• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where does Horizon: Zero Dawn rank among the best looking games you've played?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocknRola

Playing the game on hard mode amplifies all that. You actually need to utilize your full arsenal to survive, not just some of it or most of it like you do in normal mode.

Playing on Normal alreay feels hard enough with certain big bots hehe :p

I've wasted some 11h+ on basically "not the plot". Not that it isn't interesting or anything, but I just enjoy exploring the world due to it's beauty and the actual challenge the game provides. Reaching my first Cauldron was just insane. Absolutely insane. Very much an awe inspiring place.

Trace

Banned
I've played The Witcher 3 maxed out, Star Citizen at max, etc.

And yes, currently Horizon is the best looking game I've ever played outside of specific Driveclub settings.

I think it's probably the best looking in comparison to how big the game is, in my opinion.
That being said, I kinda prefer how Ratchet and Clank PS4 looks due to being a bigger fan of that artstyle/I feel that'll hold up better in the long run, as games with a more cartoon-y artstyle tend to do.

Driveclub is the one that still amazes me the most though. That game just looks stupid at times.

Its technically unbelievable. However what makes it truly better than any other is the merging of great art design and engineering. I'm going to be honest. I initially thought GG would make a generic looking open world, yet what we have is a perfect grounded yet fantastical setting. It feels like an animation movie at times. Truly is a beauty.

its better looking than any game. Master race citizens can finally weep in their ivory towers...mwahaha..haha...hahhaha

And yet, in this very thread, there're screenshots of Battlefront and BF1 in max settings that can easily compare with it. And it could do it in at least 60 fps to boot.

I think Uncharted 4 and Driveclub look a little more flawless (probably The Order as well, but haven't played that in a while), but with everything considered Horizon is an incredible achievement which stacks up as a more impressive technical package overall. It really is astonishing what they managed to do here in an open world. And they managed to launch a western RPG with no major issues or jank at all - I don't recall seeing that before.

You know that every thunderjaw is 550k polygons (which is more than Final fantasy CGI movie Aki Ross who was 500K and that was huge at that time) and you get sometimes many of them besides tallnecks, many watchers, NPCs, animals,birds, ants on trees which move differently and some carry leaves while the other don't, bees, dynamic weather system, time of day and the top notch cloud system, all this an a really vast open world setting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350033

That's insane that a Thunderjaw has more polygons than Aki Ross from The Spirits Within! I still think that's a terrific looking film even though it has obviously aged in a lot of regards.

The good thing is that Kojima Production are already improving the engine by adding their own tech like their own hair tech which looks better in Death stranding. I hope to see Kojima's Production hair tech in the upcoming Guerilla game.

How do you know their hair tech looks better in Death Stranding?!

Number 1 for the games I played but I'm sure there are some real nice games on PC but I don't have one.

IP28y6R.gif

Source

jfrBjlw.gif

Source

These are crazy. The first one in particular looks almost real. If you squint a little that could easily be a camera behind someone running up a hill in the Scottish Highlands.

Graphics in general are awesome. I however dislike:

- the facial animations sometimes
- the stupid ass lensflares

I'm also not used to open world games so I am not as impressed with the graphics in this game compared to Uncharted 4. But I know this would be impossible to achieve with an open world game.

Very impressive nonetheless: the body animation and robot animation are awesome

drotahorror

Playing the game on hard mode amplifies all that. You actually need to utilize your full arsenal to survive, not just some of it or most of it like you do in normal mode.

It made me want to use all the tools until I got the purple bow. Just the normal one that shoots normal arrows and fire arrows, (and an arrow that's much better than the plain arrow but cost more to make). I really never used another weapon once I got it. I had so much tear and damage on it, it was just so good.

Well, high. Very high. Especially because it's an open world game.

Wow, some people here really have no idea what art-direction really is, do they?
And some salty people who act like they have an opinion. At the very least the game is ranked very high.

buenoblue

Horizon zero dawn is a good looking game no doubt. I'm playing on a ks8000 and ps4 pro. Trouble is it does the old uncharted trick of higher quality cutscenes. These cutscenes look amazing but the actual in game graphics are no where near the same quality.

That's insane that a Thunderjaw has more polygons than Aki Ross from The Spirits Within! I still think that's a terrific looking film even though it has obviously aged in a lot of regards.

Since it came up earlier in the thread, I threw the 2 images side by side with some fun info:
sixteenyearsc99e8.png

To be more precise: her model was 100k polys while her clothes were 300k polys. We already had Delsin having around 120K polys in an open world game which was unbelievable at that time. Also remember that in Quantic Dream Dark Sorcerer demo, characters were around 1 million polys. I hope to see a game based on that sorcerer in the future like with Kara.

How do you know their hair tech looks better in Death Stranding?!

Well. Kojima in his interview with IGN (iirc) were thinking whether to choose the hair tech with Decima's Engine or their own tech but his team finally chose their own tech which suits their game better.
Well according to the trailers shown, the hair in Death Stranding looks more polished and doesn't have rough edges and is well integrated to the character heads with better shading. Look at Mads' hair, individual strands move.

Well. Kojima in his interview with IGN (iirc) were thinking whether to choose the hair tech with Decima's Engine or their own tech but his team finally chose their own tech which suits their game better.
Well according to the trailers shown, the hair in Death Stranding looks more polished and doesn't have rough edges and is well integrated to the character heads with better shading. Look at Mads' hair, individual strands move.
Ah you think that was 100% indicative of gameplay?

I'll wait until I've seen this list of games that look better before I bother engaging with you again.

GTA 5
Battlefield 1
Dragon Age Inquisition
Far Cry 4
Crysis 3
Dishonored 2
Quantum Break
Hell, the PC version of Tomb Raider that came out in 2013 uses tessellation that cannot be achieved by the PS4
Stars Wars Battlefront (game sucks but it sure is pretty)

GTA 5
Battlefield 1
Dragon Age Inquisition
Far Cry 4
Crysis 3
Dishonored 2
Quantum Break
Hell, the PC version of Tomb Raider that came out in 2013 uses tessellation that cannot be achieved by the PS4

Have you played Horizon? I have no idea how you can call it uninspired and fault its colour palette, and then go on to list those games. Quantum Break? I lol'd.

Ah you think that was 100% indicative of gameplay?

I think you have a really nice example as proof which is Horizon obviously.
Same has been said when Horizon was first shown and GOW.
I thnk this will be always brought up in every upcoming game.
You know games have to evolve and to reach certain level of improvements each time.

Have you played Horizon? I have no idea how you can call it uninspired and fault its colour palette, and then go on to list those games. Quantum Break? I lol'd.
Dragon Age Inquisition and Crysis 3 didn't even start to use PBR. Let's keep tech talk for those who understand it.

Do you have a link to this interview? During his panel with Mark Cerny and Hermen Hulst he mentioned how he was particularly impressed with the hair in Horizon.

mxgt

Banned
It looks insanely good, was watching my brother play it and was very impressed with it for an underpowered console.

However I've been playing For Honor maxed @ near 4k res on PC and I think that's now the best looking game I've ever played. I love the art style.

I think you have a really nice example as proof which is Horizon obviously.
Same has been said when Horizon was first shown and GOW.
I thnk this will be always brought up in every upcoming game.
You know games have to evolve and to reach certain level of improvements each time.

Dragon Age Inquisition and Crysis 3 didn't even start to use PBR. Let's keep tech talk for those who understand it.

We'll see (i hope so). Kojima is usually over ambitious in his first trailer.

And the colors in Horizon are well thought through. Leave the talk about art-direction to people who understand what it is.

Do you have a link to this interview? During his panel with Mark Cerny and Hermen Hulst he mentioned how he was particularly impressed with the hair in Horizon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV5Fjokx17c

He was impressed by their hair tech too but he said also they could use their own tech too.
I think he talked about that too at the PSX panel.
The good thing is that now both studios share ideas. So if Kojima Prodcutions tech is better, Guerilla may use it in their upcoming game.
This will be benficial for both studios.

I still say Drakes 4 looks better, so does R&C on the PS4 pro. In fact I;ll say RE7 looks better too on the PS4 pro and that game also features the best use of HDR in a video game.

For me Drakes 4 is going to take some beating

Mik2121

Overall world composition, lighting and asset quality makes it stand about 1st or 2nd position with Uncharted 4. If we don't count things like world composition and color maybe other titles get ahead, but when it comes to overall quality and not just technical, to me it's some of the best stuff I've seen next to Uncharted 4, as I said.
And that's including a bunch of issues I've noticed of collisions making characters floating a bit (expected since this is open world with tons of assets that with complex collision and a bunch of skeletal models moving around could cause performance issues), and whatnot.

It helps that it's open world, making it all the more impressive.

dogstar

Banned
Yup, the best.... On my PC currently running Battlefield1 maxed-out - SW-Battlefront maxed-out - Witcher3 modded and all maxed-out - Skyrim modded to death - Doom maxed-out... they all look great, stunning even, but none touch this.

What they have done on PS4 hardware is staggering. Yeah, it has a few niggles, but what doesn't?.. and they don't detract from the overall mastery.

I think UC4 beats it in the animation and lip sync departments, other than that, yes probably.

The simple fact that we are comparing the dozens upon dozens of characters in an open world RPG to the hand full of characters in a story driven linear action adventure speaks for Horizon.

le.phat

GTA 5
Battlefield 1
Dragon Age Inquisition
Far Cry 4
Crysis 3
Dishonored 2
Quantum Break

There goes the weight of your opinion. Yikes.

black070

GTA 5
Battlefield 1
Dragon Age Inquisition
Far Cry 4
Crysis 3
Dishonored 2
Quantum Break

Lol, now it makes sense why you refrained from giving examples in your first post.

emalord

Not a fan of the boring art style so not very high

Nature and Mechs set new bars.
I can somehow agree that in a post apocalyptic scenario those cute healthy faces and those perfect trimmed beards look awkward at best
But artistic freedoms aside, this game looks incredible

Finaika

GTA 5
Battlefield 1
Dragon Age Inquisition
Far Cry 4
Crysis 3
Dishonored 2
Quantum Break

And people laughed at me for mentioning Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC.

Elandyll

Banned
As far as open world goes, def #1. I don't get how they did this on og PS4.

As far as games overall, the game is pretty much up there, along with UC4, Battlefront, The Order 1886, Battlefield 1, Deus Ex MD or Just Cause 3. Which again is crazy for open world imo.

dogstar

Banned
On a high-end PC, all of those games look objectively better. The PS4 doesn't even have the processing power to render decent water effects.

No they don't!... maybe bits of them do, like the aforementioned water, which is a little weak in H-ZD. Sometimes things come together in W3 that blow me away, but then its all lost when the light changes, or you see some poor LOD. SW Battlefront looks ace on PC too, but the areas are small, and its not doing much behind the scenes... it can look quite sterile at times.

I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I'm not going to be stubborn and deny this game its crown... U4 may come closest to stealing that, over anything on PC.

Normally I would wait to applaud a game with the uppermost admiration and hold back any knee-jerk reactions since this game is not even a week old, but nah this game is something else man.

There are little quirks that I appreciate the most like how the camera dynamically moves depending on the direction and location you run/move to; its a silly little thing to point out i know but I've played games that have implemented stuff like this but nothing quite like Horizon.

It is evident that every little detail has been executed with great care to make every second feel like a cinematic but fully accessible experience that its not even funny, and that's taking away all the other mind-blowing sh*t that is going on.

SentryDown

Impossible to have a definitive ranking but based on my previous categories :

Models/texture/shaders/animations/indoor environments : The Order (Horizon could be on the animations but the faces ruin it all)
Art direction : Bloodborne (Horizon takes the lead on creature art but still behind on the rest)
Landscapes environments/skyboxes : DriveClub --> now Horizon for sure
Organic city environments : AC Unity
Particles/FX/post-processes : inFamous SS

Impossible to have a definitive ranking but based on my previous categories :

Models/texture/shaders/animations/indoor environments : The Order (Horizon could be on the animations but the faces ruin it all)
Art direction : Bloodborne (Horizon takes the lead on creature art but still behind on the rest)
Landscapes environments/skyboxes : DriveClub --> now Horizon for sure
Organic city environments : AC Unity
Particles/FX/post-processes : inFamous SS

Yep, can't really disagree with any of this.

I think there's something about natural environments that stand out above the other categories to most people though. Maybe it's the grandeur of mountain-scapes and vast forests, or maybe it's something more inherent to human nature and our natural instinct to be driven by exploration and curiosity ("what's over that hill?"), but it's always fascinated me to see games focused more on natural environments making bigger impressions than games focused on urban environments. Even when gameplay seems to remain so consistent (Fallout / Elder Scrolls). I think that's a big reason Black Flag was such a popular AC game too, and why Unity and Syndicate have been lacklustre in comparison (far from the only reason of course, I'm not making that statement).

RE4PRR

I still think Uncharted 4 has the best looking character faces and mouth movement ever seen in a game, Drake looks as real as real can get, not to say HZD has bad faces, you just can't top Uncharted 4 atm.

But with what they've achieved on an open world ps4 game, overall I have to give it to Horizon Zero Dawn. It's a real shame as exclusives they can't express this on pc as well.

Fbh

Which craft tier.

Uncharted 4 looks better in a few areas. But that's a rather linear cinematic game.
The fact this looks so good while being open world is just mind blowing.

bede-x

It's up there amongst the best. There's some uncanny valley going on with human characters and the facial animations aren't that good, but I love the environments and the mechanical creatures. The main city is also very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom