• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So What are Japan's impressions of the switch a month later?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
As the title says, what have been Japan's thoughts on it, if they're accepting it, if they are fine with getting games on it compared to 3DS, vita, etc.

There have been a lot of stuff posted on sales, and it's looking amazing right now. I'm waiting for American sales numbers to show up, but from Japan's perspective, it's a runaway success.

I'm very curious about this. Also super curious to see how it's marketed/pushed in Japan. Definitely sold as a console here in the west, but with mobile benefits.

I'd guess it won't really take off there till it gets Pokemon, Monster Hunter and DQX.

Jacce

Banned
Sales have been going up rather than down there of late. No recent system pulled that off this early.

Kudo

It's constantly out of stock, supply restrained, seems to be a good sign for starters that at least it's not completely rejected like some other platforms.

Lyriell

Yeah I went through BIC camera in Shinjuku last night... sold out... looked at every other shop I couls find and they are aold out too.

Hastati

I reeeeeally think Capcom should get MH on there as fast as possible. I'm guessing they'll show stuff during E3. Did Japan have a similar allotment compared to other territories or was it larger?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
There have been a lot of stuff posted on sales, and it's looking amazing right now. I'm waiting for American sales numbers to show up, but from Japan's perspective, it's a runaway success.

Way too early to say it's a "runaway success". Its sales are promising so far because it's sold out all the time, and last week when supply went up, it still sold out. However, even with those #s, it's still technically behind the 3DS & Wii U in terms of sales thanks to supply constraints. It's also still only the first month.

No idea what they think about the system yet though.

Maxinas

I'm very curious about this. Also super curious to see how it's marketed/pushed in Japan. Definitely sold as a console here in the west, but with mobile benefits.

I'd guess it won't really take off there till it gets Pokemon, Monster Hunter and DQX.

It's already gotten a significant boost just from the splatoon testfire. It'll only get better once a release date is announced and preorders open.

zeromcd73

n0iU0Vn.png
SOLD OUT SOLD OUT SOLD OUT

Not too good, tbh.
I can walk in any shop where I live and pick one up.
Amazon reviews are not too hot either.
All the kids that I know who have one don't really touch it that much. Especially since the software cost so damn much.
Everyone over here is more into Playstation now.

I thought Japan was super safe about stuff like that

Safe yes, but everyone will think you are a super nerd, and give you a wide berth.

DansDans

I'm in Osaka now and they are sold out on Yodobashi Camera.

I want one :(

Last Friday night (2 Fridays actually, 23th march) I was at Yodobashi (the one near Osaka Station) and they had STACKS of Switches - but they were selling pretty quick!

I know this doesn't help :(

KtSlime

I still haven't seen one in a train or otherwise.

There are like 35million people in Tokyo at any given moment but less than 600,000 Switches, that should be expected.

It is selling well, the one time I saw one in the store it sold instantly to some children.

There are lots of ads on TV and around, I haven't see any big billboard/mural ads, but word of mouth is good. Even non-gamers know what it is and how you slide the controllers on the sides. And pull it out the dock.

KtSlime

OP is asking about what they think of the console and every single post has been about how they're sold out in Japan lol

That is a difficult thing to answer for most here aside from showing that the sales are good. Whomever I speak to about the Switch they know about it, and think it is cool, and want Nintendo to do well (because Nintendo is the last console manufacturer in Japan and everyone knows the characters).

None of my friends have one yet, but they like that it is portable and can do some Wii like things. The children I saw at Geo this weekend were excited to finally find one for sale. One of them ran home to get money from their parents to buy it. People seem to be excited about the machine and the possibility of Nintendo turning things around.

Cyanity: they are, but they won't say anything. Also the things they are judgmental about are completely different than in the West. Generally Nintendo is looked more positively than Sony and doesn't have a strong otaku association. However otaku are becoming better accepted over the past decade.

FingerBang

The fact that is sold out in Japan doesn't mean it's going to be a success. I mean, I think and hope it will, but PSVR and PS4 Pro have been pretty much impossible to buy at stock price since launch.

I think there's a big problem with the number of units shipped here.

Also, the fact that I have never seen one on the train (and I live close to Shibuya) makes me feel uncomfortable with using it in public.

The fact that is sold out in Japan doesn't mean it's going to be a success. I mean, I think and hope it will, but PSVR and PS4 Pro have been pretty much impossible to buy at stock price since launch.

I think there's a big problem with the number of units shipped here.

Also, the fact that I have never seen one on the train (and I live close to Shibuya) makes me feel uncomfortable with using it in public.

We know how much are being sold in Japan each week.

The real test will be Splatoon 2, methinks. Going out and seeing multiple Switches linking up for a local Splatoon 2 tournament would be a good sign.

SalvaPot

I was able to buy one from a week after release, on a Saturday, at opening time, just as they were opening the box, with 3 people right behind me. On a kind-of-rural location.

And its been constantly sold out by then.

I can't convince my GF to use it on the train since we don't use it that often and Zelda is more of a home experience, since we like to point at stuff and yell.

I believe I'll start seeing them on trains when MK8D comes. That is a perfect train game.

hongcha

It seems to be popular, but we should be cautious. Wii U sold better in the same time frame, and we all know how that turned out.

It's just too soon to know right now.

Ascenion

I can vouch for this.

Played Zelda on my switch on the train to Osaka and absolutely no one sat next to me, lol.
I played my 3DS all the time and no one looked at me oddly for that. Now the beats I had on for music and the fact that I'm a 6 foot tall black man drew looks but aside from that. I miss the good ol super crowded Tozai line.

R00bot

I played my 3DS all the time and no one looked at me oddly for that. Now the beats I had on for music and the fact that I'm a 6 foot tall black man drew looks but aside from that. I miss the good ol super crowded Tozai line.
Six foot isn't even big unless you live in the UK or something. Are you ripped though? That might be it.

Ascenion

Six foot isn't even big unless you live in the UK or something. Are you ripped though? That might be it.

I wouldn't say I'm ripped, but I would say I'm a pretty big dude. Honestly it was my first time in Japan, and I was told I'd be bigger than everyone else and for the most part it was true. Just not height wise. There were tons of people hovering around 5'11" - 6' so I dunno where that misconception comes from.

R00bot

I wouldn't say I'm ripped, but I would say I'm a pretty big dude. Honestly it was my first time in Japan, and I was told I'd be bigger than everyone else and for the most part it was true. Just not height wise. There were tons of people hovering around 5'11" - 6' so I dunno where that misconception comes from.
My brother went to Japan and our whole family is pretty tall, so he got a few looks at 6 foot 5. A few people asked for pictures with him.
Also might have forgot we were talking about Japan earlier, coz yeah six foot is a bit bigger than average for Japan haha.

Top Bottom