality headset to manufacture, Mr. House was among those inside the company advising that Sony make fewer of them.

“It’s the classic case in any organization — the guys who are on the front end in sales are getting very excited, very hyped up,” Mr. House said. “You have to temper that with other voices inside the company, myself among them, saying let’s just be a little bit careful.”
Mr. House said the supply of PlayStation VR headsets will improve by April. By fall, Sony expects to begin selling them in Latin America.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/...ales.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.ca/

Glad its doing well.

Wallach

Pretty sure that is Superdata's dogshit "forecast", not Sony's. Superdata is the analyst equivalent of ********. NeoGAF should honestly take the same stance as with them and close any threads based on their horseshit.

KORNdoggy

So, 900000 units WW during the biggest shopping season for a launch!? That's not good at all. Plus, what % of those were purchased in Japan? Article kind of hints at Japan being the most successful market for it at the moment.

As for availability, I have seen them at local Walmart all but one time since it launched. Niche product at best until they hit 199.99 imo.

for a device as hard to get as PSVR its sold as well as it possibly could in these first 4 months. Sony are playing it safe with this thing (and PS4PRO) they clearly don't want a situation where they have a warehouse full of these things manufactured but not able to sell. They want to manufacture right on the edge of demand. They're currently behind with that, but i imagine they'll be reaching it soon.

So is this EyeToy level of success or far greater?

Eyetoy was a 10 million seller over its lifespan. I don't see PSVR selling as well, just based on costs. If they can make it cheaper though i imagine it will sell well long after the ps5 is released.

kyser73

The 2.6m was a guess by those geniuses at Superdata: Sony's actual forecast was for 2-2.5m HMDs between Sony, HTC & OR within the first year, with PSVR selling about 50% of all units.

Sony have sold $360m worth of hardware in 4 months in a completely new marketplace and its meeting their internal sales target - all this without any real marketing push outside of leveraging existing deals like the Champions League.

Also - totally called it that House was sceptical about PSVR. There was an interview he did with a UK newspaper where when asked about PSVR he gave a 'PR' response, not a personal one.

sense

Do you even fact check or just blurt out any nonsense to fit your argument. That was not Sony forecast. Sony never really said what they expected until now. Andrew house is saying if the psvr manages to sell less than 10% of the ps4's ltd sales it would be considered a success. They knew vr wasn't going to become this huge overnight mainstream hit and it will take a few years but wanted to establish themselves first. The next revision and the revision after that are where we will really start to see growth and the numbers that you are expecting. They are happy with its current state.

cakely

Link please!

Just kidding, there isn't one. Tales from your ass have no link.

While an impressive figure, the closure of one of their VR studios as well as the complete silence on the 1st party software front

Guerrilla Cambridge wasn't a VR Studio though. The VR Studios are London Studio and Manchester Studio along with Japan,SSM External Support.

Shoeless

I'll get one... one day ={

We're definitely still in the early adopter phase right now, but the tech does work and it's an impressive experience if you have the discretionary income to throw at it. If not, wait until the price goes down, the quality goes up, and the gear is easier to deal with.

Welfare

So, they've sold how many Ps4Pro's, last I checked here, it was ~300,000.
It sold ~480K in the US by the end of 2016, and by the end of this month we can easily add an additional ~100K, or just round up to ~600K. Japan as of last week has sold ~180K PS4 Pro's. Rest of the world sales should bring the total to ~1.5M by now.

Looks like Sony investing in new hardware paid off.

Maniac

Banned
There's new games announced every week. New games come out for it every week too. Last week was psychonauts and mervils. Both are very good games. In the future we still have dreams, golem and far point for big releases and a bunch of smaller stuff as well. I don't actually pay that much attention to the release wchedule anymore so somebody else can probably offer up more games.

I dunno if I'd call tacked-on VR modes game releases. It's like modding VR camera control into games on PC... Sure, it works, but it's also pretty shit and a sodding waste of the entire thing.
"But even if PCVR has more than half of the VR userbase of PSVR, why would these VR Only devs abandon PSVR if that would net them almost twice the sales literally?"

