• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda* Breath* of* the* Wild* breaks* Metacritic* record.* Most* 10/10's* ever*

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakfuss

Yea I have no doubt RDR2 could give it a run for its money but it won't be an easy feat. Horizon Zero Dawn is no slouch either.

press rather chose shadow of mordor than bayonetta 2. if that is the case zelda stands no chance against the likes of red dead 2, mass effect andromeda or horizon zero dawn

The press just made this second best reviewed game of all time. Maybe the best, by some metrics. I don't think a GOTY nomination is out of the question at all.

Sillverrr

Comes across as a sea change for the 3D Zelda line. Not played enough to weigh in on the perfect scores (well, okay, I would dock it half a point for the miserable inventory management thus far), but it feels like a massive departure from TP/WW/SS, which all effectively followed the same boring-ass template.

More importantly, although open world, it doesn't feel EMPTY, and it seems to have been painstakingly hand-crafted. I'm sure there's some procedural generation going on, but it's well-hidden. Where it does reuse the Zelda formulas, the now bite-sized puzzle dungeons suit my limited playtime perfectly. Virtually no hand-holding either. I don't know how Nintendo was able to "get with the times" to such an extent for this release, but props to the dev team.

its NOT going to get GOTY lets not kid ourselves

why on Earth do you think that it's not a contender?

Actually, I'd love to hear why.

press rather chose shadow of mordor than bayonetta 2. if that is the case zelda stands no chance against the likes of red dead 2, mass effect andromeda or horizon zero dawn

oh.

ooooh. lol. somehow I think you would have said the same about Galaxy when it was new, given its competition. I think Zelda will hold up and secure more than a few nominations, but we'll see.
and Zelda doesn't stand a chance against those other games despite its critical acclaim? I'm not even sure how that logic holds up at all tbf

This game is brilliant. Playing in handheld mode is equally brilliant. Wii U owners getting it as well was awesome. I cannot wait for Mario seeing how blown away I have been so far with this recent Zelda.

Zelda has much more critical acclaim than even Bayonetta 2 did. Zelda's also much, much, much higher profile of a game. It's not really a valid comparison at all.

My daughter really wants this.
One question though, doesn't it have performance problems?

The game dips to 20 FPS on a semi-regular basis, but usually only for a few seconds at a time. It's something I personally got used to pretty quick and it hasn't impeded my enjoyment of the game at all.

I don't see Horizon or Mass Effect having a chance especially the latter considering the lackluster marketing and terrible facial animation.

The only game that has a chance is Red Dead.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't got a Switch or Wii U but I've borrowed my bro's 2DS and I'm about to play Ocarina of Time for the first time ever. I'll get there eventually, GAF!

My daughter really wants this.
One question though, doesn't it have performance problems?

Yes, but they don't really detract from the experience in a significant way, and I'm not saying this as a deprived Nintendo fanboy. I do most of my gaming in 1080/60 on my PC.

Acerac

Banned
Wonderful game. I loved it from the first time I picked it up, but I couldn't have imagined this critical reception. Nonetheless, very well deserved!

ethomaz

Banned
I don't want to do that to the OP but the thread is again giving wrong info.

GTAIV has 57 perfect reviews recorded on Metacritic.

You can all check yourself.

1 1UP
2 360 Gamer Magazine UK
3 AceGamez
4 BigPond GameArena
5 Console Gameworld
6 Cynamite
7 DarkStation
8 DarkZero
9 Edge Magazine
10 Electronic Gaming Monthly
11 Eurogamer
12 G4 TV
13 Game Informer
14 GameDaily
15 GamePro
16 GameShark
17 GameSpot
18 GameSpy
19 GameZone
20 Gameplanet
21 Gameplayer
22 Gamer.nl
23 Gamervision
24 GamesRadar+
25 Gaming Age
26 Gaming Nexus
27 GamingExcellence
28 Giant Bomb
29 IC-Games
30 IGN
31 IGN UK
32 Jolt Online Gaming UK
33 Kikizo
34 *****
35 Level7.nu
36 Maxi Consolas (Portugal)
37 Meristation
38 Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
39 Official Xbox Magazine UK
40 PGNx Media
41 PSW Magazine UK
42 PTGamers
43 Playstation Official Magazine UK
44 Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
45 Talk Xbox
46 TeamXbox
47 The A.V. Club
48 TheSixthAxis
49 Thunderbolt
50 Total PC Gaming
51 Total Video Games
52 Totally360
53 VideoGamer
54 X-ONE Magazine UK
55 Yahoo!
56 ZTGD
57 games(TM)

Fixed. 57 unique reviews.

I don't see Horizon or Mass Effect having a chance especially the latter considering the lackluster marketing and terrible facial animation.

The only game that has a chance is Red Dead.

Red Dead, Mario, and going from the previews, Persona 5 could be an unlikely darkhorse contender. (Though I think it's too niche to win at most publications.)

cripterion

There are frame rate issues, but the pros VASTLY outweigh any other shortcomings, IMO.

It does have performance problems but nothing that should stop you from playing it.

Ok thanks, perhaps they'll patch that in time too.

It definitely will be a GOTY contender but I feel like it will be Horizon this year, if nothing else than it is a stellar new IP.
58 perfect reviews though, no wonder the Switch is selling well. I thought it wouldn't take off cause there were so few launch games and not even a Mario title but definitely underestimated the power of Zelda.

En-ou

Game of the year contender? Lol, that's beneath it. Think along the lines of game of the generation.

GTAIV has 58 perfect reviews recorded on Metacritic.

1 1UP
2 360 Gamer Magazine UK
3 AceGamez
4 All this publication's reviews
5 BigPond GameArena
6 Console Gameworld
7 Cynamite
8 DarkStation
9 DarkZero
10 Edge Magazine
11 Electronic Gaming Monthly
12 Eurogamer
13 G4 TV
14 Game Informer
15 GameDaily
16 GamePro
17 GameShark
18 GameSpot
19 GameSpy
20 GameZone
21 Gameplanet
22 Gameplayer
23 Gamer.nl
24 Gamervision
25 GamesRadar+
26 Gaming Age
27 Gaming Nexus
28 GamingExcellence
29 Giant Bomb
30 IC-Games
31 IGN
32 IGN UK
33 Jolt Online Gaming UK
34 Kikizo
35 *****
36 Level7.nu
37 Maxi Consolas (Portugal)
38 Meristation
39 Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
40 Official Xbox Magazine UK
41 PGNx Media
42 PSW Magazine UK
43 PTGamers
44 Playstation Official Magazine UK
45 Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
46 Talk Xbox
47 TeamXbox
48 The A.V. Club
49 TheSixthAxis
50 Thunderbolt
51 Total PC Gaming
52 Total Video Games
53 Totally360
54 VideoGamer
55 X-ONE Magazine UK
56 Yahoo!
57 ZTGD
58 games(TM)

ctrl F "100" and I see 48 reviews with it.

kadotsu

Banned
I have a 70 Attack Black Bow, Two 5x Chimera Bows and a 101 Attack Chimera great sword but nothing that's worth to fight. I wish there were superbosses in this game. Other than that it's pretty much perfect.

breakfuss

GTAIV has 58 perfect reviews recorded on Metacritic.

1 1UP
2 360 Gamer Magazine UK
3 AceGamez
4 All this publication's reviews
5 BigPond GameArena
6 Console Gameworld
7 Cynamite
8 DarkStation
9 DarkZero
10 Edge Magazine
11 Electronic Gaming Monthly
12 Eurogamer
13 G4 TV
14 Game Informer
15 GameDaily
16 GamePro
17 GameShark
18 GameSpot
19 GameSpy
20 GameZone
21 Gameplanet
22 Gameplayer
23 Gamer.nl
24 Gamervision
25 GamesRadar+
26 Gaming Age
27 Gaming Nexus
28 GamingExcellence
29 Giant Bomb
30 IC-Games
31 IGN
32 IGN UK
33 Jolt Online Gaming UK
34 Kikizo
35 *****
36 Level7.nu
37 Maxi Consolas (Portugal)
38 Meristation
39 Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
40 Official Xbox Magazine UK
41 PGNx Media
42 PSW Magazine UK
43 PTGamers
44 Playstation Official Magazine UK
45 Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
46 Talk Xbox
47 TeamXbox
48 The A.V. Club
49 TheSixthAxis
50 Thunderbolt
51 Total PC Gaming
52 Total Video Games
53 Totally360
54 VideoGamer
55 X-ONE Magazine UK
56 Yahoo!
57 ZTGD
58 games(TM)

Would've been helpful to include the link. Is this including repeat reviews for different platforms?

Who will win more GOTY awards? The known commodity that just came out or some other game that may or may not be amazing that may or may not come out this year? (DISCUSS)

I was just earlier today amazed how the 100 reviews just keep coming day after day. Very well deserved as it's already one of the best games I've ever played.

its NOT going to get GOTY lets not kid ourselves

giphy.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Would've been helpful to include the link. Is this including repeat reviews for different platforms?
57 unique reviews (my bad I counted one more before)... I can break for you guys.

Official Xbox Magazine UK
IGN
IGN UK
1UP
Eurogamer
GameSpy
TeamXbox
Game Informer
GameDaily
GamePro
VideoGamer
Gamer.nl
Total Video Games
GameSpot
G4 TV
360 Gamer Magazine UK
Gameplanet
Level7.nu
Totally360
PGNx Media
Yahoo!
X-ONE Magazine UK
GamingExcellence
Edge Magazine
Jolt Online Gaming UK
Gameplayer
The A.V. Club
Electronic Gaming Monthly
IC-Games
Giant Bomb
Gamervision
GameZone
DarkZero
Gaming Age
Thunderbolt
Gaming Nexus
GameShark
DarkStation
PTGamers
Console Gameworld
AceGamez
Talk Xbox
ZTGD
Maxi Consolas (Portugal)
Kikizo
BigPond GameArena
Cynamite

PS3
games(TM)
Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
TheSixthAxis
Playstation Official Magazine UK
Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
GamesRadar+
PSW Magazine UK

PC
Meristation
Total PC Gaming

Ok thanks, perhaps they'll patch that in time too.

It definitely will be a GOTY contender but I feel like it will be Horizon this year, if nothing else than it is a stellar new IP.
58 perfect reviews though, no wonder the Switch is selling well. I thought it wouldn't take off cause there were so few launch games and not even a Mario title but definitely underestimated the power of Zelda.
Nier has a higher metacritic and was super well loved, it has more of a chance then horizon has and it has no chance
which any other year I would call a crime, but if Zelda truly is the game people say it is I'll accept it.

Realeza

Banned
Lmao at people thinking this won't dominate GOTY awards. These are probably the same people thinking BoTW was gonna score in the high 80s low 90s.

ethomaz

Banned
That's a dumb comparison since Zelda is not multiplatform. Really dumb.
Zelda is Multiplatform.

And it is not my business if Rockstart launched for PC, PS3, 360 and Nintendo for Wii U Switch... or Reviews choose to reviews the PS3 version over 360/PC (vice-versa)... it is the reviewer choice.

GTAIV still have 57 reviews with 10/10.

PS. In previous thread I already said GTAIV has over 50 reviews 10/10 and now the thread is created with Zelda with 49 I guess... of course it is fake news.

Lmao at people thinking this won't dominate GOTY awards. These are probably the same people thinking BoTW was gonna score in the high 80s low 90s.

And Nintendo's releasing new story DLC during the holidays. It's going to be on everyone's mind once again come awards season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom