• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bets on the next Hollywood Anime adaptation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I will turn into your typical fanboy if they ever seriously entertain doing a Bebop movie.

I WILL FUCKING FIGHT ALL OF HOLLYWOOD TO STOP THAT SHIT

Cowboy Bebop would be a pretty good candidate for westernization, since it was already heavily inspired by western media and music.

Instead we will get Neon Genesis through a Michael Bay filter.

Cowboy-bebop-754433.jpg
As much as I love cowboy bebop, as a fan I'd be way too picky for my own good if a live action version was made. Bebop would need like perfect casting, music that matched the original plus all the style rolled into one.

It's not a matter of it being hard these days, so much as it just would be a really expensive project. Back before widespread CG, a project like Gundam would have been prohibitively expensive because of the mobile suits needing to move and in large numbers. I don't want to take anything away from Return of the Jedi, but ILM was probably not disappointed that the fighters and capital ships in the space battle in the end didn't require much in the animation department.

Yep. The ship models are static in themselves, and could be filmed 'flying' by moving a camera around or on a basic rig. Gundam would have had to be done like a stop motion film, or have incredibly complex models for the time to achieve the humananoid movement.

As to what I expect... I bet somewhere, an exec is stewing on plans for a Code Geass adaptation. Bandai might be tempted by movie money depending on how the new Power Rangers does, while they're clearly interested in banking on nostalgia with the current anniversary. A re-adaptation of the origins of Zero would seem an obvious move at some stage.

Edit: Oh, bonus, a large chunk of the cast are technically American but can be played as Brits.

Meier

As much as I love cowboy bebop, as a fan I'd be way too picky for my own good if a live action version was made. Bebop would need like perfect casting, music that matched the original plus all the style rolled into one.

I think James Gunn could do it justice. A live action version would probably have a similar vibe to Guardians.

Wicked City would make a good adaptation. I would love a version of Azumanga Daioh. If someone adapted Millennium Actress and Americanized it would be great too.

Mesoian

Beyond AKIRA (which already seems to be in the pipeline), which anime do you think is next up in line to be whitewashed adapted by Hollywood?

With 90s kids coming into full adulthood and having lots of spending money, I'm thinking we're not too far from a Gundam adaptation. What I'm really rooting for though is a Netflix version of:

That looks like:

And not like:

You will never get what you want with a live action sailor moon show. Never ever.

Anyway, the correct answer is Akira. And it will likely be way worse than the original which already is overreaching when it comes to the scope of that story.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I want Gundam to happen, but the problem is that Star Wars and Star Trek need to die first in order for that to make it big.

PSqueak

Banned
I see OP already covered it but
gundam_origin_cover.jpg

Start from the beginning.

Giant robots + space war. Whats not to love.

You know, when and if this happens, i wonder how many people will bitch about Amuro or Char not being cast with asian actors, and i wonder how many of them will realize neither of the characters is japanese.

Kaiterra

Banned
You know, when and if this happens, i wonder how many people will bitch about Amuro or Char not being cast with asian actors, and i wonder how many of them will realize neither of the characters is japanese.

I won't accept Amuro Ray without his proper Canadian accent

Tiger & Bunny would be pretty cool, and different from the other superhero movies going on right now.
At the end of 2015 it was announced that a Tiger & Bunny film is in the works, produced by Ron Howard. There's been no news on it since though, so it might be dead.

I know they've been looking at Robotech/Macross for a long time, so I imagine it'll get a harder look if GitS does good business and/or Akira actually moves forward. Plus, it has the nostalgia factor to draw from.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cowboy Bebop would be a pretty safe bet, but I feel like it's more popular among infrequent anime viewers than it is among the actual filmmaking community, whose knowledge of anime, even if not precisely broad, tends to be less mainstream.

Like, I was really surprised to learn Man of Steel drew influences from Birdy the Mighty. Your average GAF user would never have heard of it much less see it inspire fight scenes in a big blockbuster.

Dragonball Z needs someone that's not a complete jackass (looking at you Jim Wong) to take a stab at faithfully adapting it. I've seen some incredible fan films that give me hope.

Bleach could also be really successful if handled right.

I don't see Naruto or Pokemon being worth a damn in a live-action medium. Too much hokey shit for their own good that would require alot of time and money on CGI.

I'm betting heavily on the success of Netflix's DeathNote to result in Netflix spending some big-time cash on other episodic adaptations, which I personally think is the best thing for a lot of manga/anime.

OP you know if that adaption happens you're getting a bunch of American girls. Hell going by Ghost in the Shell they'd probably be renamed if it wasn't for their names already having a translation.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
OP you know if that adaption happens you're getting a bunch of American girls. Hell going by Ghost in the Shell they'd probably be renamed if it wasn't for their names already having a translation.
I will actually watch/support Sailor Moon x Mean Girls.

blakep267

Lol yeah I would have ZERO faith in a American adaption of Naruto. Too many cultural differences between the source material and Hollywood that would get lost. It would be like Dragonball Evolution.

If there was one IP that would translate well into Hollywood is Berserk, but of course they can easily fuck that up as easily as they can do it justice.
What cultural differences? Aside from the fact that Naruto and Sasuke basically raised themselves( which can be handwaived away by giving them guardians or making the academy their "homes" in a sense. Other than that, maybe Haku being a boy dressed as a girl. But that really never made a difference to the actual plot other than naruto being confused

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Gundam is far too expansive to have a movie cover the conflict competently imo. I think Vampire Hunter D would fairly easy to translate in a single self contained movie. Akira, Ninja Scroll as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom