• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview on MT Framework 2.0 and MT Framework Mobile on 3DS

Pooya

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/13/3ds_mt_framework_detailed/
andriasang has most of the article translated so don't bother with my train wreck here :p .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
game.watch

it's loooong.

MT Framework Mobile on 3DS

- Resident Evil Revelations
Revelations started for 3DS,it's not a project that was on another hardware and then moved to 3DS.
Takuechi says that at first people couldn't believe the results they were getting.
The game utilizes all the common rendering techniques on 360/PS3 like HDR rendering, surface shaders and normal maps, there are a lot more details in there and picture comparisons. Depth of field, gamma correction etc all are used.
In 3D mode it's 30fps (for each eye)

I don't know if these pics are new or not!!

Left without HDR, right with HDR
cap24.jpg
cap25.jpg

Left without color correction, right with it.
cap26.jpg
cap27.jpg

Motion Blur, apparently it's not compatible with 3D and is only used in 2D mode.

Left without motion blur, right with it.
cap34.jpg
cap35.jpg

Depth of Field
cap32.jpg
cap33.jpg

Normal maps
cap30.jpg
cap31.jpg

Surface shaders, self shadowing
cap28.jpg
cap29.jpg

Anti-Aliasing, it seems that there is up to 2xAA in 2D mode and it's off in 3D mode.

they say that although polygon count and resolution is lower than RE5 but Revelations has similar expression, or something around this.

Street Fighter IV 3DS, apparently it uses MTFM too.
cap38.jpg
cap37.jpg
cap36.jpg

They were questioned about the engine on PSP, iPhone and other mobile devices and Takuechi says that they are not doing it right now but if there is a nextgen PSP and specs are enough , he thinks they can do it.

MT Framework 2.0
-MVC3 is based on MTF2.1, targeting 60fps like DMC4. They are working with external studio for this project, this is the first time an studio outside of Capcom uses the engine.
-Lost Planet 2 for PC.
Support for DX11 tessellation is shown in some screenshots, water ripples are simulated in PC version unlike console version, there are some pics showing this.

Future
They are doing something with deferred rendering and adding support for more light sources, it gets too technical here.

Capcom development system
There is something about the development structure in capcom , blah blah, nothing important. Takuechi says that they will announce some stuff at TGS, surprise etc.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Don't let brain_stew enter the thread. He's gonna collapse. Too much info!

GaussTek

Wow indeed, pretty impressive.

And, apparently Super Street Fighter IV 3D is also using the MTFM, I didn't know that, nice!

Remember those saying those screenshots were CG? Or just plain Bullshots?

Good times. :lol

Also Capcom's tech this gen is excellent, MTF is one of the best multi platfrom engines, is incredible how well RE5 looks even this day. And the mobile version is getting results that no other title show can compare (maybe Metal Gear 3DS)

Vic said:
The models in the SSFIV backgrounds are still flat...

The game is still very early...and DOA uses 3D enviroments...there's still hope.

entremet

I wonder how long it takes before our armchair software engineers come saying this can't be realtime.

Vic said:

Game isn't finished yet.

That's some groovy stuff.
Nice to see more 3DS info.

Vic said:

Still in early development, though. We'll have to see how the final product turns out.

vazel

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Remember where saying those screenshots were CG? Or just plain Bullshots?

Good times. :lol

Also Capcom's tech this gen is excellent, MTF is one of the best multi platfrom engines, is incredible how well RE5 looks even this day. And the mobile version is getting results that no other title show can compare (maybe Metal Gear 3DS)

The game is still very early...and DOA uses 3D enviroments...there's still hope.
On the 360 and PC anyway.

Pooya

I haven't followed 3DS media closely so I didn't know if there were new or not, but yeah SFIV3D is using MTFM, there are some shots in there, I'll add to OP.

Also Motion Blur and 2xAA in 2D mode? We know how Brain_stew is gonna play 3DS games... :lol

vazel said:
On the 360 and PC anyway.

How is that? PS3 MTF games hold pretty well in most cases, RE5 and DMC4, looks almost the same in both consoles...

Relaxed Muscle said:
Also Motion Blur and 2xAA in 2D mode? We know how Brain_stew is gonna play 3DS games... :lol

It will create an interesting dynamic amongst players.
Those who want more effects and less jaggies will play with 3D off.
Those that want the full range of depth will play with 3D on.

vazel

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
How is that? PS3 MTF games hold pretty well in most cases, RE5 and DMC4, looks almost the same in both consoles...
Lost Planet, RE5, and DMC4 had inferior PQ on PS3.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, hopefully.

And SSFIV IS indeed using the MT Framework :D

entremet

vazel said:
Lost Planet, RE5, and DMC4 had inferior PQ on PS3.
Lost Planet was a botched port. I don't even think it was done in house. I can be wrong. In regards to PQ, I'm guess you're taking about the lack of 4xMSAA. Not to bad of a trade off, it's not really noticeable, unless you start doing some screen caps and side by side comparisons.

vazel

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Isn't that the case with almost all multipats titles, though?
Yes, but I think that's worth pointing out when people say MT Framework is one of the best multiplatform engines. UE3 engine does a better job of keeping parity between platforms.
entrement said:
Lost Planet was a botched port. I don't even think it was done in house. I can be wrong. In regards to PQ, I'm guess you're taking about the lack of 4xMSAA. Not to bad of a trade off, it's not really noticeable, unless you start doing some screen caps and side by side comparisons.
RE5 is missing some effects on PS3. DMC4 has this weird blur on PS3.

The character models in SSF4 do look really good, but yeah the backgrounds need a lot of work.
It'll probably look great in motion, though, regardless.

entremet

vazel said:
Yes, but I think that's worth pointing out when people say MT Framework is one of the best multiplatform engines. UE3 engine does a better job of keeping parity between platforms.
RE5 is missing some effects on PS3. DMC4 has this weird blur on PS3.
Yes. And those are very minor. Again, we're talking about multiplatform development. For Capcom to create such relative parity between two platforms with very different development architecture is impressive.

I'm sure you can spot minor differences in UE3 titles between PS3 and 360. And don't forget than some earlier UE PS3 titles looked significantly worse as well compared to their 360 versions.

Very interesting to hear it from the horse's mouth, but I think a lot of this was already deduced based on the released screenshots.

Well except for the mouth breathers in every thread who think everything is a bullshot.

vazel

Banned
entrement said:
Yes. And those are very minor. Again, we're talking about multiplatform development. For Capcom to create such relative parity between two platforms with very different development architecture is impressive.

I'm sure you can spot minor differences in UE3 titles between PS3 and 360. I don't forget than some earlier UE PS3 titles looked significantly worse as well compared to their 360 versions.
If you choose to overlook them that's fine. But it's worth mentioning the differences when people say it's one of the best multiplat engines. The differences are apparent, not minor(I remember the blur in DMC4 looking bad). Here's the digital foundry comparison article on RE5. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/face-off-resident-evil-5-article

UE3 does a much better job of keeping parity between platforms and it runs better on all platforms.

But GAF told me the RE5 stuff is pre-rendered FMVs and that Kid Icarus is the best the system can do! Capcom must be lying!

entremet

Cow Mengde said:
But GAF told me the RE5 stuff is pre-rendered FMVs and that Kid Icarus is the best the system can do! Capcom must be lying!
Nintendo own's studios are not the ones that are going to be making benchmark graphical showcases for this thing. Most of their programmers probably have no experience working with shaders, etc.

It's one of the few times im glad i work in retail. I will be sitting in my store overnite just so i can buy the first 3DS at my store when it is finally released :D .

Luigiv

miladesn said:
actually there is :lol , I'm working on it.
Cheers. I'd like to hear about it too. Capcom is definitely one of the best third party Gamecube/Wii developers so whilst not 3DS levels, I'm totally expecting some magic in that too.

Neo C. said:
Isn't it the other way around?:lol

Nobody bought the Wii. Everyone abandoned Nintendo because the Wii's graphics suck and Nintendo's on the verge of bankruptcy. The 3DS is their last chance to redeem themselves in the eyes of the graphic whores. Let's pray Nintendo will pull through so we can enjoy awesome graphics again.

Oh and someone remind me when VC is released on 3DS so I can play my SNES games on it.

Instro

Y2Kev said:
Absolutely stunning, but I prefer without HDR lol

At first glance I felt that way too but after looking at it again, I like the HDR version better. Definitely some impressive stuff here though.

miladesn said:
game.watch

it's loooong.

MT Framework Mobile on 3DS

- Resident Evil Revelations

Takuechi says that at first he couldn't believe the results they were getting.
The game utilizes all the common rendering techniques on 360/PS3 like HDR rendering, surface shaders and normal maps, there are a lot more details in there and picture comparisons. Death of filed, gamma correction etc all are used.

I don't know if these pics are new or not!!

Left without HDR, right with HDR
cap24.jpg
cap25.jpg

Left without color correction, right with it.
cap26.jpg
cap27.jpg

The "without" versions of both of those look better. Why does HDR in games produce the opposite effect of what it does in photography?

Top Bottom