Because there are things you can do with PCVR that are impossible on PSVR.

Really most of what makes VR attractive to devs and, uh, tech... Techies? Technerds. People like me, dang it.
That's a fair question, who knows what Sony will do?

Continue with light tracking and keep being stuck in their old technology while selling more or switch to a higher-end at a more premium price?

I assume it'll be the former until 1:1 tracking is much cheaper. The average consumer doesn't care for the best technology as long as the price is right.

And they'll probably end up not really being much of a fan of VR either - Having cheap "knockoff" VR be the "main" VR platform can be pretty fucking dangerous for the damn things future.

We'll see wot dun happens though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Globally it's sold through a bit more than Vive and Oculus combined.

Vive is 2, slightly ahead of Oculus.

Thought I shared that before.
Any any rate, I meant to ::shrug::

Software attach is not strong, it's like barely 1.5.
I can't recall exactly offhand, but I think that horror game was the best seller, the until dawn spin off

Damn that's not bad, I still plan on eventually getting one. I might wait until around E3 to see what big VR games get announced

tr00per

I'm sure this thread will be filled with doubters (many of whom haven't hsd a good VR experience if any) but that's a pretty good figure for a 400 USD add on. I wonder what the profit margin and attach rate is

I bought two. And spread the word. I Did my part

I dunno if I'd call tacked-on VR modes game releases. It's like modding VR camera control into games on PC... Sure, it works, but it's also pretty shit and a sodding waste of the entire thing.

Really most of what makes VR attractive to devs and, uh, tech... Techies? Technerds. People like me, dang it.

And they'll probably end up not really being much of a fan of VR either - Having cheap "knockoff" VR be the "main" VR platform can be pretty fucking dangerous for the damn things future.

We'll see wot dun happens though.
Well you don't have to because he gave you a bunch of VR exclusive games..My god

I think the key to VR success is by launching solid games with VR functionality like RE7. Not made around the constrictions of VR, but playing to it's strengths like RE7 did.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
You're confusing Sony's original 1 million forecast with SuperData's 2.6 million forecast.

SuperData are a market research firm who are known to inflate their numbers in order to sell their data.

This. I was wrong. My mistake. I'm sorry. SuperData then lowered their expectations to 750K which based on the current sales release seems to be a lot more accurate.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'll get one... one day ={

I'll get one probably after Ace Combat 7 gets released. Wanted to get one on launch date but it seems there isn't much new announced titles these few months.

There's new games announced every week. New games come out for it every week too. Last week was psychonauts and mervils. Both are very good games. In the future we still have dreams, golem and far point for big releases and a bunch of smaller stuff as well. I don't actually pay that much attention to the release wchedule anymore so somebody else can probably offer up more games.

That's not really true though. The last 2 new PSVR titles announcement was DiRT Rally 2 weeks back and Fate/Grand Order VR last month (which turns out to be a VR experience). There were several weeks of drought somewhere between Christmas and RE7 too.

DYING: Reborn is the only release this week (tomorrow).

As of now (barring any last min announcement) we know there will be 4 PSVR titles next month: Darknet, Croixleur Sigma (Japan only), Whiteday Swan Song (Korea only) and Syren.

statham

Link please!

is superdata.
SuperData Research previously revised their estimates for 2016 sales of PSVR from 2.6 million to 750,000, which is still more than Oculus and HTC, but obviously nothing to brag about, given Sony's silence.

Kayant

Globally it's sold through a bit more than Vive and Oculus combined.

Vive is 2, slightly ahead of Oculus.

Thought I shared that before.
Any any rate, I meant to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Software attach is not strong, it's like barely 1.5.
I can't recall exactly offhand, but I think that horror game was the best seller, the until dawn spin off
Not bad! Thanks for the data.
Link please!

D6l8fu1.gif

But..but..but..VR is dead guys!

It's all I've been hearing about on Youtube.

Seriously though, VR is one of those things that I can't understand how anyone could dislike it or want it to fail.

Top Bottom