• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda* Breath* of* the* Wild* breaks* Metacritic* record.* Most* 10/10's* ever*

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm sorry.. I just have a hard time believing this will win over Horizon.
Horizons not perfect (in the strongest sense of the word), but I rank games on experiences I have with them.

And until you fight 8 Glinthawks in an open snowy field with nowhere to run, hiding behind rocks crafting ammo quick, taking down mechanical mountain lions(scrapers) that's trying to rip your face off (and the farther ones shooting energy balls at you), dodging ice bombs while running to try to find a glimmer of health across a small stream, all in one fight!? Then it's very hard to believe.

With that said. I'm stuck in limbo. I don't have a wiiu but can get one quick and buy Zelda. Problem is it's the same price as the Switch. But, hoho... there is none out there.

I'm fine waiting to see myself, but I don't believe one bit that these scores are nothing but an anomaly. Just Zelda done right.

I am a person who will gladly humble myself if proven wrong. Cause the worst thing that can happen is me enjoying myself too much.

Ok.

jviggy43

Horizons not perfect (in the strongest sense of the word), but I rank games on experiences I have with them.

And until you fight 8 Glinthawks in an open snowy field with nowhere to run, hiding behind rocks crafting ammo quick, taking down mechanical mountain lions(scrapers) that's trying to rip your face off (and the farther ones shooting energy balls at you), dodging ice bombs while running to try to find a glimmer of health across a small stream, all in one fight!? Then it's very hard to believe.

With that said. I'm stuck in limbo. I don't have a wiiu but can get one quick and buy Zelda. Problem is it's the same price as the Switch. But, hoho... there is none out there.

I'm fine waiting to see myself, but I don't believe one bit that these scores are nothing but an anomaly. Just Zelda done right.

I am a person who will gladly humble myself if proven wrong. Cause the worst thing that can happen is me enjoying myself too much.

"I'm sorry but while I havent owned or played the game I just choose not to believe this entirely subjective metric in the first place, Ill posit this other thing that I enjoy that really has no relation to the topic at hand is much better"

...ok

Realeza

Banned
Looks like people suddenly forgot the game dominated E3 best of the show, which is pretty much the same group that will decide GOTY's at the end of the year. Couple that with the perfect scores and you are on some shit if you don't think this game is the one to beat this year.

Its this a joke or something? Maybe sarcasm?

DR2K

Banned
For a business perspective... It says everything... Also, play the game and then talk.

I'm just saying it's being developed on new hardware in congruence to past hardware. Of course it'd be one of the more expensive games to develop.

You don't own/play the game so of course you can't see it. What is the point of you post anyway?

The point is the scores and the claims for Zelda being the GOTY or GOAT. More so the former.

I'm playing Horizon and can only look at staticky ass gifs and gameplay videos.

Hence me not believing what people are saying about the game. Did I not say why I can't see it at the end? Lol

From my point of view, it looks like a great Zelda that just deviated from the original formula to make fresh again, mixed with 1500mg of nostalgia.

But I loved to be proven wrong.

bomblord1

Banned

Oh boy do I have some BOTW stories to tell you.

I think one of my favorites was early on. Tried and failed to take down a moblin camp more than once. This time I snuck and successfully detonated the explosive barrels without alerting them to come out of the cave. The ones that didn't die I was able to take out leaving only the "boss" but by that time every weapon but a stick I had was broken.

With a higher tier bokoblin charging at me with a flaming club and well over the amount of health that my measly stick would take out of him I panicked. Desperate I sacrificed my stick by throwing it at his face landing a critical hit and making him drop his club, which set the grass on fire, and then him on fire, and took just enough health to kill him ending the fight and unlocking the treasure chest they were guarding.

Hoo boy that was tense

I haven't stopped playing this game since release. Either It's on TV mode or in bed playing it Handheld mode.

I've somewhat fit other games in since then, but every single day I feel the need to continue. It feels like I've barely scratched the surface, even with all the hours I've put into it.

I haven't felt like this with a game since I was a kid.

Lmao this game shits on Horizon from a great height

Maybe RDR2 or Mass Effect will win over this though

Even though I highly doubt they will be more critically acclaimed than BoTW

Breath of the Wild wishes it had the exhilarating combat of Horizon. They're both great games; no need to drag one down to play another up.

Lol If you rank games on experiences Zelda is a 0.0 to you. Of course you wont believe any positives. Get the game these reviews are not some sort of conspiracy. I wont even spoil the game for you but similar scenarios can happen in Zelda if that's what tickle's your fancy.

LotusHD

Banned
The point is the scores and the claims for Zelda being the GOTY or GOAT. More so the former.

Hence me not believing what people are saying about the game. Did I not say why I can't see it at the end? Lol

From my point of view, it looks like a great Zelda that just deviated from the original formula to make fresh again, mixed with 1500mg of nostalgia.

Ok.

Considering how different this Zelda is from pretty much all the rest, nostalgia has very little to do with it. That and Zelda games are usually great in general so I don't see why it's hard to believe this one isn't

MildSoss

I've been playing through both, hell I got a ks800 'cause of Horizon and still prefer Zelda. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Horizon is still a great game though just not Botw great.

Majmun

Is this thread now about who will win GOTY? Because that's Zelda

Or about most 10/10's? Because that's GTAIV

Peltz

What do you want us to tell you? The game is really that great. Every last part of the world is interactive. Every tree can be cut down, every blade of grass can be set on fire, and every surface can be navigated in many ways. There's no window dressing or non-interactive elements in the entire environment. There's not a single area that is inaccessible.

Every part of the game can be tackled with myriad solutions and all of them are satisfying. The world is huge and never feels empty and there is endless variety and charm to the experience. Every single part of the game's world has very tight level design, yet it goes on and on for miles.

It's the real deal whether you believe it or not.

The other day, when playing the game, there was a lightning storm. I threw a metal sword at an enemy and he picked it up. Then lightening struck and killed him. The elements of the game constantly combine in unique ways to create cool moments like this every time you play.

Remember that old Peter Molyneux meme of "you can do anything" and the crowd goes crazy? This is actually the first game I've played that legitimately gave me that feeling. I actually feel like I could do anything in this game.

Acerac

Banned
oh yeah, and I am sure Nintendo fanboys are trashing Horizon user scores average to make sure it stay as low as possible.

Fanboys crying because another game is doing well really are pathetic.

At a certain point, all you can do is point and laugh at how angry they are that others are enjoying a game that they don't have the opportunity to play.

Dat mod edit hahahaa

in my personal opinion everyone who supports other game that Zelda is wrong
in my personal opinion every other game does nto deserve praise like Zelda BotW
in my personal opinion I cannot believe other game can be better than this when I haven't played it

See? open your eyes.....

Trey

Zelda is sweeping the awards this year. Mario will be great too. Horizon is good as well, pushes console gaming forward. Great year of gaming ahead of us.

The very first thing I did in Breath of the Wild once I left the Plateau was glide south, toward a desert area. From the corner of my eye, I spotted a patch of huge, 100 foot tall baobab trees in a massive nearby valley, and a horse in the center of them. Since I really wanted a horse, I decided then and there, that I'd make that horse mine.

C6MjpppUYAAdcQ1.jpg
C6MlEEbUsAAki18.jpg
C6MoAF2UYAEzWdy.jpg

As I approached one of the massive trees, I noticed that the horse, too, was massive:

which only solidified my decision. Since I had the forethought on the plateau to stock up on stamina foods, I was rewarded with the ability to climb one of the massive trees, and from there, glide right over the horse, where I let go, and immediately had to spend my entire stock of potions just to keep the fucker from bucking me off. I had a sliver of red stamina left before he finally calmed down. That was time spent hunting and gathering made well worth it.

But that was the simple part. This horse has a baaad temperment, you see, constantly refusing my commands as I'd try to direct it around... and the only stable I knew about - the only place I could save, register and name that horse before it had a chance to run away or be killed - was halfway across the world, separated by mountain ranges and powerful enemies, the likes of which I had no way of taking on just outside the plateau.

So what I thought might be a simple, oh man, I'm gonna go over here and capture this horse, suddenly took on a much more tense atmosphere. Now, all of a sudden, I'm desperately trying to feed this horse apples out of my arms as it takes every opportunity it gets to run away from me. Now, I'm strafing my horse sideways up the precarious crags of a mountainside, taking care to watch where his feet fall to avoid harsh slopes... occasionally slipping and falling, and worrying that the next slip might knock me off the horse and send him tumbling 200 feet below. Now, I'm dodging massive Yiga soldiers that I had never seen before, hoping that they don't manage to get a shot on me and kill me before I make it to my destination. Now, I'm past the mountain range, and I've made it to the plains which stretch onward toward my destination... but it's the dead of night, and there's a thunderstorm, and I'm facing my most dangerous obstacle - dodging shitloads of horrible streaks of lightning landing mere feet from my horse, heading toward a stable whose exact location I'm unsure of, while I can't see more than 15 feet in front of my face. And then, the stormclouds subside, giving way to the morning light, and I make my way over a hill, breathing the biggest sigh of relief as this last hour of pure tension, adrenaline, and dedication has brought me to my destination, rewarding me with the coolest fucking horse, and an amazingly cathartic view. I named him Bardock.

C6M1d4jUsAAKfmD.jpg

That was all shit that I decided to do on my own immediately after leaving what's basically the tutorial zone. The very first chain of events I engaged in after being given freedom to explore the world. and it's easily the best experience I've had all year in a game. It was all me, just doing my own thing, and just that experience rivaled some of the better bespoke quests I've played in open world games.

This thread really makes me want to like this game. I see the genuine joy and excitement across the board from everyone and hate being an outsider. Yet I've put in about 10 hours and for some reason it just wasn't clicking with me. Maybe I'm playing it wrong? In open world games I get side tracked by every little thing so maybe I should stick to the story missions for a bit? When the weapons get better maybe weapon durability becomes a welcomed challenge instead of the pesky annoyance it is now?

I'm thinking I just have open world fatigue currently as I played about 3/4 of the Witcher 3 expansions and Platinum'd Horizon all within the past couple of months so I've put it down for a bit and will come back to it after vacation. Hopefully then I will see what basically the entire gaming world sees except me.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
No doubt in my mind this is GOTY from most sites.

Some will no doubt give it to Horizon or something though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You need to count unique reviews...

Some reviewers choose the PS3, others the 360... and 2 choose PC... at the end there are 57 review sites that give GTAIV 10/10s.

Yes it is.
That's not a single version of the game then.
There's a good reason why those are separated out and not counted the same.

Oh boy do I have some BOTW stories to tell you.

I think one of my favorites was early on. Tried and failed to take down a moblin camp more than once. This time I snuck and successfully detonated the explosive barrels without alerting them to come out of the cave. The ones that didn't die I was able to take out leaving only the "boss" but by that time every weapon but a stick I had was broken.

With a higher tier bokoblin charging at me with a flaming club and well over the amount of health that my measly stick would take out of him I panicked. Desperate I sacrificed my stick by throwing it at his face landing a critical hit and making him drop his club, which set the grass on fire, and then him on fire, and took just enough health to kill him ending the fight and unlocking the treasure chest they were guarding.

Hoo boy that was tense

Thanks for sharing that and glad you get what I was saying.

I can't see that stuff in regular videos. That sounds amazing.

I'm nort taking jabs at this game. It's Zelda, I played em all. And until this recent one, I had the notion of "you played one, you played them all." And I guess that was true until this one.

Like I said, I will be getting this one way or the other.
And if the game is like the story you just told I'm getting quite impatient and might have to spring for a wiiu. I dunno.

You need to count unique reviews...

Some reviewers choose the PS3, others the 360... and 2 choose PC... at the end there are 57 review sites that give GTAIV 10/10s.

Yes it is.

There are 5 Wii U reviews.
lololol. People are getting crazy this time. What next?

This thread really makes me want to like this game. I see the genuine joy and excitement across the board from everyone and hate being an outsider. Yet I've put in about 10 hours and for some reason it just wasn't clicking with me. Maybe I'm playing it wrong? In open world games I get side tracked by every little thing so maybe I should stick to the story missions for a bit? When the weapons get better maybe weapon durability becomes a welcomed challenge instead of the pesky annoyance it is now?

I'm thinking I just have open world fatigue currently as I played about 3/4 of the Witcher 3 expansions and Platinum'd Horizon all within the past couple of months so I've put it down for a bit and will come back to it after vacation. Hopefully then I will see what basically the entire gaming world sees except me.

Not every game is for every person. Maybe it just aint your thing. No biggie.

Lmao at the user reviews.

So much salt.

Holy shit, even if you despise this game with your entire being, there is no universe that it deserves any lower than like a 5/10 at worst. Literally the only complaints are "the world is boring, performance issues, 900p". Majority of open worlds suffer from the "boring" aspect to people who don't like those kinds of games. While performance and lower than 1080p are bummers, they don't drag the quality of the game down 9 to 10 points.

Acerac

Banned
Holy shit, even if you despise this game with your entire being, there is no universe that it deserves any lower than like a 5/10 at worst. Literally the only complaints are "the world is boring, performance issues, 900p". Majority of open worlds suffer from the "boring" aspect to people who don't like those kinds of games. While performance and lower than 1080p are bummers, they don't drag the quality of the game down 9 to 10 points.

This game isn't perfect like those other reviews state. 0/10

Majmun

Hmm? Someone pointed out that Breath of the Wild is multiplatform and I pointed out that, as far as most are concerned, it's a Switch title only

Does't change the FACT that it's LITERALLY on TWO platforms. Meaning: it's MULTIPLATFORM

No matter the situation you're describing...

This is one of those threads that has it all isn't it? ��
Well I'm not wrong, am I? No different than most people getting Twilight Princess on the Wii instead of the GameCube. At that point, most people saw it as a Wii title, even though it's a GameCube game first

Does't change the FACT that it's LITERALLY on TWO platforms. Meaning its MULTIPLATFORM

No matter the situation you're describing...
Oh of course it's multiplatform. I was never denying that. Just that one of those two platforms is a very dead platform that hardly anyone cared for

ethomaz

Banned
That's not a single version of the game then.
There's a good reason why those are separated out and not counted the same.
OpenCritic count them together... it is just how you show on the site.

57 different reviewers on Metacritic give GTAIV 10/10.
49 different reviewers on Metactitic give Zelda 10/10.

For example... PS Magazine played the PS3 version... Xbox Magazine played the 60 version... both give 10/10 with different options... Nintendo Magazine give Zelda 10/10 too.

Accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom